[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repair/Mod General - Game Tech Wiki

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Gtw_mario.png (101KB, 684x629px) Image search: [Google]
Gtw_mario.png
101KB, 684x629px
Bring your repair, mod, and other technical questions here. What are you working on?

Don't forget to check the wiki:
http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Main_Page
>>
Dualshock 2 controllers should be compatible on a PS1. But for some reason only the d-pad, start and X work (for some reason X functions the same as start). How can I fix this?
>>
>>3089318
So it works with a PS2 but not the PS1? What is the effect of pressing the analog button?
>>
>>3089328
Doesn't do anything, also I was wrong. Every button + d-pad and analog sticks don't work. It just does things from itself. Other Dualshock 2 controllers seem to work.
>>
>>3089561
Sounds like a problem with the controller itself, then. The most common problem I've had with PS1/2 controllers is that one of the internal wires will break, usually around where the wire enters the controller. The most thorough thing to do to confirm this is to open the controller and test for continuity along each wire (I think there are 7.)

Here's another quick test: first of all, does the analog light come on if you press the button? If not, it's likely one of the wires that supplies power to the controller. Whether that's the case or not, try moving around the wire where it meets the controller while the controller's plugged in. You may find an orientation where it suddenly works. This would definitely indicate a wiring problem.

So what do you do if it is a wiring problem? Well, if the problem is near where it enters the controller, just cut the cable a couple inches away from the controller, strip the wires, check for continuity to make sure you've gone far enough. and then solder. Something which may help prevent this in the future is to pad the cable where it enters the controller with a couple layers of electrical tape.
>>
>>3089892
Yes, analog LED lights up. Also with what tool could I check the continuity?
>>
Not exactly retro but I got my hands on some Xbox's. Only problem is, they're 1.6.

Is there any way to soft mod these? From what I've read its impossible.
>>
>>3091078
Try Halo 2 on them, it should give a different number.
>>
Sometime ago I recovered my old PAL Megadrive/Genesis from my parent's, sadly it was stored in a humid basement since the early 00's.

Long story shot, it still works except all the "graphics" show up corrupted like the game is glitching, everything else seems functional though: it sounds right, you can press buttons and start game and (I'm assuming) control the characters, only everything just looks garbled. It happens on both RF and that one "scart out" output I never really used back in the day.

At first I thought it was the cartridges since they were all stored on the same place, but I acquired "new" games from a friend and it's all the same, mine seem to work perfectly on other units, too.

Anyone ever encountered something like this?
Thankfully I already got a backup unit off ebay since they're really cheap right now, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands all dirty just so I can play with the same unit I had in my childhood.
>>
>>3091131
What?
>>
>>3091193
>>3091131
>>3091078
I meant the mother board revision is 1.6 by the way.
>>
>>3091203
I thought you meant the Dashboard, haven't heard that certain motherboards won't allow softmodding.
>>
Wow, you mean there's softmodding for xbox too? I thought I had to do some stupid hacking together of a controller cord and a flash drive to get sweet sweet mods on the thing.

My problem is my virtual boy, I have the right eye going crazy all the time now, turning off or displaying glitchy images. As far as I've read that happens when the eye display is busted. I've tried the oven trick multiple times but it always quickly reverts. Is there something else I can do? I'm not very good at soldering for the record. I just want to finish Wario Land and Red Alarm and go back to getting mario clash high scores.
>>
>>3091302
>I thought I had to do some stupid hacking together of a controller cord and a flash drive to get sweet sweet mods on the thing.
Yeah, you have to do that to install the softmod..
>>
>>3091286
Well, I read about 1.0 to 1.5 having an EPROM the bios are stored on. On a 1.6 board its just an ROM and can't be flashed.
>>
So apparently ramming a piece of stripboard into the lower half of the expansion port on a NES with a resistor soldered across the strips contacting pins 6 and 9 gives you expansion audio without having to even open up the case to do an internal mod. And it's a hell of a lot easier to remove or change later.
>>
>>3093091
Seems your right, good thing you pointed this out because apparently I have a 1.6 and I was planning on doing this.
>>
>>3093693
Resistance is futile: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/home.php?cat=273
>>
>>3094720
I'm shit at soldering, I also don't know any modders near me willing to do it since according to them "The Xbox is too old to mod for"
>>
>>3089298
Anyone know of a good source of SNES homebrew sample code? In particular I'm looking for something that takes a few pages of text and lets you scroll up/down through them. I can mod anything similar, just don't want to write the whole shit from scratch.
>>
Do they still make replacements for the conductive silicon in those original 3 button controllers for the Genesis/Megadrive?
Is there any way I can replace mine without needing "the whole thing"?
>>
>>3089298
I just discovered the wiki and I had a question. Who actually made up the wiki ? Why is there so few contents, especially in "Repair" and "Mods" sections when other websites contain so much ? What can I do to contribute and where do I start ?
>>
>>3094720
>>3095119
Besides would it unlock the ED and HD video options for my PAL unit?
>>
>>3099057
Soldering flux?
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (6KB, 225x153px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
6KB, 225x153px
>>3100135
I mean pic.
Turns out I've found a couple sellers in ebay, but seems really expensive after shipment, it would be cheaper to get a new controller.
I have a few of those for X360 controllers, maybe I can try replacing the "black" thing only, somehow.
>>
>>3093091
I looked at it again, looks like this only counts for TSOP, game save should still work I think
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_modding
>>
>>3100187
The black things are called carbon conductive pads, and yes you could just glue the pads on from another source.

If your old ones aren't cracked but you have to press hard to make them work try rubbing the black pad on a piece of paper, it should streak off some of the black, but will clean the shine off the pad helping it make contact.
>>
Just ordered a VA2-VA5 model 1 Sega Genesis off ebay for $14. Other than S-video(I have no desire to go RGB) and Stereo mods, are there any other mods I should do on this thing?
>>
>>3100328
Hmmm alright.
>>
>>3101236
Region mod if you're looking to import. It's pretty simple on the model 1.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.