[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

but y tho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

File: xeno.gif (29KB, 270x203px) Image search: [Google]
xeno.gif
29KB, 270x203px
why dont RPGs let you fly across an entire planet in spaceships anymore
>>
Too confusing

Hold right to win
>>
Because they want to appeal to western audiences who grew up playing shooters and action games by "keepin' it real" by keeping the camera right on the character's back the whole time.
>>
File: FFVIII_Esthar_WM.png (420KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII_Esthar_WM.png
420KB, 640x480px
in ff8 you could crash into buildings like 911
>>
>>3010932
That keeps it pretty real.
>>
File: FFVII_Ultimate_Weapon_WM.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FFVII_Ultimate_Weapon_WM.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
ff7 had monsters that travelled the map
you could drive cars and ride giant chickens

also;
world map and overworld vehicle appreciation thread
>>
>>3010929
Pretty much yeah.
>>
File: sinairshipfight.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sinairshipfight.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>3010941
ff10 was a pile of crap but the thing i hated most
even more than the voice acting
was its lack of a proper overworld
just imagine if this fight had been initiated the same way as ultimate weapon
or, if when you got the boat to travel the overworld, you always had to be looking out for sin's fin causing waves so as no to get into an early fight with him
i thought these features would become more immersive and interesting as the technology advanced, but instead they were taken away
>>
>>3010927
Sounds like you should play Xenoblade X.
>>
File: Xenogears_Overworld.png (399KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_Overworld.png
399KB, 533x400px
>>3010954
legitimately the only game i want on wiiu
but i cant justify buying a console for one game to myself
if there's anything else worth playing on it in the future then i will definitely get xenoblade
i did like travelling the overworld in mech when i played gears
>>
File: 1441579158177.jpg (593KB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1441579158177.jpg
593KB, 2500x1500px
>>3010927
Building open world maps like those in the psone era of JRPGs would cost a lot.

Plus we want the call of duty audience of the west and we want the otaku audience of the east.
>>
>>3010951
Fuck, you're right, that would have been amazing.

Isn't FFXV sort of bringing the overworld back?

[spoilers]I know in my heart that game is going to be garbage.[/spoilers]
>>
Xenogears was such a pretentious shitstain of a game.
>>
>>3011093

Squeenix will never make anything good again unless it's an accident. I'm waiting for them to fuck up Nier 2 currently.
>>
>>3011109
That'll be hard because it's being developed by Platinum.

Platinum could very well fuck it up. Platinum is either on point or completely misses the mark.
>>
>>3011118

Thought Squeenix managed to weasel their way into an IP claim on Nier as well?

Guess not. I'm slightly more optimistic then.
>>
>>3011135
Cavia is defunkt, but SE doesn't have the rights to it.

Drakengard 3 was done by Access games and published by SE.

Afaik the IP's are just up in the air for bidding from AQ or whatever Cavia's parent company was.
>>
>>3011109
>Squeenix will never make anything good again unless it's an accident.
Bravely Default called.
>>
File: Tales_of_Destiny_II_(PSX)_16.png (93KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tales_of_Destiny_II_(PSX)_16.png
93KB, 640x450px
>>3011109
here's a fun challenge
post worldmaps from games not made by square
>>
File: PC98U0035.png (6KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PC98U0035.png
6KB, 640x480px
Why stop at planetary level?
>>
>>3011172
dude i always wanted a game where the airship could leave the atmosphere and visit nearby celestial bodies like moons or a close-by planet

tilt up and accelerate to leave the atmosphere, and then get pulled in by gravity when you venture close enough to the atmosphere of another

the areas inbetween could have asteroids (like little islands with one cave on them or something) and enemies you could interact with like the WEAPONS in ff7 that swim around in space

i've wanted a game to have that since i was young
>>
>>3011176
That's what Ultima 2 would have been if it didn't suck ass.
You can exit and enter the atmosphere of the planets but space is just a screensaver to input warp codes. Not to mention that the planets are pointless and getting the spaceship is complicated.
>>
>>3011069
I'd totally play a game in Clichéa.

Even more so if I play as a teenage boy who oversleeps at the start and rushes out the door to bump in to a mysterious girl with a pendant.
>>
>>3011168
>Bravely Default called
Yeah, that was an accident, evidenced by the fact that Squeenix didn't expect it to do as well as it did. Also, that owes more to the game engine than the story, because it's padded to hell and back by putting you through a time loop ad nauseum.
>>
>>3010951
Agreed anon. One of the things I miss most about RPGs is just cruising the worlds. It's very sad the more advanced things get the more features we have to sacrifice.
>>
>>3010932
looks like shit with texture filtering
>>
>>3011176
There's always No Man's Sky I guess
>>
Excuse u
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb45yEoqc9U
>>
>>3011289
I seriously doubt that the best FF game to come out in over a decade was "an accident".
>>
>>3011379
>FF game
Haha, I already saw your retarded logic behind this reasoning in another thread. Please don't embarrass yourself further.
>>
>>3011414
>TWO PEOPLE SAID THE SAME THING!
>IT MUST BE THE SAME GUY!
>>
>>3011414
Here's your (you)
>>
>>3010932
My favorite thing about your post is the image size coupled with the content.
>>
>>3011185
I had an idea for a RPG of this nature that skews all the cliches. You star as a guard who is certainly not the choosen saviour. You are woken by your mother opening the curtains and your immediate response to ask why she's in your house. You meet a hot chick with a pendant who immediately calls you a pervert and runs off, calling you stalker for the rest of the game. If you try to talk to the the King he asks why a peasant is talking to him, do it again and you ge thrown in jail, which will also happen if you run into someone's home and take their stuff. More shit like you reach a village where they say the heal people with Magic and herbs, except the magic doesn't help and the herbs just make people trip out and die. There's a foretold prophercy that doesn't come true, a timed sequenced with a meteor or whatever where there's no timer or anything but if you rest it crashes into the planet, of the nature going to sleep while poisoned and the character will die, dead characters CANT be resurrected no matter how much you pay the priest he just says "Oops didn't work", if a party member leaves you can demand your gear back and maybe get into a fight etc etc
>>
>>3011069
The ammount of Tolkein ripoff going on in that pic is staggering.
>>
File: 1423765474434.jpg (151KB, 700x702px) Image search: [Google]
1423765474434.jpg
151KB, 700x702px
>>3011827
>he doesn't get it
>>
>>3011105
Ayyyylmao
>>
>>3011414
The creators have always been very upfront about calling it a Final Fantasy gaiden. That's proof enough for the rest of us.
>>
>>3011069
>>3011827
>"Original Lands"
>>
File: 1453309399439.png (70KB, 162x248px) Image search: [Google]
1453309399439.png
70KB, 162x248px
>>3011904
>second hand hearsay is proof enough for me
>any claim I parrot is right until I'm proven wrong
>>
FFIX had the best overworld travel. I loved how they worked in the chocobo quests, and then later there's all that other hidden shit to find using an airship.

>>3010951
I hate how they tried the best of both worlds by mixing together Pokemon's Fly with shitty coordinates for finding secret places. That just wasn't fun.
>>
Skies of arcadia was pretty cool. Had different levels of the planet to travel and hidden islands to expore. Ship battles, team battles, crew to recruit. Great sound track.
>salty I don't got a sequel to play
>>
File: flat.jpg (923KB, 2165x2295px) Image search: [Google]
flat.jpg
923KB, 2165x2295px
>>3011176
>gravity

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwimocU0IIc
>>
>>3011983
tl;dr it for me, famn
>>
>>3012001
Cant do it under one paragraph sorry:

mathematics comes in two forms: practical and circle jerking novelty. Practical mathematics uses observation and correlation with standard and agreed measurements that produces results. Everything else is theoretical and quirky ways of subjective observations that are thrown for fun, i.e. gravitons, relativity, theory of everything, big bang.

What you see in that pdf is that NASA doesn't count or can take away measurements for curvature, rotation or moving atmosphere of the earth for making accurate aircraft models, for computer applications or real applications. They should because, you know they are responsible for putting out there that we live on a round and spinning planet. I mean they can add the math, but it doesn't reflect observation and thus can neglect it entirely, thats the purpose of that pdf.

A plane moving and staying level with the horizon at 500 miles per hour would shoot off into space. gravity is supposedly very weak to allow leafs to lift off the ground without much difficulty.

Its the same argument that rail road engineers dont take in the math that eventually they should conform to curvature after 30 miles. They really should, but it doesnt reflect real observations.
>>
>>3011171
Just picked this up today.
>>
>>3012159
damn i remember the awesome feeling of folding out an included map with a game and just eyeing up the locales before even booting that shit up, games don't really do that anymore.
>>
>>3012014
But airplanes and boats do take great circle navigation into account when planning long distance routes...
>>
>>3010927
Because it's easier to not let you.
>>
>>3011185
Is that even a cliche? It happened in one game.
>>
File: LemurianShip.png (12KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
LemurianShip.png
12KB, 240x160px
>>3011171
With magical flying ship included.
>>
>>3012216
true, but they fly in straight paths. but next time you are up in a plane note how often you feel that you are constantly descending or feeling the plane adjust. You can feel even the slightest decline or turbulance. Planes do infact stay level and only make slight adjustments until landing. I think the commercial altitude is 45,000 feet. Anyway, if a plane was at that altitude and accelerating to 500mph, they would pass over a curvature or drop of around 32 miles in one hour. This means that the plane would have to constantly descend to make up for curvature otherwise the passengers would fly into space.

Ive flown many times and most were smooth rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E4rXii2h-o
>>
>>3011983
>>3012014
>>3012375
Fuck off.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.