[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video Game Magazines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: Nintendo_Power_Volume_1_-_Scan.png (3MB, 1280x1702px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_Power_Volume_1_-_Scan.png
3MB, 1280x1702px
What was the Sega equivalent to Nintendo Power? Did they have a magazine like it for the master system or the genesis? Also do you guys still read these magazines and use them for games?
>>
File: image.jpg (283KB, 1024x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
283KB, 1024x698px
I read through all of the issues of Sega Visions a couple of months ago. It was insane seeing them cover Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Game Gear, CD, 32X, and Pico in one of the later issues. Pic related is a from one of the first issues. Both are great games.
>>
The sega equivalent of Nintendo Power was Nintendo Power, because sega kids would read it wishing they had the better system than what their parents bought them by mistake.
>>
>>3079473
Sega Visions, if you filled out the little card and sent it in they gave you a subscription for free
>>
File: SegaVisions_All_25_Covers-vgo.jpg (719KB, 1600x644px) Image search: [Google]
SegaVisions_All_25_Covers-vgo.jpg
719KB, 1600x644px
>>
File: Gamefan05cover.jpg (550KB, 1245x1609px) Image search: [Google]
Gamefan05cover.jpg
550KB, 1245x1609px
>>3079473
Nintendo Power and EGM were the only two I subscribed to growing up. I've gotten rid of most of my NPs, save for a couple of favorites.

Best gaming magazine was Gamefan. I don't know why I never subscribed to it. Each issue was an absolute spectacle, and you could tell the people writing about games were enthusiasts. I only had a few issues from back then, whenever I noticed one on a rack, I'd snap it up, but they were not as common as other mags. I've recently taken to collecting them. The articles are streamlined and amusing enough that it's almost always worth reading them. Sometimes, reading hype about a 20+ year old game can make you excited to play it.

The crazy stories from all the staff and writers who worked there are pretty great, too. If you're interested, it's worth a read:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gamefan/GameFAN.htm
>>
File: 20160322_110504.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160322_110504.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
i have all my Nintendo power from when i started subscribing came out to a tad over 90 issues. they're my babies. to be honest i only have non
/vr/ issues.
>>
>>3079712
>>3079648
Would there happen to be scans of this magazine anywhere? Looks pretty cool.

I think the UK Sonic the Hedgehog comics served as a Sega magazine, with game reviews and such.
>>
>>3082802
>Best gaming magazine was Gamefan.

it had the best quality screen shots of any game magazine by far., and that was it's main selling point. the articles and reviews were pretty bad (even by 90's video game magazine standards) and their article layout (font color, size, and color scheme) was an abortion to the eyes. that being said, it was still my 3rd favorite mag, behind EGM and Game Players.
>>
>>3082950
>Would there happen to be scans of this magazine anywhere?

retromags.com has the entire run
>>
File: GameFanVol45Cover.jpg (194KB, 793x1024px) Image search: [Google]
GameFanVol45Cover.jpg
194KB, 793x1024px
>>3082802
>Best gaming magazine was Gamefan.

This. Gamefan was the only magazine I bought on a regular basis. I still have most of my old ones and always have a couple in my bathroom for nostalgic reading while shitting.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yij4zXFqogo
>>
>>3083007
thank you for this!
>>
>>3082950
There's a massive torrent floating around of pretty much every major US mag up through the early 2000s. Someone posted it on here a few months ago, but I can't remember what the actual link was.
>>
I was thinking about collecting these. Is retrogamer any good?
>>
>>3087881
Yeah. It's pretty good.
>>
>>3087891
That's all I needed to hear. Thank you.
>>
Sega Visions kicked ass

If the world wasn't so casual, Sega would be alive and well.
>>
>>3083001
>EGM

Hands down my favorite. I was strictly NP until the Genesis came out and I liked that EGM gave, what I remember as, pretty objective reviews on the differences between multi platform releases complete with screenshots.

I also know I wasn't the only one who wasted $$$ money on a few issues of GamePro before realising it was just a dumbed down rehash of the EGM issue that came out a week before. God, that mag was shit.
>>
>>3082802
Wild fucking stories, man. Sounds like a crazy place to have worked!
>>
Never forget TurboPlay.
>>
>>3088952

http://archives.tg-16.com/turbo_play_0001.htm
>>
Those video game propaganda magazines were wicked.

Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Nor do they make games anymore, really.

See you in hell.
>>
I have boxes and boxes full of the Official UK Playstation Magazine in my attic. I dug a couple copies out for nostalgia's sake a while back and it was pretty funny looking back. The game reviews are totally worthless, blatantly biased as fuck; if it wasn't for the demo discs and the news sections, they would have been a total waste of money.

Will stuff like that be valuable someday /vr/?
>>
Does anyone have any scans of Compile's Disc Station magazines from Japan?
>>
Sega Visions was the official Sega owned mag. Before that, there was a Sega only magazine EGM put out called Megaplay. It wasn't bad, either.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.