[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best for handheld emulating?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: droid.jpg (44KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
droid.jpg
44KB, 500x333px
What's the best for handheld emulating?
>>
In my (admittedly limited) experience, most handheld emulators are horribly inaccurate junk. Stick to emulation on a real PC, and play actual portable games when you're out and about.
>>
>>3053917
I've been happily using my New 3DS for emulation. I like it more than a PSP.

But I suppose some kind of "android tablet with buttons" thing is going to be way better than either.
>>
>>3053943
Regular size or XL?
Is it comfy?
Are the buttons and d-pad any good?
Do the GB, GBC, and GBA emulators all run at full speed?
>>
One of those JXC units I suppose
>>
>>3054012
Not that anon but I use n3ds too.

My wrists are fucked so I use a grip with it but it's pretty comfy on it's own.
buttons and d-pad are good.
Yes they all run full speed.
You can either use Retroarch or rom injections (basically using Nintendo's emulators).

GBA injection uses actual hardware but looks kinda shitty on the 3DS screen.

I'm hoping for PSX emulation to pull through but the psx core in retroarch has been stuck at like 40fps with glitchy audio in most games.
>>
Probably a handheld PC
>>
>>3053917
Custom firmwared' PSP or New 3DS.
The rest is mediocre at best.
>>
>>3054039
Neat. An all in one handheld nintendo machine would be pretty cool.

Do GBA games look okay if you use retroarch instead of the injection?
>>
>>3054012
>Regular size or XL?
XL

>Is it comfy?
For regular games (Monster Hunter, Zeldas), yes. However, it's kind of heavy for games that use the stylus (like Pokemon Picross.)
Another thing is the D-Pad is pretty low. At first my thumb kind of hurt using it but I've gotten used to holding it lower.

>Are the buttons and d-pad any good?
They're clicky like a good tact switch. Not like most controllers that use the suction cup type of buttons. I like it, you can clearly tell when the button is pressed.

>Do the GB, GBC, [...] run at full speed?
Yes.

>GBA
It's hit and miss. I'm using the easy userland hack right now. Some games run fairly well but others refuse to reach 60 frames.

However, there is a difficult softmod that allows you to play GBA roms on the actual hardware (like a ds lite), meaning 100% compatibility.

So unless you want to go through the trouble, I wouldn't buy one for GBA emulation right now.
>>
I use my android galaxy s6 for all my emulation and it's pretty good imo

Use a ps4 controller via bluetooth and a nyko clip and it works pretty well.

Beat Valkyrie profile and SOTN on it, playing through Terrinigma right now
>>
>>3053917
>What's the best for handheld emulating?

PSP-1000, or 2000 if you feel you really need the extra RAM. I don't know if SNES or N64 emulation would actually benefit from it. Everything else seems to run flawlessly, and you have effectively the entire PS1 library at your disposal as well.

A PSP is going to be much more affordable than a 3DS, and has arguably better overall emulation support. 3DS can handle some platforms quite well, but you're looking at a pretty hefty investment.
>>
>>3053927
PS1 emulation on the PSP or Vita is probably the one case where you can get equal or better results than the best PC emulators. The one remaining advantage of PC emulation would be the CRT shaders.
>>
>>3054012
I sold my 3DS because none of the games interested me.

I really wouldn't get one just for emulation, they're expensive.
>>
>>3055052
Pretty sure it would be worth it for me for the Etrian odyssey games alone. Loved those on the ds.
>>
>>3055189
Fair enough then
>>
>>3054291
I don't think it's actually emulation since the PSP supports PS1 games natively.That's why it's so much better.
>>
>>3055217
It's still emulation in PSP's case, because even though most of the MIPS opcodes are executed natively, the internal hardware of the PS1 differs from the PSP and thus needs to be emulated but it does so at an acceptable enough speed since the CPU part is free.
>>
>>3055293
It's not really fair when comparing two devices.

Right now people are getting butthurt because snes vc came out on the new 3ds only.
>"If the PSP can emulate the PS1 flawlessly, the 3ds sure can do snes emulation!"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.