[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SNES RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Wikipedia_SNES_PAL[1].jpg (113KB, 1200x850px) Image search: [Google]
Wikipedia_SNES_PAL[1].jpg
113KB, 1200x850px
Sup /vr/

I'm looking for one or two good RPGs on the SNES/Super Famicom to play over the holidays. I've already played through the Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound and liked all of them (well, FFIV not so much, but the others). I generally prefer turn-based RPGs to action RPGs. Also I don't speak moon so it needs to have a good translation.

I know that I can find plenty of SNES RPGs using google, and I know about games like Metal Max, Romancing Sa-Ga, Dark Half, Tales of Phantasia etc. but there are so many of them and there seem to be lots of mixed opinions out there so I don't know which one to play, so let's hear your opinions on good SNES RPGs. Which ones are the best? Which ones should be avoided?
>>
>>3085014
You should give Live a Live a go, it's short but sweet. It is one of the most universally adored SNES RPGs
>>
>>3085014
I'd recommend Breath of Fire II, and Super Mario RPG. And I know you said you're not into action RPGs, but I would also look into the Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma).
>>
Lufia 2, is a pretty fun RPG.
>>
>>3085046
Terranigma is great
>>
Learn Japanese over the holidays.
>>
>>3085083
I am trying to learn, but I'm also aware that a thing like learning a language takes time and, realistically, it will probably take me at least a year before I can actually play anything in Japanese. That is the eventual goal though.
>>
>>3085086
You learn a language by using it.
You'll never know every word that might show so you'll have to look stuff up no matter how late you start with actually applying your learned knowledge.
>>
File: 1373770392335.jpg (2MB, 2436x992px) Image search: [Google]
1373770392335.jpg
2MB, 2436x992px
>>3085014
If you are not averse to strategy rpgs, I'd recommend you check out Bahamut Lagoon. Great story, some fun characters (a few annoying ones, though). Feeding dragons and watching them evolve is pretty neat. The graphics are superb and the music is pretty good.

It's also very, very easy. I enjoy some harder games (like Langrisser), but Bahamut Lagoon is enjoyable and relaxing.

For standard RPGs, perhaps check out Dragon Quest 3. Great story, good characters, large world with many nooks and crannies to explore. Loads of replay value.
>>
Play Metal Max Returns and the Dragon Quest games. 3 is a good starting point, so's 5. Also I'm seconding Bahamut Lagoon.
>>
>>3085041
Came here to post this.
>>
OP are you playing on emulator or flash cart? I would suggest terrinigma and illusion.
>>
>>3085564
Flash cart.
>>
>>3085571
Star Ocean uncompressed.
>>
they all suck, RPGs are one of the worst and most boring genres of video game.
>>
>>3085596

Failure at life
>>
File: mdarkking-b.gif (4KB, 172x146px) Image search: [Google]
mdarkking-b.gif
4KB, 172x146px
>>3085014
If you want to try something a little different try Brandish. It will probably get shit posted but spend a little time getting used to the 'camera' and see how you like it.

Also second Lufia 2. Has basically anything one wants this era of RPG
>>
>>3085656
says the RPG fan, who needs life simulators to substitute for his lack of one
>>
File: carl_jung-glasses.jpg (106KB, 756x1084px) Image search: [Google]
carl_jung-glasses.jpg
106KB, 756x1084px
>>3085686

>he shitposts on /vr/

/v/ is faster and has more dumb teenagers that will bite the bait harder, why do you do it here?
>>
>>3085686
Just because your dad fucks you in the ass doesn't mean you need to be a little bitch here too.
>>
File: 1456631643764.gif (17KB, 60x104px) Image search: [Google]
1456631643764.gif
17KB, 60x104px
>>3085014
Live a live
Dragon quest games ( V, I+II, III) for VI I recommend the DS version as I believe the fan translation was never completed
Lufia II
Metal max returns (remake of famicom game)

Although you said you don't care for arpgs that much I really have to recommend the gaia "trilogy". That is soul blazer, illusion of gaia, and terranigma.
>>
If you have a PAL Snes then you don't have many options.
>>
FF VI (III)
FF 6 if you didnt play it yet.
>>
>>3086095
Most NA/Japan ROMs run fine on a pal console with a flash cart. Later RPGs tend to have a lockout screen but region protection can easily be removed with ucon64 or snestool.
>>
>>3086171
He said in the original post that he's already played the Final Fantasies.
>>
>>3085014
Live A Live
Lufia 2
Lennus 2
>>
>>3085083
How do you start learning Jap? Are there any decent online courses? Coursera doesn't have anything for example.
>>
>>3089464
Check the threads on /a/ and /int/.
The most basic advice will be to learn the kana which can be done fairly quickly and is already useful by itself.
>>
>>3085014
BOF2
Lufia 2
And I know you said no action RPG but Secret of Mana / SD3 may surprise you if you haven't tried them.

Oh and fucking Front Mission. Fuck yes.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.