[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do ppl like Donkey Kong Country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 12

File: DK.png (382KB, 853x809px) Image search: [Google]
DK.png
382KB, 853x809px
Can anybody tell me what is supposed to be good about this game?
It's this very monotone gameplay running around without a purpose. All those barrells and bananas have no purpose. I was really bored and never finished this game. I have kind of an aversion against it. The only thing I liked was the atari retro dad talking like us here on /vr/.

I think Mario is a superior game. I mean the nes trilogy. Mario World is kinda so-so. What makes Mario gameplay so superior to Donkey Kong? Is it saving the princess? Is it the awesome speed, flow and the BOING sound? Is is the creative level design and the awesome music?

I think Donkey Kong Land Country is a really uninspiring game.
Can fans explain to me what they find good about this game?
>>
>>3049606

Nice blog.
>>
>>3049608
???
What has that to do with anything?
Do you have no arguments, uncivilized anon?
>>
I don't like it either to be honest. Remember when it used to look amazing? Turns out all that rendering was covering up uninspired gameplay. The second game is quite good though.
>>
File: oic.jpg (360KB, 1792x1080px) Image search: [Google]
oic.jpg
360KB, 1792x1080px
DKC is great because it just is

I'd go on about it but really, it's my favorite, and I can't be bothered to convert someone. Not everyone likes DKC - and just because they're wrong doesn't mean I have to convince them

That being said it's really good
>>
I am only posting to see if sage still works.

p.s.
OP likes the BBC
>>
>>3049626
I like you. I agree. It's just like with SMW. Some hate some love it.
>>
But op dkc is the best platformer on the snes. Search your heart. You know it to be true
>>
File: 1449164911711.gif (865KB, 370x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449164911711.gif
865KB, 370x281px
I was playing it recently and during the water stage I uttered "this game is the tits" out loud so clearly my father passing by the door outside could hear. I don't give a fuck though, tis true.
>>
It was the last snes blockbuster basically. It was fun and the graphics were new. 20 years of nostalgia cultivated the narrative from there. Refer to earthbound
>>
>>3049641
I'd rather play super mario bros. 1
dkc is like smoking laced weed
>>
I "get" what you mean, but I still think it's a pretty solid journey.
When DKC2 was under development at least, they realized how "omg 3d graffix" wouldn't cut it anymore so they janked up the atmosphere and put more emphasis on gameplay, notably the gimmicks. This was the sweet spot.
DKC3 was a bit forced because the N64 was already a thing, so my best guess is that it played a role in the reason why DKC3 is even more gimmicky.
>>
>>3049606
>>3049624
A pretty critical review of the game from
Neogaf. The responses were angry.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=412234
>>
>>3049647
But earthbound is actually good.
>>
I like it because OP dislikes it. That's reason enough.
>>
>>3049654
Agreed 100% with that guy. Never even bothered beat it as a kid, it was so boring
>>
>>3049606

Play DKC2. Take in the music and the art. It gets amazing.
>>
>>3049606

And make sure you use a proper CRT filter with scanlines
>>
File: BJ-Hunnicut-MASH.jpg (43KB, 377x502px) Image search: [Google]
BJ-Hunnicut-MASH.jpg
43KB, 377x502px
DKC is my favorite.

The levels feel fine and the controls work
The music is great too
The spirtes looked amazing back then.

It aint for everyone, most people prefers marios looks which i can see why, espeically all the powerups in 3 however keep in mind there were many shitty platformers back then and good ones were a god send.
>>
OP here.
So it's obvious I'm not going to be getting any serious and thoughtful discussion going on in this matter seeing as you all act like bunch of uncivilized cavemen.
Thankfully I have a complete collection of Sonic games I can relax with to get this whole affair out of my hair, you know, the far superior game series...
>>
>>3049606
it's crap hop n bop tiresome nonsense
>>
>>3049917
Sonic is too fast for me. I like slower paced games like mario and DKC.

Go play sonic if you enjoy them.

Also anyone here play Donkey Kong 94? best non pokemon GameBoy game.
>>
>>3049907
MASH was fucking great
>>
>>3049676
>hipster
>>
>>3049917
You're not OP. Fake hoe. Stop using posts to push your agenda. Sonic sucks
>>
>>3049606
DKC has too much shit to collect in each stage and most of it doesn't matter. Also the areas you can stand on ledges and small platforms have really bad visual acuity making it hard to judge difficult jumps.

In comparison Mario has only coins to collect, with World adding the five dragon coins for each stage, and the visual acuity is very precise.
>>
>>3049606
Purpose:
Some scaly nigga took your bananas.
Go fuck him up!

I don't see how that is any different than:
Some scaly nigga took the princess.
Go fuck him up!

>>3050180
Who cared about visual acuity back then? This was an incredibly impressive game for its time. Both visually and gameplay-wise. You could do a lot of things with the environment. Smacking the ground to find secrets, breaking walls with barrels, and even some cool barrel-puzzles.

And complaining about collecting shit?
Everything you collect are just for the purpose of getting extra lives.

Pros:
Good graphics
Awesome music
Fun stages and bosses
Rhinos
Minecarts
BARRELS!

Cons:
Attracts the attention of raging retards. Poor visual acuity? Go fuck yourself!
>>
>>3050212
There was like three different tokens for ollecting lives, tokens for saving the game (what the even fuck) and tokens needed to unlock the final stage of the game. Shit was bananas.

DKC was a lot like Earthworm Jim, Neat looking graphics, boring gameplay and did absolutely nothing innovative. Actually, the partner system was interesting, but the game didn't actually leverage it in any real way.

Ironsword on the NES was a more interesting Rare-developed game. Hell, Battletoads on the NES did more interesting stuff as a Beat Em Up/Belt Scrolling Brawler and it still had issues with indicating the edge of platforms in some areas.
>>
>>3050225
The save game coin is for the gbc port. I hope you don't base your opinion on a (all though good for its time) shitty port.
The original DKC had bananas, balloons and the KONG letters, which all gave extra lives. And of course the animal tokens for the bonus stages, which also gave extra lives, but were awesome in their own way.

The partner system was improved in the later GBC games, and could be used to reach special areas.
>>
>>3050254
>GBC games
Typed too fast. I meant DKC games.
>>
>>3050225
Reminder that the first save in each world is always free.
>>
>>3050254
Did 2 have the save game tokens for the granny kong? I could be thinking of DKC2 with that. Still, Bananas, baloons, and letters all for just giving extra lives is too much. Hell, World 2: Yoshi's Island almost went too far with coins, red coins and flowers.
>>
>>3050269
You know they literally copied the coins, mushrooms, yoshi coins in mario world. Or are you just playing retard?
>>
>>3050269
I disagree, but I see your point.

For me the DKC series have always been about exploration. The insane amount of secrets and bonus levels in these games just gave me added replay value.
>>
>>3050275
Mushrooms weren't sitting around cluttering up the screen. You never had to take some meandering side passage to get one and then backtrack through after collecting it.

Actually thinking more about it now World had the fucking 3up Moons and shit. Luckily those were rare as fuck, but man it DOES bug me a little.
>>
>>3050286
>No items, Mario only, final destination.
You make it sound like picking up OPTIONAL collectibles is a fucking chore. And cluttering the screen? Jeez. Did you even play these games?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzeNWKKo3o
>>
>>3049924
>Anyone here who played Donkey Kong 94? Best non pokemon GameBoy game.

I did and I still like it for the combination of tight platforming, fun puzzles, very challenging difficulty near the end and the music. Not sure if I could call it the best non-pokemon Gameboy game (I would give that title to Tetris) but it's definitely one of the better GB games.

Donkey Kong Country is a decent game, even if you don't really pay attention to the visuals. To me, the music is what really made it stand out, next to some fun platforming. Getting all the bonuses was a chore however. Its two sequels expanded on the game and improved almost everything about it.
>>
>>3049606
I don't really like DKC either, but for the most part, levels have a really nice "flow" and usually enemies are placed in a way where you can easily chain bounces together and progress very quickly.

It's got a nice aesthetic, and it's pretty barebones with no power ups

The barrel segments really ruin the game for me though.
>>
>>3050307
Items are cool, powerups change the way you play. Coins/Bananas? They do nothing but help break up empty spaces and serve as a way to direct player movement. Which isn't bad necessarily. Then you throw in your Dragon Coins or red/blue coins or KONG letters as a method to get players to replay a stage for completion and, okay still not that bad. Flowers or whatever (forgot what triggers this in DKC) that give you a bonus chance at the end of a stage? (in World 2 this also counts for 100% stage completion) As long as it's not also JUST giving lives, like powerups which can be stored and used later, then it's not so bad. Mario 3 started a good trend there.

But instead of powerups, DKC has the animal partners. And they are given to you at very specific points because if you were able to use them as freely as a feather or leaf or fireflower they would either be useless or break the stage by trivializing the challenge because DKC had some terribly designed stages and power ups.

Oh, and Yoshi's Wooly World is another one with too many fucking things to collect. So annoying.
>>
>>3050284
Absolutely this. I can't think of a platformer with more secrets before DKC except maybe Mario 3. To me that's what makes it so good, it always rewards creative and skillful play.

Add to that the great music and atmospheric levels and you have a great game. I do think people overstate the amount of atmosphere due to nostalgia but the whole first game had this strong Indiana Jones mysterious adventure theme going on and then 2 went much further to make environments feel very oppressive. It's a totally different feel than Mario.
>>
>>3049606
Why is DK farting on Diddy
>>
>>3049606
DKC was one of the first "collectathon" games that became super popular in the PS1 era. I think it appeals to those people.
>>
>>3050378
>dislike Mario 64
>dislike DKC series
>dislike Banjo series

HOLY SHIT IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW
>>
>>3050384
I think because it was 2D, people didn't recognize DKC for what it was but it was really the start of a new genre.
>>
>>3049606
Smooth controls, lovely graphics, nice music.
What more could you want??
I like both SMW and DKC a lot.
These two are just reference 2D sidescrolling J'n'R's, also classy as fuck.
>>
>>3049606
It's too late now, hipster.
>>
Basic but fun gameplay, colorful characters and great music. That's all you really need.
>>
Nostalgiafags like it because the ugly prerendered sprites blew their minds for some reason and that one good underwater music track.

Nothing beats NES platformers when it comes to actual platforming.
>>
>>3050406
>lovely graphics
I know taste is subjective, but DKCs graphics looked bad even when it was new. Unless you think Rise of the Robots had great graphics as well?

>>3050348
How do you call out Mario 3, but ignore World which had way more secrets AND rewarded creative and skillful play moreso than 3 or DKC?
>>
>>3050406
>Smooth controls, lovely graphics, nice music.
>What more could you want??

Interesting gameplay maybe?!? It's supposed to be a fucking game. DKC is just a pretty banana collecting simulator with nice music.
>>
I really like how the game is set up to speed through really really quickly, like it's almost got a rhythm with its obstacle and enemy setups, but if you're the kind of person who likes to explore there are a lot of treasures to find. The music is nice, the bosses are fun...It's just a really solid game. Its ok to not like it op, everyone has opinions, but I find it pretty weird to not be able to comprehend why others would enjoy it.
>>
>>3050430
What "interesting gameplay" does Mario have that DKC doesn't, dicksicle?
>>
>>3050432
I feel like anyone who enjoys DKC after giving any sort of thought to it's design isn't someone who I'd trust their opinions on other games.

I mean, I have my own Bad Games that I like despite them being bad, but my friends know I make it clear when I talk about games being good/having good design versus games I like/hate based on nostalgia/personal preference.
>>
>>3050457
Jesus, you sound like an insufferable faggot. I don't even want to know what games you consider "good."
>>
>>3050450
If we're including everything up until World 2? How about keeping your powerups at the end of a level to use on the next level? That was all the way back to the first SMB. 2 had selectable characters with different abilities. 3 had an amazing array of stages. World had more alternate paths and secrets. World 2 had fun bonus minigames and amazing bosses. And even if you disagree on some of these points, I cannot believe that you could in good faith argue that DKC has an equal amount or more "interesting gameplay" than every single one of these titles.
>>
>>3050450

Pick up mechanics and power ups for starters.
>>
>>3050472
DKC has both of those mechanics. I doubt you've even played it.
>>
>>3050469
Yeah, that did come off as pretty pretentious on a reread. Still, the point stands. DKC is a bad game and sold well on advertising and graphics.
>>
>>3050484
DKC is an excellent series with tight controls, gameplay that was built for speedrunning, incredibly strong art direction, incredibly strong character design, and a world that was a thousand times more compelling than Mario's. Each level has hidden secrets, some have hidden exits, there are loads of different types of powerups to get and the music is orgasmic. Go smell your own farts somewhere else.
>>
>>3050480
I feel like you've not played Mario games, or you have a really shallow understanding of game design if you think that DKC has Mario 2's breadth of pick-up mechanics or the depth of any Mario game's powerup mechanics.

It fails even against SMB's Mushroom/Fireflower because you don't keep your powerup equivalent (animal buddies) past where the game allows you to use them, and the powerups don't stack in a tier-like structure as the mushroom and fireflower do.
>>
>>3050015

more like

>straight male
>>
>>3050480

Except they're kind of half assed in DKC. You can't really do much when you pick up a barrel, there's little variation as opposed to what you can do with a shell, a power switch or a bombomb. The power ups are abysmal and situational rather than giving you an alternative way to play through a stage.

Just because DKC sort of had those mechanics does not mean they added anything worthwhile to the gameplay.
>>
>>3050490
Stacking powerups is a crutch and makes the game piss-easy. I'm sorry, but if you're going to use a very slightly different take on powerups as justification for DKC being limited compared to SMB, you're just shitposting. The animal buddies provide plenty of gameplay styles, arguably more than Mario's suits.
>>
>>3050487
Super Mario World? Like, it has everything you said except for the Speedrunning comment which just feels out of place due to it being a very narrow style of gameplay of which DKC doesn't even support as well as games that are dedicated to that style of play.
>
>>
>>3050501
You're still incredibly limited by where the stage designers placed the animals as opposed to every Mario game where everything except for like the Frog Suit in 3 can be used and useful in some fashion anywhere in the game.
>>
>>3050501
>crutch

I don't see how allowing you to choose your own difficulty setting is a crutch. You can get through the game as small Mario if you want that challenge. Then it becomes hard as fuck.
>>
>>3050506
That anon is an idiot. DK and Diddy acting like an extra hit for you is even more of a crutch because it's like you just start out with the mushroom every time.
>>
>>3050494
DKC has bombs, switches and iron barrels. Many of Mario's suits are situational. I'd say the mechanics add as much to DK as they would to any sidescroller
>>3050502
"It's not Mario, so it sucks"
>>3050504
>frog suit
>useful
go fuck yourself, seriously
>>3050506
Then play DKC with one Kong, you idiot, it's the same shit.
>>3050517
One Kong = One Hit, same as Mario.

Holy hell. I bet you people think you have informed opinions, too.
>>
>>3050519
I specifically called out the frog suit as NOT being useful, idiot.
>One Kong = One Hit, same as Mario.
Except you always start with both of them. So you always start being able to take a hit without having to restart. Also, like the mushroom, when you have both DK & Diddy you have more movement options.
>>
>>3050526
The point is that the useless power up exists, whereas there is no such equivalent in DKC because it practices better economy of design. And no, you don't always start with both of them. That's blatantly incorrect. But you probably didn't even play these games, anyway.
>>
>>3050534
>economy of design

That's a nice way of saying railroading. I bet you love hallway shooters too.
>>
>>3050542
Nice false equivalency. I can assume you have no argument left then and admit you were always just shitposting?
>>
>>3050534
Haha, the "economy of design" is that the animal buddies are just sectioned off in small, controlled areas. That's not economy of design, that's just not allowing the player any freedom to explore the uses of the tools you give them outside of the very specific challenges you've set. Why limit the player so much? Because the stage design isn't very creative and so every detail has to be tightly controlled.
>>
>>3050548

It's not false equivalency when I can see through your bullshit. Mislabeling in order to misconstrue is pretty obvious here.
>>
>>3050553
>Why limit the player so much? Because the stage design isn't very creative and so every detail has to be tightly controlled.
Ah, now here's where you've really tarded up you argument. It's actually the exact opposite; Mario allows the use of any powerup in any environment simply because the environments aren't very diverse. The greatest discrepancy in styles is underwater vs. on land, which is why the frog suit sucks balls half the time.

DK, on the other hand, provides such diverse challenges that not all powerups will function correctly in a given environment. You can't ride Rambi while in a minecart, and for good reason. It would make the game suck, just like the frog suit can make Mario 3 suck.

The player isn't being limited. They are given an option that works, and no options that don't work.

>>3050563
Yeah? Explain how.
>>
>>3050569
Haha, you really think the Mario games do not have diverse environments? Even the first game which has the least variety in stage types still manages to give each World a different feel due to how the stages are designed similarly within each world.

And it only gets more diverse from there as the games go on. Mario 3 having an incredible variety that rivals even World 1 & 2.

Are you just arguing in bad faith now or do you just have a really poor understanding of game design?
>>
>>3050579
>manages to give each World a different feel due to how the stages are designed similarly within each world.
I'm kind of speechless that you could come up with a reply that terrible. Am I just babysitting retards now?
>>
>>3050583
Just calling names now? So bad faith it is. Here's your last (You) from me.
>>
>>3050589
Good. Get the fuck out of this thread and off this board. You can't win an argument with ad hom and you certainly can't do it by covering your ears and singing.

>>>/v/
>>
>>3050569

>explain how

You call a duck an eagle and hope we don't notice
>>
>>3050607
I'll bother to give you a proper reply when you bother to explain why I was wrong.
>>
>>3050610

No point if you didn't get it the first time.
>>
>>3050616
Lol, get out of here faggot
>>
>>3050616
Give it a rest, he used an ad hom attack just before using its usage as an attack. He's making idiot arguments that make no sense. It's not worth it to continue the conversation.
>>
>>3050627
Not a single person has refuted one of my well-stated points. I've been waiting for an hour. At this juncture, it's just more fun to call you a retard for replies.
>>
>>3050619

Now you're just baiting for replies

You really think we haven't seen shitposter tactics like that before?

Wew lad
>>
>>3049647
No one bought earthbound and the graphics were shit in comparison to its contemporaries. That said its my favorite game of all time because of how the simplistic graphics and outlandish music stand out more today than any other snes jrpg.
>>
File: 1451189797772.gif (476KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
1451189797772.gif
476KB, 400x302px
A lot of people enjoy the simplicity of it and how simple it is. Personally I've only played 1 and thought it was ok. Music is fantastic, some levels are also really beautiful and atmospheric, such as the snow, crystal caves, and water levels. Enemy placement is interesting, almost has a rhythm to it having you jump on a row of enemy. I found some of levels quite boring though, I remember one level where all you do is sit on a platform which was boring to play. Bosses are pitiful and not fun to play, however I feel the same for mario 3 and world. While I wasn't that impressed by it I understand a lot of people like that and understand why.
>>
>>3050635
Nothing gets past you, does it?
>>
IMO: DKC is alright. DKC2 did everything that DKC did but better, hence why DKC2 is a classic.
>>
File: squitter-the-spider-871.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
squitter-the-spider-871.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>3050225
>Shit was bananas.

I see what you did there
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

what this thread reminds me of
>>
>>3050783
>>3050783
That's like all /vr/ in a nutshell.

>I think this game is great!
>You faggot, that game is new casualized bullshit. This older game was much better but you will never appreciate it
>Fuck you gramps!
>Fuck you too, Kiddo
>>
DKC sucks. Honestly. Even Crash Bandicoot aka Temple Run is more fun. And that is saying a lot.
>>
Jeez, this thread went to hell.
I love both Mario and DKC, but for different reasons.
Most of the comparisons so far between DKC and SMW have been kind of pointless. Smells of fanfaggotry. Same as the Mario vs Sonic bullshit.

Graphics:
The art-style is completely different. One could argue that the SMW graphics have aged more gracefully than that of DKC, but that is probably because it now looks better on an emulator. Both games blew me away when I first played them.
Sound:
The sound effects and music are great in both games. Personally I favor the DKC music.
Gameplay:
Here is where you retards fuck up, because of your own personal preferences. The games are TOO DIFFERENT to be cherry picking on details.

SMW is a more "classical" platformer, where fast-paced jumping and movement is key. It adds a lot of new content, and Mario's moveset is heavily expanded with the new powerups and with Yoshi.

DKC is a more slow-paced atmospheric game, where a lot of work have gone into the level design. There is also a bit more varied gameplay compared to SMW, with many levels focused around stuff like ropes, barrels or minecarts. DKC focus a bit more on exploration, but the platforming elements are also challenging in their own right.

So, my conclusion is:
Both are objectively great games.
Like it or not, it does not make it less true.
>>
>>3050880
who cares
>>
>>3049820
So do I. The game sucks.
>>
>>3051074
This. There are so much better games for snes.
>>
>>3051104
Indeed. Mega Man X.
>>
Because the movement and attacking mechanics are all fun. It's enjoyable to cartwheel a line of enemies to death, grab a barrel at the end and fling it at a bee overhead in one smooth motion. Everything else is window dressing.
>>
>>3051271
Automated barrels are fun?
>>
>>3049606
>atari retro dad talking like us here on /vr/
Elaboration please?
>>
>>3049648
Have you ever even smoked laced weed?
First off, laced weed is incredibly rare.
Practically nonexistent.
Secondly, if you were to lace your weed yourself, it could really awesome depending on what you lace it with.
>>
File: advanced shitposting.png (222KB, 446x689px) Image search: [Google]
advanced shitposting.png
222KB, 446x689px
>>3049820
>>3051074
>>3051104
>>3051240
>Samefagging this hard

The hatred goes beyond with this individual.
>>
>>3051272
are you implying all the barrel canons are automated? there's so little of these, you normally don't even notice
>>
>>3051429
Only a certain American minortiy can be this dumb.
>>
>>3051371
You're sick.
>>
>>3049610
>4chan
>civilized
best meme
>>
>>3051560
nice mspaintjob faggot, I'm calling the authorities
>>
>>3052041
do it fagface.

>>3052039
well, you're hopeless so w/e.
>>
File: 1455016525804.jpg (54KB, 700x547px) Image search: [Google]
1455016525804.jpg
54KB, 700x547px
>>3049606
>It's this very monotone gameplay running around without a purpose.
The purpose is to get from point A to point B much like 90% of the platform/adventure games from that time.
>All those barrells and bananas have no purpose
I guess the same could be said about coins and "?" blocks in Mario.
>s it the awesome speed, flow and the BOING sound? Is is the creative level design and the awesome music?
DKC does these much better though.
>>
>>3052236
oh no it's retarded :(
>>
I loved DKC3 when i was a kid, but trying to play the games now.. there's something about the visuals and sound design that literally makes me feel ill.

I feel like playing the game or even hearing the soundtrack makes me feel dirty and I need to shower, it's the worst.
>>
File: 1453664130186.jpg (60KB, 675x470px) Image search: [Google]
1453664130186.jpg
60KB, 675x470px
>>3049654
>actually, those bees are getting boring, just replace them with spikey wheels, no one will notice
kek, he certainly didn't noticed anything. "Spikey wheels" are totally immune against any kind of attack while bees die easily from barrels or Rhino attacks.
What a awful review.
>>
>>3049606

>It's this very monotone gameplay running around without a purpose. All those barrells and bananas have no purpose.

literally every platformer ever. you could say shit like "mario is just running around and the coins don't do anything I don't understand why people like this shit"
>>
i feel the same, OP
DKC is a very blandly-designed platformer. it's just all of the 'stock' platformer elements thrown together. in a bunch of 'stock' platformer environments. it's not original.

if it had been anything other than a flagship nintendo game with prerendered graphics, it would have gone the way of plok
>>
>>3053502
i should also state at this point that dkc's core gameplay is extremely repetitive, the only variation comes from the levels, which vary between 'actually fun' and 'annoying gimmick'. the controls are extremely simple and most of the enemies move in predictable patterns.

compare the CGLs of this and mario world. in mario world, you're always doing something different. in DKC you're always doing the same thing, and it's normally 'waiting for the exact right time to move right'
>>
>>3053513

>when mario does something it's "fun variation"
>when dkc does something it's an "annoying gimmick"

>the controls are extremely simple

Mario and DKC has the same functions: Walk, run button, and jump with various power up put in levels.

>most of the enemies move in predictable patterns.

So you're saying that mario enemies don't move in predictable patterns?
>>
I understand the criticism that the gameplay is "bland", especially compared to DKC2.

I think the charm to DKC likes more in the graphics, music and general atmosphere, rather than the platforming itself. It's no DKC2, but it's still a really good game (coming from someone who isn't a big fan of 2D platformers).
>>
>>3053069
I feel you. There is some raunchy about this game. It's like the brown note of video gaming.
>>
>>3053486
the difference is that the mario trilogy on the NES was something original and refreshing.
>>
>>3053542
Whether it was original or not 20 years ago doesn't matter today. We're talking about how good it is to play, nobody gives a shit about anything else. Nobody gives a shit about who was being innovative and who heavily borrowed off others when they actually sit down to play a game.
>>
>>3053520
the reason that when mario does something it's a fun variation is because is.

you pick up the cape. you can fly. it's fun. you hop on yoshi. you can eat things. it's fun.

change perspective to dkc. now there's a level where you're only allowed to move at certain times. it's not fun. in mario's variations, the CGL changes, in DKC's variations it doesn't, there's normally just an extra thing that kills you

the closest DKC gets to variation is animal buddies and minecraft rides, but these don't augment the CGL, they just completely remove it and replace it with something else, normally something which doesn't control very well

mario's controls are complex. he ducks. he slides along the ground. he can use yoshi for a boost. he can run at p-speed for a higher jump. etc etc. he has weight an inertia. to compare, DK and diddy can pretty much turn on a dime. there is some acceleration but that's not the point. a lot of what makes mario enjoyable is mastering the feeling of weight and inertia and using it to traverse the world effectively. in DKC, moving from one place to another is trivial, and to make up for that, they just spam you with enemies and hazards

DKC's enemies are the most basic an enemy can get. they walk along the ground or move back and forth. sometimes they jump, sometimes they have iframes. mario's enemies have emergent properties and are often combined and layered in interesting ways. DKC never really does this, it just resorts to longer levels, tighter jumps and etc. the CGL never gets more complex, there just becomes less room for error

now, this is the same design philosophy that rare applied in battletoads. but it works a lot better in battletoads, partially because battletoads has a more arcade-y structure, and partially because the ideas that battletoads uses are just better. battletoads is like a tour through all these weird madcap ideas. it doesn't work in a game that's supposed to be longer and more fleshed-out
>>
>>3049606
>graphics were awesome that time
>controls feel very statisfying
>can get challenging
>awesome soundtrack

Rolling down the ledge to jump the last second while in air.... I love it.

Well the point is DKC 2 was better and can be very challenging.
>>
File: 1355150285598.jpg (21KB, 536x400px) Image search: [Google]
1355150285598.jpg
21KB, 536x400px
>>3053749
>minecraft rides
>>
>>3053696
This is no argument.
Mario was innovative.
Donkey Kong wasn't.
>Whether it was original or not 20 years ago doesn't matter today
This is /vr/ and not /v/
>>
>>3049606
i liked it, the minecart levels were great and probably had some of the better final boss music out there, hell i still have that as my phone ringtone, cause its one hell of a song.
>>
>>3053763
Are you seriously such an up-the-butt millenial that you think that the only reason people would play /vr/ games is because of their originality at the time, and otherwise they would be on /v/?

People play these games because they're good and fun to play, not because they were original at the time.

I'm sitting here, wondering how someone could seriously be so stupid and miss the entire point and reason of what they're supposedly spending some time doing.

Please stop your style of post "This is no argument", it's not clever, and fuck off back to /v/ retard.
>>
>>3053841
>blablabla
>he thinks dkc is a good game
>>
>>3049606
It's garbage. People are just being ironic.
>>
>>3053763
that's fucking stupid

you're fucking stupid
>>
>>3049654

Wew nice a review by a typical /v/ shitposter this might be an interesting read.
>>
>>3054021
>meme meme meme
>he has nothing to post
>>
>>3054794
Cunty Kong.
>>
>>3054843
Mario is original. DKC isn't. There is nothing to argue about. Keep riding your illusion like a dick.
>>
I like the art style and simplicity. I hate that "collect 50 dots in order to beat the level" shit. Just let me go from left to right and focus on reflex skills like Mario.
>>
AHH this whole thread reminds me of 8th grade discussions during break, all these concepts of 'convince' someone to agree with your preference, 'wining' an argument, 'convert'

is it official now?

/v/ fags mutually conditioned each other to post so much crap that when they want to start any thread where they expect replies with more than 5 words they come here?
>>
>>3049606
>that combo jumping attack
>the cool ride-animals
>that combo rolling attack
>the 3D graphics on a 2D console it's still 2D, just with enough detail to fool the uninformed
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.