[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS-IO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: psio_large.jpg (194KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
psio_large.jpg
194KB, 640x480px
So I just checked out the website for the first time in months and apparently it's out now. You can buy the PS-IO for $150AUD.

http://ps-io.com/store/psio-cartridge/

It's a bit pricey and requires soldering shit to the board before it'll work, but I still want one. I just don't want to spend that much for one. Has anybody bought one?

Alternatively, if you want to store a collection of PS1 image files and play them "authentically," the next best thing is modding a PS3 with custom firmware and using software that allows you to boot PS1 images from it. It's emulation, but it's Sony's official PS1 emulation, so it's a step up from kids who emulate PS1 games on their computer.
>>
>>3079841
>$150AUD

that's about 115 American money for people who live in counties who matter.
>>
>>3079841
>Sony's official PS1 emulation, so it's a step up from kids who emulate PS1 games on their computer.
Are you implying that in-house emulators are guaranteed to be -better- than independently developed emulators? That is not the case; Mednafen has higher compatibility than Sony's own PS3-emu or the PS2 sofware emulation layer and that's a fact.

Regarding PSIO, I still have mixed feelings. Some say it's super great and others not so much. I don't know who's shilling who but it's probably wise to check out a few YouTube reviews or some shit before purchasing.
>>
>>3079841
Only for selected pre orders.
>>
File: 1354151291668.jpg (37KB, 415x311px) Image search: [Google]
1354151291668.jpg
37KB, 415x311px
>>3079841
>and requires soldering shit to the board
So it's worthless then?
>>
>>3079853
You can't solder? Ask your dad to help if you are not old enough.
>>
>>3079841
Everything about this post screams of it being a shill post.
>>
some spanish fag has a working prototype of a device that connects to the disc reader's ribbon port. I'd much rather wait for that.
>>
>>3079841
>requires soldering shit to the board

I need more info, what needs to be soldered?
a special chip? wires? a regular modchip?
>>
>>3079860
>spanish fag
Yeah good luck with that, we all know how hard working they are.
>>
>soldering
hahaha
>>
>>3079841
Better buying that trash pi or a used pc to play ps1 games. Better option and free is running ps1 games on ps2 by usb stick.
>>
>>3079841
lol just buy a fucking psone you prick

you could buy like 4 playstations for that price
>>
>the year 2034
>PSIO finally acquires 100% compatibility
>despite cycle accurate PSX emulators having been around for years
>still 9001 dollars
>still needs soldering
lmao
>>
Just watched a video on youtube about installing psio. It had cutting traces as well as soldering. That and the price put me off and I think they'll struggle to sell a lot.

I just think mod chip and cdrs are better for most people and emulation for the rest. I know the lasers will eventually die, but my ps1 from 1998 is still working flawlessly and by this point I've played everything worthwhile.

However, if that spanish person makes a truly plug n play replacement for the laser at angood price then i think that that would tempt a lot pf people.
>>
>>3080712
>trace cutting

yeah, no. I don't mind the soldering part but cutting traces?

fuck no.
>>
>>3079857
Point being you might as well just stick with soldering in a regular modchip and burning CDs.
It will have better compatibility and, unless you're planning to burn a ridiculous number of CDs, you'll save money on it.
>>
>>3079841
It's not out. It's still the first "beta" basically for people who preorder a long time ago.

Has a few issues that will hopefully be gone by the real release.

The only people bitching about soldering the thing are kids and people with adult caretakers.
>>
>>3080931
Not bitching about soldering but if you have to open the console and solder, mightbas well modchip. Save the money for beers
>>
>>3080989
It's not meant to be a modchip. It's to replace the laser.

I think the problem is beaners and children trying to get nerd cred are comparing this to cheap modchips to pirate shit. The people buying these kind of mods do not usually care about pirating.

Me and everyone I've talked to that owns a Rhea for example already has a fairly large collection. GDEmu same way. I'm sure some people are buying these things specifically to pirate but they aren't who this is marketed to.
>>
>>3081009
But I could buy at least 5 backup playstations for the same price, so what's the point?
>>
>>3081036
Preservation.

You could probably buy more than 5. PS1s are dirt cheap. Some people care about them though.
>>
>>3081009
A PS1 is fucking cheap, like 10-20 bucks. Buying another one is feasible for most people.

I would strongly consider just getting a second PS1 and applying this mod.

Burning CDs sucks, and this is a fucking great alternative regardless if you have to solder something in.

I will strongly consider buying one in the near future.
>>
>>3079857
My dad can't solder as well.
>>
>>3081045
Seems wiser to wait around for a laser replacement solution like this anon mentioned >>3079860
>>
>>3081064
I'm not buying anything from Brazil.

People make the joke about PSIO being vaporware. That guys thing is as vaporware as it gets. Shitty cellphone video is the only evidence of that thing existing.
>>
>>3081009
Do they go out frequently? all of my PS still work fine, fat 2 needed the laser adjusted last year. I've never seen a dead ps1 in the wild and my cousin chainsmokes inside so much his stinks like tar and is kind of brownish. Destroying a board to fix a problem with a removable component seems silly
>>
>I'm not buying anything from Brazil.
Expensive, requires soldering and also is shilled by racists.
>>
>>3081085
Not wanting to buy something from a 3rd world country makes me racist?

Oh you're one of the neo libs.
>>
>>3081063
get a better dad u cuck
>>
>>3081085

Also

Package may contain spiders
>>
So many grumpy people here...

Yes, it's expensive. But it greatly reduces disc loading times without having problems caused by emulators.

Also, it's not for purchase. You need to have already pre-ordered and have some password. General public still has to wait a few months before more stock comes in.
>>
>>3079841
>I just don't want to spend that much for one.

Then soft-mod a PS2 and use POPstarter to emulate PS1 games. It's probably more compatible than PSIO and not half the hassle.
>>
>>3081146
Buying a chipped PSX/PS2 will be cheaper.
I tried POPstarter and I didn't like it much.
>>
>>3081112
So does putting discs in a ps2 if this isn't about piracy. native component output and you can buy 4 consoles bundled with stuff for the price of a box you have to mangle your ps to even test run.
>>3081163
>I tried POPstarter and I didn't like it much.
Good thing you didn't permanently alter your console to find that out.
>>
>>3079843
Which is comparable to the price of flash carts for most systems.
>>
>>3081009
>Me and everyone I've talked to that owns a Rhea for example already has a fairly large collection.

For every person who gets a Rhea while also having a large collection, you also have a person who gets a Rhea but never even owned a Saturn before.
>>
>>3080760
because ps1's cost £250
>>
>>3082423
I really doubt that.
>>
>>3081053
>burning CDs sucks
Man it's fucking taxing waiting a couple of minutes for a disc to burn and then labeling it. Way worth it to spend 10x what a modchip costs and doing more work on an install.
>>
>>3083161
You spend literal hours trying to get the best Saturn roms.
>>
>>3079841
>Alternatively, if you want to store a collection of PS1 image files and play them "authentically," the next best thing is modding a PS3 with custom firmware and using software that allows you to boot PS1 images from it. It's emulation, but it's Sony's official PS1 emulation, so it's a step up from kids who emulate PS1 games on their computer.
PC emulators are more accurate and more compatible than Sony's PS1 emulator. Just because a corporation made it, doesn't mean it's automatically good.
>>
>>3083117
That's not a yen sign faggot. More like ¥500.
>>
>>3083165
>You spend literal hours trying to get the best Saturn roms.

Or you can stop using crap burning apps like imgburn and all the crappy roms will suddenly start working.
>>
>>3083201
It holds leverage when that corporation has intimate knowledge of how the hardware works. How else does the puny PSP emulate PSX games with what may as well be perfection?
>>
>>3080548
Extremely hard working, actually.
>>
>>3083904
This. My friend's uncle used to bitch about burning coasters all the time, but I never encountered that because I also pirated the best cd burning software available at the time.
>>
>>3083201
I thought ps2 could do his and has a complete ps1 chipset inside? Am I wrong?
>>
>>3083973
>my friends uncle had a shitty only drive
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.