[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MOTHER General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 29

File: mother_final.jpg (673KB, 638x824px) Image search: [Google]
mother_final.jpg
673KB, 638x824px
MOTHER/EarthBound General

I'm creating this thread so that we don't continue to repeat ourselves with giant spurts of Mother/Earthbound shitposting on this board.
It seems that the trend here is whenever one MOTHER thread pops up, at least two more follow. Hopefully with this general we can condense it all into one discussion thread (I've specifically waited for the board to be free of these threads to create this general)
So, this is a MOTHER/EarthBound general thread, feel free to discuss the series' music environments or characters, post art, and discuss personal feelings about the games.
>>
My feelings about the games are that they're subpar and all three put together were less successful than the least successful Dragon Quest game.

My favorite thing about them is how they so easily ferret out newfag bandwagon retro gamers.
>>
MOTHER 3 > MOTHER 1 > MOTHER 2

Debate me.
>>
>>3087778
>subpar
Explain
>all three put together were less successful than the least successful Dragon Quest game.
That doesn't really mean anything.
>My favorite thing about them is how they so easily ferret out newfag bandwagon retro gamers.
It's like someone threw all of the meaningless elitist /vr/ buzzwords into a sentence but forgot to include 'hipster' and 'cuck'.
Do you have anything constructive to say about the subject matter or are you more concerned with superficial things like fanbase and sales numbers?
>>
Earthbound was the first hyped up retro game that I played that was actually pretty mediocre at best.

Hasn't happened since. And by hyped up I mean talked up as how good it is not how bad it is.
>>
>>3087798
Okay you don't want to talk about facts and would rather discuss things you can actually argue about okay I guess we could discuss the art design and gameplay and how DQ did it better ten years earlier and absolutely crushed it at the time or we could talk about its much-aggrandized storytelling, set in modern day about a child maturing. SMT does THAT better but it doesn't use the full-on childishness element that Mother uses so I guess I might be able to see the appeal to literal children and manchildren - but I think Pokemon does THAT better myself.

>>3087804
You are absolutely totally correct in that evaluation my friend and I'm glad you didn't take that game as representative of 90s RPGs. It was just Nintendo trying to do something they have no business trying to do.
>>
>>3087790
Other than switching 3 and 1 around you're right.
>>
>>3087824
I dislike Earthbound but how does SMT even approach the theme of a child maturing in the modern day? It's a postapocalyptic series about young adults and high schoolers.

There are a few games that I can compare Earthbound to in that regard such as Hourai High but they're all Japan-only and more importantly came after EB. Mother did pioneer and virtually monopolize the "Calvin and Hobbes" theme and aesthetic in JRPGs, the problem is that it is the ONLY thing the games have going for them, with Earthbound having awful gameplay and weak storytelling and Mother 3 sacrificing much of that carelessness for the sake of a serious plot and grimdark tearjerkers pandering to an older audience.
>>
>>3087753
I haven't revisted these games in a long time.

When I first played EB I was suspended from school for a week or something. I was an angsty shit so something in EarthBound really spoke to me, maybe it cause I found it genuine and filled with a lot of wonder and creativity. After that I made it a yearly tradition to replay it but sadly I let it slip a few too many years in a row.

Mother 1 I loved as well and played it at the same time as above. It had a bit of a darker tone than EB I felt and something about being 8 Bit and so simple in many ways really intruiged me at the time. I fucking loved the original Magicant even then and Snowman is still my favorite song. I flop between Mother or Earthbound as my favorite but it's so close.

Now I haven't played either in a while but was super ecstatic that Earthbound Zero is a thing. That's a big step forward.
>>
>>3087839
*Earthbound Beginnings
God dammit memory, stop fucking with me
>>
>>3087824
>Okay you don't want to talk about facts and would rather discuss things you can actually argue about.
That's the nature of a discussion
>DQ did it better ten years earlier
Three years earlier, actually. MOTHER is full of references and jokes about Dragon Quest. It's actually much funnier if you've played any of the famicom DQ releases. Especially considering the context of MOTHER's conceptualization and release its similarities to the DQ series shouldn't really be a surprise.
>and absolutely crushed it at the time
Again, MOTHER wasn't really designed to compete with DQ sales-wise, so this shouldn't really come as a surprise. After all, the writer of MOTHER wasn't a game designer by trade.
>we could talk about its much-aggrandized storytelling, set in modern day about a child maturing.
Which game in particular are you talking about?
>SMT does THAT better but it doesn't use the full-on childishness element that Mother uses
If by full-on childishness you mean simple graphics and solid colors then you're right, the MOTHER series definitely does do that. I don't believe the games themselves are fundamentally childish but I do think the art direction and character design is more than enough to make your stereotypical jaded otaku JRPG enthusiast call it 'kiddie shit'.
>I guess I might be able to see the appeal to literal children and manchildren - but I think Pokemon does THAT better myself.
And there it is.
>You are absolutely totally correct in that evaluation my friend and I'm glad you didn't take that game as representative of 90s RPGs. It was just Nintendo trying to do something they have no business trying to do.
You are a living, breathing satirization of JRPG fans.
>>
File: Gokinjo-Boukentai[1].png (993KB, 771x695px) Image search: [Google]
Gokinjo-Boukentai[1].png
993KB, 771x695px
Earthbound has the fantastic "instakill weak enemies for free exp" mechanic which i haven't seen in any other RPG for some reason
otherwise I found it pretty meh in terms of gameplay like most DQ games and its clones
loved Mother 3 though, and I haven't played the first one

pic related is a game called Gokinjo Boukentai (Neighborhood Adventure Troop) which has a supposedly similar style to the Mother series if anyone is interested (it's untranslated unfortunately)
>>
File: MotherJ.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MotherJ.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
I guess I'm glad I got into the Mother series not because of any "retro hipster hype", but because I was a long time fan of Moonriders and Keiichi Suzuki, and I found out he wrote the soundtrack for the Mother games so I decided to check them out. Wasn't expecting anything other than enjoy the soundtrack, and ended up loving the whole package, I played the series in release order.
I didn't found out about the "crazy cult fanbase" until after I played the second game.

>>3087875
This one has a funky, jazzy soundtrack too
>>
File: 1442791606200.jpg (303KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442791606200.jpg
303KB, 1200x600px
>>3087824
Videogames are a childish hobby to most people, if justifying your maturity by telling other people they're childish then fuck off. If you think mother games are shit simply say their shit and say why.
>>3087839
Good story, have you played 3? I recommend playing it as well if you like 1 and 2. Very different but good in my opinion.
>>
>>3088012
I did say they were subpar and failed games. They're not total shit they're just subpar. I suppose part of it is being an adult when Earthbound was released and a young edgy one at that but I DID enjoy Pokemon since it was, you know - original.

But then "debate me" fags like >>3087865 demand me to completely justify my declining to rave about his precious meme game so that he can find any subjectivity in my reasoning and attack it/get butthurt about the game's appeal being straight up childish.

Video gaming in general hasn't been considered "childish" since my generation matured it in the 90s although it's still kind of considered a youth culture thing with regard to modern gaming. Good thing I've got a kid myself now so I'm not socially limited to only nostalgia/retro gaming!

Damn it's never been so great to be almost 40!
>>
File: 1456537334032.jpg (352KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1456537334032.jpg
352KB, 900x675px
>>3088048
Ok, I'll be honest and say I thought you were just trying to derail the thread. It pisses me off when someone shits on a game, add no real evidence, and then get replies as if they add to the thread. Interesting how old you are that you played it at release. Have you tried 1 and 3? I'm just curious as I have heard people say they loath 2 but enjoy 1 and/or 3. Disscussing the mother series is so interesting to me as people have really differing thoughts on them. Videogames still have a rather childish stigma with them, I think in a generation or two that actually will change.
>>
>>3088048
I never once asked you to like the games, you seem to be under the impression that A: I want you to like the game and B: that I hate dragon quest. I'm simply interested in discussing the games and assumed that someone stating their opinion in a discussion thread would feel the same.
No one asked you to bend over and worship the games, I was just questioning your opinion.
Maybe I provided too much ammunition for your retro gamer persona's victim complex by replying in the first place.
>>
File: gameplayers6[1].jpg (106KB, 762x432px) Image search: [Google]
gameplayers6[1].jpg
106KB, 762x432px
>>3088065
I actually skipped it right at release for a number of reasons
>$80 price tag (forcing you to buy the strategy guide) and I was just getting out on my own
>Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6
>Playstation
It also got quite mediocre magazine reviews if you had graduated from Nintendo Power to EGM by that time (and other mags) and just simply didn't look worth it. I bought a copy in 1998 when I was working at a used game store right fresh out of a sealed case and by that time my standards were inflated to FF7 and Tactics levels. I played it for a few hours, decided I was right to have never wasted my time with it, deleted my save game and reassembled it to stay in mint condition until I sold it in 2009 for $500. Maybe I should have held onto it longer but that money padded a rough time in my life so fuck it. I have lots of other high ticket items left that I feel are much more representative of my personality.

I played Mother 1 a little later and enjoyed it slightly more on a "Wow I bet I would have liked this if it had came to the US in the 80s" kind of way.

>>3088078
>Maybe I provided too much ammunition for your retro gamer persona's victim complex by replying in the first place.
That's funny. Is that what I'm doing here? Are there really so few quality posters left on /vr/ that we're each starting to develop recognizable personas?
>>
>>3088117
Either you post in at least half the MOTHER threads here or there's another DQ fan who feels personally attacked every time the series is brought up here.
>>
>>3088124
That's not me, I'm only using DQ as a standard by which other games are (and rightfully should be) measured. Earthbound just fails to live up to that standard. You can try to argue that Nintendo wasn't trying to make a game as good as the competing DQ game, you can even somehow try to argue that it wasn't competing with DQ6 despite being right beside it on Japanese shelves but you'll never be able to convince me they intended to be left with warehouses full of unsold copies - the very unsold copies that made their way into the hands of the scummiest of the true scumbag "resellers" who created an artificial scarcity and can be held directly responsible for inflating the retro bubble.
>>
>>3088153
There is no medium save for consumeristic pop music whose value is determined bby the number of copies sold.
>>
>>3088213
>muh unappreciated in his own time
Video games are first and foremost consumer media and Shigesato Itoi is not Pablo Picasso or Franz Kafka
>>
>>3088153
It was competing with a game that wasn't released until a year later?

>>3088234
Cinema is first and foremost consumer media as well. So were many, many classic compositions that people now consider masterpieces. What's your point?
>>
>>3088320
That Earthbound is not and will never be considered a masterpiece and that anyone who would even argue for one second that it will be has poor taste.
>>
>>3088117
Reviews were correct. Run of the mill game. Only popular now do to fedora retro hipsters.
>>
>>3088330
What then do you consider a masterpiece. Since you're so content in namedropping Picasso and Kafka you must have some video game which you regard highly enough to call a masterwork.
It seems that whatever got a good score in a video game magazine (that's been out of print for eighteen years at this point) must be the best game.
Or maybe we should look at the sales numbers for all video games to determine the greatest game of all time. According to wikipedia, the greatest game of all time is a mobile port of tetris released in 2006.
Pack it up everybody, it's gonna be a while before we find something that can sell 425 million copies again.
>>
Lol look at me and my edgy opinions. Earthbound? More like GaybabyBound.
Contrarian 4 life.
>>
>>3088048
Holy fucking shit, Im doing to need chemo therapy after reading this. Get off your high horse and stop being a pretentious ass wipe. People can like different things without you belittling them at every opportunity.
>>
>>3088320
>Cinema
shit medium desu
>So were many, many classic compositions that people now consider masterpieces
they were appreciated by people with a higher level of education ("mozart was popular among the masses" is a myth) whereas videogames are appreciated by manchildren

stop shitposting m8
>>
Earthbound is a cult classic with a few redeemable qualities to it, but with the rise of the internet and autistic Nintendo fans they have ruined it's reputation and I never mention it as one of my favorite games anymore unless somebody else brings it up.
>>
>>3088392
>Tell me what you like so I can shit on it
Okay see the thing about truly brilliant, transcendent art is that the artists create it for its own sake, purely as an expression of their passion. Maybe there are some people out there these days making indie games purely as artistic expression and maybe one of those people is advancing his personal vision of the essence of gaming to a level of true brilliance that will not fully be appreciated for decades. We can't say for sure but what I CAN tell you for sure is that no Mother game has been revolutionary, innovative or influential at all. Berzerk, Super Mario Brothers, Ultima, Legend of Zelda, Doom, Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid these are great games. No criticism you can make will take away that they defined genres and reverberated for years and decades.

>>3088542
Oh I'm sorry did I invade your safe space and confront you with the cold hard reality that these are B-grade games on their best day? Does it make you feel threatened that I actively hate the Earthbound fanbase because they're largely responsible for the worst aspects of the retro gaming scene? By elevating this dud of a game that's not even good and not even rare to some mythical grail of retro games you've started a wildfire of speculative investing and soulless demand across the board and I'm the cancer? Fine, here's some love for you - thank you for increasing the value of my personal collection far above what I ever dreamed was possible since paying off my mortgage was probably exactly your intent. Thanks, Buddy! Earthbound still isn't great though.
>>
i love to see a thread like this.. love to the saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxtUNvrWdU
>>
Great atmosphere, subpar game-play, almost negligible story. It's basically like a good walk in a park or something.
>>
>>3088660
I would like to headbutt this guy in the face
>>
>>3088649
You seem triggered. Here's some more fuel for your irrational, misdirected rage: EarthBound is the video game equivalent of Carlo Gesualdo.
Might I add that there's no reality to what you're suggesting, just an unsubstantiated opinion typed out by a jaded retard on the internet who has deluded himself into believing that his opinion is somehow more correct than anyone else's. I don't feel threatened by your internet tough guy persona at all, because at the end of the day I won't like EarthBound any less despite your active opposition to my opinion. Why should I feel threatened by the shitty, incoherent opinion of an anonymous poster on a website full of thousands of anonymous posters and hundreds of thousands of shitty, incoherent opinions. All you're doing is shitting up an EarthBound general thread.
You're a one man non profit organization that tirelessly serves the intrinsically meaningless cause of not liking something.
>>
>>3088608
Who are not as bad as the Genesis "it actually had better sound and graphics than the SNES" double chinned autistic dunces, BTW.
>>
>>3088678
I seem triggered? Wow you are projecting pretty hard. You're the one who's crying "cancer" "quit belittling me" "I like what I like even if it's objectively mediocre" and yes, I intentionally use the word "objectively" because it falls short in every single quality it possesses which can be measured. In fact, I assure you that were I to take the time to assemble the documentation I could quite clearly substantiate my "opinion" that the artificial, undeserved hype surrounding this game in particular preceded its obscene overvaluing and that overvaluing preceded the retro gaming investing/stockpiling boom. It's your fault and here you are in 2016 still fucking doing it. Please for the love of Bushnell let it die.
>>
>>3088687
>it actually had better sound and graphics than the SNES

It did though. The Exodus could run 3D games without needing external chips and FM synth > ultra-compressed wavetable samples. Just face it, your favourite retro system was utter trash.
>>
>>3088720
Hey, the Megadrive may have been weak but don't call it utter trash!
>>
>>3088687
I think the SNES usually has better graphics due to more colours, but the Mega Drive normally has better music (although, when a Mega Drive game has bad music, it's REALLY BAD). The Mega Drive is also generally better at handling action games without slowdown.
>>
>>3088012
>Good story, have you played 3? I recommend playing it as well if you like 1 and 2.
Aw thanks anon. I actually haven't played 3, at the time I was playing 1 and 2 the translation for 3 wasn't actually done yet (IIRC), so I waited and welp it's been out for a while and still haven't gotten to it. It lingers in the back of my mind and I WILL play it someday.
>>
I dunno about you guys, but I'm mad as hell that it's 9.99 on the eshop and the other snes games are 7.99.
It's only 2$ but still they are assholes for doing that.
Yes I know I can get it for free online and have it on all my laptops but I do still pat for games that I love put of respect for the companies.
>>
>>3087753
>MOTHER general

Please no. I'm saying this as a huge EarthBound fan: we don't need a general for the series. There's really not enough to discuss about the series like there is with Doom or RCT, which have new content constantly being made. This thread is just going to turn into a shitpost fest, with either the autistic MOTHER fanboys or the equally autistic MOTHER haters taking over.
>>
File: somekids.png (5KB, 494x438px) Image search: [Google]
somekids.png
5KB, 494x438px
Wow didn't expect so much hate in this thread. I personally like earthbound and adore mother 3. While they have their flaws I appreciate the aesthetic more than anything.
>>
File: 1427587419250.jpg (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1427587419250.jpg
3MB, 2480x3508px
>>3089143
I imagine OP had good intentions but you're right, there really isn't that much to discuss. Honestly not enough news on the series, the only true mystery we have left is the n64 mother 3, which I imagine will never be found or possibly doesn't exist outside of nintendo's vaults. Although not retro next month is the 10th anniversary of mother 3 so I guess that is exciting, just not for this board.
>>
>>3088117
>Innovation: 5
Nice to new criticfags were always hacks
>>
>>3087930
Off topic but do you know where one could find moonriders' music?
>>
>>3089327
I agree 5 is way too generous
>>
>>3090053
Not him but I've found some of his stuff on youtube by searching his name. Another thing that you might be interested in is the album "penguinism" which was written and sung by shigesato itoi.
>>
>>3088912
>better sound

Just fuck off already
>>
>>3087778
>how they so easily ferret out newfag bandwagon retro gamers.

i began playing the series expecting them to be average but Earthbound has become one of my favourite games

>>3087790
1 is just not that fun to play and the animations mixed with the colours give me migrains

i physically cannot play the game for more than 30 minutes before it knocks me unconscious
>>
>>3090136
>Earthbound has become one of my favourite games
Literally why?
>>
>>3090161
personally feel like it aged really well

half the time it feels like you're playing a modern JRPG with a retro aesthetic just because of how good the story is and i found myself really immersed in the world

desu i found the game pretty tedious and annoying up until i met paula, it really started to click with me after the whole happy happy village part

i think its also quite nice how the game doesn't take itself seriously and looks really childish until it takes the really creepy turn at the ending.
>>
File: 1419924319520.jpg (34KB, 257x316px) Image search: [Google]
1419924319520.jpg
34KB, 257x316px
>>3090161
Because that person holds a different opinion? Are you a idiot?
>>
>>3088703
The thing is, you say that you believe the game is mediocre, yet you're the most frequent poster in the general.
Allow me to let you in on a little secret in regards to perception of a given thing, nothing can be objectively bad or good or even mediocre. The word 'objective' encompasses every observation qualitative or quantitative that can be made about said thing that are completely void of influence from personal opinion or prejudice. On the other hand, good and bad (or in this case mediocre) are interpretations of objective information. Thusly, something cannot be objectively bad, good, or even mediocre in the same way as I cannot point to a two trees and tell you that I see five trees.
But please, since you've gone through the trouble of letting us all know your opinion, assemble a fucking thesis on it. I would love to read even more meaningless, incoherent drivel from an autistic manchild who by his own claims is going on forty. Please, for the love of all that is holy continue posting in a general dedicated to a series you hate. Your prattling, long-winded rants about game prices and JRPGs are absolutely enlightening to us plebeian normies who don't understand what true gaming is all about. We're all slowly starting to see the light and it's all because of you. That's it! The emperor wears no clothes, EarthBound is a sham!
Your insistence has paid off, my opinion is now yours. So now that you've won the argument, will you kindly fuck off?
>>
>>3087790
Mother 1 remake or nes?
>>
>>3090365
There flawed, there not flawed enough for me to dislike and flawed enough for you to dislike it. We have different opinions, not dumb shit about a "meme" game aka "I don't like it so its a meme".
>>
>>3090365
I'm not mad, I'm trying to explain to you that what you're doing is not only a gross allocation of energy, but also meaningless in an absolutely profound way which you have somehow not realized.
>>
>>3090416
*misallocation
>>
Played the series for the first time recently expecting they'd be overrated, maybe they are but they're still some of the better JRPGs I've played.

Gonna counter the negativity with some things I like about Earthbound in no particular order:

>incredibly atmospheric and unique soundtrack
>trash mobs run away instead of wasting your time
>party members feel genuinely different in battle
>interesting setting, weird mix of childish and dark elements
>rolling HP meters were a nice touch
>weird things you'd never see in another game like item deliveries and homesickness as a status ailment
>genuinely funny at times

If the boss fights were better and it had a few side quests I'd probably rate it above Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3090426
Cut this out logical and thoughtful posts are not allowed here.
>>
>>3090426
i'd agree with everything there desu

though atm id still rate it above chrono trigger because im still playing through that currently and havent quite gotten fully into it yet

i remember how weird it felt when i realised Ness is pretty much the main healer, i was expecting paula to learn lifeup at some point and Ness would become just a tank

i don't think i've came across a healer/tank kind of character since WoW paladins but i cant even remember if they could heal, they were also pretty bad tanks compared to warriors
>>
Jesus fucking christ.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

THIS FUCKING THREAD.

AGAIN.

"Mother Thread. Please tell how you think the Mother series is the greatest series every conceived and developed."

"I don't"

"LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU'RE WRONG!!! MUSIC!!! ATMOSPHERE!!! FEELS!!! THE GREATEST EVER!"

"No it's terrible I hate it, shitpost shitpost did I trigger you? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITPOOOOOOOOST!"

"NO YOU DIDN'T YOU'RE WRONG!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIITPOOOOOOOOST!!!"

Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>3091083
Yeah the roles of Ness/Paula caught me off guard as well. I didn't like it at first because I tend to play damage dealers but I came around to the idea. Not sure it made the game any better/worse but it was refreshing.
>>
>>3090358
There's no remake of Mother 1.
>>
>>3091428
I'm trying to pop the retro bubble

t. Real Gamer
>>
>>3091480
I believe they're talking about the mother 25th anniversary edition.
>>
>>3091543

>those trees
>>
>>3091428

Except nobody said that Mother is the best ever, but still anti-motherfags keep posting their opinions.
>>
File: 1449110838459.jpg (436KB, 691x565px) Image search: [Google]
1449110838459.jpg
436KB, 691x565px
>>3091568
Personally I don't like the look of it and prefer the original, still impressive though
>>
>>3091543
Is there any way to get Mato's retranslation+the NES soundtrack without all the revisionist crap in that romhack?
>>
File: tumblr_n9dlgzp7NS1r2qunro1_1280.jpg (625KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9dlgzp7NS1r2qunro1_1280.jpg
625KB, 900x1300px
>>3091590
No unfortunately, a patch to fix the color and music was planned but only the color was fixed and the patch was never finished. Really a shame, I prefer tomato's translation greatly and have to say I still recommend the gba version with the color restoration patch.
>>
Mother 4
>>
>>3091480
There's a fangame hack for EarthBound that is in the works right now that serves as a Mother 1 remake. It's been four years in the making but the screenshots look nice.
>>3091619
What about it?
>>
Playing earthbound for the second time through. Its a grindfest but sometimes I just like to shut off my brain and play something mindless.
>>
>>3091619
Honestly it looks good, it's sort of tradition for a MOTHER game to get stuck in development hell. I'm most afraid of the team fucking up the writing,
>>
>>3091707
>earthbound/mother 2
>grindfest
You sure we're playing the same game? Other then Frank grinding has been unnecessary in all seven of my playthroughs.
>>
>>3090161
Great atmosphere, intentionally and effectively funny translation job, great soundtrack, good story.

Fuck, /vr/, don't be like those faggots on /tv/ or /a/. Earthbound's well liked for a reason, and there's literally no reason to shit on the people who enjoyed it.
>>
>>3092085
Yeah, the only time I ever really needed to grind was in the second desert, and even then that took about 20-25 minutes tops.
>>
>>3091428
More like
>Let's talk about Earthbound games.
>No, it sucks
>We don't think it sucks. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads.
>No, fuck you for liking this game I hate. I'm not going anywhere.

Then the shitposting ensues.
>>
>>3090278
Well fucking said, anon.
>>
>>3087875
>it's untranslated unfortunately

Welcome to my personal hell. All the NES adventure games I really want to play are also untranslated.

I'm still amazed that Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, known for being directed by Suda51 and having the most grim ending in any wrestling game, still hasn't been translated.
>>
>>3092153
I literally fucking quote
>feel free to discuss the series' music environments or characters, post art, and discuss personal feelings about the games.
My opinions and personal feelings were attacked for being less than sycophantic.

That's an Earthbound thread. The game is less than great for sure but the fan base is pure millennial crybaby cancer.and should be purged to a containment board.
>>
>>3092164
Duly noted. You don't have to repeat yourself over and over. It'll just be ignored.
>>
>>3092164
>No, fuck you for liking this game I hate
check
>I'm not going anywhere
check

How bout I respect your opinion and we both move on with our lives.
>>
File: moonridersYS.jpg (168KB, 624x616px) Image search: [Google]
moonridersYS.jpg
168KB, 624x616px
>>3090053

Here's 4 albums by them to get started.
http://waxmask.blogspot.com.ar/2012/09/moon-riders-mega-post.html

There used to be a lot of blogs with the whole discography uploaded, but it was all Megaupload links...
>>
>>3092164
>My opinions and personal feelings were attacked for being less than sycophantic.

And you're attacking others' opinions and personal feelings. What makes you so special?
>>
>>3092164
>MY OPINION MUST BE RESPECTED
>YOU SHOULD BE SENT TO A NEW BOARD FOR EXPRESSING OPINIONS I DON'T SHARE
>>
So, Mother 1 is hard as everloving fuck so far. Maximum grindfest.
Is the story worth it? Does it end up diving into serious the way Earthbound did?
>>
File: mother_enemies_trans.jpg (610KB, 1563x1148px) Image search: [Google]
mother_enemies_trans.jpg
610KB, 1563x1148px
>>3092184

It's not hard man, it's just the usual 8bit RPG with random encounter, never played Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy before? Mother 1 aint' that bad.

I think the story is worth it, but if you're not enjoying the trip, don't force your way in.
>>
>>3092163
I feel ya
I'm surprised Gokinjo Boukentai hasn't been translated though, considering how many generic JRPGs have been translated.
It has a setting similar to mother's, an interesting battle system and a unique leveling system.
I guess it's because of the childish look
My best bet is to hope some translator takes pity upon it, or to learn how to translate myself
>>
>>3092203
Hard isn't really the right word.
Time consuming is probably what I'm looking for. You tend to spend a lot of time grinding, much moreso than its sequels.

I might consider getting the rebalanced ROM if its too much of a hassle.
>>
>>3092216
Find me someone to hack it and I'll think about it
>>
>>3092216
At this point I'm on the brink of just trying to learn the language myself.
>>
>>3092219
thanks for the offer, but I don't know anyone in the hacking community

>>3092220
yeah, at least you get to learn a new language
>>
>>3092219
Romhacking has a guide for, appropriately, hacking ROMs. Has a translation section too.
http://www.romhacking.net/start/

I may look into it unless it's just that complicated. Something tells me it won't be ridiculously hard, though.
>>
Here's my Earthbound story of the day. Figured I'd share here.

>see a copy of Earthbound go up on craigslist for 200 or best offer
>email offering 150 since I really want the game
>he agrees
>feels good!
>we set up a meeting time for saturday morning
>wake up pretty happy, knowing I'm getting a personal grail
>hit thr atm with a shit eating grin on my face, drive to meeting spot
>guy is fifteen late
>doesn't matter I'm getting earthbound
>had my bit driver with me just in case
>dude pulls up next to me in a shit car that smells like exhaust the second he gets in range
>notice baby in the rear of car
>he hands me the game
>the label is a laughable joke of a repro, one of the worst I've ever seen
>don't even bother checking thr board
>tell the guy he's a scumbag
>he gets all defensive like he doesn't know what's up
>pull off in my car disappointed
Feels bad man.
>>
File: 1429434933584802.png (298KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1429434933584802.png
298KB, 480x640px
>>3092258
That sucks, sorry about the shitty experience. Bext time ask for actual pictures of the cart.
>>
>>3092184
It was worth it for me, but I actually enjoy the grinding sometimes.
>>
>>3092319
Yeah it kind of sucks. Just happened today so I'm a little salty.
Even told the guy in the most politest possible terms via email that since it was a high end game I would be inspecting the board and label before buying and that I knew what to look for.
Figured since he agreed it was legit and he wouldn't waste both of our times.
Craigslist man.
>>
>>3092172
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

>>3092167
I also do N64 general threads. Watch for me. implying it's just one person who hates on this type of shit

>>3092173
Nah, it's your reactions and your just whole general "way". The only thing keeping Nintenyearolds from being treated like Bronies is your poor organization or possibly your sense of shame in real life.
>>
>>3092857
You are without exception the most arrogant, deluded, and self-absorbed poster on this entire board. It is with absolute amazement that I can tell you right now that you hate things far more than anyone, even the most dedicated fanboy, could like them.
Your lack of self awareness is baffling in a way I can't even begin to comprehend.
The only way I can describe what a complete and utter cunt you are is with the word 'cosmic'. You are the first person I have ever called a cosmic cunt.
It's confounding to me that people like you are even able to function in the real world, because even if this is bait, it's seriously worrying to think that someone could think like this, even ironically.
>>
File: 1452652708677.jpg (13KB, 324x291px) Image search: [Google]
1452652708677.jpg
13KB, 324x291px
>>3092319
>that pic
>>
>>3092857
Filter the game then you pretentious hack.
>>
>>3092857

Honestly you sound like a brony yourself.
>>
i really like mother 1, and its maybe the only game id put on a top 10 or similar despite having shitty gameplay (its downright awfully tedious and imbalanced at times)! i dont know, something just does it for me. i think what i liked the most is how the world doesnt feel like its tailored to your journey, apart from the police blockade and boulder. a lot of things are there just for the sake of them being there, like the glasses sidequest, the monkey cave and the island doctor.
>>
>>3093202
I know man, that's like my favorite piece of Earthbound art.
>>
>>3093981
Because I'm full of hate for your asinine sub-subculture?
>>
File: 52345f78g4pfwmZF.png (301KB, 600x770px) Image search: [Google]
52345f78g4pfwmZF.png
301KB, 600x770px
>>3093202
Yeah, if this was /v/ I would more cute art. My mother folder is over 3000 pictures, only top quality.

Have another cute Ness/Paula picture.
>>
>>3094520
Because you demand we care about your opinion and you come off like a low functioning autist.
>>
>>3094520

Just because of the "full of hate" part, I don't consider to be part of any "asinine sub-culture" and I'm certainly not married with any specific video game company.

You are part of the problem, instead of being obsessed with Nintendo in a positive way, you are obsessed in a negative way, you're not better than the "nintenyearolds" you hate. You're part of them, because you're emotionally invested with them.
>>
>>3094520
quite ironic that you're adding in "asinine" to try and make yourself look less stupid
>>
>>3094596
Post more art please.
>>
>>3094696
Because Bronies are so edgy right?
>>
>>3094796
I feel bad art dumping here, guess I'll post some though if you want. I'll only post earthbound pictures.
>>
File: 1426608942097.jpg (672KB, 1000x450px) Image search: [Google]
1426608942097.jpg
672KB, 1000x450px
>>3094932
>>
File: 1432541610963.png (2MB, 1434x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1432541610963.png
2MB, 1434x1034px
>>3094934
From the rythem heaven artist.
>>
File: 5925814_orig.jpg (465KB, 714x800px) Image search: [Google]
5925814_orig.jpg
465KB, 714x800px
>>3094939
>>
File: mother2p.jpg (817KB, 1057x1920px) Image search: [Google]
mother2p.jpg
817KB, 1057x1920px
>>
>>3094943
>>
File: 1430716942619.png (94KB, 850x650px) Image search: [Google]
1430716942619.png
94KB, 850x650px
>>3094952
>>
File: 1451590685144.jpg (3MB, 1866x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1451590685144.jpg
3MB, 1866x1178px
>>3094963
Last one.
>>
>>3094983
These are awesome, thanks anon.
>>
File: 46865219_p3_master1200.jpg (244KB, 480x819px) Image search: [Google]
46865219_p3_master1200.jpg
244KB, 480x819px
>>3095569
Thanks anon, maybe I'll post some more if the thread continues on.
>>
Anyone that's played it, how is the 3DS port of Earthbound, and what's the likelihood of the other games being released the same way?
>>
>>3095846
Sadly I doubt we'll ever see a 3ds release of EarthBound Beginnings because the wii u didn't sell well so keeping a beloved and unreleased game on a poorly selling system is a better business decision than porting it to a cheaper and better selling handheld.
I legitimately believe they could localize Mother 3 and make a profit from consoles sold alone considering gba games don't get 3ds ports and people have been pushing for an official localization for nearly ten years.
>>
>>3094520
Liking a video game doesn't make it a sub culture.
The only thing worse than not liking a game someone else likes is going into a thread of said game you don't like complaining about how much you hate it.

You must be one of those atheists that go church every week to tell people how stupid they are for being there cuz god ain't real.
>>
>>3098340
Oh hey, you're back pretending to be another person.
>>
>>3098340

Motherhaters are even more annoying.

Age.
>>
>>3098607
>We're not a subculture we're more like a religion

>>3099060
>Still thinking I'm the one and only person beating the fuck out of this thread

I'm just pleased I got in at the very beginning with calm and reasonable criticism that triggered unreasonable responses from you fags. This is my favorite Mother thread in a while. Very accurate representation of the fanbase.
>>
>>3099220
Is acting like a teenager on the internet part of the midlife crisis you're having or have you just been edgy and autistic your whole life?
>>
>>3099614
both tbqhfamalamadingdong
>>
>>3099220
Are you ok man? You seem in a dark place in life, I think you should step away from the computer and like... get some perspective. This behavior isn't healthy.
>>
>>3099061
Except I don't hate MOTHER. Just its tumblr-tier fanbase, and this thread for not having any good discussion.
>>
>>3101467

Well you're still annoying.
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.