[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just picked this up, did I fuck up? This was billed as a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Wipeout64.jpg (17KB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
Wipeout64.jpg
17KB, 250x190px
So I just picked this up, did I fuck up? This was billed as a nintendo exclusive wipeout, so I'm assuming none of the tracks made it into any other releases of the game?

Also /r/ing that wipeout guide graphic of all the versions, couldn't find it for the life of me.
>>
It's okish, The PS1 and Saturn games were better.
>>
Play the game and decide for yourself.
>>
It's okish, F-Zero X was better.
>>
>>3027393
I am, I just want to know if the tracks showed up in later games, I only paid $5 so I don't really give a shit if some later PS4 collection negates my purchase, but I am sorta trying to foster some conversation here. I get how you might not want that.
>>
>>3027375
>>3027485
One one of the N64 track is truly unique. The rest are mirrored and modified versions of tracks from Wipeout 1 and Wipeout XL/2097--I mean the shapes of the track itself, anyway, the scenery and detail is totally different.

I still think Wipeout 64 is underrated though. It plays awesome with analog control and I like the tweaked physics quite a bit. Cutting corners hard with Qirex has a "skimming" feeling that's different from the floatier, "digging in" feeling of airbraking in XL and 3.

Also, 64 is much more challenging. You have to be really on point to snag 1st place against the AI. Good luck with those perfect laps.
>>
It's okish, Extreme G was better.
>>
>>3027395
>>3027643
>I can't into airbrakes
>>
>>3027678
You don't need to airbrakes.
>>
>>3027678

Excuse me, what?

Also, I don't think "I can't into" is grammatically correct.
>>
>>3027682
You do in the later courses.
>>
>>3027375
Pretty alright. Hover Racing is way better though.
>>
It's okish, Crusin' USA was better.
>>
>>3027686
>doesn't can't into

here's your reply.
>>
It's nice. Though Beetle Adventure Racing is better.
>>
>>3027745
okay this I can't disagree with, I fucking loved BAR.
>>
It's ok, Snowboard Kids 2 is better
>>
Pretty good, but San Francisco Rush was more enjoyable
>>
I got this game. I'm terrible at it. I just run into shit. Can't tell what the pickups are by the icons. Ironically I was one of the best in Wipeout HD.
>>
>>3028691
Why would you disgrace yourself this openly? Wipeout HD bears no resemblance to the earlier titles in terms of physics. I could play 2097 any day in place of HD.
>>
>>3027375
I love it and rate it up the top with wip3out and xl. It has the best sense of speed on phantom and is fun to grind in time trials when you have good lines down. Very underated game
>>
>>3027375
It's okay, Toy Story 2 was better
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nh9nztM6g

DO YOU EVEN FAST
>>
File: flowchart.jpg (263KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
flowchart.jpg
263KB, 1000x1500px
>>3027375
I worked on a new chart but it isn't finished.

Basically 64 tracks are mirrored/redesigned WO1 and WOXL tracks. Much faster, tighter and feels less like piloting an aircraft to more slightly more like F-Zero. It's fun.
>>
>>3028856
The orignal wipeout at least needs it's godly ost recognized on that chart and where is 64?
>>
>>3028971
It's an old ass chart that was mostly about personal taste, I'm working on a new one that is more general. I'll finish it tomorrow.
>>
>>3027375
>Wipeout on anything but playstation
it just wouldn't feel right 2bh
>>
>>3030995
At least Resident Evil 2 was a good effort of a port and Wipeout 64 looks somewhat like a Wipeout game. You should see what the fuck happened to Ridge Racer on N64. That one triggers me.
>>
>>3030995
Why would you play Wipeout on a Sony console? Sony destroyed Psygnosis.
>>
>>3031212
>You should see what the fuck happened to Ridge Racer on N64. That one triggers me.
What's wrong with Ridge Racer 64? I thought it was a fairly unique game that wasn't much like the PS1 games. Was I wrong?
>>
After playing 2097 and 3 Special Edition should I bother with the first game?
Should I get it for the PS1 or Saturn? Is it PAL optimized on both?
>>
>>3031524
It's unique but it just seems so shitty. Maybe the driving is okay, but everything else from the overall production to the music feels so American D-list made. It feels bootlegged as fuck, like Ridge Racer Unbounded.

>Nintendo Software Technology (or NST) is an American video game developer located inside of Nintendo of America main headquarters, based in Redmond, Washington

Just looked it up now, holy shit it's like I actually called it.

Wipeout 64 on the other hand, feels like the production quality took a nose dive, but it still feels like Psygnosis.

>>3031527
You can appreciate Wipeout 1, especially the soundtrack, if you really wanted to, but the driving was definitely not even close to perfect. More specifically the collision physics are so fucked. If you want to experience the Wipeout 1 tracks, play Special Edition, Pure, or 2048.
>>
>>3031536
Right. I guess I'll pick it up if I find it for cheap.
>>
File: feisar ships over the years.png (761KB, 800x2170px) Image search: [Google]
feisar ships over the years.png
761KB, 800x2170px
Anti-grav thread?

Have a bump
>>
>>3033478
>watermark text
That game is so fucking ugly on so many levels. At least the soundtrack is serviceable at the minimum.
>>
>>3028856
Flow chart anon here.

So I'm writing a small blurb on why Fusion is bad and I want some second opinions. Anybody want to rip it apart with good reasons?
>>
>>3033928
+Damage modeling

-Unstable framerate
-Complete lack of floaty ship physics
-Some tracks are poorly designed for racing
-Grindy upgrade system
-Cartoony ship designs
-Okay soundtrack

But that's just my opinion.
>>
>>3028856
What was wrong with the PS2 version of Pulse? I never heard anything bad about it. To be honest I haven't heard of it at all.
>>
>>3027732
ULTRA 64!!!111
>>
>>3034981
it basically killed the series.
in the wipeout cannon i'm pretty sure fusion was the last FX antigrav tournament before everything went bust
then made a comeback years and years later in pure and pulse
>>
>>3033928

Add Wipeout 64.

It's basically Wipeout + Wipeout XL Remix. Worth playing for fans of the series.
>>
I hate how later Wipeout games remove all the grit from the tracks. The worlds are made of shiny plastic.

I love how grounded Wipeout game tracks looked. It was dirty, poor, in some areas.
>>
>>3035070
Does the grit slow you down like in F Zero? I always thought that was a bit strange, seeing as the cars float.
>>
>>3034946
Pretty much what I already have, but thanks for the reinforcement. I played some Fusion last night, beat the first league and had to stop, just because.

>>3034981
Copy and pasted from the new unfinished chart.

>PAL exclusive PS2 port with split–screen multiplayer, improved ship models and textures, but interlaced, 25 FPS, and squished HUD for 4:3. Original PSP version runs at 60 FPS progressive. Paid DLC exclusive to Europe for PSP, but fully included in the PS2 version. PSP version supports custom soundtrack up to 30 MP3 files.

Basically, the 2D graphics, whether it be menus or HUD, feels smeared and blurry because they took the PSP widescreen graphics and sort of smushed it for 4:3 without any care. Plus it's interlaced so not only is it even blurrier, but it's only half as smooth as the PSP version. And like it says, it's PAL exclusive so it's not a common find.

>>3035064
It's fully written up already.
>>
>>3034981
>What was wrong with the PS2 version of Pulse?
Multiplayer suffers from abysmal slowdown issues aside from things already mentioned. Its a shit port.
>>
>>3035145
Get your shit together, interlaced means 50/60 fps. 25/30 fps in interlaced format gives you progressive picture anyway. It's the point of interlacing.
>>
>>3036104
So it can't be both blurrier and less smooth because of interlacing. Pick one.
Btw it can't be blurrier anyway because PSP is 240p.
>>
>>3036104
If you care about best picture you could easily emulate either one.
>>
>>3036113
If youtube aren't lying PS2 version is indeed only 25 fps. But there's 16:9 mode so hud problem is not a problem.
>>
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but F-Zero X shits all over Wipeout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7hdQXoNmw
>>
File: image.jpg (256KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256KB, 1024x687px
>>3035145
>>3036038
>game from a handheld actually has a shittier version on a home console
Well now I've seen everything.
>>
>>3036104
Maybe I worded it badly. PSP is progressive, PS2 is interlaced. PSP is 60 fps, PS2 is capped to PAL 25 fps.

>>3036216
At the time, PSP games like Motorstorm Arctic Edge and Twisted Metal Head-On were back ported to PS2. Motorstorm is a spot on port except it has aspect ratio issues similar to Wipeout Pulse. Twisted Metal Head-On on the other hand was perfectly, 60 fps, and has bonus content from the cancelled follow up to Twisted Metal Black.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.