[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are thoughts on this game? I never see it talked about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: vectorman.jpg (151KB, 1440x1116px) Image search: [Google]
vectorman.jpg
151KB, 1440x1116px
What are thoughts on this game? I never see it talked about
>>
>>3079921
Looks hideous, pallets are inconsistent, bosses are won by spamming rapidfire in their general direction. A complete newbie could level select to the final boss and stomp him.

The sprites are far too large, the actual game screen loses what little real-estate it has to the hud on the bottom.

At the time pre-rendered was a big deal but ultimately the game is dull.
>>
>>3079932
Did Vectorman run over your dog in his pickup when you were a child?
>>
>>3079938
Yes.

In truth I just did not like a single thing about the game, and I love platformers.
>>
>>3079932
most of the things you listed that are a problem with this game are the reasons I like it
>>
>>3079921
The sound track is god-tier and while the pre-rendered graphics are "okay" at best, they hardly show what the system is capable of
>>
I don't think any other soundtrack made use of stereo sound on the Genesis quite as well as this.
>>
>>3080141
>Vectorman doesn't show what the system is capable of

Really?
>>
>>3079932
I'm not saying you're wrong, as I haven't played the game in many years, but based on the nature of your post I'm gonna guess this game has been well liked in the past
>>
>>3080234
either that or just another nintenfaggot
>>
>>3079921
It looks cool and is decently fun, but I was always put off by the time limit. It's got some quite big levels with branching paths, but the time limit makes you have to rush though and not do everything in a single game and I'm not a fan of that.

Vectorman 2 is similar, but I've always liked it a little more for some reason.
>>
>>3079932
This has to be some copypasta meant for some other game - Vectorman didn't even have pre-rendered graphics anywhere, and the "spam rapidfire in their general direction" argument applies to literally every run&gun title (except for Vectorman, ironically, since you could use the double jump booster to do major damage against bosses, as long as you timed it right).
>>
>>3080628
>Vectorman didn't even have pre-rendered graphics anywhere

Not him, but you're wrong on that part. Vectorman used pre-rendered art assets similar to Donkey Kong Country. The difference is how they're animated. DCK method was rendering each and then converting the whole thing to a sprite. Where as Vectorman is made up of a bunch of small sprites that move and animate together to look like it's just one really well animated sprite.
>>
>>3080245
>if someone disagrees with me, then he's a nintendo boogeyman

You're part of the problem
>>
>>3079921
It kicks fucking ass. One of my favorite Run and guns, right up there with Earthworm Jim.
>>
Great game, but you need a controller with a turbo feature for it. Even by 1995 having to individually press the button for each firing was bullshit and inexcusable.
>>
Looks great, awesome animations, but you don't have enough time or space to react to enemy projectiles in the first level so I dropped it about 20 minutes in
>>
>>3079938
>>3080234
>>3080245
>"what are your thoughts on game?"
>anon gives his thoughts on game
>"well who asked you, fuck off"
>>
When you could shoot down the TV and walk on the sega logo it blew my mind as a child
>>
>>3080264
Ditto. 1 was better than 2. But I will say that I agree with some of what >>3079932 had to say. It was amusing but way too easy. Just spray fire rapidly in one direction and vary how quickly you move that direction and you've pretty much won the game. Level design was uninspired.
>>
>>3083118
Vectorman 2 was an outsourced piece of shit that was a downgrade in the visuals and felt incomplete by the end. The first game runs a billion special effects, including mode 7 backgrounds and transparent light beams.

>Just spray fire rapidly in one direction and vary how quickly you move that direction and you've pretty much won the game.

I really don't understand this argument. It could be said of any run & gun game, doesn't it? Except for parts where you have to go in different directions or use different powerups or use different shot types, all of which Vectorman had.

>Level design was uninspired.

I agree that it wasn't the strong points of the game, but it was okay for what it was. It had its fair share of secret locations to explore, and a bunch of alternate routes.

I still remember, on the workbench level (where you fought the trio of bosses who were schematics-came-to-life), immediately before you drop down to the boss, you could instead double jump to the right to find a hidden platform - then to the left, then to the right, and repeat until you reach the upper right corner of the level with a hidden powerup.

Vectorman really was your average run & gun game, it was the incredible graphics that drove the game.
>>
I like the second game better. It was harder, but it allowed you to do play around more with the transformations than in the first one where you were only supposed to use them for whatever purpose.
>>
>>3085225
This is my feeling as well. I never knew it wasn't by the same team, I've always found it more fun.
>>
>>3079921
As a kid who played everything on the genesis with the heavy ass 6 button arcade stick, Vectorman is easily in my top 10 games for this system. Loved the techno music, sound effects and the difficulty was just right. Each level played radically different from each other and the bosses had sensible attacking patterns. You guys should go emulate it right now.
>>
>>3085286
Is it too much to hope for a 3D M2 port?
>>
>>3085292
Probably. I think they're done.
>>
>>3085304
Ohh are they really doing it? That would be fantastic.
>>
>>3085292
It's a waiting game with sega, anin
>>
>>3085310
No, I meant they're done doing 3D ports. I think. That's what I heard.
>>
This was my favorite game growing up. Fuck the haters, vectorman's the shit!
>>
I had it as a kid. I don't remember the quality. I thought it was neat but I was young
>>
Poor kids Donkey Kong Country.

Crap graphics, run of the mill gameplay.
>>
>>3080141
It did, as did that sonic shitfest... that the genesis was far inferior to the SNES.
>>
>>3080141
Nice color palette 0_o
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.