[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Garou so legendary among SNK fans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

Why is Garou so legendary among SNK fans?
>>
>>3026602
It's just an awesome game.
>>
>>3026716
Also, the new characters were mostly decent or better, and more importantly they actually seemed like they belonged in the series unlike half of the new characters in Street Fighter III.
>>
>>3026602
Because Garou is SNK's SF III 3rd Strike. Restarted the formula from Fatal Fury and the real bout series and created some new items to the fighting genre like the TOP and just defend. Also its very easy to play since the moves are set similar to a capcom fighter alot of quarter circles. Even with its new roster they have familiar movesets to older SNK fans will know about like Butt, Kims sons, Rock and Terry. Also the graphics are some of the best on the neo geo.
>>
File: Hokutomaru-garou.jpg (56KB, 550x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hokutomaru-garou.jpg
56KB, 550x750px
>>3026728
Nah, the transition from Real Bout to Cougar was the exact point when the series went full anime. None of those characters fit at all in Fatal Fury.
>>
Overrated. They removed everything that made Real Bout unique while downright plagiarizing the parries from SFIII.
>>
>>3026741
Yeah, totally overrated, despite having some of the best 2D animation ever. Clearly amateurish stuff not worth praise.
>>
>>3026602

Extremely well polished.
Smooth animations.
oozing atmosphere
Best SNK game.
>>
>>3026736
B. Jenet
Tizoc
Gato
Rock Howard
Kim brothers
bosses

All fit just fine. Kushnood Butt also fit, but he was just a dull character. Kevin Rian fit as well, but he SUCKED.

The only WTF characters were the two kids and the zombie.

So Butt was acceptable, but generic. Kevin was shit. And three characters were out of place, though not necessarily bad characters. That gives us four characters out of fourteen that could/should have been replaced. As opposed to 3rd Strike where it was like half the entire roster.
>>
>>3026731
It's closer to 2nd Impact.
>>
>>3026741
Parries were based on various advanced blocking techniques that SNK had been developing for years. Capcom was just the first to fully realize their potential.
>>
>>3027016
Samurai Shodown is probably more balanced. The original I mean. Maybe 2 as well.
>>
>>3026602
>Why is Garou so legendary among SNK fans?

It's the Street Fighter 3 equivalent of Fatal Fury, except that it's a better game. It's also by far the most balanced fighting game that exists.

It has everything done right, and it is very easy to pick up.

About the only problem the game has is slowdown at some parts, and the relatively small roster (but SF3 also had a shit roster, it wasn't until TS that it became okay - and Garou never got updates like that, though a Garou 2 was supposed to be under development when SNK went under).
>>
>>3027009
to each of their own but most people compare it 3rd strike but i can see where your coming from as well.
>>
I just wish they would put Garou on a system I have :/

Will it ever come to Steam?
>>
>>3027060
It was sold in the Humble Neo-Geo bundle.

In fact you can still buy it: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/neogeoclassiccompletecollection_storefront

Note that the included emulator isn't that great, but you can copy the garou.zip and neogeo.zip files out of the install and run with MAME or RetroArch.
>>
>>3027074
>or RetroArch.

I'd like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as an emulator, is in fact, Libretro/Retroarch, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Libretro plus Retroarch. Retroarch is not an emulator unto itself, but rather an audio/visual/input frontend of a fully functioning Libretro system made useful by the Libretro core API, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full suite of tools as defined by Squarepusher.
>>
>>3027004
>the zombie
Freeman was just a regular, boring psycho, he wasn't even as flamboyant as Yamazaki
>>
>>3027074
I saw that at the time, but I can never get MAME to work. I just can't figure it out, I don't know what's wrong. It seems like every version that comes out you have to download a new rom version too? Honestly I had it on my old computer working fine, downloaded a new one for my new computer, and now my games don't work, so who knows. I just wish they would have a full HD anthology remaster for PS4 or something of the full series.
>>
>>3026602
Poor man's 3rd Strike
>>
I REALLY want to fuck B. Jenet
>>
>>3027435
download neoragex?
>>
>>3027435
NeoRageX is my go-to emulator.
>>
I get the sense I offended people by questioning this.
>>
>>3027445
>Poor man's

Nothing poor about original Garou carts, anon.
>>
File: Grant.jpg (62KB, 630x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Grant.jpg
62KB, 630x1000px
>>3027004

don't forget MOTHER FUCKING GRANT!
>>
The game fucking oozes 'cool'. It has such a slick style to it. I still don't think any fighting game has matched it in terms of presentation. It has such a unique and consistent feel. The sprite work and animation still make my jaw drop today.

Beyond that, the game's just fucking fun. Perfect example of a "easy to pick up, difficult to master" game. The TOP system is unique and adds a bit of flavor and depth. The new characters are really cool, and they add quite a bit to the game.

The main reason I love the game, though, is how amazingly smooth the gameplay is. It's so fast and fluid. You can really get into a rhythm and let the unconscious part of your brain take over. Pulling off a perfect in Garou makes me feel like damn ninja.
>>
>>3026794
>best 2D animation ever.
Not really, Real Bout and AoF 3 still have miles ahead animation with sprites twice the size of the shitter in Garou. Seriously, they planned to make the sprites tiny so they could port it more easily to the KOF engine in advance.
>>
>>3027017
>Parries were based on various advanced blocking techniques that SNK had been developing for years

Name them.
>>
>>3026602
Anyway, unless you find a way to go back in time to summer 1999 you're wasting time anyway, fighting games are e-sports, you're not supposed to play them alone much less on a shitty cellphone.
>>
>>3028647
Grant is one of the bosses.
>>
>>3028726
>e-sports

leave
>>
Anyone else think this game has the best controls of any fighting game ever made?
>>
>>3028814
No. It's casualized for people who suck at memorizing command lists.
>>
File: grant-cover.gif (21KB, 106x136px) Image search: [Google]
grant-cover.gif
21KB, 106x136px
>>3028808

and is playable in the home version

also. He's MOTHER FUCKING GRANT
>>
>>3028917
He's also playable in the arcade version via a secret code.
>>
>>3028814
Maybe if multi-button inputs weren't finicky about pressing both buttons at the exact same time

It's strange since none of SNK's other fighters from that period have this problem
>>
>>3029530
Really? I never have trouble on an arcade pad.
>>
File: oh yes.jpg (11KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
oh yes.jpg
11KB, 210x240px
>>3027482
>mfw when YAHOO
>>
>>3028717
>I'm too lazy to look them up myself, so I'll pretend I'm right until you do it for me
The post.
>>
File: roster.jpg (263KB, 694x603px) Image search: [Google]
roster.jpg
263KB, 694x603px
Pretty forgettable roster though.
>>
>>3027004

SF has always been about fucking weirdos since it's popular rise with SFII
>>
>>3030060
That's always bound to happen when they have to design a bunch of chars at once. Does anyone remember fucking Oro or Necro from SFIII?
>>
>>3027060

Rumor has it that it's coming, done by the same dudes who did the KOF UM ports.

It should be serviceably fine at least when it does happen.
>>
>>3030149
>does anyone remember the only good russian fighting game character besides Dragunov from Tekken?
I do anon.
>>
Garou is on fightcade you stupid faggots, you could be playing it right now instead of waiting for "Muh Steam release"

Newfags born after '00 seriously, think Steam is the only thing video games have ever released on
>>
>>3030373
SNK fanboys never back up their shit. Hell JoJo has more players on fightcade.
>>
>>3030535
mostly kiddies attracted by the anime
lel so much for serious competitive community
>>
>>3030535

within minutes i was playing some matches
>>
>>3030373
>>3030535
For some reason threads die every time I mention something can be played on Fightcade.
>>
>>3030586
GEE I WONDER WHY
it's because no one wants to put up with tourneyfags from 4chan, you fucks are completely unbearable
>>
>>3030597
Except I never even suggest people play with me.
>>
>>3030597
>tourneyfags
So scrubs that don't mash?
>>
>>3030617
see, that shit right there
that's exactly what I'm talking about, this is why no one plays fighters anymore
>>
>>3030618
Except EVO is bigger than ever.

People are just easily put-off by competitive games that aren't team-based.
>>
>>3030361
>done by the same dudes who did the KOF UM ports.

Doesn't that mean that it'll be shit? Or were those good ports? I only remember the Metal Slug ports and those were junk.
>>
>>3030626
>Except EVO is bigger than ever.

and it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of people who actually buy games

>People are just easily put-off by competitive games that aren't team-based.

No people are put off because you're all a bunch of "GIT GUD" cunts.
>>
>>3030060
I really want to fuck Hotaru.
>>
>>3030849
>and it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of people who actually buy games
You can say that about 95% of all games. There are very few titles that sell like that. Only games like GTA have that near-universal appeal.
>>
>>3030640

Both ports were all right, but the netcode varied. 98UM was underwater as fuck while people say 2002UM was better in some aspects (i.e. playable).

>>3030373

Well, to be fair some people would like to own it a bit more legit I guess.

Also more often than not I'm playing Last Blade 2 on Fightcade when I get free time over Garou.
>>
>>3030849
>No people are put off because you're all a bunch of "GIT GUD" cunts.
That's literally every competitive game.
>>
>>3031015
>That's literally every competitive game.

yes and.
>>
>>3031021
>yes and.
And get over it. Every genre and game community has it's jerks as much as it has positive folk.
>>
>>3026741
>downright plagiarizing the parries from SFIII
Just Defend functions very differently from SFIII. The problem with JD is it's a fairly low risk setup that gains you back health.
>>
>>3031028
>Every genre and game community has it's jerks as much as it has positive folk.

and your jerks are the loudest and most vocal of them all.

You idiots will defend Capcom for releasing a half finished game if it means you get to COMPETE
>>
>>3031107
Everything is about perspective anon.
>>
>>3031107
Virtually no one is defending SFV.

And take your shit back to /v/. This is /vr/.
>>
File: 49179597_p9.jpg (275KB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
49179597_p9.jpg
275KB, 780x1000px
>>3029643
>>3027482
>>
File: last blade2777216.png (47KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
last blade2777216.png
47KB, 320x224px
>>3026602
It's really not. I find it's much more popular with Street Fighter fans. Most SNK fans are KoF players and although Garou was good, the roster is tiny and the inputs were over simplified. It's a solid Fatal Fury game, but it's no King of Fighters.

In terms of smaller SNK fighters, I think Last Blade 2 is better than Garou.
>>
While I like Garou for its fighting engine I do not enjoy it for the rest.
If only SNK could have combined Real Bout 2 with the Garou engine.

Much more interesting characters.

>I'm Rock, I'm emo omg the pain the torment muh dad ugh muh feelings better listen to J-pop and walk with my head down and hands in my pockets
>>
>>3031968
It does seem to be "the SNK fighter for Capcom fans".

And you're correct that SNK fans mostly just played KOF. Though I think you're underselling the game's popularity among SNK fans as well.
>>
>>3028839
>"controls are only quality if you have to do unnecessary motions"

That literally makes no sense. You're literally a faggot.
>>
>>3032250
Certainly I've never met an SNK fan who said they didn't like Garou. I just wouldn't say most of them would call it legendary exactly either.
>>
>>3031107
So you're calling the people who like a game loud vocal jerks. But you, who are bitching non-stop about fighter fans are what? A thoughtful and intelligent poster?
>>
>>3031968

I'm in the same boat as you are with that last sentence.

Last Blade 2 is fun as fuck and I find it better than Garou 9/10 of the time.

I wish I could do those tight-ass links in P-Mode at least. Washizuka's qcb+B, d.A loop is tough as fuck and let's not get started with Kagami's d.C (x3) into b.A shit because that's just fucked and I end up doing that to tick into his flaming choke throw instead.
>>
>>3031107
>and your jerks are the loudest and most vocal of them all

That is MOBA's
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.