[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there every any real strategy for side-scrolling beat-em

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

File: simpsons2.jpg (63KB, 353x265px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons2.jpg
63KB, 353x265px
Was there every any real strategy for side-scrolling beat-em up bosses like pic related? surely there was more than "keep hacking at him til he dies and you have enough quarters"
>>
Depends on the game, my fammie.
In most snes puncher walkans you can just spam your desperation move and shave away half his life bar in one or two lives, then just play normally. My favorite conveyor puncher boss fight of all time is still Rolento.
>>
>>3017209
>He plays snes beatemups

...................(deep breath). Why?

>>3017195
simpsons has strategy. but fuckin ninja turts doesn't.
>>
>>3017269
>Why?
I know, I know.
>>
>>3017269
Why not? I haven't played one since I was a kid so I'm curious.
>>
>>3017275
Everything.
>>
>>3017269
Donnie is op in Turtles arcade. out ranges almost all the mooks and even some bosses. Also best special move. Spacing and knowing what counts as a hit is what you learn.
>>
No, this is a pretty bad belt scroller. Doesn't hold up to SoR
>>
File: 07-04-es2401.jpg_141358524.jpg (56KB, 621x465px) Image search: [Google]
07-04-es2401.jpg_141358524.jpg
56KB, 621x465px
>>3017269
>...................(deep breath).
>>
>>3017951
>belt scroller

Is that a construction tool? Can I get one at Home Depot?

>captcha: Select all images with a Construction Vehicle

kek
>>
>>3017951
>belt scroller
No. No. No.
Stop this.
>>>/v/
No one ever called them this or ever will. Stop trying to be a special snowflake
>>
>>3017978
>That's not what I heard growing up so that's how it was everywhere else in the world.

/vr/ really is one of the most kneejerk immature boards around. Not even him, but it's a real term even if you didn't know it. Look it the fuck up.
>>
>>3017985
Only in fucking Japan, dipshit - if you grew up somewhere else I fucking guarantee you never heard this term before the internet was around and don't bother lying and say you and your mates always called them that.
>>
>>3017987
I'm Canadian and I've heard the term many times. "Belt scroller" isn't Japanese. This shit comes up all the time, like the PSX, PS1, Playstation circle jerk arguments. 4chan brings people from all over. Just because people didn't use a certain term where you grew up doesn't mean other people didn't.

Which of course you won't believe, because that's how this place goes. But it's also why you're an immature idiot.
>>
>>3017995
You fucked up son, I'm Canadian too and you're a lying shit.
>>
>>3017996
That doesn't discount what I said in ANY way.
>>
>>3017978
They did before you were born kid
>>
No one anywhere ever said sness either!
>>
>>3018014
Just bongland, but over there acronyms are normally pronounced as full words so whatever. It's only when my fellow Americans say 'Snes' that I cringe.
>>
As far as I know I've always heard them called beat-em-ups. I honestly don't think I'd ever heard the term "belt scrollers" until I saw it used on this very board.

Anyway, yeah, there is some degree of strategy. Been a bit since I played it, but I know I can make it a couple levels into the Japanese version of The Simpsons without needing a continue. Some of it is learning where the health powerups are located, not losing weapons (if I remember correctly the second boss dies extremely fast if you have the hammer), and knowing patterns. Jump attacks are useful in that game, I think. Some of it comes from overcoming your urge to just walk up in front of an enemy and mash the attack button. And, as with most arcade games, memorization helps.
>>
>>3018025
>Just bongland

Except that's not true at all. Plenty of Americans say it like that. That's the whole fucking point. You people who say "everyone said it like this" or "no one ever said it like that" come off like basement dwellers who never stepped into the real world.
>>
>>3018039
>real world

In the real world, which I lived and socialized in in the 90s it was 'Super Nintendo', with the uncommon 'S-N-E-S' in commercials.(usually full 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System' in commercials, especially Nintendo first party commercials).

'Snes' wasn't a thing from any American's mouth until the current millennium. It's understandable that some younger Americans may say it as 'Snes' now thanks to youtube videos and hearing Brits say it as such. Such is the effect of globalization.

>Captcha: 'Select all images of cookies.'
Thank goodness it didn't say 'biscuits.'
>>
>>3018057
>'Snes' wasn't a thing from any American's mouth until the current millennium.

This is precisely why I called you a basement dweller. You're making the assumption that "I never heard it like that so that means no one in America talked like that ever." You are flat out wrong.
>>
>>3018057
Ohh and before you call me a kid, as your rebuttal I'm in my 40's. So don't waste your time with that one and just spew whatever insults you want in the hopes of that will somehow strengthen your argument.
>>
>>3018069
I only presented the facts as I observed them. I don't need insults. I lived in three different parts of the US in my childhood/teenagerhood playing Super Nintendo, it was my primary interest and hobby and I talked with dozens of people about it. And I've only heard 'Snes' from people younger than us, or British.

Is it entirely possible that someone out there in the US said 'Snes'? Yes. I sure didn't observe it as the norm.
>>
>>3018080
>I sure didn't observe it as the norm.

That's as close to an admission as I've ever seen around here so I'll take it. I've heard all the terms in abundance, but maybe that's just me. The universal statements like "'Snes' wasn't a thing from any American's mouth" get really tiring to read. But whatever, I should really just stop biting at them.
>>
Beat 'em up threads are so trash.
>>
>>3018087
I would and will still argue that "Snes" is much much more a neologism in America, and anyone that said it in the era would have been such an outlier to be considered marginal. . I could never prove this 100% obviously- no one will ever have audio of every time an American kid talked about a Super Nintendo in the 90s, but from everything I know 'Snes' wasn't the case here until recently.
>>
>>3018057
As someone born in the late 80s who grew up in suburban Texas, as best I can remember I called it the S-N-E-S (and maybe Super Nintendo). I do not recall ever hearing or saying "Sness." Granted, I'm sure some did, but at least where I lived "Sness" was not typically used.
>>
>>3018137
that's what happens when the most popular games in your genre are also the worst
>>
>>3018352
Shut up. There are some really good walky punchies
>>
>>3017195
https://youtu.be/jWoxEWO7GZk?t=2m12s

Well, there's more to it than quarters at least. You can do it without taking damage at all if you abuse that one move properly. Simpsons is not a very good beat'em up.
>>
>>3018367
If that's not the British name for them, then it should be.
>>
>>3017995
4chan is filled with sexually frustrated permavirgins.
>>
>>3018590
Such as yourself?
>>
>>3017195
Learn to jump attack and change screen depth at the same time. Most enemies could only ever attack on their same plane of depth.
>>
>>3018367
Run & Punch sounds more badass.
>>
File: 1436392686033.jpg (48KB, 512x450px) Image search: [Google]
1436392686033.jpg
48KB, 512x450px
>>3017269

>...................(deep breath). Why?
>>
>>3018379
>Hurr Durr a game meant to be simple enough for kids to play at Chuck E Cheese is.... TOO SIMPLE FOR ME.
>>
>>3018379
>japanese version
casual nips
>>
>>3017195
I feel like they made purposely parts of these games bullshit because it's imperative they make money. Most devs would rebalance this shit when the opportunity for console port appeared. That's why Turtles in Time is good, imo
>>3017269
>...................(deep breath). Why?
You're one of those guys that gets immediately put off by the max amount of enemies aren't you?
>>
>>3018754
But you barely run in these games, walkan punch is where it's at.
>>
>>3019459
Thing is that Final Fight snes is dowright bad. You can just stand still mashing jab and even rushing enemies like Andore will walk into your combos.
>>
>>3019462
Walk'em Up's.
>>
>>3019467
>Final Fight snes is bad
kinda goes without saying

2 and 3 are good, mind you
>>
>>3017995
It was actually kind of sad to see how many people on this board acted insulted and angry because before visiting /vr/ I had only heard 'PSX' used for that weird Japanese PS2 based DVD recorder.

To me it was always just the playstation and then the PS1 growing up.
>>
>>3019503
don't they both play ps1 games? how is the dvd part relevant?
>>
>>3019508
The PSX was also a DVD recorder and a TV tuner, more of a home entertainment unit with a PS2 built in. Had the first released version of the XMB interface the PS3 used.

The point is lots of people get irrationally offended if you say nobody called the first Playstation a PSX when you were growing up.
>>
>>3019512
oh but the magazines certainly did
>>
>>3019526
Thanks for proving my point.

Nobody cares what magazines you read or what people near you said, its not a universal thing.
>>
>>3019528
It was used before the PSX2 came out. Microsoft did the same thing by calling their most recent entry the "Xbox One". It's wasn't quite as bad but It made a bunch of people uncomfortable.

Or better yet put it this way: Nintendo's next console the NX gets called "SNES". Not "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", just "SNES". Then five years from now we have a new wave of kiddies saying SNES can only refer to the new console and that no-one ever officially referred to the "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" as "SNES".

The point is whoever brings up the PSX2 is always a colossal faggot.
>>
>>3019512
>The point is lots of people get irrationally offended if you say nobody called the first Playstation a PSX when you were growing up.

It's not an irrational offense though. It's them just telling you that you're wrong. Lots of people called it that.

>>3019528
>Nobody cares what magazines you read or what people near you said, its not a universal thing.

What do you even mean by this? You admit that people used the term, but you're saying it doesn't matter because they never used it around you? Why are the people on /vr/ so convinced that the vernacular in the bubble they grew up in was how everyone everywhere talked everywhere else?
>>
>>3017269
Maybe cuz he enjoys video games, you should try it sometime instead of shit posting on this site fuck nut.
>>
>>3017278
Ah got it, some smelly Russian with a bamboo laptop shit posting.
>>
>>3018027
We used to call beat em ups "fighting games" back in my day.
>>
>>3019489
>2 and 3 are good, mind you
Mediocre compared to the arcade, or pretty much any arcade beat 'em up from Capcom.
>>
>>3018080
How's it feel to know your mother was a whore moving around to be with other men every few years during your childhood?
>>
>>3019689
Probably his father was in the military, and if so he's bound to be super proud of it. Lots of Americans are proud to sign up for being cannon fodder and think invading other countries is patriotism.
>>
>>3019459
That's just Konami, most arcade beat 'em up aren't as retarded as TMNT4 arcade. Most beat 'em up ports are quite dumbed down compared to the arcades, TMNT4 is an exception.
>>
>>3019698
Great and his father being gay also, that guy has to really be fucked up.
>>
>>3019706
you have a lot of inside information on some random dude's personal life
>>
in virtually every beat em up you simply stay below the enemy sprite and mash attack, they walk into your attacks and you hit them.

This gets different with bosses since special and wake up attacks throw some curve balls but for the most part you stand below them and attack.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>3017269
>(deep breath)
fag

>>3020015
This guy gets it
>>
>>3017195
Arcade games are usually designed to force you to use kamikaze tactics so you'll die and have to feed it coins.
>>
>>3018137
They're fine until someone says
> belt scroller

Why do I want my belt to move. It's a stupid term as it fails to convey meaning.
>>
>>3021519
That's why I call them ribbon slider.
>>
File: 343.jpg (20KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
343.jpg
20KB, 256x192px
>>3017195

God I love The Simpsons arcade game. Why can't I have a retro bro, or even sis, in London whose only desire is to play co-op games together and chill, and have all those vidya adventures together, helping eachother out, sometimes antagonising eachother for fun, but becoming bros4life through our struggles? The few people I know aren't interested in this shit.
>>
>>3021528
walky punchy

>>3021519
But anon, belts are great at conveying things.
>>
>>3021694
I actually beat world of illusion alone with two controllers. The collapsing ceiling session of the water level really killed me. I was not a popular kid.
>>
>>3020271
You posted an arcade game.
>>
>>3022378
I begged my sister to play through it with me once.
To this day she still mentions how much she hates "that mickey mouse game."
>>
>>3019503

PSX was never something I heard the other kids saying when I was growing up. Everyone would just say Playstation or PS1. But I read a lot of video game magazines and they would often use PSX to refer to the Playstation.
>>
File: msgechocap.png (39KB, 720x1200px) Image search: [Google]
msgechocap.png
39KB, 720x1200px
>>3022461

http://pastebin.com/NdhaT3CS
>>
>>3022392
Dude I know what I posted, I just felt weird posting the SNES port because of NOA and how bad it is
>>
File: GYP.png (124KB, 274x201px) Image search: [Google]
GYP.png
124KB, 274x201px
>>3017269
>>
>>3023779
For what it's worth, I'm Norwegian as well and it was the 'PSX' for me as well. I read a lot of gaming magazines back in the day and picked it up there I guess, because you know no one would use the 'PS1' abbreviation before there was a 'PS2' to differentiate it from.

In speech it was obviously just PlayStation. SNES was Super Nintendo, NES was Nintendo, and Sega was barely even sold anywhere.
>>
>>3022461
No one referred to the Playstation as PS1 before the PS2 was announced.
>>
File: Flipping_Pyro.webm (2MB, 288x224px) Image search: [Google]
Flipping_Pyro.webm
2MB, 288x224px
>>3017195
With enough practice, you can usually exploit certain moves or the AI of bosses.

Pic not all that related I just like posting it.
>>
>>3024934
kek
>inb4 Pyro gets to say at least one line

I never knew about this trick until now. No wonder everyone preferred playing as Dazzler.
>>
>>3019689
>>3019698
>>3019706

Nice ad hominems you fucking dipshits
>>
>>3025949
Uh no. Everyone prefers to use Storm because of her reach. or Nightcrawler.
>>
>>3022430

Ouch.

I at least got to play it with my vidya-loving dad. Before he left us.

>tfw credit feeding to level 150 of Gauntlet for no reason other than hanging out with your dad
>>
File: smugmalala.jpg (34KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
smugmalala.jpg
34KB, 360x360px
>>3017269
>>
>>3019503
Yeah it's not like a bunch of retards literally chimped out every time I casually used the PSX name and derail the thread forever, then felt attacked when I just explained where it was from and why I was not dropping the term. It's the others that are autistic and inmature and not me trust me guys.
>>
>>3026392
My Dad got my sister and me an NES back in 84 with Mario/Duck hunt and Kid Icarus. The whole senpai loved playing it and my sister was so much better at KI than me. I loved playing games with my Dad.
>his favorite game was Side Pocket
>>
>>3026858
*not senpai. WTF I typed senpai
>>
>>3026863
WTF!!!! Why is it correcting "family"???
>>
>>3026867
baka desu
>>
>>3026872
I guess
>>
>>3026867
>WTF!!!!

You don't belong here.
>>
>>3017995
Canadian here, never heard it until /vr/
>>
>>3026880
Suck my dick. I was mad
>>
>>3019672

>Why are the people on /vr/ so convinced that the vernacular in the bubble they grew up in was how everyone everywhere talked everywhere else?

Mental problems
>>
>>3017195
Why do people still care about the simpsons game?

It is by far the worst beat em up konami ever made, as it is one of their earliest. Each new game they made had better aestetics, deeper combat, and much smoother controls.

I can understand failing to find the much superior things like Violent Storm and going to familiar IP back in the 90s when your options were more limited. Now there is no excuse, it's now just a sign of favoring IP over all the aspects of a video game.

Another sign that it seems to indicate a lower type of player is that fans of the game are the one's most likely to make stupid posts like OP's. The simpsons game arguable has the simplest strategy of any game in the genre, lacking even a throw: yet the strategy involved in the game baffles OP.
>>
>>3017290
Reason why I choose him actually. His staff has good range
>>
>>3027159
Maybe because it's a licensed Simpson's game that isn't garbage? Also just the Simpsons themselves imo.
>>
>>3027179
Isn't that what I said? That's it's a sign of prefering intellectual property (IP) to other aspects of video games? Every game konami made past it had deeper combat, better aestetics, and far improved controls, with the same distinctive konami spirit, but the IP is more important to some people.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.