[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a flaw.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9

File: Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png (74KB, 256x188px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png
74KB, 256x188px
Name a flaw.
>>
>>3029452
Boring level design compared to SMB3. The levels had a lot of empty space, and few platforming challenges.
>>
Spin jump breaks 90% of the enemies in-game.
Can only save after beating a castle.
>>
>>3029461

You couldn't save AT ALL in SMB3.
>>
>>3029463
still a better game
>>
File: 1431726711693.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1431726711693.png
5KB, 256x224px
>>3029452

- All the power-up suits from SMB3 are gone
- The stage designs don't have SMB3's varied and colorful themes

Those were the only nitpicks I had. I nonetheless enjoyed the game, and it was a lot more expansive than SMB3. I still prefer SMB3 though.

Actually, I think Yoshi's Island is the best game in the series.
>>
File: Super Mario World.jpg (257KB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario World.jpg
257KB, 1280x1706px
Super Mario World has some slow auto-scrolling stages. Those were boring as fuck. For the most part, SMW is mechanically perfect. But some stages are dull, and the overall game is kinda lame. It's just not very exciting.

It's hard to state an actual flaw the game has without getting into "opinion" status. But there's a reason the game never ranks among the top 10 best games when journalists come together to make such lists.

There's a lot of games you could probably list as being mechanically perfect, but it takes more than that to be the best of the best.

I really like Super Mario World. But Super Mario Bros. 3 entertains me the most. Majority agrees.

But rather than making a thread asking people to point out flaws within Super Mario World, why not make a thread asking others to point out the things they "like" in Super Mario World?

And for the record, Yoshi's Island and Diddy's Kong Quest keep me entertained more than Mario World.
>>
>>3029463
So? What does anon's post about saving issues in Super Mario World have to do with not being able to save in Super Mario Bros. 3?
>>
File: smwP.png (634KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
smwP.png
634KB, 1600x1200px
>>3029461

You can save in ghost houses
>>
>>3029501
>point out things you like in Super Mario World

I love the general aesthetic the game has, between the art and music. It's so bright and upbeat and happy.
>>
Too short
Too easy
Dumbing down power up variety instead of greatly improving and expanding from SMB3
Levels all look the same

Still fun, but it seems like a big step back than a bigger and better sequel.
>>
>>3029453
Got it in one

Every level in SMB3 was based around one clever idea

SMW is just a lot of hot air, although still a great game

Also the original is still the best, call it nostalgia and I will track you down and fight you
>>
>>3029452
The game is too short ans Luigi is a lazy Mario recolor.
>>
>>3029452

The Forest of Illusion is tedious.
>>
>>3029452
>Name a flaw.

PROTIP: We can.
>>
>>3029926
>Luigi is a lazy Mario recolor.

just as in SMB1 and SMB3.
Also, the bundle version of All-Stars with SMW has a different sprite for Luigi.
>>
Once you beat the star road levels your game will look retarded and there is no way to turn it off.
>>
>>3030093
This. Best answer to "name a flaw Super Mario World edition" I've heard yet. I raged when it happened. Eight-year-old me was devastated.
>>
>>3030093
>will look awesome
fixed

>>3029501
>point out the things they "like"
The physics and engine in general. I don't have a Wii U but I imagine having SMW gameplay on new levels is a big part of the appeal of Mario Maker.

>>3029453
A thousand times this. Plus the cape. I feel like there a missed opportunity with the cape where by having more levels with a ceiling or pipes hanging from above and things like that they could have made fun and challenging cape levels. Like, remove the P-Balloon from the game and have something like tubular be a cape level for example.
>>
>>3029452
It's not Yoshi's Island
>>
>>3030185
>I imagine having SMW gameplay on new levels is a big part of the appeal of Mario Maker.

Imagine is all you can do. The game uses NSMB physics regardless of theme and aside from the cape, the SMW theme is just a visual/audio skin.
>>
>>3030270

Really? You can't throw shells up on Mario Maker using SMW skin?
I remember seeing videos where they used the spin jump which I think wans't on NSMB games, so I think you might be wrong on that.
>>
>>3030608
There are some SMW-specific mechanics, yes, but it's far from being "SMW style." The running, the jumping, even the flying... it's all off compared to SMW.
>>
>>3030093
Yeah, now as an adult, I never max out the levels.

The "reward" (new colour palette and enemy sprites) is just plain fucking ugly.
>>
I saw SMW for $40 at a pawn shop and thought it was hilarious. Are people actually paying those prices? Only a decade ago at the same store they'd have 5+ copies going for 4 bucks.
>>
no way to see which exits are left to beat if youre trying to get all 96
>>
>>3029452
Does kaizo count?
>>
>>3029452

This shit post, for one.
>>
>>3030796
Same thing for Dragon Coins, although that was fixed for the gba release.
>>
>>3030796
What? Secret exits are red dots on the overworld
>>
>>3030837
That shows two exits, not which one is beaten faggot.

Some of the levels and some of the music are cool, that's it. If it wasn't a Mario game it would be treated as a "good SNES platformer".
>>
>>3030796
Given that they generally don't let you progress until you've cleared at least one, that's pretty well covered. Yellow stage= if you can move on, you've cleared it. Red stage = if you have two branches from that level, you've cleared both.
>>
1. When you finish the Switch Palaces, it's hard t remember which stages now have colored blocks.

2. Environments less varied than in SMB3.
>>
>>3030834
pretty sure the snes version doesn't even keep track of which levels you completed with all dragon coins, they just give u a 1 up.
>>
>>3030890
not necessarily, like in the secret star levels, if you beat the level normally nothing happens, if you beat the level through the "secret" exit, you move on, so one could easily forget to clear a level normally
>>
>>3030896
>Can only save after beating a castle
>no way to see which exits are left to beat
>the snes version doesn't even keep track of which levels you completed with all dragon coins
> it's hard t remember which stages now have colored blocks

>I NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY REWARDED AND USHERED TOWARD EVERY SINGLE ARBITRARY GOAL

Kids today... probably the same ones that complain about modern-day "collectathons." Here's how we kept track: PEN/PAPER, MEMORY, OR DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT
>>
>>3029645
and switch palaces. and after the sunken ship. and after the last level of star road. and after every other level in the special zone.
>>
>>3030904
>Kids today
I played it when it came out. I don't think any one is saying these were major flaws or anything, because the game has no major flaws, just little things like this.
>>
>>3029831
>Dumbing down power up variety instead of greatly improving and expanding from SMB3
I think this really hits the nail on the head. To me its probably the main flaw.
I played SMW before SMB3, and when I got to SMB3 I was fascinated at the suit power ups, and thought it was sad they didn't keep this in SMW.
>>
>>3030904

This.

It's also kind of funny the same people that complain about minor stuff like that defend SMB3 that
1.doesn't let you save
2. doesn't let you replay levels, let alone go back to previous worlds

I love both games, but sometimes the criticism for World gets ridiculous.
>>
>>3030049
GIT GUD
>>
>>3030920
>sometimes the criticism for World gets ridiculous.
any serious criticism for World is ridiculous... masterpiece of game, gameplay-wise as well as graphical and sound design
>>
>>3030904
>Kids today...
>Everyone I disagree with is a kid
You can do it manually but the game would be better if it did all that stuff. Donkey Kong Country for example put an exclamation next to a level name if you found all the bonuses. It would be better if you could save anywhere too. Why do you think it's a perfect game with no flaws?

>>3030920
>sometimes the criticism for World gets ridiculous.
It's a thread about criticizing SMW, and since the game is generally good without major flaws it's obviously gonna have a lot of nitpicking. If you don't wanna see that, why come to this thread?
>>
>>3030904
True, also all of those things were irrelevant, the only thing that matters is finding all 96 exits, and you can pretty easily tell if you've found both exits in the red levels.
>>
>completing the game is getting 96 exits
>96
>not 100
>also nothing happens when you reach all 96 exits
the autismo in me doesn't like this REEEEEEEEE

jokes aside, it's a great game.
>>
File: 1455619673112.gif (550KB, 728x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455619673112.gif
550KB, 728x720px
>>3030935
You get a star.
>>
>>3030916
I have no nostalgia for this game and I still never saw these "flaws" when I first played
>>
>>3030940
Wasn't that only in the GBA version?
>>
>>3030946
nope, snes as well
>>
>>3030928
>Why do you think it's a perfect game with no flaws?
>Everyone I disagree with must believe it's flawless
>>
>>3030951
Only certain versions, though. Most US builds, I believe, then removed in SMAS+World.
>>
>>3030951
oh wow now I'm really motivated to finish it for the gazillionth time! Not even trolling.
>>
>>3030957
>>3030951
PAL version apparently has the number turn blue. Gay, I want the star!
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_World
>>
>>3029452
Can't aim yoshi tongue upward, also cape mechanics are doofy while fire is rendered useless by yoshi
>>
>>3029452
>get hit
>go back to small mario even though SMB3 established that you should go from power up to super mario to small mario
>b-but there's the saved item slot
>saved item automatically falls down when you get hit, even if it does so at an inopportune moment

Also, I find the ghost house stages annoying. Just not my cup of tea to do some random trial and error bullshit hitting p-blocks and running around to different areas of a level to look for the blue door.

Overall my favorite mario game though, even though I grew up with an NES and SMB3 instead. These are just nitpicks
>>
>>3030989
The two hit thing in Mario 3 was to make the game easier for the non-japanese. It's power -> small in the japanese version.
Apparently they thought better of us when the snes came out.
>>
Kinda related but not really, How much can I sell Super Mario World 2 for? I just inherited a copy, and don't have an snes (I already played the GBA version a long time ago, fantastic game).
>>
>>3031002
>"Hi, /vr/! I'm reseller scum."

Fuck off
>>
>>3031006
I'm not a reseller, I will sell it for below what resellers sell it for if it means selling it faster, but also don't want to make it worthwile for resellers to buy it. Its legit the only SNES game I own, and I have NEVER owned an SNES. I'd rather someone else enjoy this fantastic game than it sit on my shelf.
>>
>>3031006
>reseller fag
I hope you die
>>
>>3031002
Eat shit and die, subhuman trash
>>
>>3031043
How is selling a game a bad thing? I mean so long as he offers a fair price whats the problem?
>>
>>3031009
$15 is a good bro price.
>>
>>3031051
thanks, sounds about right.

>>3031048
I know, its this autistic shitlords that are the actual subhumans

>>3031043
I don't own a SNES get that through your head. I never owned one, probably never will. I have literally never sold any of my games before, but fortunately I have never owned a game for a console I didn't own before either.
>>
>>3030893
It kinda does. Collect all of them and they won't reappear I'd you re-enter the level. Unless you reset the game.

There's one level that only has 4 dragon coins tho. Can't remember which.
>>
Yoshi, the cape, replaying levels lets you farm for lives and power-ups, the item box at the top of the screen rewards you for playing badly.
>>
>>3031642
>Yoshi, the cape, replaying levels lets you farm for lives and power-ups, the item box at the top of the screen rewards you for playing badly.
What the fuck. None of those things you mentioned are even remotely close to being a flaw.
>>
Super Mario World is one of the best games ever made. Even if it has a flaw, it still beats the fuck out of most Super NES games.
>>
>>3030093
the solution is to start a new game you lazy fuck.
>>
>>3030989
The GBA version fixes that.
>>
>>3033137

And in turn has washed out colors, cropped resolution, and mario voices (it's a con to me, maybe some people enjoy that, I prefer my Mario silent)
>>
>>3033139
>HOOHOO JUST WHAT I NEEDED
>>
>>3033139
I'd love to see games like Super Mario World releases with a bunch of "dip switches" than can toggle on and off the various features of its various releases (with dip switch "bundles" to easily set it to a specific build). Imagine a Super Mario World with all the graphics and sound and dimensions of the original, the Luigi of SMAS+SMW (or SMA2, your choice), the extras of SMA2 (voices turned off)...
>>
>>3030989
>SMB3 established that you should go from power up to super mario to small mario
That's only in the NA version to accomodate retarded Americans such as yourself.
>>
>>3031920
They are all flaws.

Yoshi is a penalty-free hit that you can jump right back on. He makes Mario's platforming mechanics completely trivial.

The cape does as well since it's completely broken and allows you to fly over 95% of the levels with impunity. Sure, the P-Wing let you fly over levels in SMB3, but at least if you got hit you couldn't get it back and it didn't last for multiple levels.

Being able to replay levels means that there's never any risk. Lose a power up or life? You can just go back to a previous level, get the power-up or amount of lives you want, press start and select, and go back to the level as if nothing had ever happened.

The item box at the top of the screen means that if you get hit, you no longer need to know level layouts or have to search for another power-up, since one will float right down to you. It's yet another way the game coddles and babies you since it's afraid of ever giving you a challenge. For fuck's sake, the only level in the entire game that puts up a fight is Tubular and that's because you can't pussy out of it with the cape.
>>
File: 1453675764107.jpg (410KB, 1600x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1453675764107.jpg
410KB, 1600x1500px
>>3033824

You....you are aware that you aren't being forced to skip levels with the cape right?

You can just use its spin attack and play the levels normally.
>>
>>3033854
A thought just dawned on me.

People like him HATE the idea of the cape giving you the ability to skip levels NOT because he isnforced to do it, but because it takes the meaning out of "beating the game" since "babies" can use easier methods to play.

He and others like him are upset that nerdcred for beating a game is being taken away from him, since everyone knows SMW can be pretty easy.
>>
>>3033854
Not being forced to use the cape in a way the game encourages you to (the very first level you get the cape has an area full of coins where you're told how to fly and encouraged to do so) doesn't magically make the cape not broken.

A flaw is a flaw. Super Mario World allows you to do it, frequently. What's worse is that the skies of levels in World are so barren that there's no reason you should be able to fly in the first place.

I forgot to mention that the spin jump is another thing that makes platforming trivial, since it makes normally dangerous enemies nonthreatening.
>>
Pride.
>>
>>3033657
Actually, that change was made for all overseas ports, not just NA. IIRC, that change was retained for all subsequent retreads, including Japanese versions. I'm sure you're really tough and cool though
>>
Tubular
>>
>>3029453
Mario 3 got stupidly, anally difficult in the last 2 worlds. It was a chore at this point.
>>
>>3029831
>Dumbing down power up variety instead of greatly improving and expanding from SMB3
>>3030917

If they'd elaborated from 3's system then it would have been too much farting about with suits. Then it would probably have become a slippery slope like MK's Animalities, Friendships and all that novelty crap.
>>
>>3034579

How bad can you be at platformers?

Not saying it's 2ez, but it isn't "supitdly, anally" difficult either.

Just git gud bro.
>>
>>3034585
I'm pretty gud at SMW but Mario 3 was more annoying towards the end, than fun. I just felt less inclination to carry on playing. The lack of save might have been a factor (back in the days before All Stars).

It's not so bad in All Stars but I still find it a pain in the arse only being able to save to the beginning of a world.
>>
>>3029452
save game makes extra lives obsolete.
Granted it's kinda long to play through in one sitting, but you don't need 1-ups when you've got infinite continues and saves. They could've added and extra power up instead of 1-ups.
>>
>>3036264
Right, if only they had just omitted extra lives, that would have freed up just enough space to implement an entirely new mechanic. That's how it works.

If one-ups make no appreciable difference, they're not really flaws, then, are they?
>>
>>3033857
>nerdcred

spotted the pretender.

Thanks for ruining our hobby you fucks.
We got into games because ppl like you thought you were too cool for us. Our games were lame then too.

Now it's cool so now you play and think being a nerd is a fashion statement. FTFY

Nerdcred is a thing you'll never understand.
You're not a gamer just because you play games.

gtfo
>>
2d platforming sucks shit. You hold right and jump. Oohhh compelling gameplay.

I'll take Super Mario 64 over this garbage any day.
>>
>>3036267
It's time the devs could've spent doing something else, even it's only a different type of cloud. The 1-ups are a flaw by being unnecessarily wasteful.
>>
>>3036274
>You hold right and jump
You can't seriously think that's all you do.
>>
>>3036276
A nitpick is not a flaw.
>>
>>3036274
I would play SM64 but I run forward and jump, turning in different directions needlessly. It's tedious
>>
>>3036278
>You can't seriously think that's all you do.
Of course not, I was using hyperbole to emphasize how boring and void of depth 2d platformers are. Clearly there are additional mechanics, but they don't even come close to the movement options and freedom that SM64 and other early 3d platformers give you.
>>
>>3036286
>2D platformers don't come close to the movement options and freedom of Super Mario 64
But with that comes more room for error. Example, the camera in Super Mario 64 is a pain in the ass. The camera in Super Mario World is perfect, because it's a set perspective.
>>
>>3036326
>the camera in Super Mario 64 is a pain in the ass
This is only true if you're retarded. For people who don't suck at games, it's extremely simple to use.
>>
File: Camera.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Camera.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
>>3036340
>the camera in Super Mario 64 is simple to use
Except it's not. I just replayed the game a couple weeks ago and got over 80 stars. There's parts inside the volcano were you cannot get the camera positioned correctly to jump from the poles you must climb. There's parts inside the pyramid that suffer similar problems. As well as other parts of the game, like when you have to press the R button to zoom all the way into Mario's body in order to grab the start on top of Big Boo's mansion.
>>
>>3036346
Sounds like you're bad at games and just struggle with basic shit.

https://youtu.be/To7e8yUYyNw?t=47s

https://youtu.be/7Y_GrTtQ4oA?t=16s
>>
>>3036346
lava poles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CTtxuISnw

how is this camera difficult or confusing? lmao
>>
>>3036356
Those are clips of speed runners doing fancy tricks to get all the stars. When you play normally, there are times when the camera is broken. If you played the game, you should know this. So you don't look like you're winning an argument; you only look ignorant to anyone who is reading this, and who has actually played Super Mario 64.
And I've gotten all 120 stars plenty of times, so no, I don't suck at the game.

Ask a speed runner if Super Mario 64 has camera issues, and see what they tell you.
>>
>>3036361
>Ask a speed runner if Super Mario 64 has camera issues, and see what they tell you.

I am a SM64 speedrunner and the problems you're citing with the camera are non-existent if you have any idea how the camera actually works. Not to mention the "tricks" I've posted aren't "fancy" and are among the easiest in the game that any half retarded casual could do.

>And I've gotten all 120 stars plenty of times, so no, I don't suck at the game.

Simply collecting all 120 stars is piss easy and literally anyone can do it. Yes you do suck at the game.
>>
>>3036371
>I am a SM64 speedrunner and the problems you're citing with the camera are non-existent
Liar. If you were a speed runner, you would know the camera has issues. You're a troll who refuses to be wrong, even when they have no argument to back up their claims. So you lie to prove your point, but only make yourself look even stupider to everyone who knows something about the game.

>Simply collecting all 120 stars is piss easy
It should be. But the camera adds cheap difficulty.
>>
>>3036376
>Liar. If you were a speed runner, you would know the camera has issues.
I do speedrun SM64. Since you don't believe my opinion about the camera, ask any other good SM64 speedrunner how they feel about it, you feloniously stupid prick.

www.reddit.com/r/speedrun
>>>/vg/133631245
>>
>>3036376
>everyone who knows something about the game.
Ask me anything about the game and I can answer it. Go ahead. What will it take to prove it to you?
>>
>>3036379
>you feloniously stupid prick
Angry and immature, I see.

You started the conversation really thinking the camera in Super Mario 64 is easy to use, because you don't play the game often. Then you realize someone brought up valid points against your argument, so you desperately searched for anything to make yourself look right. But the best you could find was speed running clips on Youtube that prove nothing.

So now you want to look right at all costs, and are getting upset about it. Just take the L. Take the loss. You win some, you lose some. It will make you look more mature.

What's funny is the next time you play Super Mario 64 and have problems with the camera. You'll remember what I said in this thread, and know you fucked up.

Anyways, I'm done with this. Have fun feeling like you won because you got the last word.
>>
>>3036395
>What's funny is the next time you play Super Mario 64 and have problems with the camera. You'll remember what I said in this thread, and know you fucked up.
I'm practicing right now and the camera is working fine. Would you like me to prove it? I can give you a tinychat url and show you my gameplay in realtime if you'd like. Scared?
>>
>>3036395
I like how you're so scared of being wrong that you won't even let me prove that I'm not lying and that I'm completely right.

Keep living in that world of denial, faggot.
>>
>>3029452
Can't. The game is perfect.
>>
File: 1450241014262.jpg (75KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1450241014262.jpg
75KB, 600x700px
>>3036371
>Simply collecting all 120 stars is piss easy and literally anyone can do it.

I can't.
>>
>>3038708
>I can't.
Because it's not easy. It's quite a challenge to get them all. How many stars have you gotten?
>>
The Beta exists on Emuparadise.me, correct? I'll look.
>>
>>3038779
It's not difficult at all, it's just tedious af
>>
File: 1361765303233.jpg (3KB, 238x195px) Image search: [Google]
1361765303233.jpg
3KB, 238x195px
>>3036379
>>linking to reddit

Dude how much do you need to show us anons how much you don't belong here?
>>
>>3029452
if it had more levels it would be perfect
>>
>>3029452
The battery dies
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.