[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which was the superior retro role-playing Mario game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: paper-mario-vs-smrpg.jpg (301KB, 700x576px) Image search: [Google]
paper-mario-vs-smrpg.jpg
301KB, 700x576px
Which was the superior retro role-playing Mario game?
>>
File: sonic.png (91KB, 486x555px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.png
91KB, 486x555px
>playing nintendo games
>>
File: bonk_bash.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
bonk_bash.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>3047569

>playing Sega games
>playing Sonic games

are you chris-chan?
>>
>/vr/ is better than /v/ they said
>>
File: Huh Huh.gif (3MB, 260x269px) Image search: [Google]
Huh Huh.gif
3MB, 260x269px
>>3047631
>/vr/ is better than /v/ they said
It's not. I believed that for a long time myself. I came here and tried several times to post meaningful and thoughtful comments about games. But I get more 'shitpost' replies to my work of text on /vr/ than I do on /v/. I've actually carried better conversations about retro gaming on /v/ than on /vr/.

Also, while 4chan is cool because you get anon's unfiltered opinion, too many anons cowardly hide being the anon mask so they can shitpost.

You can often get a good conversation about on websites like GameFaqs or Twitch. But yeah, I'm sure I'll get shitpost replies for this comment, too.
>>
>>3047631
>>3048291
i posted the sonic just to be funny but none of you faggots are even answering op's question

i never played either of them so idgaf, why did you come in the thread?
>>
>>3047564
RPG by far.
>>
>>3048295
>I posted the sonic just to be funny
>none of you faggots are even answering op's question
You just admitted you didn't answer OP's question, either. Why did you come into the thread?
>>
>>3048304
i posted exactly why i came to the thread. reading comprehension sure is hard.
>>
Both are very gay for gay boys.
>>
>>3048295
>to be funny

Anon, never try to live off comedy, you'd starve to death.
>>
>>3048314
thanks, i'll jot that in my list of gay ass reddit retorts
>>
>>3048295

Well your shitpost wasn't funny so you're no better than the people you replied to.

Also, this thread was never going to have any decent conversation to begin with, it's just a VS thread, OP's intention was this thread to be shitposting.
Your post just set the bar with very low-tier banter though.
>>
>>3048308
>I posted exactly why i came to the thread
Then read the other posts and it should be apparent why they came here.

This anon: >>3047631 came here to complain about /vr/ not being better than /v/.

This anon: >>3048291 came to confirm it and add valid points to the argument.

This anon: >>3048298 came here to answer OP's question.

See how easy that was to understand?
>>
>all the dumb faggot shit in this thread

jfc

I never really had the patience to get through SMRPG, but part of me feels like I've never given it a fair shake. I love the shit out of Paper Mario and TTYD though. Maybe I should give it another shot when I get some more free time and I'm not busy playing other stuff.
>>
>>3048291
>Twitch
>good conversations
My sides.

I'll take /vr/ over a flood of Kappa any day.
>>
I love them both, but RPG is the one I go back to more often so I'd say it's the better of the two.
>>
>>3047631
>>/vr/ is better than /v/

It used to be true but it lasted for a few months.

On topic, Paper Mario.
>>
>>3048375
Just had a deep conversation about the differences between Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 last night on Twitch. We went over the color palette, stage design, power-ups, music, gameplay, etc. Talked for a good 20-30 minutes. And there was no shit throwing, either.
>>
File: 1457373004177.png (30KB, 256x264px) Image search: [Google]
1457373004177.png
30KB, 256x264px
>>3047569
>>Playing games made for a furry console
>>
>>3047564
Super Mario RPG by far. There was at least some element of challenge in that game. Paper Mario was extremely easy.
>>
>>3048924

I think SMRPG was just shorter and sweeter. A lot of Paper Mario is just... really boring? You know navigating through things like Boosters tower are just a lot of fun. Mario RPG is also pretty light on exposition for the most part, so you're always moving forward to the next area and the linear nature probably lends well to it.

It's just one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>3047564
Trick question, the answer is not-retro
>>
>>3048448
did you guys blow each other afterwards?
>>
>>3048448
Translation: I found a like minded autist to talk about and accomplish nothing
>>
>>3048448

That sounded REALLY gay and I hope it never happened.
>>
>>3047564
The one made by Square. Paper Mario was actually supposed to be a sequel to SMRPG
>>
Mario and Luigi.
A decent balance of new and old characters, a battle system that requires paying attention and good timing, and a dedicated dev that doesn't alienate the fanbase too drastically.
>>
>>3048959
>>3049471
This and this.
>>
Paper Mario changed the way I look at games, so I'll go with that one.

Mario RPG was just a boring square RPG in a fun skin
>>
>>3047564
I never played Super Mario RPG but I 100%ed Paper Mario multiple times so I guess that one by default
>>
>>3049719
You should definitely play SMRPG. Some of the low points are lower as compared to the consistent quality of Paper Mario. I also think that a continuous world without a level select screen or overworld is a drastic improvement in every way. It's still very memorable and enjoyable though.

What's y'all's favorite section from RPG? Mine is Booster Tower.
>>
>>3048309
highly true
>>
i didn't play these until years after release. i think i'd prefer to play paper mario just because it looks better and the combat is actually better.

rpg combat is good but the "press button to do more damage" and defend mechanisms are a bit dated so its kind of hard to judge when to use them. eg. mario's punch animation doesn't move directly to enemy, just slightly near it.

mario rpg is really fun if you can get used to how dated it is
>>
>>3050981
>rpg combat is good but the "press button to do more damage" and defend mechanisms are a bit dated so its kind of hard to judge when to use them. eg. mario's punch animation doesn't move directly to enemy, just slightly near it.

Honestly, in the opposite's case, I had trouble with Paper Mario because of playing SMRPG before. In SMRPG you have to time the button presses slightly before the animation finishes; in Paper Mario, it's pretty much immediate on impact. It also didn't help that Paper Mario 1 ran at 30 frames per second and made the timing slightly more difficult than SMRPG, but after Paper Mario 2 was bumped up to 60fps it improved that aspect significantly.
>>
>>3048961
>>3048970
>>3048974
She was a chick. Try again, shithead.
>>
Paper Mario isn't even a good game, people like it because it is the only RPG on N64, same effect of Grandia on Saturn.
>>
>>3051012
>Paper Mario isn't even a good game
I wouldn't go that far. It's alright; it just fails in comparison to the RPGs on the PSone.
>>
>>3051012
>Grandia on Saturn
Saturn had a shitload more JRPG's than just Grandia. Also most people played the PSX port of Grandia you loon.
>>
I like Mario RPG more because it feels like a more proper RPG.
Paper Mario is...weird, not necessarily bad, but very different. I feel the battles are a bit dull because you're limited to 2 party members at a time, which is more like you getting 2 turns in a row really, because party members don't even have HP or stats beyond their skill set.
>>
>>3051109
>I feel the battles are a bit dull because you're limited to 2 party members at a time, which is more like you getting 2 turns in a row really, because party members don't even have HP or stats beyond their skill set.
This is what holds back Paper Mario for me.

The battle system really shined in the second Paper Mario game. The stylish moves, super guards, more varied action commands, audience system and fleshed out partners added so much to the combat and made it feel pretty dynamic.

I'd love for Nintendo to do a remake of Paper Mario 64 that added a post-game and used TTYD's battle system.
>>
>>3050993
totally believable
>>
>>3047564
Paper Mario wins because partners aren't totally useless outside of battles like SMRPG, the art style is millions of times better than that horrid shit Square came up with, badges add infinite replay value, and it doesn't have any edgy Square inserts like Exor, Smithy, Culex and Yaridovich.
>>
>>3051163
Nigga, Square's OC was the best thing about Mario RPG, the villains looked cool and imposing, like proper villains should be. Paper Mario sticks too close to the Mario formula, you can only get so far with goombas, koopas and boos. You're literally fighting your same party members but with different accessories. And Bowser as the big bad? again? Zzzzzz
>>
>>3051142
>totally believable
Only someone who has trouble meeting women would say something like that.
>>
>>3051197
Please. Everybody knows that there are no girls on the internet.
>>
>>3047631
It was, but for the past few months it's been absolute shit. Pointless meme threads being made, shitting on the Dreamcast, a lot more bait threads to start a flame war being made, e-celeb threads, etc.

This place for the past few months has been a retro /v/
>>
>>3051231
>Everybody knows that there are no girls on the internet.
You realize how stupid you sound right now?
>>
>>3051305
hahaha, very funny. You're merely pretending to be a gigantic newfag, you make me laugh.
>>
>>3049471
I don't know.Mario and Luigi is fun and all but I don't think it has enough substance to make it appealing to me.
Every time I play this game, it just feels like a bunch of mini games thrown together.
Even the battle system feels gimicky.
Its a pity though, cause I really REALLY wish I could enjoy it more meaningfully
>>
>>3051456
>Every time I play this game, it just feels like a bunch of mini games thrown together. Even the battle system feels gimicky.
I think Superstar Saga is okay but the sequels are extremely guilty of that.
Every special attack being a minute long mini game and the giant battles were just too much for me.

My problem with Superstar Saga is just that it's too easy even for a Mario RPG. Without any grinding or strategy you can kill most of the games bosses in two turns or less as long as you know how to use Chopper Bros, and there's never a reason not to since the only time the combat changes up is when a monster is weak to an element.
>>
>>3051197
>>3051305
>"i conversed with the 2016 tumblr version of the word 'girl' on the internet and we had a great time. you guys will never get laid."
k
>>
>>3051320
>>3051548
Virgin confirmed.
>>
>>3051806
>calls others virgins
>has a long discussion of the complexities of paper mario
>believes he was talking to a girl
cuckold confirmed.
>>
File: 1440813374064.png (284KB, 375x421px) Image search: [Google]
1440813374064.png
284KB, 375x421px
>>3052417
>Thinks there are no girls on the internet
>Can't get laid in real life
>Jealous because I chatted with a cute Twitch girl
>>
I prefer Paper Mario. SMRPG is fun, but isn't really that remarkable compared to any other Squaresoft RPG of the era. Paper Mario seems simpler on the surface due to it's aesthetic, but actually has much deeper gameplay.

I wanted to love Thousand Year Door too but none of the partners were as memorable as the first game's.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.