[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES-Hell and the path to satori

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: the_end_of_hell.png (131KB, 584x480px) Image search: [Google]
the_end_of_hell.png
131KB, 584x480px
Do you also consider the NES/Master System as the dark ages of gaming? No the eras before that weren't the dark ages, those were even worse, those were bronze and prehistoric ages.
I skipped them completely because I consider them irrelevant. I started with the NES era. I played about 80% percent of the relevant NES library and I despise them.
It was no fun playing them. It was torture. Okay 5-6 titles were fun. But that was about it. Mostly it was hell. Now I focus on the SNES era the and then after the PS1/N64 era - the one true eras - and I feel so relieved.
I really value gaming now, after living through NES-Hell for months. The only purpose of outliving the NES-Hell was to value gaming and the eras beyond 8bit so, so so much more now.
I value older games now so much more, I can see all the detail in 16bit games and beautiful game mechanics of them and also the quality and level of detail of the first 3d games on n64 and ps1, while before I was very spoiled by HD graphics.
The NES lowered my standards so much that the 4th and 5th gen are I like 4K to me. I feel happy graduating from the NES era into a better future. Thank you NES.
>>
>>3077114

Ever generation is filled with a bunch of trash games that were made solely to earn a quick buck.

No need to post any more, people. Let's move on before this turns into a shit show. Mods, would you kindly delete this thread?
>>
>>3077117
>would you kindly delete this thread
This isn't tumblr. Face your triggers, woman.
>>
File: gfs_40135_2_2.jpg (44KB, 508x442px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_40135_2_2.jpg
44KB, 508x442px
>>3077114
Do you also consider the SNES/Genesis as the dark ages of gaming? No the eras before that weren't the dark ages, those were even worse, those were bronze and prehistoric ages.
I skipped them completely because I consider them irrelevant. I started with the SNES era. I played about 80% percent of the relevant SNES library and I despise them.
It was no fun playing them. It was torture. Okay 5-6 titles were fun. But that was about it. Mostly it was hell. Now I focus on the PS1 era the and then after the PS2/Xbox era - the one true eras - and I feel so relieved.
I really value gaming now, after living through SNES-Hell for months. The only purpose of outliving the SNES-Hell was to value gaming and the eras beyond 16bit so, so so much more now.
I value older games now so much more, I can see all the detail in 32bit games and beautiful game mechanics of them and also the quality and level of detail of the first FPS games on PS2 and Xbox, while before I was very spoiled by HD graphics.
The SNES lowered my standards so much that the 5th and 6th gen are I like 4K to me. I feel happy graduating from the SNES era into a better future. Thank you SNES.
>>
>>3077339
No, the SNES/Genesis and the PS1/N64 era are the golden eras of gaming as stated in OP.
>>
>>3077114
Such is getting old. Chances are young kids think the same way about your favorite snes and ps1 games.
>>
>>3077349
No, the PS1/N64 and the PS2/Xbox era are the golden eras of gaming
>>
File: 1452061580886.png (18KB, 927x885px) Image search: [Google]
1452061580886.png
18KB, 927x885px
>>3077470
>>
1st gen barely qualifies. It's mostly pong and moving a for on a screen.

2nd gen is where the concept of programmable cartridges really took off, but also had a lot of really bad looking games because programmers just used black as a background layer and called it a day.

3rd gen was when we managed to get a decent pallet, audio, really good AI, graphical design practices that understood backgrounds.

4th gen was an upgrade to 3rd, in that there was better hardware so you could get more colors, larger sprites, and better sound.

5th was the home of low polygon games, and 6th upgraded that to high polygons. 7th was where online capabilities became standard, and 8th was a power boost that is still looking for something to define it.
>>
>I don't know my ages
1st gen: Ancient history
2nd gen: Middle ages
Crash/8-bit Computer Era: Dark Age
3rd gen: Medieval
4th gen: Renaissance
5th gen: Early modern
>>
>>3077114
This guy might be autistic
>>
>>3079226
Explain.
>>
>>3079721
He apparently spent months doing something he clearly hates, for instance.
>>
>>3079226
No, OP is just a shit taste millenial.
>>
>>3079759
Isn_t that rather OCD? I think you are confusing compulsion with autism because you think in memes.
>>
>>3077114
fuck you!
>>
>>3079759
Looks like you were bamboozled by OP's mischievous shenanigans
>>
>>3077717
seems about right
>>
>>3079759
>He apparently spent months doing something he clearly hates, for instance.
But autists generally fixate on one thing they really like. You should consider looking up the definitions of words before you use them. It could save you from embarassing yourself again in the future.
>>
File: 00001_B1210A_hero.jpg (66KB, 1024x553px) Image search: [Google]
00001_B1210A_hero.jpg
66KB, 1024x553px
>>3077709
>pallet
That's the wrong word, you fucking idiot. You should consider actually learning to speak English before your open your dumb fucking mouth.
>>
>>3077114
NES is better than newer consoles because it's closer to its arcade roots. Nintendo clearly wanted to casualize games even then (see SMB3), but they didn't yet have the knowledge to do so effectively, so they made good games by accident. And many third party devs didn't even try to casualize games.

NES > Genesis > NeoGeo > TG-16 > PS1 > SNES > Gameboy > Saturn > SMS > Game Gear > N64 > 2nd gen consoles > 8 bit home computers > 1st gen consoles
>>
>>3077114
Today is the dark ages. Pre-NES was shit, NES was the renaissance, and shit has gone downhill from there.
>>
>>3081206
Hey anon, what does "casualize" mean? :)

Here's a hint, it doesn't mean "I don't like it!" :)
>>
>>3081232
It means making design choices to appeal to people unwilling or unable to develop skill. Anything that would make an arcade operator reject a game for causing excessive average play time counts.
>>
>>3081230
no.

>>3081206
ew.
>>
>>3077114
You're awfully concerned with "relevance"...

They're videogames. TOYS. Things created to be entertaining, and not something to build your life around, or worse, to attempt to build a "culture" around.

"gamer culture" in the past was teens who played too many games chatting about games (and other things) on the bus or in heir living rooms. Now it's a plastic and fake label, coveted by morons, shoved down everyone's throats by companies trying to shill their product to said morons.
The fact that you put SO much thought into all this, and apparently think your opinion means shit in all of it, speaks volumes about your lack of intellect.

To answer your question: The NES era was a great time in games, because they were marketed as what they are, they had real imagination put into them, and the "culture" was still controlled by the kids playing the games.
Everything since has just been steps closer and closer to the ridiculous and sad joke the industry bow is.

/thread.
>>
16 bit era sucked Ass. It brought nothing new to the table and Did nothing groundbreaking that wasn't already established by nes. In fact it had worse sidescrollers.
>>
>>3081353
>The NES era was a great time in games
False.
>>
File: palet.jpg (6KB, 220x101px) Image search: [Google]
palet.jpg
6KB, 220x101px
>>3081183
Calm down brother, this isn't /lit/
>>
The NES library is mostly filled with trash, but the same is true for the 16 bit systems. Playing shit games for a while certainly helps for perspective.

I never had any consoles before the SNES so I can relate to OP's troubles getting into its games. The technical limitations and lack of experience for the developers certainly led to a lot of weird implementations, some which might be real hard to appreciate for those who didn't suffer through the heydays.

There are still quite a few timeless classics that are fun to play to this day regardless of player experience, and seeing how long-running series started out is of course interesting. Play what you find fun, disregard the rest, and move on.
>>
>>3081353
Why can't games aim for storytelling or maturity or subtlety or whatever? Like literally what is so offensive about that? The NES and SNES have lots of experimental hidden gems like Ihatov Monogatari and Tao which were bursting with creativity and used their limitations in clever ways

I agree "gamer culture" is stupid, but worshipping the age when "children controlled the market" is equally stupid
>>
>>3081678

NES is best experienced in two player games. That's one of the reasons Contra, battletoads, turtles in time, chip and Dale, battle city, Mario bros and many others are remembered fondly, but dumbfucks can't appreciate today, because they had no friends and snes had almost no multiplayer games.

Seriously Snes and whatever Sega shat out at the time are friendless looser consoles, just like ps1.
>>
16 bit era was the best era.

I hated n64, the era of nothing but goldeneye and super smash bros over and over. SNES was the ideal system and still my favorite today. Look at n64 and non-2D ps1 games today, they look like vomit. I regret that 3D ever became a thing. Imagine if they focused on improving 2D instead, it would be like some kind of heaven.
>>
>>3081698

2D died with SNES because the format was running out of gameplay ideas already during NES. There's a reason why New Super Mario bros is one of the only sidescroller still around.
>>
>>3081697
This is because they were primarily developed for the Japanese market, and shut in losers were their main audience. Anyone with friends in Japan was at the arcade instead.
>>
>>3081698
>Imagine if they focused on improving 2D instead, it would be like some kind of heaven.
It would be Rayman Legends and Dragon's Crown. So yes, heaven indeed...
>>
>>3081720

Arcades were a thing in the west
>>
>>3081749
your point is?
>>
>>3081749
Shut in losers being common in Japan is even true today.
>>
>>3081698
>I hated n64, the era of nothing but goldeneye and super smash bros over and over.
Did you only owned those two games on the N64 along with some shitty PS1 ports in order to come to the conclusion that "3D is shit"?

>Imagine if they focused on improving 2D instead
It would probably be just as stagnant as it is now, just for different genres.
>>
>>3077114
>Do you also consider the NES/Master System as the dark ages of gaming?
No, because gaming naming conventions are already autistic as they are and "dark ages of something" sounds like some shit some comic book moron made up.
>>
>>3077114
3rd gen was pretty great, a lot of garbage but what gen doesn't have this? I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion here but I think it's the farthest you could go back and say games were truly great, not to say nothing of value came from gen 1 or 2 but not much worth playing today.
>>
>>3077123
Tumblr doesn't work like that though. Its like, personal blogs you follow in your own curated feed.
>>
>>3077717
This is stupid, games aren't comparable to the history of the mediterranean.
>>
>>3081247
Videogames are just casualized entertainment for people too stupid to read or watch complicated film.
>>
>>3081708
>Running out of gameplay ideas

No stupid, 3d games were just seen as more graphically impressive and sold more. Konami actually had to work around a "no 2-D games" rule on the PS1 to make Symphony of the Night happen
>>
>>3081183
Yeah. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>3077114

Post reads like it was written by a 12 year old with zero historical understanding.

In 20, 30, 40+ years people will say the same thing.

>Do you consider the PS4 as the dark ages of gaming?

Technology moves forwards. Games get more complex. Fully VR games are going to blow out a lot of other games completely. People will see using a gamepad as an antequated relic.
>>
>>3082280
>>Do you consider the PS4 as the dark ages of gaming?
Op speaking. Yes. SNES/GENOCIDE era and PS1/N64 era are the golden ages of gaming.
I also consider VR to be the renaissance of gaming and movie experience.
>>
>>3082112
That's true of arcade games at least.
>>
>>3082112
>watch complicated film
I've watched many hundreds of films and the only one that was in any way complicated was Primer. Film is mostly crap, and it still runs at 24fps as standard which is unacceptable. Arcade games are much better on average.
>>
>>3082124

OK smart guy explain to me why all 2D games we're getting now are metroidvania or capcom ripoff?

2D is spent, just like 3D has been spent since the the n64 and pc in the 90s. The novelty has worn off for both
>>
>>3082789
4D when?
>>
File: 4d-sports-boxing-ss1.gif (17KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
4d-sports-boxing-ss1.gif
17KB, 320x200px
>>3082807
dude
>>
Game consoles made things too easy for retards like OP. They're instruments of pure consumerism and degeneracy.
There was a golden age, before Pong...
>>
File: coincidence.jpg (706KB, 1612x500px) Image search: [Google]
coincidence.jpg
706KB, 1612x500px
>>3077717
>>
>>3077114
Fucker the Bronze age historically was much more outgoing as far as advancement than the repressive ass dark ages

Fuck your stupid thread
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.