[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: EarthBound_Box.jpg (112KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound_Box.jpg
112KB, 400x293px
>>
>>3062418
Just played it OP? What do you think?
>>
File: 1457764071984.jpg (222KB, 1200x618px) Image search: [Google]
1457764071984.jpg
222KB, 1200x618px
>>3062418
Very good game depending on the person, receieves too much hate here and brings out the worst of /vr/. If you like dragon quest and/or non serious and goofy you probably will like it. It's my favorite game of all time but we get to many threads on it, most of which are bait and shitposting.
>>
File: image.png (235KB, 425x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
235KB, 425x304px
General question: What is your favorite MOTHER game and why?
>>
Something something step-children and reddit
>>
Nice game, shit meme.
>>
>>3062458
earthbound

because I'm a piece of shit who hasn't found the time to play the other two

goddamn I need to find time to play the other two
>>
File: Untitled.png (339KB, 796x956px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
339KB, 796x956px
>>
File: 1446754272348.jpg (38KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1446754272348.jpg
38KB, 576x432px
>>
Tfw you fell for the earthbound is a good game meme
>>
>>3062765
Oh my, wow, is that the Ness hat?
He really shouldn't.
He's gonna regret that pic by the time he turns 16.
>>
>>3065760
what don't you like about it
>>
>>3067673
Not him, but it's a pretty stupid setting for an RPG. Wow, you get to play as a bunch of kids? I've never been a kid before! Who wants to be a badass knight or a wizard with the power of the gods when I can be some delinquent with a bat!
>>
>>3062731
honestly either luck out at a thrift store/ yard sale or buy an Earthbound Uncut cartridge for like $40

Uncut is normal, English Earthbound, but with all the stuff censored in the western release put back in (cola trucks, red cross on hospital, ness naked in magicant, the HH on happy cult men, etc.)
>>
>>3067682
really? you can play as a knight or wizard in every other RPG, I don't remember many games where you play as a 90s kid with PSI powers
>>
>>3067682

Different strokes for different folks. Just because it's not your thing is no reason to call it a bad game or insult others who enjoy it.
>>
>>3069417
This.

It's extremely unique. The whole 80-90s feel is great, especially with the added paranoia of aliens and hippies. It's like 10 Cloverfield Lane but an old video game.
>>
This garbage /v/-tier shit thread is still here. Three days later. The more time passes, the less clear the boundary between /v/ and /vr/ becomes.
>>
>>3062458
Earthbound

Mother 1 feels better in some ways, probably because it's a less global adventure, more about crossing the US, but ultimately the technological advances and gameplay changes of Earthbound take it ahead.

Haven't finished Mother 3 yet, and while I like it, I sort of preferred the "It's an RPG... but in the present!" feel to Mother/Earthbound.
>>
>>3065760
Please tell me you at least made it to Twoson.

Most of Onett is pretty mediocre, but the game really picks up in Twoson.
>>
>>3069450
I didn't call it a bad game or insult others who enjoy it. I answered the question: "What don't you like about it?" Don't be a prick.

>>3069417
I don't recall being a knight or a wizard in actual life. It's a fairly shitty setting if my role is "human child."

>>3069459
Actually the boundary is becoming a gulf. /vr/ has completely subsumed the argumentative /v/ culture of shitposting and cheap sniping (see above) whereas /v/ now discusses and enjoys video games for their actual merits instead of relentlessly hiveminding everything.
>>
I think the best way to describe what's so good about Earthbound is to look at the other JRPGs around at the time in comparison. Think of how many NPCs you've talked to in other games who had absolutely nothing of worth to say. Think about how interchangable they all are. Think about how many times you've killed goblins and skeletons and dragons. Think about all the swords and shields and robes and staves you bought. Think about all the castles you've been in, all the mines you've cleared out, all the underground caves and forests you've passed through to get to the next town that looks exactly like the last one.

I honestly think that, if you can't appreciate this, you just haven't played enough retro JRPGs.
>>
>>3062731
Oh the boxed copies went down. Weird.
>>
>>3068198
>Uncut is normal, English Earthbound, but with all the stuff censored in the western release put back in (cola trucks, red cross on hospital, ness naked in magicant, the HH on happy cult men, etc.)

But isn't there a sign that still says "Threed" in it? That's enough to trigger autism preventing the purchase.
>>
>>3062458
Your mother. Because I fucked that sloppy ass so hard she looked like a Mr. Saturn when I was through.
>>
>>3067682
it's ironic that you don't want to play as a kid, because this is the most childish, asinine criticism I've ever heard
>>
>>3070034
Thanks for your sterling counter-argument.
>>
>>3069981
Yeah people just sort of quit buying them for a couple months. It looks like $800 was a hard ceiling. I wonder how low they'll sink now?
>>
>>3062418
Great game. Filled with lots of interesting meta-moments. Gets an undue amount of hate because of the supposedly "hipster" fanbase, even though the average Earthbound fan is >>3062765
>>
>>3069620
human child with PSI powers, do you have those in real life, you miserable troll from /v/?
>>
>>3070041
how would I begin to form a counter-argument to that?
>it's a stupid setting because I can't play as a knight or wizard
I mean you realize that's a subjective thing that you want, right? If I bought a red card would you say "that's a stupid color, why wouldn't you get a blue car?"
Plus the fact that something is a "shitty setting" because you play as a human child is incredibly close-minded. Think of all the great books, movies, etc. that take place in modern day and that feature children. Are they all shitty?
I know you're trolling and I'll drop it here, but I just want you to know that a stranger somewhere in the world thinks you're a very, very low-functioning person
>>
>>3062458
Earthbound. I got a lot more involved with the story than with 3's story. The whole atmosphere, the characters, the settings. Woah, that game is overwelming and the ending where you walk with Paula made me cry a lot
>>
>>3070041

He's right though. It is absolutely childish. Especially when you're pretending that it's somehow unique and original to play as a badass warrior or a powerful wizard. That's every RPG ever. And you're saying it has the stupidest setting ever, when it's actually very original, especially for the time it was released. Your comment was childlike in the way that children always want to appear more mature than they are, and usually fail terribly because they're inexperienced and have little idea what the fuck they're talking about. That's you.
>>
>>3062458

Mother 3. But just barely. I liked the rhythm based battle system and stacking up combos with it. The playable characters had more personality. The story was more heartfelt. The music was more catchy. The graphics were better, and the design prettier. My only issue was that it was very linear, even compared to Earthbound and it just didn't feel quite as weird.

But still, if I were to reccomend anyone to play a game in the Mother series, it would be Mother 3. And then Earthbound if they liked it.
>>
>>3070123
>>3070142
>>3070151

>you're wrong for not wanting to play as a human child

Blah blah blah, you guys are spinning your wheels over subjective terms. One of you even realized that and spun his wheels anyway. I answered the question, I never said anything aside from the fact that I didn't want to play as a human child because I don't consider that to be a role - at least not one that's anywhere near as interesting as other roles.

>but you can be a wizard or knight in many other RPGs

Yes, and I enjoy that. The human child role pales before them, it is precisely why I don't like Earthbound's setting, I can't believe it's taking this many posts to get that across.

A bunch of you are putting words in my mouth, so let me ask you something; can you name a game you don't like and may I ask why so that I can get in a huff and tell you your preferences are wrong?
>>
>>3062765
So much cringe.
Can relate though... this reminds me of when I wore the Ash Ketchum hat every day from like the age of 10-14.
>>
>>3070183
not any of those guys you were arguing with but I don't like Final Fantasy or Castlevania
>>
>>3070183

>I never said anything aside from the fact that I didn't want to play as a human child because I don't consider that to be a role - at least not one that's anywhere near as interesting as other roles.

He's not just a kid, he has psychic powers. Is a generic knight more interesting than someone with psychic powers?
>>
>>3072769
Potentially.

A kid with psychic powers can be interesting, but the majority of Earthbound isn't about a kid with psychic powers, it's about a kid who rarely uses them.
>>
>>3072772
it's kind of idiotic to assume that just because you have psychic powers you'd want to abuse them instead of hanging out and eating ice cream and burgers with your friends, which is already pretty fun

like do you know anything about psychic powers? do you even have any? no you don't even think they exist, you don't have any idea how fun they aren't
>>
>>3072772

>it's about a kid who rarely uses them.

What? You can use them in battle any time you want.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.