[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck were you supposed to know how to damage anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1434957262586.jpg (75KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
1434957262586.jpg
75KB, 500x497px
How the fuck were you supposed to know how to damage anything in this game?
>>
Really forcing this meme hard, aren't we?
>>
>>3050258
It's going to get worse when spring break starts in April.
>>
Protip the gameplay doesn't get better.

Why people like this repetitive shit is beyond me.
>>
This meme is horrendous.
>>
>>3050258
>>3050445

Two possibilities:

>A: this meme will wear itself out after a few days, like the constant threads about 6th gen games we went through a few weeks ago
>B: this meme will stay forever, just like "my wife".
>>
>>3050248
Vagrant Story actually has one of the best in game manuals I've ever fucking seen. Not reading it is your own damn fault.
>>
>>3050441
Does it age well though considering?
>>
>2 discs
Never noticed that before.
So what's on the second disc? Seeing as the game is 66 MB
>>
>>3050493
It was just one of them demo discs from Square; I only remember Chrono Cross and Dewprism demos, but there were some others
>>
>>3050441

This. Vagrant Story is probably one of the most overrated underrated games ever. I can deal with the block puzzles. I can deal with the combat itself, and chaining attacks together. But having to constantly fiddle with weapons and swap them around to use on the 'right' enemies is tedious as all fuck. It's a real pity too, because it's got such great graphics and atmosphere. I'd love to see them make a sequel to this game that isn't catered towards people with terminal autism.
>>
>>3050478

No, you're better off with FF tactics for similar gameplay experience but less hassle. i'm not a big fan of slow games like these though.
>>
>>3050662
>But having to constantly fiddle with weapons and swap them around to use on the 'right' enemies is tedious as all fuck.

So learn how to craft properly and don't switch your weapons.
>>
>>3050684

Oh, so you're saying you can create a weapon that's just great at fighting everything? Oh wait, you can't. Because that's bullshit. You're always gonna be swapping weapons around and even the crafting is annoying as all fuck.

I swear to god, it's only the most obnoxious retro elitists who defend this game.
>>
>>3050248
investing time in knowing, playing, etc
>>
>>3050248
There's a scan spell, and enemies tend to follow patterns, for instance silver works splendidly on all undead.

Though I will admit, knowing HOW to check enemy stats after scanning them is a bit of a bitch.
>>
>>3050493
The game is actually a lot bigger than that, it just compresses extremely well.

>>3050691
You actually can. Maintaining it that way is a bit on the tricky side but it's perfectly possible. It doesn't have to be "great", just reasonable at the minimum.
>>
>>3050691
I went through my entire first playthrough I think using a hagane sword.

The affinities are bullshit. I think people put far too much emphasis on it. You're always better off with just a strictly higher damage weapon.

Your best bet for a first playthrough is actually not to use any of the games advanced mechanics, which sounds stupid as fuck, but is way better.

>Chains
Only chain once or twice then drop the combo, your accuracy and damage plummets on multiple chains and your risk rises a shitload, the only exception is if you get really good at chaining, and do a really high risk/reward strategy like Raging Ache.

>Affinities
Stated before, pretty worthless. You can always grind on a statue if you want to min/max but over all don't even bother with them.

Vagrant Story is a JRPG at it's core. It's not some pseudo-tactical action game. Expecting anything else is just going to disappoint you.
>>
>>3050714

Sounds extremely boring playing it like that, to be honest. Stringing together chains was one of the things I actually liked about the game. I mean, you can't really look at me and tell me, after acknowledging all of this, that this game doesn't have some serious flaws.
>>
>>3050720
You're flawed
>>
File: bVZzk[1].gif (33KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
bVZzk[1].gif
33KB, 400x300px
>>3050732

No, you're a towel.
>>
>>3050720
I played it on PS3 since I lent my PS2 to a friend at the time so I was having difficulty getting the timing of the chains down due to the input lag of playing on the PS3.

I agree, chains are fun, but they are absolutely risk/reward, which is one of the core gameplay mechanics in Vagrant Story since you're playing a "Riskbreaker".

The weapon thing is mostly true though. Affinities usefulness are really over emphasized. Like I said, I used a Hagane Sword for most of the game, and I think I used a silver dagger at the last boss since I died a couple times (I was cursed for two of them but I didn't want to go find a curse healing item), but switched back to my sword and spammed Break Arts and Risk lowering items on the final form.

I agree that a lot of Vagrant Story is pretty badly designed. You basically are forced to use what, Heracles and Item Up (forget the name). It's the difference between getting 100-0'd and taking something ridiculously low like 7 damage from the final boss' whatever ultimate attack is called (Crimson Pain or something)

I don't think it's bad, it's just formulaic. You upgrade your weapon, upgrade the handles, and the gems, and get paltry stat bonuses from bosses. You can "grind" affinities for bonuses, to improve your weapons vs. specific types, but it's not required.

It's more of like a survival JRPG I guess if it makes sense. Your resources are pretty limited until you get healing spells, and it's about finding gear and materials to make better gear to survive the increased challenge. I think it was a solid first playthrough, but I probably won't be going back anytime soon.
>>
>>3050248
How can you not know if you read the physical manual and in-game manual? I actually liked how it was tough as nails in the beginning. As soon as you get the hang of it (for me it was after the first dragon) then the game becomes disappointingly easy/formulaic.
>>
>>3050691
>You're always gonna be swapping weapons around
Not when Raging Ache makes any kind of melee/ranged strategy based on affinities moot.
And you don't need to switch anything ever if you just make a high Physical weapon, just use the Shaman's elemental buffs and go to town if you think you're not damaging things enough by abusing Raging Ache.
>>3050747
>Heracles
>Actually using Herakles
>When Shaman spells and Raging Ache exist
Both Herakles and Prostasia seem very good on paper, they're actually shit, the only useful offensive buffs are the elemental ones.
The problem isn't the battle design, in theory it's a pretty good system, the problem is that the actual tools are unbalanced as hell and again, Raging Ache/Mind Ache make any kind of tool worthless, not even Asura can withstand Raging Ache abuse.
And even if you don't want to use Raging Ache, because let's say it, it's cheap as hell, you can still emply exactly 3 neurons and embed the right jewels on a Hagane/Damascus weapon and kill everything forever since Physical attribute trumps any other element and affinity in the game by far.
>>
>>3051002
From what I played, Herakles and Prostasia greatly increase your defenses, which is the primary reason I used it since I would still get nailed with stuff like Bloody Sin occasionally.

But I agree, a lot of the stuff is completely abusive and overpowered. You can get through the game using the stupid recover 50% of the damage you recieved defensive movie and never die.

I agree that from a min/max standpoint, Vagrant Story is very breakable and exploitable, and a lot of the chain abilities are mostly worthless, and the few that are worthwhile are usually grossly overpowered.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, but a lot of it's difficulty is due to a rather high barrier to entry and sifting through what's good and what's not.

The speedrun only uses the starting weapon and just abuses those chains
>>
Residual from an era when Squaresoft overdesigned their games, the 30 element types in Vagrant Story, the 60 playable characters in Chrono Cross, the trivial zodiac and date systems in FF Tactics, and so on.
>>
>>3050248

>tfw chipping the final boss for 1 damage

I never knew what the hell I was doing the whole game but it was fun.
>>
>>3050671
there's absolutely nothing about this game thats similar to tactics
>>
>>3051834
It takes place in the same world, Ivalice, and was made by the same director: Yasumi Matsuno

Obviously gameplay wise its vastly different, but you know, there are similarities, like art style.
>>
>>3050248
by paying attention.

Your weapons gain alignment the more they fight certain monsters. Have a few good weapons for dealing with the different enemies, and you're looking good.

Then you get into crafting your own weapons and realize just how awesome you can make them. Great game, awesome combat, puzzles, atmosphere, setting, difficulty, soundtrack.

I think its probably my favorite RPG, even though the graphics haven't aged that well, the rest of the game still holds up.
>>
The UI is such a clunky piece of shit and the affinity system is so utterly retarded that it's only properly playable by hacking your affinity shit.
>>
File: groucho-marx-03.jpg (38KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
groucho-marx-03.jpg
38KB, 300x360px
>>3050449
>>B: this meme will stay forever, just like "my wife".

Have you tried counseling
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.