[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the controls so bad in this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

I've played a lot of the metroidvania games, wanted to try a classicvania. But the controls are just so shitty and unsatisfying.

>go up stairs by pressing up

>difficult to even get on stairs

>can't change direction while attacking in the air

>attacking on the ground stops all motion

I tried using a gcc as well as keyboard and mouse but they're both shit. How did people put up with this?
>>
We were gayer back in the day.
>>
>>3058736
I can only imagine how you'd feel about the other Classicvanias.
>>
>>3058736
Yeah Belmont's a clunky motherfucker, but the game is to learn how to control the character to overcome the challenges presented. They built the game around his clunky ass.

>>3058819
I'd imagine you'd be right.
>>
>>3058736
Because you started with the dumbed down for plebs vanias you are always going to find the challenge of the classics frustrating as they are very much something you have to adapt to and learn.
>>
>>3058736
The same reason they're bad in something like Dark Souls, you're supposed to be very specific with your movements/hitboxes, it's a more tactical approach.
>>
>>3058736
By not being pussy, Millennial faggots.
>>
>>3058736
I replayed it a few years ago and thought it was fine, the air thing is just a mechanic you have to get used to, not really that bad as long as you're cautious and don't constantly jump near enemies.

As for the stair thing, it was like that in the earlier games which people played fine so it doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Also you should know that 4 is the easiest classic castlevania, so if you can't beat that I wouldn't recommend anything older.

And you may like dracula x if you have a psp, not retro, but the main game is more modern and easier, and it comes with SotN and Rondo of Blood.
>>
>>3059254
You can do some badass looking attacks when you jump and whip down. And it's funny being able to walk backwards on stairs. I like the clunkiness.
>>
>>3058736
>I tried using a gcc as well as keyboard and mouse but they're both shit.
>keyboard and mouse
The fuck would you do with a mouse? This isn't Portrait of Ruin.
>>
>>3058736
Controls are fine, game's only real problem is that the vampire killer is way to reliable and makes sub weapons pointless and the game pretty easy compared to say 1 or 3. Still a very good game ansmd definitely worth playing.
>>
>>3059458

Am I the only one who thought sub-weapons were actually useful?
I wouldn't have been able to complete the game without the axe or the cross, they came in very handy especially in some of the later levels like stage 8 or 10 (clock tower).

I tried to make no sub weapon runs, but I ended up getting a game over before reaching drac.
>>
>its a castlevania thread
>>
>>3058736

Back then they put up with it easily, and with pleasure, same as they do now (usually). Because it's a fun game. Keep trying until you get it, or give up and play something you like better. Not every game engine works for every person.
>>
>>3058736
Get off this board right now. Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>3058736
You've pretty much identified the main things I hate about the Castlevania games. A friend of mine convinced me to download Dracula X Chronicles since you can unlock what is supposed to be the definitive version of Symphony of the Night, but I've given up on this because I just can't git gud enough to deal with Classicvania controls. Even playing with Maria, which is basically easy mode, is more difficult than I'd like. It's not a bad game, I just hate how stiff the controls feel.

Speaking of which, is it worth just downloading a complete save file so I can play SotN?
>>
>>3060512
And yes, I'm a fucking millennial. I'm also weird because I don't think Zelda II is as hard as people make it out to be. It's challenging, but aside from some cryptic puzzles it's actually quite fair. And the platforming physics feel 1000x better than any Castlevania I've played.
>>
>>3060512
I bought Dracula X Chronicles largely for SotN, and then ended up ignoring SotN in favor of the Rondo remake. It was a lot more fun than I expected.

>>3060537
I think Zelda 2 is noted as being difficult by Zelda standards; I don't recall seeing it touted as some legendarily hard game.

It sounds like you're having issues with how Castlevania makes you commit to your actions. The series is focused on precision and planning. You can't change directions in mid-air and your basic attack has a long recovery time after a strike, so you can't do either of those things carelessly.
>>
>>3060594
And that's the thing, Castlevania's physics fly right in the face of my usual playstyle. I like games that have fluid motion and allow me to fine tune my movements and correct any mistakes I make. I mean, in a real-time game with shit going on around me, I don't want to be forced to commit to anything, and I don't want it to feel like my movements are locked to a grid either.
>>
>>3058736
>Why are the controls in every Castlevania game ever so bad?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.