[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grandia 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Grandia II PAL DC-front.jpg (758KB, 1426x1414px) Image search: [Google]
Grandia II PAL DC-front.jpg
758KB, 1426x1414px
I started playing this for the first time some days ago (pc anniversary edition) and I got hooked really fast. At the beggining I thought it was a really good rpg but about 9 hours in I can't play anymore.

While the graphics are great, the music is really lame, you are going through a cave filled with monsters with the happiest music ever. Also it's linearity is killing me and I can predict what's gonna happen in the story pretty easy. The combat system looked fantastic at first sight but the fights are easy as fuck and you end up with a gazillion coins just to put in skills and magic for no reason, cause as I stated before, is really easy.

Grandia 2 thread I guess, share opinions
>>
You've nailed it, it does not get better.
>>
>>3013047
OP here, could you guys recommend some RPGs, I had a craving for a good RPG and this one disappointed me.

How about the firts one, it's worth playing?
>>
>>3013072
Give it up. None of them are any good.
>>
What I remember about this game is going through dungeons with absolutely no challenge and never spending a single health potion. It was my first jRPG IIRC and it kinda turned me away frok the whole genre, unfortunately.
It took several years before I discovered DQ and other games where you always lack resources and get rekt without saving up mana. I still find NES DQs the most engrossing.

Dinner dialogues were pretty cool, though.
>>
>>3013078
I have to agree about dinner dialogues, wish more games would do things like that.
>>
>>3013072
I've been enjoying Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, the VMU minigame is cool too as you can pick up all kinds of items and port them into your ongoing save. Boxed spells are sweet pickups, have saved my ass a few times already.
>>
>>3013072
I very much liked the first one. It is overall pretty comfy and has a much better storyline. Combat is similar and slightly tougher (still not that hard, thought).
>>
>>3013072
star ocean 2
>>
>>3013047

There's a hard mode just for that you know?
>>
I mean its not that much harder but Legend of the Dragoon is pretty fun.
The First Legend of Legaia game is fun and is defiantly pretty challenging if you dont get the system down pat early on the squeal is much easier but still fun
Rhapsody a musical adventure is fun but so easy that its insulting but the musical numbers are fun and the plot is hilarious
Star ocean 2 was already suggested so I'll just toss a suggestion for 3 out there oh and Arc the Lad 1 &2
>>
>>3013047
sjw
>>
>>3013161
Seconding. This game is like 75% of why I love the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3013047
That's a shame. I've had this game in my queue for a long time, and I've been looking forward to it. This is one of the few negative things I've heard about it.
>>
>>3013072
What do you want out of an RPG? Are you more there for story or exploration and battles? Personally I was very, very disappointed in the Grandia games.
>>
>>3015470
Although if you really want a challenge, play the GC version with all the extra bounty hunter fights and Piastol. Those fights were fuckin' hard, moreso than any of the game's actual final bosses, especially if you put off doing them for a bit so their levels scale against your own. Fuckin' brutal.

I think it was fighting the Ixa' Ness Demons, I had missed fighting them until the very end of the game, and they were unbeatable. Only way I finally managed to do it was to use that item that instantly maxes out your spirit points so I could get a Prophecy on the first turn.
>>
>>3015481
>Personally I was very, very disappointed in the Grandia games.
In what way?
>>
>>3015526
Mostly the first one. It was billed as being all about the thrill of exploration but then every dungeon was both short and extremely linear. Any offshoots from the main path barely went anywhere which made that aspect of it super boring. The dungeons in the Lunar games had been fairly interesting and large so I had high hopes, but it failed that part horribly.

On top of that the story was rote, didn't do much interesting and I found the characters extremely annoying. Especially the little girl, and the in battle voice work was painful.

All that said, the battle system was the most interesting part and probably the reason I stuck with it till the end. But it wasn't enough to elevate it very far.

Gradnia 2 I barely even remember. I tried to get into it, but everything felt very bland and I lost interest quickly. I should note though, I didn't beat a single RPG of the DC/PS2 era. I was pretty burnt out on the genre by then.
>>
>>3013186
This. Hugely preferred the first Grandia to the second.
>>
>>3015015
Yeah I know there's a hard mode, but it was my first run and having no idea about how the game worked ofc I chose normal. I don't feel like restarting all those hours just because it's harder, it would still be the same boring game.
>>
>>3015481
OP here, what I like in rpgs are those towns you have to explore to get items and sidequests, having variety in gameplay via minigames or some parts of the game with inusual events and, while I like the story in rpgs, I don't like to spend 20 minutes doing anything else than reading dialogue everytime I enter a new town/village.

For what I've seen in the thread I think I'll give Skies of Arcadia a try, thanks for the suggestions.

On a side note, how's the state of Dreamcast emulation?
>>
>>3015651
Suikoden and the Dragon Quests sound like they would be up your alley.

My understanding is that DC emulation is still fairly weak.
>>
>>3015651
Just emulate the gamecube version.
>>
>>3013047
I have almost the same opinions but I quite liked the story and characters, however cliched they were. Music was pretty great in some places but I agree about the sound direction. All in all, it's still a pretty fun game.

The battle system is truly a disappointment when there's no need for real strategy. The game really is just plain too easy. Still, Grandia II is still the best Grandia game in terms of the whole package. Xtreme and 3 have better iterations of the battle system but everything else is phenomenally bad.
>>
>not playing for Millenia
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.