[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is /vr/ excited for the kickstarter launch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 28

File: SNES jr.png (87KB, 270x267px) Image search: [Google]
SNES jr.png
87KB, 270x267px
is /vr/ excited for the kickstarter launch?
>>
who's gonna make games for that shit? is what i wanna know
>>
>>3024006
l m a o.

farthest thing from retro.

get that trash outta here
>>
>>3024006
OP, please. We know you're the only person who is shilling this shit. Stop trying, you won't convince anyone here with your stubborn foolishness.
>>
I just don't get it. Nobody is going to want to develop games for this thing when they can just go for digital distribution methods like Steam and reach a wider audience.
>>
What games does it play? SNES?
>>
>>3024071
The current version is basically a snes in a custom jaguar shell, so yeah...pretty much just that.
>>
>>3024091
Figured. These clones are always so expensive, too. I can get you a SNES with chords and controller for $15-20 any given week at the flea market.
>>
>>3024068
or if they want to develop for a retro console, they can do that for one with an already massive install base... see dreamcast homebrew, etc
>>
>>3024006
My dentist.
Not sure about his wife though.
>>
>>3024091
>not stuffing in an odroid and running cables to all the external ports
>with lakka frontend running
>>
My dog wants one

What a bitch...............
>>
>>3024006

I really don't get wasting money on the Coleco brand. Just call it the Chameleon, it's a nice name.
>>
>>3024095
Lol, it's not a "clone", it's literally a snes in a different case.
>>
Is there any way to make such an idea work? Does the concept of a 'retro console' have even a grain of potential?

I want to believe, I really do.
>>
>>3024006
>excited for the kickstarter launch
>>
>>3024095
They haven't got as far as making a clone yet, it's literally a SNES Mini board in a Jaguar shell.

But as soon as a kickstarter cash starts rolling in they've got big plans, big big plans! Honest!
>>
>>3024006
Even my wife hates it
>>
>>3024006
The new snes with special duct tape holdin in its guts. Oh hell yes I want 5.
>>
>>3024006
Stop Gamester8, you've made a big investment mistake and now you must live with it. You've lost so much already, what will the future hold?
>>
While it'll have 100% compatibility, I don't see this replacing my Super Retro Trio when it comes to being a SNES replacement. That thing is great for hanging out with friends.

Seriously though this is the Retro VGS, the project that had to leave Kickstarter because there was no prototype. All they had was 3D renders and cardboard PCBs. IDK how long it's gonna last on there now if al lthey have is a fancy case mod for a SNES Jr.
>>
Look at filename.
OP knows what's up.
>>
>>3024006

This better get every damn King of Fighters game on cartridge.
>>
>>3024104
I understand your references, Anon.
It's a nice day. Maybe we should go outside
>>
this obvious shill, man. You'll feel ashamed when someone make a image compilation of those threads using the archive, nobody wants this kind of shit nowadays because MUH RETRO AESTHETICS. Tell your boss to develop games for PC or new consoles instead creating this imminent trainwreck
>>
>>3024507
Wait, it's just an FPGAed SNES?
They could install Jaguar, it is 64-bot
>>
>>3024006
Are they going to change the name and shill it more?
>>
I'll buy one when they start getting clearance out just to say I have one.
>>
>>3025274
>implying they'll even get to production
>>
File: gcSmHEP.png (346KB, 495x490px) Image search: [Google]
gcSmHEP.png
346KB, 495x490px
>>
>>3025527
I like RetroUSB.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-16-13-49-25_1.jpg (118KB, 1078x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-16-13-49-25_1.jpg
118KB, 1078x1074px
>>3025527
>>
>>3024970
It's literally just a Super Nintendo in a Jaguar case.
>>
>>3024006
I'm just curious where this thing will go. It's kinda like watching a car crash. You can't help but look.

It's such a dumb fucking concept. If you want to release indie games, you can already do so on the PC. If you want to release indie games on a console, the dreamcast is already perfect for this task. If you absolutely 100% need to release indie games in cartridge format, you can just make games for whatever console system you want, like Piers Solar or the games NGDevTeam makes. But a new cart-based console serves no purpose that's not already attained in a more practical and flexible way already. It's like an ouya but with even less games that cost more because of carts.

You know what I'd do? I'd release a piece of hardware that connects to the GBA player and allows you to play those on a TV (either through HDMI or an analogue signal, at 240p or 480p) without the need for a gamecube or GBP startup disk.
>>
>>3025274
I feel like people will snatch these up just for the novelty of having some obscure piece of shit later on. Similar to people that own virtual boys or 3DOs
>>
>>3025701
That' wouldn't be possible; the chips used in the SNES aren't manufactured anymore.

They are running SNES games through a Verilog (maybe) module synthesized on the built-in FPGA. So it's at least different than a standard emulation console.

But since developers don't know jack shit about low-level hardware anymore, good luck getting anyone to use that rightly.
>>
>>3025731
>Similar to people that own virtual boys or 3DOs
Those at least have some sort of history behind them. And they actually exist. This never will.
>>
The jaguar shell has become more successful than the actual console.
>>
>>3025747
No, his point is that, at present, the only """""working Chameleon""""" was literally an SNES Mini PCB in the Jaguar/CC shell. Like, they opened a Mini, removed the PCB, and placed it inside their Coleco Chameleon branded she'll and called it a prototype console. Their final goal is different, yes, but right now what they showed at that toy fair was more or less a fraudulent item.
>>
File: 1454127729808.jpg (65KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1454127729808.jpg
65KB, 567x561px
>>3025747
>>
File: post-39941-0-04666700-1456541519.png (667KB, 736x1000px) Image search: [Google]
post-39941-0-04666700-1456541519.png
667KB, 736x1000px
>>
File: Leander_Amiga500.jpg (2MB, 2978x2580px) Image search: [Google]
Leander_Amiga500.jpg
2MB, 2978x2580px
Nah, I just want one of these remade again.
>>
>>3024353
So what the hell is this? Is it an emulator or actually will run new games?

It would be really cool if it was actually an open source/homebrew console which could allow gamers to make there own games or download other people's games and play them. Also could allow you to run mods on the console.
>>
>>3026113
The best part is that they are claiming he can't show the internals because "it's fragile" when they had no problems making translucent cases when people were accusing them of not having a prototype. This was before the Coleco deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJb22Buvbk
>>
>>3026353
There was an attempt to revive the Commodore brand. There were new C64 and Vic-esque PCs as well as replica PCs of the two. All Amiga got was the Amiga Mini, which was like a Mac Mini.
>>
>>3028409
It won't do any of those things because their whole shtick is that the games are cartridge based and there's no internet capability in the console. It's an ouya with an obsolete storage medium tacked on.
>>
File: 1453930901454.jpg (9KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1453930901454.jpg
9KB, 250x241px
>>3024006
>>
>>3028627
> mfw those Intel processor
> mfw that price
http://techreport.com/news/22676/core-i7-powered-amiga-mini-is-too-retro-for-its-own-good
> What folks need to understand is that the Commodore and Amiga names have been sold over and over. This isn't Commodore of the 1980s. This is just a bunch of idiots trying to make some money on nostalgia's busted, rotten corpse.
T-thanks for reminding me, derFunkenstein. I'm gonna just go with the dank, used 50 euro Amiga 600 from somebody's loft.
>>
>>3030708
I wonder how lax the holding company or whatever is with the Coleco name. The fact that the RetroVGS is using that name just makes it seedier, almost proving that they don't give a shit about their product beyond how much money they can milk out of collectors using nostalgia.
>>
>>3030708
They could of made a more proper Amiga since AmigaOS is still around. It would of been a PowerPC machine, but from what I can tell AmigaOS 4 has backwards compatibility.
>>
did this kickstarter even go live or did they pull out? I haven't heard anything about it since the hullaballoo a couple weeks ago about their sham of a toy fair prototype
>>
>>3024095
>I can get you a SNES with chords and controller for $15-20 any given week at the flea market.

I wish I knew that feel. I don't know if they get cleaned out by resellers or people just throw them out but I never see shit at garage sales / markets
>>
>>3031374
Its been delayed.
>>
>>3031396
Of course it has, I don't know why I expected otherwise.

What I don't get is why there aren't a bunch of gaming news outlets running stories about this around the clock. They looooooove clickbait and a good controversy like this is exactly what they feed off. Why am I only reading about this scam on forums and maybe a couple sites linking to atariage?
>>
Where exactly is the source for the "just an SNES in a Jaguar case" ?
>>
>>3031423
>>
>>
>>3024006
No it's a scam
>>
>>3031415

Because finding it would involve either being rather knowledgeable about the subject or looking into more off the beaten path gaming communities. Most mainstream gaming journalists probably aren't putting additional research into the thing beyond the superficial talking points and footage given out by the RetroVGS team. And, even if they did know, part of me doubts that the majority of mainstream gaming news site readers would understand or be willing to learn about how it was determined to be a fake. As soon as you got into "unique, Nintendo-style A/V connectors" and "a later version of the SNES, often known as the SNES Mini, uses the following PCB design" they'd probably have already clicked on something else. Beyond the novelty and general warm feeling towards the idea of it reviving game cartridges, I doubt most gamers outside of dedicated old game communities even give a shit about this thing one way or the other.

Granted, I guess if you are looking for clicks, "The Coleco Chameleon is a fraud through and through!" is a pretty darn appealing headline, though publishing those claims could be a bit risky, I guess, in terms of RetroVGS taking legal action.
>>
>>3024006
I have a battlestation and a CRT that does retro just fine.

I have a computer and a Dreamcast that does indie just fine.

This offers nothing, and I think the dev knows it and is desperately trying to make something happen cuz he has sunk money into both the license and the mold.
>>
>>3024104 we only that because of avgn
>>
>>3031394
>I don't know if they get cleaned out by resellers
They usually do. They usually troll craigslist, then show up early and try to cut a deal on the entire lot. That, or they try to contact the seller before the garage sale even starts.
>>
>>3024095
>I can get you a SNES with chords

Yo I need I an Augmented 7th SNES, triad preferred but will settle for dyad.
>>
>>3031423

https://youtu.be/deOe1y2arJk
>>
Not this shit again.
>>
File: Ccboe0rUcAEp03G.jpg (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ccboe0rUcAEp03G.jpg
73KB, 600x800px
IT JUST GETS WORSE.

Now the current prototype is, get this, a capture card in a Jaguar shell.
>>
>>3034512
>>
File: CcbqbTMVAAAWGGC.jpg (108KB, 735x836px) Image search: [Google]
CcbqbTMVAAAWGGC.jpg
108KB, 735x836px
Why can't these people do anything without being shady about it? They seem to have a big problem with honesty.

If you don't have a prototype just say so, holy shit stop faking it
>>
>>3024495
I don't know how guys like him who have a massive collection can shill shitty clone consoles with a straight face.
>>
File: gaben.exe.png (832KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
gaben.exe.png
832KB, 1600x900px
>>3034595
Jesus christ these guys are idiots, how don't they know the golden rule of online marketing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4qn52MHI8
>>
>>3034595
>Why can't these people do anything without being shady about it?
Because it's a fucking Coleco Scameleon?
>>
>>3034595
They can't make a kickstarter without a prototype, they need to fake it or they are not able to make a kickstarter to begin with.
>>
I like the concept of a gaming system that doesn't require internet to play games, but this looks shady.
>>
>>3035678
This is going to blow your mind, but they exist.
>>
>>3035689
I meant modern game consoles, I know retro consoles do that, but they are more expensive than modern consoles.
>>
>>3035743
A $50 Dreamcast and a spindle of cdrs seems pretty cheap to me.
>>
do we even know what kind of games are going to be played on this thing?
>>
>>3035743
PS4 you can literally turn off all internet connectivity on a single option.

Also
>they are more expensive that modern consoles
Wat are you smoking?
>>
>>3035751
shitty indie trash that appeals to dumb hipsters.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>3035751
None whatsoever. This is a classic example of trying to take money and running like a motherfucker.
>>
>>3035751
Whatever games run on a capture card.

In all seriousnesd, this thing just ain't happening. Even if they somehow have the gall to launch a KS, chances are slim that indie game companies are going to want to have anything to do with this. We won't see Shantae, we won't see Axiom, we won't see Shovel Knight. There won't be original titles for it other than possibly Tiny Knight. The RetroVGS company will pump out a couple Colecovision collections and maybe something from Piko Interactive will come out (as in, things like Super Noah's Ark). Other than that it'll be DOA.

Whatever hope this had has been completely blown by their stupid prototype stunts.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>
What in the retarded hell is wrong with these guys? How hard could it be to build a prototype?
>>
>>3035942
Can't build a prototype of something that doesn't exist in the first place.

If this guy had any actual specs or plans drawn up beyond the old bullshit renders, there WOULD be a prototype. But since he's lied about it literally three times, I'm willing to bet he has no plans and/or no engineers to help it become an actual thing. It's just an empty lie being told to try desperately to scam himself a piece of that delicious retro pie that's so trendy these days.

At least Ouya became a real product that you could buy from store shelves and had real games on it. I can't believe there's a game console worse than Ouya now.
>>
>>3035951
I think the main guy is losing g his mind. At one point I do think he was making real progress, talking to kevtris and all that apparently, but since then I think the wheels have come off and he's (they're?) just throwing together bullshit. I doubt any meaningful progress is being made on this.
>>
>>3024006
Based pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4qn52MHI8
>>
>>3035942
>>3035951
This is their third fake
>>
>>3024006
no it's a scam you retard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7K1ISNgnU
>>
I'm gonna buy a jag shell and make a prototype of my own. I have plenty of old computer parts I can use. I might even create a CD add on.
>>
>>3035951
>Can't build a prototype of something that doesn't exist in the first place.
But that's what a prototype is, you idiot.
>>
>>3036238
I think he means that you can't make a prototype if you have no idea what the fuck it even is.

All Kennedy has is:
>"retro"
>Looks like a Jaguar

There's no actual hardware. Not even a Raspberry Pi or Android phone parts.
>>
>>3024006
it'll never be released, its just a crowdfunding scam. not even a good one, only retards fall for shit like this.
>>
Just took out a loan. My wife is going to love it!
>>
>>3024006
The wife is really looking forward to it
>>
>>3036238
see: >>3036579
and try to actually read the entire post before you respond to it.
>>
>>3037120
It just blows my mind that they're still trying.

Why?

Whats the point?

You've burned a shitload of bridges and destroyed a lot of good faith. They had a guy who was actually capable of making the thing they wanted and they cut him loose.

So now they have literally nothing. No one capable of making a prototype. You have a bunch of guys who are "passionate" about the project but it's basically a joke.

Are people really this fucking stupid? Why would you invest so much time and money in pushing something that will never work? Is it strictly to scam kickstarter?
>>
>>3037164
What infuriates me the most are all the tech blogs and "journalism" sites that promoted this without doing ANY research at all. If any of those sites did like 2 minutes of research, they would've spotted the scam. But no, they took a press release from this scam company and ran with it. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>3037179
Welcome to 2013.

Dont you remember where that guy made a fake "leak" of some game and Kotaku blatantly copied it in an attempt to get the views?

You want to hear a joke? Gaming Journalism.
>>
The neo couldn't make a comeback. The one good console that was too expensive for us as kids and still is for most of us adults why would they think coleco would be a good trademark to purchase? The only exposure a majority of recent generations have to Coleco is tv plug ins. Did they release any collection discs for newer consoles? And those are archaic games.
>>
>>
>>3037252
Man, I wish the new neo had stayed. It wasn't perfect, but it had a shot, but SNK really fucked Tommo over with changing their minds.
>>
Oh shit, nigga. Coleco is giving RetroVGS a week to have a real protoype or they abandon the project.
>>
>>3037195
Are you talking about the Fallout 4 leaks that actually turned out true?
>>
>>3024006
gimme that snes jr in an atari shell, fuck yea!
>>
>>3037934
>not wanting the exclusive limited edition clear mold DVR card motherboard upgrade 2nd model

Guaranteed to end up being worth more. And really, what else matters?
>>
>>3038004
What other brands can they pimp themselves out to?

Intellivision?
Atari?
Magnavox?
Vectrex?

The fact that even fucking Coleco, that's basically a fucking shell company now is backing out is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>3037894
Source? I don't follow the book of faces
>>
>>3037903
No this was years ago.

It was basically entrapment. The guy released information to bait Kotaku reporting it, then they turned around and said it was fake.
>>
>>3038061
In a month it will be announced that the coleco chameleon has been cancelled but the project will continue as the Fairchild Channel R, with fancy woodgrain jaguar shells. More info when the patreon goes live!
>>
>>3038079
At this point nothing would surprise me. The fact that this is still continuing is the most amazing thing, I guess we'll find out in a week.
>>
>>3037894
>This whole debacle is so shameful that even a company that is literally nothing more than a name doesn't want to be attached to it anymore
>>
File: Coleco.png (30KB, 493x413px) Image search: [Google]
Coleco.png
30KB, 493x413px
>>3038070
Not that anon, but post is in this article
http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/02/coleco-chameleon-vanishing-act/
>>
File: phantomgif3.gif (2MB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
phantomgif3.gif
2MB, 960x640px
>Coleco Chameleon is the new Infinium Phantom
saw that one coming
>>
If only they didn't constantly lie and deceive this could have been a thing that idiots paid for.

What a shame.
>>
>>3034512
>>3034595
>>3035829
>equips jaguar with capture card
now your dental equipment can record your crimes for future usage
>>
>>3038642

Isn't that one which became a keyboard after many years of hype? kekkeroni
>>
>>3030762
Last I heard Coleco was actually demanding to see a real prototype and would be taking back the Coleco branding if they wouldn't.
>>
The Colecovision 2 is still getting made, right?

http://www.colecovision.dk/cv2.htm

Please add more then 32KB of ram in this so we can get MSX2/2+ ports on this thing.
>>
>>3024353
>I want to believe, I really do.
Believe in what? The entire concept is retarded.

Let's go over some of their sellingpoints:

>hurr cartridges are da bes
Not really, disc and digital distribution is MUCH cheaper, MUCH easier, and MUCH more versatile.

>no online at all, we think games shouldn't have to be patched durr
So say you got a game, and there's some big game breaking bug, maybe one of the levels was by pure chance corrupted when it was compiled the last time, and crashes the game when you try to play it? This happened with Wolf 3D on the 3DO, they had to issue a recall and rerelease the game with the fix. This was discs and was a pretty cumbersome and expensive affair, now imagine this with cartridges, either they recall it and reburn the ROM (fat chance) or you're stuck with a broken game.
If it turns out a terrible bug like that slipped by testing today, usually they issue and update and that's that.
Or what if extra content comes out after release?

There's no good reason to release an exclusive on this thing, and any actually good retro styled game released would be available on Steam and other consoles, with actual support, while costing less and overrall being a much smaller risk.

Literally the only thing it had going for it was the rewritable GPU for emulation, which they don't have anymore.

Currently, it's like a vaporware Ouya without online support.
>>
>>3038691
yeah after stealing millions from investors the scammer released a failed wireless keyboard
>>
>>3025731
The VB and 3DO actually had a library to look at, some quite good.
Assuming this thing got made, it literally will not have anything you can't get anywhere else.
>>
>>3038642
Ironically the Phantom's concept lives on through the Steam Machines.
>>
>>3024006
Guys didn't you hear about the fake console thing? This stuff doesn't even exist in prototype form, it's a total scam, regardless from the concept itself
>>
>>3038986
hi newfriend, please read the thread before replying with the same fucking post as thirty others

thanks
>>
>>3037568
SNK was right to because the Neo Geo X was a massive piece of cheap generic Chinese handheld console shit that used an unauthorized version of FBA and didn't even do a good job of emulating the Neo Geo
>>
>>3039057
>SNK was right to tell Tommo to fuck off*
I need sleep
>>
>>3038863
except Steam Machines are real :^)
>>
File: 14570284276711408880822.jpg (95KB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
14570284276711408880822.jpg
95KB, 888x500px
>>
>>3039003
Dude, haven't you heard? This fake console doesn't even have a prototype. It's a complete scam--this is only a concept! And a dodgy one, at that!
>>
>>3039062
>>3039062
Your post is still semantically valid.
>>
So, how do you think Mikey will respond to the Coleco inquiry?

Shut the whole thing down? Ignore it entirely? Rebrand the thing sans Coleco? Send off his bullshit proto as-is and blame it on the hardware guy? Beg the company for an extension?
>>
>>3039412
Be found dead in his car in a layby with a bottle of Scotch and empty Vicodin blister packs at his side?
>>
>>3039412
Whatever he does, we know one thing is certain. A prototype wont actually be shown.

He'll do the last thing you said and ask for more time. He'll make up stupid shit and the retards that bought the Coleco name will just go along with it, because they're fucking stupid.
>>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get out of our home.
>>
>>3039691
While I question how easily they let any idiot use the Coleco name, I think they wouldn't want to associate with a straight up scam.

>>3039065
With them actually releasing the keyboard they planned on using, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a console in development. It was probably a precursor to the Ouya but without the Kickstarter money to actually afford the shit they were promising.
>>
>>3039861
there was actually a prototype found in the wild. Ars ran a article on it.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/ars-reader-so-a-guy-walks-into-my-shop-with-an-infinium-phantom-console/
>>
>>3025747
So, has anyone on /vr actually used one of these FPGA emulators? How good or bad is it compared to the software emulators?

http://danstrother.com/fpga-nes/
>>
>>3039892
Probably as good as a NoC
>>
>>3039864
That thing is really strange. If they would have used shorter cables, everything would fit into the box with no issues
>>
>>3039896
NoC? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that acronym.
>>
>>3039920
Nes on a chip
>>
>>3038061
>Magnavox

But they are still an active company.
>>
Why are the analog sticks above the buttons??
>>
>>3040212
Because it's a fucking stupid 3rd party absolute piece of garbage Wii-U pro controller.

Why Nintendo put the sticks up there I'll have no idea, but that controller is basically unusable.

I don't know why they picked that controller. No game is going to use 2 fucking sticks on a cart console.
>>
>>3040218
>Smash TV clones would
>>
>>3024006
Not /vr/
Not retro. Please read the rules.
>>
>>3040227
Uh, it used to be called the RetroVGS dipshit?

>>3040226
Smash TV worked just fine with a d-pad and 4 face buttons instead of the 2 sticks.
>>
>>3040231
>Smash TV worked just fine with a d-pad and 4 face buttons instead of the 2 sticks.
That's because your line of fire was limited to 8 directions. Newer games made to look 8 or 16 bit wouldn't necessarily have that limitation and could give your character a full 360 degree range of motion for firing using analog control.

That being said this console isn't even happening so it's a moot point.
>>
When is the Retron 7 cumming out? Also /vr/ needs to stop making so many shot posting threads.
>>
>>3040231
>Uh, it used to be called the RetroVGS dipshit?
being called retro doesn't make it so, retard
>made long after 1999
>retro
>>
>>3040750
>missing obvious sarcasm

Must be hard to be a dingus.
>>
File: 1455690500630.jpg (25KB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
1455690500630.jpg
25KB, 200x254px
>>3040753
nice passive aggressiveness, Gamster81
>>
>>3040218
wiiu pro controller is goat you silly guy
>>
This is good news. I think Retro VGS is a better name than Coleco Chameleon to be quite honest.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFjBmVT_J4
New Cartridge Based Console & 1st Gameplay Shown! - JOHN LESTER AKA GAMESTER81
"1ST GAMEPLAY SHOW"
NUFF SAID???????
>>
>>3040227
Kind of is given that it claims to have a set of emulators.

And that the current "prototype" is literally a SNES
>>
>>3039715
Says the one using a tumblr image. How ironic.
>>
>>3041223
Hahahahahahahhahahahaha what a wise investment. This thing is garbage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgl2fzHjy84

Gamester81 responds.
>>
>>3041279
Thank god AA guys found about it!!!! Lester Scam fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>3041279
He seems genuine. They scammed him just like them scammed everyone else.
>>
>>3041463
>>3041223
NUFF SAID???????
>>
>>3041468
He's a shill obviously, but he had nothing to gain from promoting a straight up scam like this. He was fooled as well.
>>
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, fuck you forever.
>>
>>3041474
I think his "brought to you by stoneagegamer.com" stuff and that sponsored Kinect shovelware video might make people assume that if he is talking about something new he is being paid or otherwise compensated to do so. In this case, he was apparently just a publisher who was going to have his company's game on the system before it fell apart.

I see no evidence that he did anything wrong, but I guess it shows the risk of doing some sponsored content since it can make people question your other content.
>>
>>3041279

Gamester doing a damn good job of defending his friend Mike.

He's obviously doing massive fucking damage control. He has a stake in RetroVGS by partnering with them by providing the pack in game.

It's funny because every single game that Collectorvision games makes looks like utter dogshit.
>>
>>3041279
why do so many retro collectorfag hoarders look like neanderthals?
>>
the more i listen to and read all this coleco chameleon internet drama the more i hope this fucked up stupid console somehow succeeds and makes billions of dollars and puts sony and nintendo and xbox out of business and makes everyone looks stupid.
>>
>>3041732
In a way, though, you could view it that he too was screwed over since he played no part in the development of the hardware/the scam and now has had a distribution platform he was hoping to use completely fall apart and potentially tarnish his name by association.

I will say that something like this did have potential. The idea was interesting enough that some mainstream tech/game news sites had blurbs about it. It probably wouldn't be a mega success or anything, but with the right people making the hardware (someone like kevtris), the right price point (maybe $200 or so), and a few decent games (a mix of exclusives and big-name indie titles like Shovel Knight) at launch it could have been an interesting novelty item that likely would have sold well enough to justify production. RGB support would have been a huge plus especially for playing modern pixel games, but apparently even that plan went out the window. How can you market something as an oldschool styled console when the only video output is HDMI? That really is reaching levels of "just play it on PS4 or PC or whatever."
>>
>>3041810
That wouldn't happen, and I'd honestly have modern consoles over this retarded hipstermatic.
>>
>>3040227
>Not /vr/

Actually it is. For a number of reasons.

>Is actually a SNES
>Is an emulation box
>>
I would be for this thing if it wasn't so gimmicky and collector-focused. They are very obviously trying to cater to the deep pocket collector market who just want something else to put on a shelf. Otherwise they wouldn't be so hung up on different color console shells and "you get your cartridge in a BOX! With a MANUAL!!!"
>>
>>3034512
>>3034512
>>3034512
>>3034512
>>3034595
>>3034595
>>3034595
>>3034595

LOOK CAN WE STOP THIS THREAD NOW

THIS IS A FUCKING SCAAAAAAAAAAM

THE FIRST "PROTOTYPE" WAS A SNES2 IN A JAGUAR CASE

STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS STUPID FUCKING THING AND GIVING THESE FUCKING CONS ATTENTION
>>
>>3042476
>implying the conmen are enjoying this attention
Nah senpai, they'd prefer people be as quiet as possible about this to avoid bad publicity when Mikey K inevitably tries to rebrand this thing and make it happen for a third time.
>>
>>3041810
I'd really like to see something like this succeed. I'd love to have physical media of modern 2D games like gunlord. The problem here is that this team is focused on everything BUT video games. The games are secondary to everything else to these guys, and it shows.
>>
File: 71mdc8MoENL.jpg (105KB, 1446x1296px) Image search: [Google]
71mdc8MoENL.jpg
105KB, 1446x1296px
>>3044927
>physical media of modern 2D games
People should sell Android .apk files on microUSB flash drives with game art labels on them.
>>
>>3044927
>>3045073
theindiebox
>>
>>>/v/
-tier thinly-veiled ad thread which for reasons no one can understand has not and will not be deleted
>>
>>3045207
Read the filename.
>>
>>3028627
Where the FUCK did these things go?? I remember thinking they were too expensive at the time but now I can't even find them. It's like they were never actually manufactured and I'm just remembering it wrong??

I 100% remember slightly underpowered modern computers crammed into a c64 case running a build of Linux but now there are none of the aftermarket and the company is ggggggggggone
>>
>>3045207
Nah man. We're just here to make fun of this thing. I haven't seen anyone on /vr/ talk positively about this piece of shit. Whether or not it's against the /vr/ rules is debatable because it is a modern console but the insides of this thing are literally a SNES Jr.
>>
>>3039892
I don't know about console stuff, but the Minimig and its successor are supposed to be quite good. The MIST board can also be configured as other computers (Atari ST, C64...), but those designs aren't as accurate as Amiga 500 yet. But the designs are all open source and downloadable, so in theory it should improve.

>>3047948
Way too expensive for no reason. You're better to just get a cheap ARM SBC to run Linux or BSD and run emulators on it. Or else the MInimig or MIST board (about 200 euros). Then just get old cheap case from broken 80's machine, and you got a much better and cheaper setup.

Anyway it's better to support open projects instead of some lame commercial thing that only sells you generic Linux computer in fancy case.
http://www.harbaum.org/till/mist/index.shtml
>>
Seems like Mike isn't even really using the money for the one part of the console that exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXK8nZC4BAc
>>
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3462108

It looks like one of Mike's buddies got caught pretending to be someone else so he could shill for Mike on AtariAge and Digital Press.

Topmost kek.
>>
>>3049734
does anyone actually use those sites? they seem pretty garbage.
>>
>>3049740
There was once a time when when they were both very active, however times change and fewer people use message boards these days. With that said, Digital Press contains a huge repository of information and gets a lot of traffic from Google hits even though few people post there anymore.
>>
>>3049740

No clue what DP is like these days, but it was certainly a go-to place for old game collecting back in the early to mid 2000s. No offense, but I'm guessing you might be a bit too young to know that. As for AtariAge, I really don't know.

In terms of "hardcore" collecting, /vr is pretty low tier.
>>
File: 2016-03-08 13.24.06.jpg (793KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-08 13.24.06.jpg
793KB, 1536x2048px
Due to a time cock up I already have the follow up machine
>>
AND it's ogre....

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/coleco-pulls-support-from-chameleon/
>>
>>3050418
Needs a collectors edition.

>>3050730
Like a phoenix, it will one day rise again.
>>
>>3050730

Damn man. Deleted the facebook and website after losing the branding.

No doubt it'll be back in some form. Hopefully with what he actually promised. I guess he's just learning you can't fucking try and trick people.

Wasted tons of dosh on that Jaguar tooling for no reason.

I mean honestly, what he did was pretty shitty, but the amount of people jumping down his throat was also pretty shitty. I honestly think he probably did have reasonable intentions and want to make a good product for people. He just fucked up hard along the way, burning a bridge with the one guy on the team who was capable of building the thing, and doing a lot of really, really stupid shit.
>>
>>3050743
It is, its the special edition with white tape
>>
>>3050815
He took money from the RETRO magazine fund to buy those Jaguar shells. He hasn't paid some of his writers. He deserves every bit of this and more.
>>
>>3050976
This, really. Mike has been interested in one thing and one thing only throughout this entire shitshow, and that's money. He saw the "success" of the ouya and all the hype around retro vidya currently and he began seeing dollar signs. I have no doubt the guy is into retro games and is a fan himself, but he has fumbled multiple chances to actually create this thing. If money wasn't his endgame he wouldn't have lied to this community over and over just to save face. If this was truly a passion project for him, he'd seek out the resources to actually make it happen instead of just clinging to his proof of concept and hoping the functionality will be there somewhere down the road.

I agree that the witch hunt around everyone involved with the project is excessive and unnecessary. At the end of all this, the blame should fall on Mike and not the people he deceived.
>>
File: wvd1awwp92wklcmctk6h.jpg (52KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
wvd1awwp92wklcmctk6h.jpg
52KB, 800x450px
I half expected to find one of these inside.
>>
>>3039176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7XIUuj7ag
>>
File: 1438663431941.png (276KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1438663431941.png
276KB, 700x700px
>>3050418
Sweet, gonna pre-order this right away
>>
>>3051363
I mean they could've done so much shit man... an ouya... a fucking raspberry pi, just anything at the NY Toy Expo and they used a fucking SNES.
>>
Why is this so expensive?

How hard is it to stick in some cheapo RasPi style hardware into a jaguar case?
>>
>>3050976
I kind of liked RETRO magazine, so I'm more that a little mad that the magazine got fucked over to prop up this farce of a console. If I don't get my last two issues, because the funds to do things like "pay the writers" and "Print the magazine" were spent on another project entirely, I'll be pissed though utterly powerless to actually do anything about it.
>>
>>3051354
The whole idea of this was all about the money from the get go

The original fund me page they went on about the different colours before even mentioning the games,
"Super deluxe gold edition"
"Hyper silver collectors edition with sparkles"
"Turbo shit brown after a curry edition"

It all just reeked of two drunk guys talking in a pub.
>>
>>3051628
Because the market they where trying to aim at are the dim collectors that buy anything Retro.
More money than sense

Video relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
>>
>>3024006
Can I hook it up via RCA plugs? Will I have to go to channel 3 or 4 to use it if it runs on an RF?
>>
>>3051628
>>3051803
Not quite. The point wasn't to make a regular emulation box.

The (original) concept was a device that runs each system on hardware designed to recreate the original retro hardware. I know that sounds like emulation, but it's not.

Think of a processor on a board with a cartridge interface. It doesn't matter what cartridge type it's using, could be a brand new slot design, as long as it supports the bandwidth for whatever games you need to run. You plug a "Coleco Chameleon" cartridge in it and whatever game was programmed for the chameleon hardware runs. Now you plug an adapter for NES games into the slot, and now the processor is reprogrammed to replicate the Nintendo processor/hardware. Again, it sounds like emulation, but it's not, it's running on dedicated hardware, the processor is programmed to behave exactly as an NES processor would, eliminating potential glitches that occur with emulation (ideally), while interfacing with modern AV hardware. Now you take that out and plug in an Atari adapter. Atari games plug into that and the processor is once again reprogrammed to function exactly as an Atari processor. Etc.

I'm not good at explaining this stuff, but hopefully you get the picture. On paper, I have to admit it sounds awesome. Very flexible hardware that can save entertainment system space. It's not some mini-computer with enough power to brute-force emulate old games, but hardware that is reprogrammed on the fly to essentially BE old systems, that's where the "Chameleon" in Coleco Chameleon comes from. But having the resources to reprogram the processor for each needed system is insanely complicated, and very few people have been able to do it. You basically need to program each processor from scratch on the FPGA, and do it perfectly, for this to work. Swapping the programming between each system is the easy part once you get that first part working. Lots of manpower and time needed, between researchers and computer engineers.
>>
if I were Gamester81 I'd be looking to start a class action lawsuit against these retroVGS fucks.
>>
>>3051796
It was never about the games. That's the most crucial factor that led to the whole thing disintegrating.
>>
>>3051354
His team had a big part, it's not as if Mike personally put the toy fair system or the second fake. Supporters got duped but everyone inside had to know what was up.
>>
>>3052050
His team of literal whos.

They got rid of the one guy who actually had potential to make the thing.
>>
>>3051879

Greetings.

Understand wholly /vr/ is on life support and this may be the final time we see the board.

In any event - I still don't fully understand what you mean. Plug an adapter for NES games? Is this what 32x did kinda? Super gameboy?

What analogies could you provide?

Also, dude, let me be frank with you - what skills did these guys have to pull that off?

Its much more realistic to see them putting a linux/bsd OS and booting into an SDL "OS" than forking into emulators. Less reinventing the wheel.

Honestly dude, I think I could give you guys something better and have it on a GitHub, it'd be totally transparent (you'd see the progress). But all I can feasibly guarantee is software emulation, full screen, you boot right into a SDL menu that can open emulators (which in turn run in SDL).

It'd be cross-platform - because you want to know why? All these kickstarter guys, they don't know jack about manufacturing. I've seen it up close. Would happily elaborate.

Looking forward to your response and maybe some analogies on what Chameleon actually is. "FGPA" doesn't make sense, I viewed the wikipedia. I need analogy.
>>
>>3051879
>hay guise its not emulation
>here's how it emulates the systems in theory
>but its totally nawt fagulation b cuz the processor PRETENDS to act like the original hardware
Protip: emulation isn't just for software, retard.
>>
>>3052348
You're pointing out that "emulation" as a shorthand for "software emulation," and "emulation" as a general word, aren't the same thing.

Do you feel that >>3051879 is unclear in its usage of "emulation" to mean "software emulation"?
>>
>>3052348
Eh, this is kinda of a matter of definition, but the habit is to refer to software emulation as emulation, but pure hardware emulation (whether it be by an adapter that flips bits or a chip with proprietary firmware that does the job) ends up getting put into that boat.
>>
>>3052350
The distinction between clone chips (FPGA or otherwise) and software emulation is interesting for a couple of reasons, but the main practical one is that the state of software emulation for retro games has been superior to clone chips for quite a long time. You could describe that with the wording "hardware-based chip emulation currently sucks compared to software emulation" but "clone-systems suck compared to emulation" is more widely understood.
>>
>>3041223

a shame, the tiny knight game looks charming.
>>
>>3052356
Not the guy your replying to but the dingus you quoted made it pretty clear he didn't know what he was talking about and was just parroting the "only software emulation is emulation" maymay.
>>
>>3052380
Tiny Knight will still be coming out, just on consoles that actually exist
>>
>>3052336
>I can build a Retron!

I'm sure your wife just loves you.
>>
>>3052380
>>3055954
Sorry man, but Tiny Knight looks like shit.

The issue with these guys making "modern" games for SNES and other consoles is that they're banking totally on Nostalgia.

When someone makes a game that can rival a game like Demon's crest in terms of artstyle, and gameplay, let me know.
>>
File: fag.jpg (459KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
459KB, 1920x1080px
>guys guys guys I'm totally not a shill
>>
>>3056459
I have no problems with the guy and he clearly loves games, but when it becomes clear that you are sometimes willing to play for pay, people will start to think that is the case even when it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2_9fGFQ5g

A sponsored (and borderline painful) video like this is probably something that made people assume that Gamester81 was more than just someone involved in making a game that would get a RetroVGS release.
>>
>>3056482
Can you just tell me where it starts becoming obvious that he is just shilling? I watched the first 3 minutes and he even points out the flaws, so it seems like all it is is a video about a game.
>>
>>3056459
He's a cool guy and you can tell he loves his retro vidya, but oftentimes his schilling does come across a little too blatant. There are products he says are great but I can't imagine him using them outside the video.

Karnage is where it's at.
>>
Do you think Mike Kennedy will disappear from the world forever after this fiasco? He's already deleted the website and facebook page.
>>
Coleco Chameleon shall return as the Commodore Chameloid.
>>
>>3057378
Coming soon: the Bally Retrocade
>>
>>3041735
A bigger amygdala due to money-poisoning.
>>
>>3057360
He still has that magazine to run.
>>
>>3057459
I'm not so sure about that, it seems everyone is abandoning it too. I think the editor quit.
>>
>>3052336

>Understand wholly /vr/ is on life support and this may be the final time we see the board.

What?
>>
>>3024006
Has anyone brought this up?
http://www.colecovision.dk/cv2.htm
>>
>>3056459
Did he end up deleting the videos where he defended the Chameleon? Any mirrors?
>>
>>3051879
Why bother though? Especially when struggling for a prototype, why not just stick any cheap general-purpose computer in there and load up some emulators?

(in a legally acceptable way, of course, i don't literally mean buy raspis and stick copyrighted emulators on them claiming you coded them yourself.)
>>
>putting a capture card in a clear case and claiming it's the prototype

Fucking lel. Kickstarter/indiegogo/etc is all a fucking joke and anyone that funds anything from those websites is an idiot.
>>
>>3035951
iirc they asked the bloke who was goung to do most of the actual work to work 4 free and be paid later, he told them to fuck off and quit. Might be why they have nothing now idk.
>>
>>3058979

I have funded several successful products.

You mad bro.
>>
>>3058994
I am literally seething with rage.
>>
>>3056459
Do people really follow this middle-aged loser?
>>
>>3058979
As they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Anyone that gives money to so called "charities", shit like kickstarter, etc is a chump. Good job funding the rich, idiots.
>>
>>3059103
yes, gamester81 is my internet idol
>>
>>3059107
Charities in general are scams, all the actual work is done by volunteers and all your money goes to the recruiter that signed you up and the costs involved in running the company.

t.mum is a membership recruiter for a charity
>>
>>3059247

I usually give a little money to small, local charities, although I'm sure those could just as well be scams.

I'm more bothered by so-called charities that have a political agenda, like refusing to help individuals whose religious beliefs don't coincide with their own. Salvation Army comes to mind. I refuse to give any money to them.

Maybe a better idea is to get involved with more direct charities, like donating toys to Toys for Tots. There's no money for the organization to pocket, and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is operated by the military.
>>
>>3059267
You're better off volunteering somewhere desu if you want to make a difference.
>>
>>3059103
With enough money, you can buy a small portion of e-fame as he's done.

I've never been able to sit through more than a minute of any one of his videos. It is the single most boring, uncharismatic e-celeb and were it not for all his expendable income no one would give two shits about him.
>>
>>3024006
Now I am so torn, should I purchase a Coleco Chamelion, which has the possibility of being the next superstar break out retro gaming experience, or should I go with the tried and true retron V, which is the industry leader and can play all of my favorite games? My wife likes both systems, and everyone at the local retro gaming shop tells me that this will be a very difficult decision. Perhaps I should just purchase both as they are shining pinnacles of video gaming technology. I am glad to live in an age here I can purchase consoles like the Retron V and Chamelion which are superior to the original systems in every way. Plus, at a price point of 199 the Retron V is actually cheaper than buying a used system that may not even work all that well. It is a good time to b a retro gamer.
>>
>>3059432
It depends. Do you have a wife?
>>
>>3059762
While, I too, have a wife, I am clearly not the same person responding to sing the praises of the Retron V(tm) but am a completely different person who just happened to stumble upon this thread. While the Chamelion has potential, what can ever b as good as the mighty Retron 5, available from ou their website for a mere 129.99 usd. It is so amazing, did you know you can use the ACTUAL CONTOLRS from the ORIGINAL consoles? Some people may say that you can damage the cartridge due to shoddy workmanship, but they are wrong and they are just jealous. During rigorous testing, the Nobel winning engineers actually found that using the Retron V IMPROVED the quality of the original cartridge and even fixed broken games JUST BY PUTTING IT IN! So in concluding, as just a random fellow poster who has no connection to either the Chamelion nor the life changing miracle known as the Retron V, I would just buy the Retron V.
>>
>>3059432
>>3059968
if you're gonna pretend to shill, you should as least spell chameleon right
>>
>>3059968
>I too, have a wife
can i fuck her?
>>
why did they want to go with FPGAs in the first place? A FPGA is just a bigass chip that can be programmed on the fly to act like some other chip. Since they have to be able to do it all, theyre expensive as hell

Why not just use already-proven system-on-a-chips? They'd be way cheaper
>>
>>3061051
They already had a guy doing the FPGA programming, but they dropped him and completely fucked him over with the first attempt
>>
>>3061051
They wanted to seperate themselves from the crowd of other clone systems like the retron. Mikey K probably heard about an FPGA once and decided it was the best option and didn't want to consider any alternatives. According to that John Carlsen interview, Mike was very adamant about his system having an FPGA to the point of saying it was a requirement for the hardware and he didn't want a console without it.
>>
>>3024006
it think it's funny that this thing will propably go into the history books as the biggest joke in retro gaming ever - that's a huge achievement!
>>
>>3034595

They guys behind it are either compulsive, or pathological liars.

I've dealt with both. They're a real pain.
>>
>>3061053
>>3061115

isnt there only a certain number of times you can 'write' to a FPGA to change its configuration before it becomes unusable?
>>
>>3062187

It depends on the chip.

100K writes if using NAND gates. ~1 million if using NOR gates.

Over-provisioning and/or under-utilization will extend endurance the same way it does for flash memory.
>>
>>3061053

The really funny thing is Kevtris was apparently like 90% complete on working on it.

Would be hilarious if he went and made a team and actually released it a working vrsion of that shit.
>>
>>3062463

It is kinda sad. My impression was the falling out was in part due to Kevtris believing that some things should be scaled back on the RVGS hardware, and in the end it seemed like the Chameleon wound up having features removed anyway (most notably the switch to HDMI only output). By wanting everything Mike wound up with nothing. I guess he just grossly underestimated the difficulty of the hardware side of things and thought that his Jaguar molds and marketing skills were 90% of the equation and the rest could be easily solved by any tech person so long as there was enough crowdfunding cash to throw at them.
>>
File: 81Qon19E7dL._SL1500_.jpg (340KB, 1500x1417px) Image search: [Google]
81Qon19E7dL._SL1500_.jpg
340KB, 1500x1417px
>>3035829
>>
File: 71tRk-j0PBL._SL1500_.jpg (111KB, 1500x1050px) Image search: [Google]
71tRk-j0PBL._SL1500_.jpg
111KB, 1500x1050px
>>3065071
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.