[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got this today. Is it really that bad? So far, the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: n64_castlevania_p_y52mxa.jpg (76KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
n64_castlevania_p_y52mxa.jpg
76KB, 640x440px
I just got this today. Is it really that bad? So far, the only problem I have with it is the camera controls and the lock on.
>>
>>3058713
Decent 3D platformer. It's fucking horrible compared to literally any 2D Castlevania though.
>>
>>3058719
>horrible
Why, though? I can understand if it doesn't follow the usual Castlevania formula, but is it good on its own? Also, how's the sequel?
>>
That is pretty much it. It is a good game but the problem is that you have to get accustomed to the controls and that there are certain parts that the camera will fight you or make you die such as obscuring a platform you want to jump on and end up dying due to that.

So no, it isn't really that bad.
>>
>>3058720
Basically an expansion pack to this game. You should play that version instead since it contains everything from 64 plus some general improvements and new scenarios.
>>
>>3058741
You mean it has the original game AND more? Fuck. How much is it?
>>
You should have picked up Legacy of Darkness. It contains an improved version of Castlevania 64.
>>
>>3058949
It's expensive though, and the original contains voice acting for the original campaigns so it's not all bad for OP.
>>
>>3058713

CastleVania 64 is awful. I'll give them credit for trying (especially considering the late 90s was the era where every company was trying, generally with mixed results, to transition their franchises to 3D), but they fucked up.

If you want a 3D CastleVania game go play Dark Souls.
>>
>>3058963
Dark Souls is an action platformer?
>>
>>3058963
>go play Dark Souls.

fuck off with this /v/ shit

castlevania 64 is a solid 8/10 game
>>
>>3058965

No, but it is a better translation of the /vr/ CastleVania gameplay style than any of the actual 3D CastleVania games have been.

Slowly approaching an enemy, finding an opening to attack, dodging their attacks, getting to the end of an area and fighting a tough boss, etc.

The environments are a perfect match (crumbling gothic castles mixed with outdoor areas), the depressingly bleak tone is there, it all adds up to what is essentially a 3D spiritual successor to the classic 2D CastleVania games.

It's just sad that another company had to do it instead of Konami.
>>
>>3058995

Stop, Souls game are nothing like Castlevania.

Castlevaina was never about "slowly approaching an enemy", that's why nobody liked Lords of Shadow, because it focused on combat.
Castlevania is about jumping (platforming) and whipping (action). The fighting in Castlevania isn't the main centre of its design, it's just another part of it. It has more similitude with Mario's fireflower powerup, than it will ever have with any Dark Souls western-inspired, RPG-based sword play.

Also, Castlevania isn't supposed to have a "depressingly bleak tone", it's about being gothic in a cheesy, fashionable way, mimicking the Universal monster movies. Dark Souls is just inspired by the barren settings of old D&D games with medieval settings.
>>
>>3059003

>Castlevaina was never about "slowly approaching an enemy"

confirmed for never playing a castlevania game

try running through cv1 sometime mashing your whip button and see how long you last
>>
>>3059008

In what part of Castlevania 1 you need to slowly approach an enemy, circle around it, roll to the side to dodge and attack, etc?

I can breeze through the game faggot. It's not about "slowly" approaching enemies as it is about knowing WHEN you mash the whip button. And also about jumping, lots of jumping. Something you can't do on your western-inspired action RPG.
>>
File: haman is incredulous.jpg (50KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
haman is incredulous.jpg
50KB, 960x720px
>>3058713
>I just got this today. Is it really that bad?

If you already have it just play it and form you're own fucking opinion.

For fuck's sake, can you not spend the minimum effort
>>
>>3058963
>meme souls

Back to >>>/v/ you go.
>>
>>3058967
>castlevania 64 is a solid 8/10 game
You can't call out "/v/ shit", then proceed to spout bollocks like that.
>>
>>3058713
Camera and lock are fucked up so bad in the original release the game feels more like a beta. LoD is a much more satisfying albeit flawed experience.
>>
C64 has many good aspects as well as several stumbles, mixing into a roughly average game. As the franchise's first 3D outing, it was basically a practice run. Konami clearly learned from whatever mistakes they made because Lament of Innocence which came after it is exquisite.
>>
>>3059059
he's not wrong though
>>
File: flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg (75KB, 426x550px) Image search: [Google]
flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg
75KB, 426x550px
>>3059003
>>3058995
>>3058713

Sure, Dark Souls is nothing like Castlevania.

It's like METROIDVANIA.

And you'll enjoy it if you aren't a filthy casual.

It's more close to SOTN in terms of Castlevania, not the ones without RPG elements.

Just go torrent the PC Prepare to die edition, you won't regret it.
>>
>>3059357

You Soulsfags never give up, do you.
>>
File: king cuck.png (123KB, 193x334px) Image search: [Google]
king cuck.png
123KB, 193x334px
>>3059362

Nope : - )

Because it's actually one of the AAA games in this modern era that isn't complete horse shit.
>>
>>3059376

Okay but you're on /vr/. Stick to discuss retro stuff.

You can make a King's Field thread if you like Souls, Castlevania has nothing to do with these games.
>>
>>3058713
It's kinda shitty. It's the same situation like Zelda 2, where people for some reason later started to forgive it and then pretend like it was never bad.
>>
>>3059502
>It's the same situation like Zelda 2, where people for some reason later started to hate it and then pretend like it was never good
>>
I liked the design and multiple paths
>>
>>3059502
That's stupid. Zelda II is a solid game. You probably think it's terrible because it isn't like a traditional Zelda.
>>
>>3059017
I'm just asking if it gets any worse. I already played part of it.
>>
>>3059362
>>3059380
He was just saying thats the best thing you will get to a 3d metroidvania and you know its pretty spot on if you played the games so theres no need to be a shit about it dude.
>>
>>3058759
It's yours my friend, as long as you have enough rubies.
>>
>>3059502

Zelda 2 was always pretty good. Castlevania 64 was always mediocre.
>>
>>3059580

I don't remember it getting worse. I found it tolerably bland from start to finish. It has a few quirky spots I guess, the kind of stuff AVGN might (and in some cases did) pick at. But whatever, it's okay. Keep going if you like it, don't if you don't.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
Once you figure out how to work the awful camera the game is really fun....aside from the fucking Tower of Sorcery.
>>
>>3059580
>I'm just asking if it gets any worse. I already played part of it.

so? Are you unable to tell when a game stops being fun without some assholes online there to inform you of your opinion? Just keep playing till you stop liking it and to hell with what anyone else says.

Really are you scared you might develop an actual sense of personal taste?
>>
>>3059610

But you can't even jump on Souls.
As I said, Souls are inspired by old D&D and other western role playing games, not by Castlevania.

Want an actual 3D game inspired by Castlevania? Devil May Cry (the first one). It's pretty much a 3D metroidvania. Explore a big castle, backtrack once you get powerups and access new parts of the castle, enemies can be slashed quickly in a more arcade way (as opposed to Souls' slower gameplay), the aesthetics are gothic but still fashionable and cheesy (as opposed to Souls' barren, stereotypical medieval ones) and last but not least: there's MUSIC, rock and roll guitars and cheesy synth lines as opposed to the occasional orchestrated piece on Souls when you fight a boss.

Don't get me wrong, I like Souls (at least the ones I played, Demon's and the first Dark Souls), but they are nothing like Castlevania. Nothing about them reminds me of Castlevania. Even the Ghost Houses on Super Mario World remind me of Castlevania more than Souls do.
>>
>>3059993
>Really are you scared you might develop an actual sense of personal taste?
Yes. I'm just curious. No need to be so mad.
>>
>>3059990
Tower of Sorcery is fine. It's just straightforward platforming. Duel Towers is the one with the bullshit leaps of faith and no save crystals.
>>
File: cv64-01[1].jpg (505KB, 1512x1285px) Image search: [Google]
cv64-01[1].jpg
505KB, 1512x1285px
>>3058713
So did you start with Reinhardt or Carrie?
>>
>>3061149
Reinhardt because playing as the girl is for girls.
>>
File: MayorFreehaven.gif (11KB, 160x192px) Image search: [Google]
MayorFreehaven.gif
11KB, 160x192px
>>3058995
>No
Then it isn't what some people are looking for. We get it, you souls people love to butt into threads without knowledge of what made the games what they are and want more more hegemony across many series.
>>
Castlevania just doesn't work in 3D. They should've made a 2.5D game like Goemon's Great Adventure.
>>
File: [Judges Internally].gif (2MB, 331x240px) Image search: [Google]
[Judges Internally].gif
2MB, 331x240px
>>3058963
>Le epic dark souls.

Dark souls isn't a platformer and guess what tard it can't be a metroidvania either BECAUSE THEY ARE PLATFORMERS TOO FAG.

So no dark souls is not like castlevania i see no vampires i see no dracula.

Fuck off.

Also dark souls isn't retro go back to /v/ faggot.
>>
>>3062310
I think he means in the sense that it's dark fantasy. That was my first impression anyway.
>>
>>3062310
I know how you feel, but you can't deny that there are at least a few similarities.
>>
>>3063475
Whoops. Forgot a really important detail.
*there are a few similarities, at least with Symphony of the Night and maybe the other Castlevanias like it (haven't played them, so I wouldn't know if they made any changes to SotN's formula)..
>>
>>3061165
Enjoy Duel Towers!
>>
The game looks pretty decent, and the story segments are fun. The platforming is average at best, though, and the devs apparently thought that what a Castlevania game needed was 'Realism' - along the lines of having to manually pick up every single item instead of just getting them automatically by running over them.

It slows the game down somewhat awful, and is just the very opposite of fun,

Okay, I can see it actually being useful for weapon items - nobody wants to accidentally replace their holy water with a knife - but for /everything/? Idiotic decision.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.