[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People love the old Mario games, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg (106KB, 700x979px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg
106KB, 700x979px
People love the old Mario games, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World. Why is it that I literally never hear anyone talk about Super Mario Bros 2? When talking about the Mario games it seems like people tend to forget it even exists.

Why is this? It's not even a bad Mario title as far as the whole franchise is concerned.
>>
>>3083525
Jsmb2/LL is all you're allowed to like. Your "creds" got a -2 debuff
>>
SMB2U is my favorite classic Mario game because of the semi-non-linear level design, great music, and multiple characters.
>>
>>3083525
People hate because it's "not a real mario game".

Personally, I think it's a very solid game but I prefer Super Mario World and Super Mario Land 2 because they got more replay value to me than this game does.
>>
>>3083545
>Mario Land 2
Someone explain to me why this game is good. I never played it as a kid. Finally picked up a copy about 10 years ago and I didn't like it at all. Nothing seemed special about it, and I found the way the backgrounds were drawn to be particularly annoying at times.
>>
>>3083525
SMB = nostalgiafags
SMB: Lost Levels = tryhards
SMB2 = people with taste
SMB3 = normalfags
SMB4: SMW = casual scum
>>
>>3083525
i love smb1 and 3. i had all 3 when i was a kid, and your right. i just... didnt like smb2 that much.
i just found the game kindve wierd.
no kooper kids, jumping is all kindve floaty.
that wierd dinosaur shooting eggs and the eagle mouth.
its hard to really put my finger on it, but...
to put it as simply as possible SMB2 feels, looks and plays very wierd.
they nailed the whole dreamlike atmosphere on the head. especially with the wierd enemies, and potion doors to inverted land, and the more exploration based gameplay.

man. i really need to play it again sometime.
>>
>>3083562
Smbw2:yi: pedos
>>
>>3083562
>Acting elitist about children's toys.

Seriously? Kill yourself.
>>
>>3083545
>People hate because it's "not a real mario game".

read

>It's not the same shit regurgitated
>>
>>3083578
>children toys
>>>/reddit/
>>
I liked 1, and 2 even more.
Didn't really get into 3 or later stuff.
I guess there's also Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong, etc.
>>
>>3083525
It was great. Shame Mario is on meth now.
>>
>>3083594
NX launch title: Mario is missing, and so is my tv™
>>
>>3083585
>Things that were created specifically for children and marketed almost exclusively towards children are not childs toys.

Okay, I love video games, but I'm not so fucking jaded that I don't know their origins and original intentions.

Sorry bud, but video games have always been child's playthings. The addition of a little blood here and there changes NOTHING.
>>
>>3083603
Videogames are for all ages. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>3083605
Only recently has that become true. They were initially for children for most of their existence.
>>
>>3083608
I guess you never been in bars during the late 70's and early 80's...
>>
>>3083608
Robin Williams bought a launch nes and named his daughter Zelda. My dad bought a 2600 before my sister and I were born. Adults have been gaming since they were invented. They were marketed at children because that's where the purchase power was.
>>
>>3083608

The only actual children games are edutainment ones.
>>
>>3083613
Wrongo, pal. I was born in the early 70's, and my family owned a bar. Faggot yourself, desu.
>>
It was the only game I played as a kid. It was the only game I owned. I played the first level hundreds of times, I don't really remember the other levels. Its possible I never got to them, because I was 5. My favorite mario game of all time was yoshi's island. I rented it from blockbuster along with an SNES when I had the chicken pox. I think I was 8 or something. It was the comfiest game I ever played.
>>
>>3083618
You are a lying sack of shit Mr. Millennial, no one believes you.
>>
>>3083608
That's not true. My mother owned Pong in 1978 when she was 19. So did all her friends.
>>
>>3083624
That's fine! I don't even like anime.
>>
File: 320806_2410183573515_1455763_n.jpg (12KB, 297x206px) Image search: [Google]
320806_2410183573515_1455763_n.jpg
12KB, 297x206px
>>3083610
They still had arcade cabs,and pinball in the 90s
This place still has its cocktail table
>>
ITT: "Games are only for Kids"-fag gets blown the fuck out and will crawl back to /v/ with his shit bait.
>>
I miss arcades..
>>
>>3083614
>Robin Williams bought a launch nes and named his daughter Zelda

aaamd he killed himself.

>My dad bought a 2600 before my sister and I were born

Your father is an unstable manchild.
>>
>>3083525
Basically because it's a romhack featuring Mario instead of some sandniggas.
>>
>>3083649
Sounds like you never played Super Sandnigger Land.
>>
>>3083583
But anon, it really wasn't a real Mario game. It was originally released in Japan as "Doki Doki Panic" and had nothing to do with Mario. The Lost Levels were the real SMB2, but Nintendo America decided it was too hard for American players and decided to reskin Doki Doki Panic instead.
>>
>>3083558
I didn't like it as a kid OR an adult. It just didn't feel like a Mario game to me.
>>
File: mario usa.jpg (75KB, 848x564px) Image search: [Google]
mario usa.jpg
75KB, 848x564px
>>3083659
>it really wasn't a real Mario game.

PRO TIP: it was.

Doki Doki Panic and Lost Levels were exclusives to the Famicom Disk System, and the real game outsold both by millions. Mario USA is the real Mario 2, and was designed by the same team as an experiment before it had the Mario name on it. Why do people deny this, when enemies from Mario USA have been present in modern Mario games for over 2 decades?

I know you're trying to show off your amateurish "knowledge" on video games, but that isn't going to work when actual facts are represented.
>>
File: 50e.png (374KB, 414x499px) Image search: [Google]
50e.png
374KB, 414x499px
I finally figured out this Wario character.
I't just Mario with the M upside-down.
That was a really great idea!
>>
>>3083680
You got it backwards, us smb2 was such a hit, it got a jpn release. Notice your pics game is copyrighted after smb3 released.
>>
>>3083674
Yeah, it feels like one of those terrible Mario flash games that always ended up on Newgrounds.
>>
It's not that good.
>>
>>3083718
I liked the first Wario Land more than 2 or 3.
>>
>>3085052
Play Virtual Boy Wario Land, it's the GOAT Wario game.
>>
>>3083525
i love smb2, I beat it like 3 times in my life though... I should play it again
>>
File: notareal.jpg (25KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
notareal.jpg
25KB, 500x282px
You're not a real Mario game!

A mod of Doki Doki Panic? WHAT A JOKE!
>>
File: 1451677193819.jpg (289KB, 1204x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1451677193819.jpg
289KB, 1204x1032px
I liked SMB2. Not enough to warrant multiple playthroughs, but it's a good game.
>>
>>3083545
That approach is pretty stupid. Since then Shy Guys, Pokeys, Bob-Ombs, Birdo, carrying/throwing objects mechanic, keys, and even life meter replenished by mushrooms became a staple of Mario series.
>>
>>3083721
You misunderstood. Yes, Doki Doki came before Mario 2 USA, but Doki Doki was developed on the rush as a commission to promote Fuji Television's event, from a spare game prototype they Nintendo had lying around, about picking up and throwing objects, heavily based on Mario. So Doki Doki Panic HAD its roots in Mario (that's why e.g. POW Blocks from "Mario Bros." exist in Doki Doki - they weren't added when turning it into SMB2, they were in the original game).
>>
>Mario dreams about going through a cave to a different world
>wakes up
>finds cave like in the dream
>start game
>smb2.jpg
>defeats frog king
>wakes up

So wouldn't this mean that in the intro mario was having a dream within a dream?

Pretty trippy mang
>>
DID YOU KNOW THAT DONKEY KONG WENT ON A PICNIC?
>>
Interesting fact about Super Mario Bros 2. It's actually a modified version of a game called Do-re-mi: Milon's Fantasy. When they made the original Super Street Fighter 2, they realised that Australian gamers would probably find the game not challenging enough, so they took the existing probably Satoru Iwata had been working on for Filipino TV and edited the graphics to include Zelda characters. That's why when you play Mega-52-games-in-1, if you're playing the Korean version, it's actually called Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (USA) edition, while other versions have the original game as Legend of Zelda: The Lost Levels.
>>
>didn't grow up with mario when I was young
>try to play a 2D mario game now
>get bored within minutes

Am I just a pleb?
>>
>>3086583
>>3086704
Thanks internet. I'm a video game expert now.
>>
>>3086084
>I know what you were, what you are! People don't change. You're Doki Doki Panic and Doki Doki Panic I can handle just fine but Doki Doki Panic with a Mario skin is like a chimp with a machine gun! Super Mario is sacred!

Oddly fitting
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s13mD7GHtvk6
>>
>>3083608
The first arcade machines, the ones that inspired nolan bushnell to start atari, were found in bars.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.