[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What fraction of the Sega CD library was FMV trash?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: 91_Sega_CD_Gen2-175.jpg (4KB, 175x95px) Image search: [Google]
91_Sega_CD_Gen2-175.jpg
4KB, 175x95px
SegaCD has ~150 games.

How many of these are "buttonal films" as opposed to real games?
>>
Here you go scooter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_CD_games
>>
It was mostly just one company making the majority of them. I'd wager there's around 20ish including the anime fmv games as well. Might be more if you include the leaked isos/aftermarket releases.

The Sega CDs real problems were the lack of arcade games and Japanese support.
>>
FMV isn't trash by definition, you can make a good game out of it. D, Myst, and that X Files game come to mind.

Is only Dragon's Lair clones that get old pretty fast.
>>
>>3049680
Are you saying that less than 1/5 of SegaCD games are buttonal films?
That the idea the SegaCD is a FMV machine is nothing more than a meme?
That AVGN lied to me?
>>
>>3050467
It wasn't a FMV machine but it was marketed as such back them.
>>
Its not so much it was an FMV machine its just that the video quality was so bad and the games were so unresponsive it did them poorly
>>
>>3050467
AVGN is the reason why people think it's shit when it's actually a pretty decent addon. Considering it has about the same amount of games as the Wii U it's a great addon.
>>
>>3050515
I heard the the videos encoded on SegaCD were higher quality than what you see on the TV but the SegaCD processor wasn't strong enough to handle decoding it as is. That's why SegaCD FMV is small window, 15fps, grainy shite.

Since the PC Engine CD attachment uses an even weaker processor than the SegaCD, does this mean the PCE CD is blessedly free of FMV trash?

What about the Jaguar CD attachment? Did it have a large proportion of FMV trash?

Did the N64 DD have buttonal films on it as well?
>>
>>3050467
>buttonal films
Is this some AVGN term? I've never heard it before now. Anyways the Sega CD does have some pretty shitty FMV games, though a couple like Sewer Shark is cheesy and easy enough to be sort of worth playing for comedy value.

Overall though I think paying attention to bad games on a system is pointless. All that matters in the end is great games, and Sega CD had a fair share of them. Play the good, ignore the bad.
>>
Philips CD-i was another system in the 4th gen.
How does the FMV quality of the SegaCD compare to that of the Philips CD-i?

Is it true that the NEC PC-FX has even better FMV than the Playstation?

What about the Apple Pippin? How strong was its FMV and how prevalent was FMV in its library?
>>
>>3050629
The term, like visual novel, refers to a type of non-game people often "play" on game systems.
>>
>>3050614
N64DD had no FMVs.
The magnetic discs never had a big storing capasity (only 64 mb, the size of the largest cartridge), but they were cheaper, and most devs never used the larger N64 cartridges due to cost.
>>
>>3050656
Got examples from the Sega CD library?
>>
>>3050664
Yes.
>>
>>3050525
No Sega focusing their marketing solely on FMV shit is what made people think it sucked. Stop blaming everything on e-celebs.
>>
>>3050670
So... that's actually a no? Honestly trying to figure out what he means by that term. Is Sewer Shark a buttonal game? Or does he only mean Night Trap and the like?
>>
File: hol up.png (84KB, 299x288px) Image search: [Google]
hol up.png
84KB, 299x288px
>tfw AVGN completely trashed the reputation of sega-CD
>tfw sega-CD and the games still cost like motherfucker

Not that sega cd was anything mindblowing to begin with, it was just the early days of CD gaming so the flavor of the time was kinda experimental. Just having voice acting was fucking groundbreaking back then, let alone full motion video, so of course Sega thought they were being clever for hanging on those and using them as the marketing spearhead.
Just like they did with network capability with the Dreamcast.

What they should had done was to market the CD quality soundtrack, bigger capacity for the games, voice acting, and the smoother gameplay.
>>
File: flink.png (47KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
flink.png
47KB, 320x224px
>>3050697
I feel a little bad for kids these days who just watch youtube videos and would pass up on some of the amazing games the system had because they heard it also had some shitty FMV ones.

Sega CD was an amazing era.
>>
File: 1437801991077.jpg (117KB, 435x750px) Image search: [Google]
1437801991077.jpg
117KB, 435x750px
>>3050717
I feel worried about this upcoming generation if they're so god damn lazy they can't even be bothered to actually play a video game.

Or maybe I'm finally reaching that point in life where I don't understand what the kids are into and it scares me just like the people who used to give me shit for playing video games when I was a kid.
>>
>>3050749

Nah man. I did a night class and was talking to some 19 year old kids and they were saying "X game is so shitty, so-and-so Lets Play of it was hilarious".

I mean it's no wonder companies go under. A shitload of teir potential customer base just watches the entire game on youtube or twitch and never buys it.

The thing is a lot of youtubers and twitch streamers have incredibly shit taste. If I listened to any of them I'd be playing shitty games like Dear Esther and Heavy Rain.

The thing about the Sega-CD that especially sucks is it has a pretty high barrier to entry. You need the CD unit, which is getting pricey, and most of the games that aren't complete shovelware are prohibitively expensive like Popful Mail. I need to get a CD burner again. Sega-CD doesn't need a modchip right? I have a CDX but I don't own any CD games myself, I just borrow from a friend every so often
>>
>>3050749
Probably the second part. Things change, it's just how it goes.
>>
>>3050757
SegaCD has no copy protection but it is region locked.
EverdriveMD removes the region lock but costs money.
I wonder if there is a way to flash the BIOS from a burned CD?

I also wonder why the fuck youths today would rather watch a shrieking freak like Piediepie play a game instead of diving into a game themselves and making their own judgement.

It seems like normie brains are wired such that they prefer the social spectacle of E-Celeb drama over the experience and challenge of beating a game first hand.
>>
>>3050787
Flashcarts are going to be my next purchases for sure.

>Why not play the game themselves

I dunno, but its definitely "easier". You have to keep in mind your average "gamer" is the kind of guy who buys something like Dark Souls, plays it until the Taurus Demon, then gives up and watches someone else beat the rest of the game then talks about it like they've played the game for 300 hours.

I dunno man, if you're playing something like Just Cause 3 it's just not the same playing vs. watching. It's way more fun to get good and pull off crazy shit. Same thing with something like beating a roguelike, or other notoriously hard game, watching someone is easier.
>>
>>3050787
>I also wonder why the fuck youths today would rather watch a shrieking freak like Piediepie play a game instead of diving into a game themselves and making their own judgement.

My theory is that the number of people really interested in truly mastering video games have always been a very small percentage of the population. But in the hopes of getting more people into video games and selling more copies, they're designed to appeal to a wider and wider audience. The way you do that is by making them simple and not-challenging.
>>
>>3050803
Yep, see how many people complained about lack of single player modes in SFV.
>>
>>3050787
>I wonder if there is a way to flash the BIOS from a burned CD?
No. But you can give scdconv a try.
>>
>>3050812
That's not really fair to compare. I still play singleplayer modes in Alpha 2 because none of my friends are into fighting games. It's easy to look at online mode as an alternative now but ten or twenty years down the line those servers will more than likely be dead and as you get older it's harder to get people to meet up for a match with you.
>>
>>3050824
Have you seriously got not a single friend who is into videogames? How fucking hard is that?
>>
>>3050826
No I just don't have any friends into fighting games aside from Mortal Kombat.
>>
File: Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
>>3050812
Fighters are a different case, they are one of the few genres that still attract hardcore players. There will always be complainers, but for the overwhelming majority of people playing them the VS mode is where the real game is. Capcom would have been foolish to sink a lot of resources into single player modes for it.

> It's easy to look at online mode as an alternative now but ten or twenty years down the line those servers will more than likely be dead and as you get older it's harder to get people to meet up for a match with you.

People will always set up their own servers for good games if the current ones go down. There are tons of people still playing older versions of SF and MK online over GGPO.
>>
>>3050843
>People will always set up their own servers for good games if the current ones go down.

Chromehounds begs to differ.
>>
>>3050843

A "traditional" single player is easy as heck to implement. You just literally go round robin and fight every other opponent in the game. Theres nothing complex about that.

SV5 was just straight up rushed out the door to get released before EVO so it could get hyped up there. That;s the only reason.

Fighting games need more built in tutorials. You can go on Capcom's official channel and see a lot of tutorials, but there needs to be something built in the game. Watching someone do something, is one thing, being told and then doing it yourself is completely another.
>>
File: MK Baraka.png (32KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
MK Baraka.png
32KB, 400x254px
>>3050861
Chromehounds is a pretty specific case and though it was a good game was never really huge.

>>3050867
Does SFV not even have a training mode? That would be a little lax on their part. I admit I really haven't paid any attention to it since I've never really liked SF that much.

But overall, player vs player really is where the meat of the game is. This is a little like the Quake 3 arena thread about it not having a single player campaign, like Tribes they're intrinsically multiplayer games so that's where the focus was put.

It's like that for training as well. Tutorials are good for teaching and practicing combos, but most of what you learn comes from playing people.

All that said I do really like the story modes NRS has been doing with their last few games, but they would still be great games even without them.
>>
>>3050614
>I heard the the videos encoded on SegaCD were higher quality than what you see on the TV but the SegaCD processor wasn't strong enough to handle decoding it as is. That's why SegaCD FMV is small window, 15fps, grainy shite.

Most Sega CD FMVs are uncompressed so the CPU is doing nothing beyond uploading data to the VDP (which by itself imposes limitations in size and framerate, but that is a different question altogether).

Later titles used Cinepak, which was an actual video compression format, and therefore allowed smaller video sizes -> better video quality.

You were still limited by 61 colours max, 150kbps bitrate (for video AND audio), and whatever was the max transfer rate to the VDP memory (this might not be an issue at movie framerates - you might be more limited by the sega cd drive speed, so much that you never cap the VDP bandwidth).
>>
I love fmvs. they are called cgi movies or prerendered sequences. fmv is an outdated anime turn
>>
>>3050614
There were a couple of games on PCE-CD/TurboCD that had FMV.

From what I know there's the two Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games (which were also on SCD), It Came From the Desert, and John Madden Duo CD Football.
>>
>>3050645
Not being a wanker with more money than sense in the mid 90s, I really don't care.
>>
>>3050614

>Since the PC Engine CD attachment uses an even weaker processor than the SegaCD, does this mean the PCE CD is blessedly free of FMV trash?

There's only a few games that use FMV and it's in a very small window.
>>
>>3050690
I think the real term is "QTEs" isn't it? Never heard of "buttonal films" either and I've watched all of AVGNs videos. It's not from him.
>>
File: 1457318506824.png (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457318506824.png
137KB, 500x500px
>>3049693
>FMV isn't trash by definition
This is true, but the Sega CD was treated as an FMV machine, which it wasn't actually good at, and the majority of the FMV games ported and made for the Sega CD were rubbish.

>>3050467
Unlike the 32X, the Sega CD actually has a bunch of pretty decent games (and no copy protection, hooray!). There's maybe five games worth getting for the 32X, and that's counting Doom, which you can play much better versions of on other consoles, or just on PC, while there's maybe 20-30 games at least worth playing on the Sega CD.

>>3050614
>What about the Jaguar CD attachment? Did it have a large proportion of FMV trash?
There's some, some really fucking bad ones, like the one based on the Highlander cartoon.

Also they're a goddamn bitch to get running. Because of poor construction, they often break when you try to run them, usually it's because the lid for the CD clamps down too tight and stops the motor from spinning, causing it to break (as well as shoddy wiring), meaning a lot of the Jaguar CD attachments you find will be broken.

If you want to play those games, it's really easier to emulate.
Unlike the Sega CD however, the Jaguar CD doesn't really have much of any good games to play.
>>
>>3051496
He could mean those, but there really weren't very many. Dragon's Lair and Time Gal were the big ones and there are a couple others but they're mostly arcade ports. Out of 200 some games, they're a drop in the bucket.

If they're talking about a large portion of the Sega CD library maybe he means any game with FMV in it like Mad Dog Mcree or Snatcher.
>>
>>3050787
it's probably like the Neo Geo MVS/AES/CD. If you want to upgrade the BIOS, you have to physically pull the BIOS EPROM out and put in the new BIOS EPROM in. doubt it's actually that simple on the Sega CD, soldering will probably be involved.
>>
>>3050861
chromehounds is permafucked due to >XBL
hopefully XBL server code gets reversed engineered and CH gets brought back to life
not likely ;_:
>>
>>3055445
Hey man we got Resident Evil Outbreak working to a certain extent. Anythings possible.
>>
>>3050467
I find myself generally agreeing with his AVGN character when its stuff I've experienced. His Super Pitfall review cracks me up til this day.

The Sega CD was pretty heavily marketed as a FMV machine, and thats all anybody I knew had for it.

Does anyone have that "blistering 15fps" advertisement.
>>
>>3055520

Yeah, I knew like one person that had a sega CD growing up and all they had on it were FMV games. They never even kept the damn thing hooked up because lolextrapowersupply, and they didn't have any non-shit games for it. Also, model 2 sega cd that made the thing way wide. for having around.
>>
>>3050645
>How does the FMV quality of the SegaCD compare to that of the Philips CD-i?
The CD-i had better FMV.

>Is it true that the NEC PC-FX has even better FMV than the Playstation?
No.

>What about the Apple Pippin? How strong was its FMV and how prevalent was FMV in its library?
It's basically a PowerPC, but it can only output 16-bit color, so it was worse than the PC-FX.
Most of it's, what--six, games had FMV.
>>
>>3050663
So the discs were just big floppies?
>>
>>3050861
SEGA servers tend to die fast if a game doesn't meet their ridiculous quotas. There's so many dead online PS2 games.
>>
>>3050920
>Those actors in Sewer Shark? Well, they were never real. They were all CGI!
Dammit, Spielberg!
>>
>>3055661
>be a dying mainstream brand.
>shit on your remaining hardcore fans.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.