[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were they thinking with ActRaiser 2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 2363112-snes_actraiser2_eu.jpg (2MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2363112-snes_actraiser2_eu.jpg
2MB, 2100x1500px
What a terrible sequel to a truly great game. The original ActRaiser was a challenging and fun hybrid of action-platforming and sim sections that were pretty fun. I guess you could say the sim sections were a little shallow, but I think it's better that way so they don't overwhelm the action segments of the game. Plus, you still get to fight monsters as you grow your city, which is pretty cool.

ActRaiser 2 removed the sim aspect of the original game that made it so original and memorable. The difficulty is ratcheted up so high that even on Easy you'll die very quickly on the first couple levels, partly because of traps that do a ton of damage that are hard to avoid thanks to the terrible controls for jumping and flying. The first game was hard, but (save a couple cheap moments) fair, even with some slightly stiff controls in regards to sword swinging and jumping. In ActRaiser 2, it's difficult to figure out how you're supposed to control the Master/God while he's flying. They tried to expand the action parts by giving you a shield and letting you attack from different angles as well as hover, but it's not worth it considering the awful flight controls and the fact that you move much slower than in the original game, which makes it feel like a total slog.

At least the graphics are pretty nice. The music is beautiful and retains the epic and orchestral vibe the original had, although it (ironically) feels a little less actiony now. The numerous gameplay issues are a huge problem, though. How could they fuck up the sequel to ActRaiser so hard?
>>
Also forgot to mention that there's a password system even though the original had saves, which is fucking stupid
>>
Simulation mode in the original was more of a grind than anything, there was no lose condition, you just keep killing imps and lighting old houses on fire and building better houses in their place.
>>
>>3078492

ActRaiser takes two things and does them okay. ActRaiser 2 takes one thing and does it damn well.

The developer's only mistake was trying to cash-in on the popularity of ActRaiser 1 by calling this a sequel. ActRasier 2 was clearly designed with a different audience in mind. It's nonetheless a solid game on its own merits.
>>
I like the 2nd one much better than the first. Once you get used to the wonky controls it's a blast. Great bosses and level design.
>>
>>3078492
The only good part of Actraiser was the sim. The action segments were shit.
Actraiser 2, for whatever reason, cut the only good part out and made the remaining part even worse.
>>
Finished the first one the other day, I thought I was so fucked when doing the boss rush at the end but to my surprise I got through it after a few attempts.

Really fun game
>>
>>3078960
I love this meme.

>>3078550
Actraiser 2 has an excellent combat system. People just don't appreciate it because they removed the Sim element (which I agree, was silly, because it did set Actraiser apart and was fun).

But Actraiser 2 is still a great game.
>>
>>3078492
the movement in 2 was a lot slower and clunkier too
>>
>>3078492
According to an interview with an ex-Enix of America employee, it was his idea to cut out the sim stuff due to his thinking that the American audience didn't like it. Blame the baka gaijin on that one.
>>
I just finished the first AR and didn't really think it was all that great to be honest. The Sim part was pretty shallow and repetitive for my tastes. I thought it was really fun and innovative for the first 2 levels, but they didn't really expand on it as the game went on and it got old pretty quickly.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.