[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic 3D Blast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: 3D_Blast.png (90KB, 320x448px) Image search: [Google]
3D_Blast.png
90KB, 320x448px
Which version of this flawed yet underrated game is the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sldKBNbBSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1fmeYXBOE

http://strawpoll.me/6889403

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdpfeM8evU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5dXMLhQPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7-ixllcgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nP1Ggrm4Q
>>
I've always played the Genesis version, but the Saturn one looks WAY better (especially the intro, man, I miss old-school Sonic). Shame about the bland color palette.

Fun fact, there's a romhack of the Genesis version that has no flickies.
>>
They are the same, only the special stages are different.
>>
>>3015350
As someone who loved the sonic gamaes it boggles my mind how many apologists exist for the shit entries in the series, especially the shitty saturn ones.
>>
Only played and beat the pc version. It was a surprisingly good game. The snow level music was top tier.
>>
>>3015350
They both suck, but the MD version had better music.
>>
For fucks sake. Are you the same person making all these stupid fucking Sonic "WHICH IS BETTER???" -Threads, of which there are 4 according to catalogue?
Can't you just make one thread instead
>>
>>3015616
Now that you mention it I did notice a sudden increase in Sonic threads.
>>
>>3015631
It is the 25th anniversary after all. Might not be a coincidence.
>>
>>3015658
Oh, I totally forgot. Everyone's been like crazy with Zelda's 30th.
>>
>>3015350
PC. Graphics and audio quality of the Saturn version but with better special stages, and if you really want the Genesis music you can just mod it in.
>>
>>3015631
Which is far from a bad thing.
>>
>>3015350
>FUCKIES' ISLAND
>>
File: sonic americuh.gif (756KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
sonic americuh.gif
756KB, 500x381px
>>3015679
Indeed.
>>
Sega Genesis had a better soundtrack while the Saturn had better cutscene and extra development on specific levels such as the final fight.
>>
>>3015602

They were both good.
>>
Sonic 3D Blast. More like Sonic 3D ass.
>>
>>3016072
Saturn was sadly plagued with ridiculous load times.
>>
I played and completed the Windows version of this when I was a kid. I was underwhelmed by it, but made myself finish it because I loved Sonic. I hadn't really thought about it since.

However, after seeing this thread, I looked up that No Flickies hack of the Megadrive version, and actually ended up downloading and playing the Super Sonic variation of that hack, so: no flickies, and you can become Super Sonic with 50 rings after getting all the emeralds.

I've got to say, this is actually pretty damn good. It's become platforming fun, plain and simple. The one thing this hack needs is probably the ability to still grab Flickies optionally, in order to get higher jumps to access secret areas (the Flickies allow you to jump higher), but still not needing them to progress through the stage.

So, I was surprised at how good this is. You're running through levels, picking up speed, dodging/blasting through obstacles, using all the little loops and tricks. It's good!

What would have made it impressively good, would be if it had come out a year or so earlier. This was the last game for the Megadrive, coming out at the end of 1996, would you believe, meaning that Flickies Island actually came out just AFTER Super Mario 64. Which makes me realise why this game was consigned to the trashcan of history. It could have been the first big "3D" platformer, and may even have started a trend for isometric pre-rendered games like this and Super Mario RPG, which has a few platforming elements itself, if I recall, if it wasn't for Mario 64 coming along and destroying poor Sonic.

>dat shitty opening fmv
>>
>>3015350
lol
>>
>>3017560
>This was the last game for the Megadrive, coming out at the end of 1996, would you believe, meaning that Flickies Island actually came out just AFTER Super Mario 64. Which makes me realise why this game was consigned to the trashcan of history.
Pretty sure it was held back so it could come out both for the Genesis and Saturn.
>>
>>3017560
>It could have been the first big "3D" platformer,

There were a lot of other isometric platformers before 3D Blast.
>>
>>3015350
It's pobably what everyone else thinks is shit, but Mega Drive/Genesis is the winner for me. The music is so bouncy and fun and the graphics didn't bother me since I was a kid.

I had this on Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube and got really into it when I got really sick for a while in elementary. Memories.
>>
>>3016167
That's your opinion, but i never really liked 3D Blast.
>>
File: 2408958-satspecial1.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
2408958-satspecial1.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>>3015350
saturn is the genesis version but with better graphics, a new soundtrack and sonic 2 inspired 3d special stages instead.

honestly i prefer the new special stages more than the game itself.
>>
>>3020212
>saturn is the genesis version but with better graphics, a new soundtrack and sonic 2 inspired 3d special stages instead
And filthy long loading times.

>honestly i prefer the new special stages more than the game itself
This.
>>
I prefer the Saturn music

to the point I used the disk more as a music CD than a video game.
>>
File: Sonic_Jam_world.png (167KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Jam_world.png
167KB, 320x224px
>>3020212
Sheit is that the model they used in Sonic Jam
>>
File: sonic-jam.png (174KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-jam.png
174KB, 320x224px
>>3022218
They really dropped the ball not releasing a proper sonic game in the saturn. Lowpoli sanic is cute as fuck

Ah who am I kidding, it would probably just be like Sonic Adventure shit
>>
>>3022227
>They really dropped the ball not releasing a proper sonic game in the saturn. Lowpoli sanic is cute as fuck

In retrospect, they could've made a lowpoli Sonic game, and have it restricted to 2d movement other than some curves on the road. Like the opera bunny boss fight in Nights, which was reskinned as Eggman in Xmas Nights if you played the game as Sonic. Use that, throw in some 90 degree curves like Clockwork Knight.

The major problems would be the 30fps and the draw distance...
>>
>>3022239
To be quite honest I really liked the Sonic World from Sonic Jam, I wouldn't mind having it in full 3d movement. It controlled really nice and I would really like seeing it expanded. And there was no dialogue nor story nor new special furry friends nor nothing, so they were on the right track.

The problem is that Sonic games somehow gained the stigma that it HAS TO BE FADST, and that shit just doesn't work in 3d even though they keep insisting on it even today.

I mean the first game wasn't even fast besides the first zone, it was a pretty standard meticulous platform jumper. This fast shit really did a number on the sonic games.

But I wouldn't mind seeing your game either, but seeing how everyone was so obsessed with 3D back then, there was huge pressure that SEGA took the reins of 3D innovation and apply it to Sonic as well, they just couldn't escape it
>>
>>3022008
Saturn has very nice tracks to listen to but Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet are nothing but noise and Spring Stadium 2 is just a big no-no.
>>
>>3022280
The OST is definitely a mixed bag. It ranges from heavenly to unbearable.
>>
>>3022294
My guess is that Jacques gave up or ran out of time after Volcano Valley.
>>
>>3022227
no, so long as they expanded on the sonic world concepts and added enemies and other conventional sonic concepts I'm sure to this day people would be using that game as an example of good 3D sonic, I even contemplated learning to hack for saturn to do something like that but gave up because I'm too fucking lazy.
>>
>>3015350

The Saturn version is incredibly disappointing considering it's basically the same as the SMD version. Richard Jacques's soundtrack is one of my favourites OAT though.
>>
>>3022254
I agree, it would have been really interesting to see sonic world get expanded on. plus it wouldn't be hard to add tails or something for extra gameplay options since they already had a tails model. in fact this would have came out at a time when sonic had enough characters to work off of and also didn't have retarded voice acting or story so using tails and knuckles would have probably worked more like it did in the genesis games rather than how adventure did. it really was the biggest missed opportunity for both sega and sonic team.
>>
File: sonic the moustache.png (21KB, 216x158px) Image search: [Google]
sonic the moustache.png
21KB, 216x158px
>>3022483
>I even contemplated learning to hack for saturn to do something like that but gave up because I'm too fucking lazy.

Ah shit man, if you have the skills for it I urge you to try again. That would be fucking cool
>>
>>3022523
I honestly would and want to, but I'm still very unfamiliar with the saturn and all the inner workings of it, plus I'm not very good at hacks... but if I ever get the chance I certainly will try to do it.
>>
>>3022571
The lack of a proper emulator with debugging capabilities might be sort of a problem as well
>>
>>3022579
True, but I can only really chock it up too one thing besides being the McDonalds of rom hackers, that being I've never really sat down and used a saturn longer than like an hour or so since I never owned one so I'm really unfamiliar.
>>
>>3015365
The Saturn games aren't even that bad. I really don't get this /v/ opinion. Did some youtuber just shit on the games?
>>
>>3022724
I grew up with them mate , don't accuse me of youtube shilling just because you are blind to shit quality games.
>>
>>3022878
>I grew up with them mate
Dank memes kid.

Take your youtuber lets play back to the containment board.

Sonic Jam is good.
Sonic R only goes to shit if you're an idiot and run into to walls or force yourself to go backwards.
>>
>>3015350
I only like the music from megadrive. I feel like there needs to be a 2D fan remake.
>>
>>3022885

I don't think he was shitting on Sonic Jam. it's a good compilation of the classic Genesis games.

3D Blast was always considered to be underwhelming.
Sonic R is just awful and not even programmed by Sonic Team but by some western studio, it's pretty awful. People only ironically like it because of the hilarious, catchy soundtrack.
>>
>>3023034
It's really not that awful. As a Sonic game up until that point it's not great but it's far from awful.

Compared to like Sonic 06 it may as well be game of the year.

The graphics are nice
The ost is great
The gameplay is ok
The negative to it is just bugs. Arguably questionable level design too.

It's gotten this reputation as the "Le Sonic is so bad meme" from youtubers that intentionally break the game to make a funny video.
>>
>>3023050

Sonic R is considered bad even before SA being released, the youtuber shit applies to the first title on Genesis mostly. I like R though
>>
>>3023054
There were few people shouting about how it was awful. Ya it wasn't a great a game. It's far from awful. And if you honestly think that Sonic R is awful you haven't played much on the Saturn.
>>
>>3023067
When was the last time you played it? I played it last week and it was as awful as I remembered, i love thesoundtrack but it really just doesn't play well. Keep in mond f zero and mario kart were out well before this game, even by the standards of the time it played very poorly.
>>
>>3023079
Like I said man. It's not a great game. I'd much rather play it over a lot of the kart clone if that's what you're comparing it to.
>>
>youtuber boogeyman
Please, shit like Sonic R and 3D Blast were panned long before youtube even existed. I'm sorry you can't accept this.
>>
There was this weird glitch on the Sonic 3D Blast cartridge I owned, if I moved it back and forth for a few seconds the secret menu would appear.
>>
>>3016173
Good one, James.
>>
>>3023054

R got great reviews at the time though.
>>
>>3025117
Some reviews in mags were meh but nothing terrible. I know the Saturn mag give it like a high 80s or 90s.
>>3024387
No it wasn't.
>>
File: Sonic-3D-Blast-04.png (148KB, 1302x568px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-3D-Blast-04.png
148KB, 1302x568px
The Genesis release of Sonic 3D Blast is plainly superior while the Saturn version is a steaming pile of shit.

Despite being on the vastly more powerful Saturn, the graphical upgrade is mainly limited to faux transparency for water effects and 3D special stages which are just an uglier version of Sonic 2's despite being true 3D. Even worse, the color palette of the Saturn version is dull and doesn't match the aesthetic of Sonic's normally colorful world (which is preserved in the Genesis version). To make it all worse, the Saturn version is plagued with loading times.
The final nail in the coffin for Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn is the soundtrack. Even if you believe that the music is good (it isn't), it was atypical for the Sonic series while the Genesis version delivered a notable soundtrack true to the Sonic style.

To sum it up, the Saturn version is a slow loading lazy port with no real graphical upgrade and huge stylistic flaws while the Genesis version is a graphically impressive isometric Genesis game with a memorable soundtrack and strong aesthetics.
>>
>>3025831
The Saturn version real meat are the special stages, which actually are better than the main game. The Genesis ones were perfectly worthless. The loading times were a sin against gaming but at least the japanese version fixed it a bit.
>>
>>3025171
EDGE gave Sonic R an 80. Computer & VG gave it an 80 too.
>>
>>3026297

I had the PC version and I've only played the Genesis version since this thread was posted. I actually prefer the Genesis version special stages. They're simple and fun runners, kind of like rhythm games, while the Saturn/PC special stages seemed boring to me because I'd already played the Sonic 2 special stages to death by the time I played 3D Blast, and they were basically the same thing.
>>
>>3026369
The real issue with the genesis special stage is that there's no variation to them. They're pretty much all the same one with a bit more spikes near the end.
>>
>>3025831
>genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smOAFKAuqY

>saturn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doa3j230gk4

>PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Mh3x4iZTI
>>
>>3022227
Sonic Adventure was originally a Saturn game, so most likely you got something very similar to what the saturn version would have played like.

That said, if the Jam engine was even close to the finished product it would have been a load of toss.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.