[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Sierra's adventure games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: Sierra_Entertainment.svg.png (36KB, 1280x341px) Image search: [Google]
Sierra_Entertainment.svg.png
36KB, 1280x341px
What is your opinion on Sierra's adventure games?
>>
trial and error trash

but hey at least they're self-aware
>>
I loved them when I was younger. Pretty fun. Some of the puzzles are insane bullshit, though. I mean a retrograde alphabet? Who the fuck thinks of that shit?
>>
>>3059764
On strictly adventure games? They're the godfather of them, in my opinion. Sure, a LOT of their older titles are pretty unplayable and no one likes dealing with text parsers and pixel hunts anymore, but I have a lot of fond memories of getting up early on Saturday mornings to play SQ1 and KQ1, compare notes with my brothers and sisters until one of us figured out the puzzles and we finished the games together.

I think some of them are sort of hit and miss though. I wasn't a fan of SQIV or V, but I liked KQ, the Conquests series and Quest for Glory. I missed out on things like Police Quest, LSL and Manhunter until much later, so I don't have very much nostalgia in regards to them.

I liked Torrin's Passage, Gabriel Knight and the first Phantasmagoria games though. Sierra itself used to be one of my favorite software studios until Activision happened. Even Vivendi wasn't as bad.
>>
>>3059937
how the fuck do you not like roger wilco and the time rippers ya faget
>>
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness was an amazing game and puts the rest of the series to shame.

Full voice acting, a witty narrator who regularly harasses the main character while breaking the 4th wall, great graphics for the day, multiple solutions to nearly every puzzle, decent combat system, interesting deaths.
>>
Torrin's passage, now there's a memory.

Imp the Lucas arts adventure games were superior but kings quest 7 was a very well constructed game. Great environments
>>
>>3059764
Sierra>Lucasarts
>>
King's Quest 6 was the tits.
>>
>>3059764
Quest for Glory 1-4 were the best.
>>
The Quest for Glory series and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers were pretty bad ass. But most of the rest are too damn unforgiving and tedious for me to get through. That is unless I consult a walkthrough, something which I refuse to do out of principle. If I have to figure all that shit out myself and replay the game several times to avoid dead end no-win situations, I don't have time for that sort of shit anymore.
>>
Sierra is one of the many 80s gaming giants like Microprose, SSI, and Origin that couldn't survive the transition to the 90s.
>>
>>3065475
Origin only went belly up because of EA and SSI went strong up until the turn of the century. Just shut the fuck up if you dont know what you are talking about.
>>
>>3065559
>Just shut the fuck up if you dont know what you are talking about.

Are you upset about something? It's hard to tell from text on a computer screen what tone the author intended it to be read in.
>>
>>3065563
I'm just sick of seeing the exact same post pasted over when its not even true. SSI survived the 90s just fine. The only one that is true for maybe is microprose.
>>
>>3065563
No, I totally meant that post to be friendly and hugs-and-puppies.

Fuck you and fuck your mother, nigger lips.
>>
>>3065568
If they survived the ninetys just fine they would've made it past 1998. And that one PDA game in 2003 doesn't count.
>>
>>3065574
You must be 18 to use this website.
>>
>>3065579
Or Microprose. They got bought out by Spectrum Holobyte in 1993 and gradually faded into irrelevance.
>>
>>3065475
Epyx was another victim of the 90s.
>>
>>3065579
the released their third panzer general game in 2000 you dope
>>
>>3065475
Broderbund were still doing well for a good part of the 90s but they too expired before the turn of the millenium.
>>
>>3065586
Epyx actually didn't even survive the 80s. They were sued by Data East in 87 and never recovered from that, straggling to their death in 1989.
>>
>>3065475
No different really from all the rock groups like Motley Crue and Iron Maiden that died with the 80s.
>>
SSI started to lose it when the CD-ROM era started. The Ravenloft CRPG games were not anywhere near the level of their gold box classics. This culminated in SSI losing the D&D license in 1995.
>>
It wasn't just gaming, a lot of applications software giants like Lotus and Borland also went kaput in the 90s.
>>
>>3065619
Ravenloft was developed by Dreamforge, SSI only published it.

The way I remember it, SSI poured too much time and money into the engine for the Dark Sun games, only to have it turn out like shit. It's too bad, because the Dark Sun games are almost like a prototype of the Infinity Engine that Bioware used for Baldur's Gate etc.
>>
I'm not sure what Sierra did wrong. All I know is that KQ7 looked too Disney-fied and then Ken Williams sold off the company and retired young (he was only 44).
>>
>>3065603
Only to be replaced with mopey, whiney bullshit you couldn't headbang to. Don't remind me.
>>
>>3065671
HEY JEWEMY, HOW WAS KWASS TODAY?
>>
>>3065671
yah how fucking gay is 90s maiden, shitty fucking lighter waving stadium rock. First two albums were trashy metal and I wouldnt want it any other way fuck dickinson.
>>
>>3065669
Traditional point and click adventures went out of style as did traditional CRPGs. They didn't die with the 90s per-se, but they died when the Windows 9x era began which is the time when RTS and other new flavors of PC game arrived.
>>
>>3065671
I'M THE MAN IN THE BOX
BURIED IN MY SHIT
>>
File: Family-photo.jpg (92KB, 800x748px) Image search: [Google]
Family-photo.jpg
92KB, 800x748px
>>3065669
I am so fucking jealous of Ken and Roberta Williams. They got in early, made their mark in video game history, cashed in before it was too late, and sailed off into the sunset.

No, really. They literally sailed off into the sunset.
>>
>>3065689
>shitty fucking lighter waving stadium rock

Same thing happened to Judas Priest from British Steel onward and AC/DC once Bon kicked it.
>>
>>3065669
Same with Curse of Monkey Island. LucasArts after the Windows 9x era began gradually phased out adventure games (The Dig was basically the end). They still went on through the 2000s making shitty Star Wars games, then the Disney buyout put them to rest.
>>
>>3065705
nah painkiller was alright. Nothing will ever top defenders of the faith but painkiller was still okay cause it was so cheesy.
>>
>>3065671
"Rock music is dead. Rappers are the new rock stars. They're edgy, they flash around stacks of $100 bills, they have attitude, they ride around in a limousine with girls hanging off their arms. I mean, we all love that, right? They make you want to be them. The point is that rock stars aren't supposed to be ordinary people. And then at some point, they became ordinary people. And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked, and people stopped listening to it."

-- Gene Simmons
>>
>>3065718
Painkiller really just showed how shitty their songwriting had gotten compared with the 70s. Beyond The Realms of Death compared with Metal Meltdown? Come on.
>>
>>3065720
Except by the point where a band does this, they've already turned into lighter-waving stadium rock.
>>
>>3065726
oh yeah its cheese i didnt expect good song writing lol it just had good instruments its just mindless head banging shit.
>>
>>3065726
AC/DC also had much worse songwriting after Bon died. BIB onward feel like a parody of the more commercial Bon-era songs.
>>
>>3065726
You can tell from listening to that album that Rob was starting to lose his upper range by 1989-90 because he can't hit those high notes as well as he did in the Stained Class days. He sounds strained and hoarse when he does it on Painkiller.
>>
>>3065762
Yeah his vocals are quite awful to listen to on Painkiller. Glenn and KK's guitars are fantastic though.
>>
>>3062803
Ah-hah. Hahaha.. AHAHAHAHA my fucking sides this must be a joke.
>>
>>3059792

get flask
>Get what?
get ye flask
>You can't get ye flask.
pick up ye flask
>You can't pick up the ye flask.
acquire ye flask
>As you reach out you accidentally knock it over on the shelf, spilling deadly acid all over yourself! Too bad you didn't powder yourself with that baking soda in act one!
>[silly death animation of the hero running around with arms flailing]
>Ouch. [awful pun goes here]. Better luck next time! :3 Restore/Restart/Quit?
>>
>>3065583
SH then got bought out in 98. Another casualty of the Clinton years.
>>
"In the beginning, there were just text adventures. You got a description of the scene and had to type a command like 'get key', 'go north', 'take jar', etc because that's all that was possible with the computer technology of that time. Then came the graphical adventure. I remember visiting my cousin over the holidays (of 1985) and playing King's Quest on his computer. You now had graphics, sound, and a character you could move around, but you still had to type commands at a prompt, and I felt that this was only taking it halfway. So I wondered if you couldn't instead simplify things by giving the player a set of commands at the bottom of the screen to select. Part of this was because I'm a lazy guy and I hate to type."

-- Ron Gilbert
>>
>>3059764
really enjoyed hero's quests 1&2 when I was little

<3 sierra

also space quest 1+2
>>
>>3066174
i still remember that minotaur battle in hero's quest 1...

maybe there is a trick to it but back then I just brute forced it, had to fight perfectly for a long time
>>
Maple syrup cat hair mustache.

MAPLE SYRUP CAT HAIR MUSTACHE!

TO DISGUISE YOURSELF AS A CHARACTER WHO DOESN'T HAVE A MUSTACHE!
>>
>>3066176

That's normal. He's essentially the Fighter's final boss as far as actual combat goes.

The Thief and Magic User are supposed to sneak or use magic to get past him without a fight.
>>
File: gfs_29892_2_26.jpg (86KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_29892_2_26.jpg
86KB, 960x600px
>>3062493
Shadows of Darkness is my pick for best adventure game of all time. And John Rhys-Davies is unparalleled as the narrator.
>>
Leisure Suit Larry and Quest for Glory are great. The rest are hit and miss. Space Quest is overrated. Police Quest 2 is the only good Police Quest. King's Quest is trash altogether.

The people responsible for Willy Beamish should be executed.
>>
>>3068863
Gabriel Knight is also great. Third one has some iffy puzzles but they all have iffy puzzles, not just Sierra adventures.
>>
>>3066180
Adding facial hair to hide part of your face makes sense considering Gabriel doesn't look anything like Mosely. Only complaint is that he should have gone with a beard. It'd be more effective.
>>
I liked QfG a lot. King's Quest I enjoy for nostalgia reasons, but I doubt anyone else would like it. Leisure Suit Larry is both terrible and fantastic in some ways. For the most part the puzzles are pretty sane sans the second game which requires so much foresight along with trial and error, it's just annoying to play. I really enjoyed 3 and 6, though, with 7 being alright, too. Really wanted to play the fourth, but I just couldn't find the disks.
>>
>>3068874
>Really wanted to play the fourth, but I just couldn't find the disks.

That...is a really, really, unfunny joke, you know that?
>>
>>3059764
I beat the shit out of KQ5.

They were fun a couple decades ago. Now they're simply frustratingly slow, dense pixel hunts with poor writing.
>>
>>3065720
All the "cool" people stopped listening because corporate had a new formula.
>>
>>3066031
you must be a casual, lucasarts games are babby tier you cant lose. Lucasarts havent made a single game thats as good as quest for glory
>>
I can't imagine anyone in this day and age wanting to put themselves through stuff like the whale tongue in KQ4.
>>
Oh lovely, I can swim across this river and...

>animation of your character violently thrashing

"The strong current of the river is too much for you to handle. You are sucked under and drown. Too bad. You have died. Press Enter to restart, Escape to exit to DOS, or F4 to load a save game."
>>
>>3070449
Later sierra games also went the lucasarts route, i.e. freddy pharkas.
>>
"Citing a Space Quest game where the player could get killed by picking up a piece of sharp metal with no prior warning, Ron Gilbert referred to such game design as 'sadistic'."
>>
>>3070475
That's the whole point! It's hilarious when typing "pick nose" results in your character stabbing himself in the brain with his lockpick and dying (or, if his skill is high enough, opening his nose with a click).
>>
>>3068863
larry 6 and 7 are great. The rest are garbage.

I could never get into QFG even back in the days. The combat was too clunky for me.
>>
File: hello.png (101KB, 640x482px)
hello.png
101KB, 640x482px
Space Quest? This game looks pretty funny! Ha ha, this intro's pretty neat! Okay, time travel... oh, the future looks pretty bleak. This music is kinda unnerving... this isn't very funny. Who's this guy? Oh God. No! Nonononono!!
>>
File: King quest was fun.png (18KB, 1074x360px) Image search: [Google]
King quest was fun.png
18KB, 1074x360px
Sierra games were fun. Not the greatest, but fairly decent games.

https://tcrf.net/King's_Quest_II:_Romancing_the_Throne
>>
KQ1 is a little too primitive to be enjoyable today.

KQ2 is mostly just a bigger KQ1.

KQ3 is where the series starts getting more advanced, but the difficulty level is also frustrating compared to the first two games.

KQ4 is more like the first two games design-wise and lacks some of the experimental stuff found in KQ3, but still same frustrating difficulty level.

KQ5 and 6 are the pinnacle of the series design-wise; the move into the VGA/sound card era makes them worlds removed from the EGA bleeper shit of the first four games.

KQ7 is Disney-fied garbage. Don't bother.
>>
>>3070492
Al Lowe would have some funny things to say about this.
>>
>>3070497
I'm glad he did that kickstarter but did we really need 3 lsl 1's?

Lsl narrator in 6 and the boat one was the perfect guy
>look at peggys chest
>easter egg of the voice acting losing his shit.
>>
>>3059764
Really good but inferior to LA and Westwood.
>>
Anyone else dig the Laura Bow duology?
>>
brump
>>
>>3059764
Half-Life was a bit too much action but I liked the pointy and clicky parts of it.
>>
>>3071343
oh yeah, I Loved the Bequest but didn't get into the Dagger one. Def a top-tier game. If I remember correctly it had multiple endings too?

the nostalgia of all this thread, playing games all weekend at my dad's house, most of the sierra dos adventures

and sometimes on a special weekend I got to go downstairs and watch daddy play Rama, Zork, Guest, and other classics
>>
>>3065698
Ken posts here from his boat, he's a ham radio operator too.

He pretends he is his son for some reason.
>>
>>3075163
There was a guy here who said he was over the age of 50. That was probably just Ken forgetting his alter ego.
>>
>>3075163
>>3075267
Naw...if Ken were actually posting here, we'd see random posts about obscure behind the scenes LOLsorandumb like "Hey guys, betcha didn't know that on June 18, 1984, Al Lowe brought this pizza into the office that...never mind. Don't ask how I know this." :)
>>
At least they're easier to play now since you have DOSBox and can use the best audiovisual settings the game supports and don't have a CONFIG.SYS or horribly slow floppy disks.
>>
>>3075312
also Scummvm, which has support for a lot of Sierra adventures.
>>
>>3075312
I have actually seen KQ3 running on an IBM XT with CGA and dual floppies and you don't want to do that, you really don't.

>eye-searing blue, orange, and green colors
>having to swap disks all the time
>having to access the disk every time you switch screens

Thank merciful god for DOSBox.
>>
QFG was the best adventure game series ever made. Shame they only made 4 of them.
>>
>>3076434
Five.

If you count the remake of QFG1.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.