[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 14

File: explain.png (807KB, 5120x3584px) Image search: [Google]
explain.png
807KB, 5120x3584px
explain
>>
>>3016889
It's a picture from the Genesis version of Aladdin, from an emulator, and stretched to an ungodly 5120x3584 size. You can tell because the dithering isn't working the way it would on a CRT.
>>
File: Aladdin-Genie-gun-shot-630x330.jpg (19KB, 630x330px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin-Genie-gun-shot-630x330.jpg
19KB, 630x330px
>>3016889
>a kids movie that makes modern pop culture references out the ass also sneaks a few in the game

What's the issue here?
>>
>>3016889
why is your image 4k?
>>
>>3016893
>the dithering isn't working the way it would on a CRT
Maybe on your shit-tier CRT. Everybody who cares about quality uses an RGB connection.
>>
>>3016903
Not my image, but I approve, because it means default web browser scaling can be used without causing obvious non-integer artifacts.
>>
Genesis version of Aladdin > SNES Aladdin

It's little details like this that makes it such a great companion to the movie. The SNES game retains none of the humour of the movie and is more of a generic platformer featuring Disney's Aladdin. Virgin's Aladdin is playing the movie.
>>
>>3016893
>You can tell because the dithering isn't working the way it would on a CRT.

When will people stop spreading this stupid rumor?
>>
>>3016906
>>3016916
>OP posts a shit thread
>I give a shit answer
>Two people take it seriously
What the hell is wrong with you two? Did you need me to be more obvious and say "Also, if you aren't playing on real hardware you aren't really playing the game"?
>>
>>3016926
>>OP posts a shit thread
hey fuck you, at least I post interesting stuff.
>>
>>3016926
>Did you need me
We need you to blow your fucking brains out you subhuman mondoloid.
>>
>>3016943
I'll give you credit that at least it's /vr/. Interesting? That's a stretch anon and you know it.
>>
>>3016947
>Calls me subhuman
>can't even spell mongoloid even with auto-correct
Lemme guess, you're that angry BR guy from the other thread.
>>
>explain
Dumb kids are posting shit in /vr/ when they should be in /v/.
>>
>>3016960
What thread?
>>
>>3016889
it's a known fact that aladdin takes place in the future
>>
>>3016980
Atari gen.
>>
>>3016951
Not OP.

I appreciate seeing high quality pixel art and well designed imagery. Honestly I dont care what this thread is about, I like it. Don't act like you're the fucking arbiter on good threads. That's childish as fuck and you're acting like a bitch.

Thank you.
>>
>>3017057
>Not OP.
I know, OP already responded.
>Don't act like you're the fucking arbiter on good threads.
So people just posting images with "Explain." is a good thread to you? Sounds like you have low standards, or bad taste.
>>
>>3017070
It's an image board. Sounds like reddit is the site you're looking for.

Not trolling. I'm dead serious. Go to reddit. You'll love it. It's full of people like you.
>>
>>3016889
that sign is telling you to stop posting and go to bed.
>>
>>3017057

>virgin games
>the pixel art

The sprites are hand-drawn. They look pixelated because the original game is 240p.
>>
File: aladdinPlatformers_04.png (162KB, 800x280px) Image search: [Google]
aladdinPlatformers_04.png
162KB, 800x280px
>>3016913

Yeah, because we all remember that scene where Aladdin used a sword in the movie.

Capcom's Aladdin is a better game, the only thing Virgin's game has going for it is the sprite animation.
Backgrounds are really ugly compared to the detailed ones on the Capcom game.
>>
File: aladdin.jpg (59KB, 363x400px) Image search: [Google]
aladdin.jpg
59KB, 363x400px
>>3017112
>>
>>3017112
>Yeah, because we all remember that scene where Aladdin used a sword in the movie.

He had a sword when he fought Jaffass snake form
>>
File: scr-20160223094205.png (215KB, 1368x768px) Image search: [Google]
scr-20160223094205.png
215KB, 1368x768px
>>3016889
Stop sign for camel crossing.
>>
>>3016909
wut?

dude its simply a 10x upscale, no special algorithms
>>
>>3017057
whoa son, thats 6th-grade level of caring about nothing, what were we discussing agin idk, is this the /vr/ IRCthread?

/nick Anonymous
/msg NICKSERV identify opisafag
>>
>>3017152
theres something worng with ur windows taskbar and ur internet explorer too
>>
>>3017112
I dont know why people like the capcom version better. All he did was throw apples and jump on guys. Having him with a sword in Genesis is more interesting, and the graphical presentation was a plus.
>>
File: 1450427236752.jpg (58KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
1450427236752.jpg
58KB, 720x479px
>>3016889

Aladdin takes place 10,000 years in the post-apocalyptic future, in what what is now modern day Afghanistan (whose name has been corrupted over time to Agrabah).

The flying carpet isn't magic, it's highly advanced technology that has long been forgotten, Iago (Jafar's parrot) is from a strain of birds that were made hyper-intelligent either through radiation-stimulated mutation or genetic engineering.

This is why the Genie (who spent 10,000 years in a magic lamp) makes jokes about modern pop culture events and celebrities, and this is why you see a modern day stop sign peeking up out of the sand after being buried for 10,000 years.
>>
File: richard-stallman.jpg (55KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
richard-stallman.jpg
55KB, 500x375px
>>3017192
kek
>>
>>3016906

CRTs still add a natural blur
>>
File: aladdin has shitty backgrounds.jpg (136KB, 952x333px) Image search: [Google]
aladdin has shitty backgrounds.jpg
136KB, 952x333px
>>3017112
>Backgrounds are really ugly compared to the detailed ones on the Capcom game.

Only if you post the biased comparisons. The backgrounds are fine on the Megadrive game.
>>
>>3017206
"People" don't prefer the capcom version, it's just the same nintyfag that's been polluting the board with his aladdin comparison since ages because he can't accept that a Genesis game was better than the snes counterpart
>>
>>3017443

Cansole warring was bullshit 20 years ago and its bullshit now. Neither is better, both are equally good. The Capcom one is your typical Capcom- Disney platformer, your sign of quality, it's a bit like going thorough the motions but that is because Capcom simply was a safe bet, it features the typical Capcom background work using the higher color palette capabilities whichmakes it look really beautiful, gameplay wise it's solid, it#s a platformer, what do you expect?
The Genesis graphics wise obviously has a disadvantage by design with its much more limited palette. Regarding this it#s quite amazing what was done with the backgrounds, even though they still have that typical "Genesis look" everyone knows that the system had exactly because of this limitation they look extremely good at times, it is simply a different kind of colors, the Capcom one I'd describe as "pastelly" and more "fairytale- like" for lack of a better word. i am sure you all know what I mean, whereas the Genesis ones are rougher but more "to the point", which one you prefer is a personal matter. The Genny version also features beautiful fluid sprite animation done by Disney animators themselves and also has swordplay which is awesome and makes it a bit less "pure" platformer. it is great in its own right. The two are different but both are great games. Stop that bullshit fighting already.
>>
File: Aladdin_%28SNES%29_18.png (15KB, 512x432px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_%28SNES%29_18.png
15KB, 512x432px
>>3017421
I don't really think those are especially good looking either.

>>3017443
Nice nintyfag boogeyman, but I grew up as an idort (unlike you) so I actually played both version when they came out, no bias because of a company.
Also, this isn't Sega vs Nintendo, this is Capcom vs Virgin. The Virgin game also came out on PC (although it was a shit port with cropped screen and missing a level or two).
The Capcom game is better as a game. I mean, I don't think I ever preferred any of the Virgin platformers to the Capcom ones, and Aladdin isn't an exception.

But yeah, nice sprite animations.
>>
>>3017112
>>3017443
Genesis looks like the movie and SNES looks like a videogame; THE END
>>
Why is Aladdin always the go-to game for console war shitposting?
They're two totally different games by two very different companies that just happen to have the same license, and neither is anywhere near the best platformer on their respective system. Which you prefer just comes down to whether you like Virgin games or Capcom games more since they took two different approaches.

At least shit like Contra III vs. Hard Corps and Bloodlines vs. Super Castlevania IV make sense, since they're part of the same franchise and are made by the same developers.
>>
>>3017576
And I don't think the one you posted is much good. I can literally see the tiles that make up the landscape.
>>
>>3017831

You can see the tiles on the Virgin game too, limitations of the time, anon. Look at these tiles on the rocks Aladdin is standing on. Similar to how you can see the tiles that form the terrain on the Earthworm Jim games.

Also compare this background which is just a blue rock wall, with the Capcom background with the stair.
>>
>>3017112
>Capcom's Aladdin is a better game
Nice bait. I'll bite.

The Capcom version is no where close to being on the level of the Genesis version. The Genesis version has better music, better level design, better sprites, a sword, and stays much closer to the movie than the SNES version. 4chan is literally the only place I've seen people praise the SNES version...which doesn't surprise me.
>>
>>3017881
why doesn't it surprise you
>>
>>3017881

Why bait? It's just discussion, anon. It's nice to find people with different opinions and views than yours and discuss about it without calling each other names.

>The Genesis version has better music

Debatable, both are good, I like the original music from the Capcom game a lot, but the Virgin one also has nice music.
I don't really think you can say either is bad, or

>better level design

Here's where I strongly disagree. Capcom's game has much better level design with sections that require full use of Aladdin's control moves, whereas the Virgin game is more like the typical western platformer where you just navigate a semi-maze level, it appears to be less lineal, but in the end it's still just a lineal level except you go back and forth, up and down, until you reach the exit. Capcom's game is more linear but better thought of. Linear is better when it comes to action platformers.

>better sprites
Yeah I don't think anybody is gonna question this. Virgin got actual disney animators for it, they look splendid.

>a sword

I personally didn't like how the sword handled on the game, most of the times I found spamming apples is the best strategy, especially on the final boss.

>and stays much closer to the movie than the SNES version

Also debatable and, ultimately, not really a way to measure whether it's the better game or not.
The Capcom game is still very faithful to the movie though, as Aladdin uses his acrobatic abilities to overcome obstacles and enemies, the sword was only used at the end of the movie when he fought Jafar. SNES also has the bonus stage with Jazmin and A Whole New World, which I thought was a nice touch.
>>
>>3017881
>The Genesis version has better music
This is subjective.
The Virgin version definitely gets points for using more movie tracks but I've never really liked the way they sounded on the Genesis, and the few times the Capcom game does utilize the movie songs I find it pulls them off a lot better.

>better level design
I can't stand Virgin's level design in any of their platformers. The semi-maze approach to games like Lion King and Jungle Book wasn't very appealing at all and they ended up being really linear regardless.
Capcom's Aladdin focused more acrobatics and bouncing around on moving platforms, and I think it benefited for that. The whole thing feels a lot more fluid and concise.

>a sword
I don't get why this is always listed as a strength besides "it looked cool."
It wasn't very fun to use. Apples were usually the better approach because they were ranges, and the SNES game shares that weapon.

>better sprites
>and stays much closer to the movie
These are objectively right though.
>>
File: ref_genie-goofyhat.jpg (81KB, 640x378px) Image search: [Google]
ref_genie-goofyhat.jpg
81KB, 640x378px
>>3016889
the Genie goes to Disney World
>>
>>3016898
It's an anachronism not a pop culture reference
>>
>>3017932

I think people like the sword because it makes Aladdin less defenseless which people like (even though he was defenseless in the movie where it were his acrobatic abilities that ultimately let him survive) which adds to the "cool" factor. Because it's settled in a world with real humans jumping on people's heads doesn't really fit the whole look, a real weapon like a sword is much more realistic.
>>
>>3017839
Man that screenshot makes the Genny ver look pretty fucking smokin'. I'll give it another go trying to get past the awful floaty physics and butt-ugly market stages to see if the game redeems itself at some later point
>>
File: aladdinvirgin.png (471KB, 2270x1127px) Image search: [Google]
aladdinvirgin.png
471KB, 2270x1127px
>>3018017

It doesn't really, still the same physics and level design throughout. but you can give it another go to see for yourself, it's not completely bad either, and the animated sprites are eye candy.
>>
File: dog without a bone.png (216KB, 2864x1168px) Image search: [Google]
dog without a bone.png
216KB, 2864x1168px
>>3018029
explain
>>
File: vOGrG1P.jpg (68KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
vOGrG1P.jpg
68KB, 500x667px
>>3017226
Listen to this guy op.
>>
>>3017984
why not both?
>>
>>3017416
They don't.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.