[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the original Yoshi sprite have orange arms? His arms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: yoshi.png (2KB, 213x230px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi.png
2KB, 213x230px
Why did the original Yoshi sprite have orange arms?

His arms aren't orange on the box art.
>>
File: image.jpg (5KB, 152x66px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5KB, 152x66px
>>
Probably the same reason why Sonic's arms weren't blue, or that Mario wears overalls. It makes them stand out at the tiny sprite size.
>>
>>3041778
In the dimension I live in yoshi has always had orange arms. Is this s'smore this Bernstein bears stuff
>>
>>3041778
YOSHI'S
ARMS
AREN'T
ORANGE
>>
Why is Ludwig's hair white?

It's blue on the concept art.
>>
>>3041778
I thought that was a saddle.
>>
>>3041778
It's his dick wrapped around the back of his head.
>>
>>3041778
They're stirrups
>>
>>3041798
DON'T CALL ANYONE

>>3041851
>>3041816
Untrue, they're green in Mario Maker. Someone just fucked up way back when. Either that, or they were supposed to be orange initially and it was too late to change it in game once they decided otherwise.
>>
>>3041870
>they're green in Mario Maker

That change happened way before in whichever Mario Advance game World was
>>
>>3041876
Beats me, never had that version. Regardless.
>>
>>3041778
faggot
>>
>>3041778
those are stirrups
>>
I thought that was a band that kept his saddle in place.
>>
Presumably to make them stand out more. Also one thing most people don't realize is that typically the sprites come first, the box art and such is done later.
>>
>>3041778
I thought i was the front of hia saddle
>>
>>3041816
>>3042305

I used to think it was a saddle, but that's their shell. They're like koopas.

I imagine they're softer and therefore easier to ride on.
>>
>>3041784
his arms aren't blue for the same reason his face and ears aren't, he is an african pygmy hedgehog
>>
it took me years to finally notice that mario was donkey punching him to get him to eat stuff
>>
>>3041778
Those are his arms? Oh god, how did i never notice that? My life ia a lie.
>>
>>3041851
That's what I always thought.
>>
shit i thought it was stirrups/his saddle
>>
File: YoshiBerrySMW.jpg (268KB, 1089x652px) Image search: [Google]
YoshiBerrySMW.jpg
268KB, 1089x652px
>>3042971
No, he's pointing at what he wants yoshi to eat.
>>
My guess is that the developers somehow concluded that they just look/show up better on a television screen, the same way that giving Link pink hair in ALTTP was visually the best decision they could possibly make.

Joke's on them; being colorblind, I never knew his arms were orange to begin with. I did wonder why Blue/Red/Yellow Yoshis kept their "green" arms, though.
>>
>>3041815

The blues on the NES color palette were very limited and would have looked terrible on the sprite.

Look at the blue guy. (No, I don't remember all their names by heart.) Imagine that color blue on Ludwig's head. It would look horrible.
>>
File: super-mario-world-ending.png (1MB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-world-ending.png
1MB, 3000x2400px
>>3042036
Clearly they're orange arms
>>
File: spye1c.png (1KB, 226x66px) Image search: [Google]
spye1c.png
1KB, 226x66px
>>3043696
Blue had the MOST variety of the NES palette. It's why Megaman is blue.
>>
>>3043619
fake, yoshi's arms are incorrect color
>>
File: ludwig.png (1KB, 110x101px) Image search: [Google]
ludwig.png
1KB, 110x101px
>>3041815
Same reason why Mario has black overalls and Peach had brown hair; limited number of colors per sprite. The Koopalings even used a layered sprite technique to give them more than four colors. They probably could've done a better job of it, though, since those extra colors seem to be spent on the wands and in some cases Koopalings don't even sport 6 different colors (each layer would have 3 colors and transparency).
>>
>>3041778
I figured that was just part of the harness holding the saddle onto him.
>>
>>3041815
>that scaling
>>
File: Image1.png (11KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
11KB, 960x640px
Yoshi's original sprite looks ridiculous with green arms.
>>
>>3042427
It originally was a saddle, but changed to a shell.
It even had a dip in it like a saddle, but that dip slowly became a bump.
>>
>>3046934
As someone who didn't grow up with a snes, the green arms look better to me.
>>
>>3041815

What I always wondered was why the Koopalings looked worse in Super Mario World. The game came out after SMB3 on superior hardware, but they look nothing like their original art or sprites.
>>
>>3041815
>wendy facing left on the first row
>ludwig facing left on the second row
>they're all facing left on the last row

Triggering my autism here
>>
File: 6color.gif (14KB, 1376x248px) Image search: [Google]
6color.gif
14KB, 1376x248px
>>3046986
Some look better (Larry, Iggy), some look worse (Ludwig, Morton). Wendy and Lemmy look starkly different from the rest of the Koopalings with their heavy black outlines and simpler shading.

I always found the sprite work of the early Mario games to be inconsistent at best and subpar at worst (at least until Yoshi's Island). Even as a kid, the Koopaling sprites in SMB3 looked awkward to me. I'd been spoiled by the vastly superior sprite work of third parties.
>>
>>3041815
>>3046908
>>3046994

sweet jesus
>>
>>3041783

Seeing this, I wonder why Sonic didn't have blue arms until now. I can understand why they were skin colored in 2D because of overlapping, but in 3D, you can see his arms just fine.
>>
>>3048768
Legacy. Why would (did) they change a feature that's been around since his debut?
>>
>>3048768
his arms aren't blue for the same reason his face and ears aren't, he is an african pygmy hedgehog
>>
>>3049214
>he is an african pygmy hedgehog

I wondered why I hated him so much. Fucking blue nigger...
>>
>>3049523
>>>/pol/

Back to your containment board retarded faggot.
>>
>>3041778
maybe's he's been fisting a jaundiced cow, who knows?
>>
>>3049194

Because it doesn't make sense anymore. That color disconnection at his shoulders looks weird, and was probably there because blue arms would look off in low-res 2D. So to give him blue arms is perfectly to me.

I feel the same about other things. For example, Crash Bandicoot was designed with a tail, but because of the low resolution on the PS1, they removed it because it would flicker when it took up less than 1 pixel on screen.

But later it didn't make sense, and he looks like a dumbass without a tail, so put it back on, fuck it.
>>
>>3052143
You've cited two classic characters who were modified repeatedly, leading to a fall from grace--then subjected to more changes in a vain attempt to revitalize them. That oughta tell you something.

Your argument doesn't hold water regardless--you have an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who can run at sonic speeds, who leads a cast of even more off-the-wall funny animals, but you draw the line at blue arms "not making sense?"
>>
>>3052143
Nah. Tails and Knuckles had arms the same color as the rest of them and it read just fine. Sonic's color scheme just looks better, and he's more hedgehoggy with flesh colored arms.
>>
>>3043653
>the same way that giving Link pink hair in ALTTP was visually the best decision they could possibly make.
Fuck off with this meme
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.