[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SNES Specs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: snes_001.jpg (19KB, 308x250px) Image search: [Google]
snes_001.jpg
19KB, 308x250px
Lets talk specs
>>
The way the sunlight looks on that picture fucks with my mind and makes me think there's actual sunlight crawling through my windowpane
>>
Most consoles don't need glasses.
>>
Why did the SNES have such a weak processor, considering it came out like 2-3 years after the genesis?
>>
It's outclassed by SNES Life Orb sets.
>>
>>3010759
IIRC, Nintendo wanted BC with the original NES for the Super NES, so they used a similar CPU. They dropped that idea, but kept the CPU anyway.
>>
>>3010767

Why does Nintendo have this horrible tendency to half-commit to ideas like this? It's always irritated me. :/
>>
>3mhz cpu
laughing_whores.gif
>>
What's the deal with the 1chip?
And is there a big enough difference between s-video and RGB on a snes to be worth the hassle to upgrade?
>>
>>3010825
>What's the deal with the 1chip?
It's basically an officially sanctioned SNES clone that some people like because it has a really sharp picture. Me? I think it basically shits everything else up in the process.

>And is there a big enough difference between s-video and RGB on a snes to be worth the hassle to upgrade?
It's not absolutely huge, but with RGB you bypass the NTSC/PAL encoder so that itself is good to know.
>>
>>3010767
From what I understand they did want a faster processor (a 68k, even), but backwards compatibility AND cost was a factor in changing it.

>>3010854
>It's basically an officially sanctioned SNES clone

It is a single chip dieshrink of the original hardware.
>>
>>3010864
>It is a single chip dieshrink of the original hardware.

If it were merely a dieshrink it wouldn't have functional differences with the original (such as missing shadows in some games, or glitches in others). It IS a die shrink, but it's also a consolidation of (revised) chips into ASICs.

It is really not too dissimilar to a clone system because it's merely a close approximation of the original hardware. Very very close approximation, as you would expect being done by Nintendo themselves, but an approximation nevertheless. Probably to save on costs to better compete with Sega.
>>
>>3010767
Why didn't they just add a 650x for secondary tasks like Sega did with the Z80?
>>
>>3010884

Increased cost.
>>
>>3010884
Probably because the sound unit already took up all of the manufacturing budget.

But you know that Nintendo are all into prudence when it comes to designing hardware. The N64 wasn't even graced with a dedicated sound chip, the task instead is offloaded to the GPU.
>>
>>3010882
>If it were merely a dieshrink it wouldn't have functional differences with the original

That's not how dieshrinks work. They may have used a different process, the transistors may have different characteristics, it may have been the original hardware that had a defect when compared to the schematics and the new version fixed it, etc. Something like the chips being closer to each other may affect memory and cpu timing.

>It is really not too dissimilar to a clone system because it's merely a close approximation of the original hardware.

It's as much of a clone system as the SNES is compared to the Super Famicom.
>>
File: 1454289551876.jpg (15KB, 169x270px) Image search: [Google]
1454289551876.jpg
15KB, 169x270px
>>3010728
I homebrew on this beast. What do you want to know?
>>
>>3010902
The thing is, we know for example that Nintendo removed an image filtering pass from the 1CHIP hardware. It was a post-process so they could exclude it without breaking anything, but it was one way to make one of the ASICs smaller and cheaper to produce.

You are right that die shrinks typically create new electrical situations, and chip merges into ASICs can affect timing, but the thing is that Nintendo did NOT fully resolve these issues.

When the 1CHIP is accused of being a clone, it doesn't mean it literally, but pejoratively in that it deviates from the original hardware in a larger-than-normal way. Yes, the extra sharpness is indeed great and can make some games look better, but it's a compromised version of the hardware like actual clones usually are.
>>
>>3010907
How difficult is it to learn the assembly to homebrew for SNES? What assembly does the super nintendo use?
>>
>>3010907
Where can the basics of learning can be found?
>>
I've read that NES games run at 256x240 and most SNES games run at only 256x224. Is this true?
>>
>>3010984
NES games run at 256x224 in NTSC countries while a small bunch of games run at 256x240 in PAL territory since they have a larger vertical resolution.

SNES is basically the same, but in PAL territory some games reach 256x239 because that's the tallest SNES allows without interlacing.
>>
>>3010774

I think it's less they half commit and more they half think it through
>>
>>3010759
>>3010759
>>3010759
>Why did the wii and the wii u have such a weak processor, considering it came out after the ps3 and ps4?
>>3010759
>>
>>3011554
To actually answer his question instead of shitposting like a maniac: Nintendo skips out on sheer power to keep production costs down.
>>
>>3011558
It's kinda smart considering Nintendo mainly makes money off of first party, vc, and indie games instead of triple a titles like cod.
>>
File: 1452492550883.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452492550883.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>3010969
>>3010926
Game development on the SNES is a lot of fun. The graphics hardware is manageable in complexity, and the real challenge is avoiding some basic but deadly pitfalls and dealing with engrishly documentation.

Do you have any programming experience? Certain languages like C can be very helpful in understanding how assembly works.

The SNES uses a 65816 core. The processor and language are slightly quirky, but they are a lot of fun to program for.

I would download these things:

1) Programming the 65816 (very good and pedantic bible of the 65xx family):
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/images/7/76/Programmanual.pdf

2) Official SNES dev manual (Engrishy, but essential. Print it out):
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/226/

3) Anomie's SNES docs (Not engrishy, and more technical than the dev docs)
http://www.romhacking.net/community/548/

4) Geiger's Snes9x debugging emulator:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/241/

5) And your favorite game.

Run the game. Examine memory. Trace code. All while goofing off. Try to understand the general structure of video game programs from the dev manual and traces of your game. Also try to locate specific data that you want to get at using breakpoints, and see what happens when you edit/corrupt memory.

Once you've done some of these things, come back with questions about what you saw and we'll talk.
>>
>>3010734
Are you sleep deprived?
>>
>>3011730
I'm not that guy but, what about to code things from scratch? What software would you use to edit, compile, etc?
>>
>>3010854
So you don't think it's worth getting over an original then? Most of the negative stuff I see about it is random tiny details in games I don't care about like missing shadows in that shooting game, and random glitches at the very top of the screen, which is easily fixed with a tiny bit of overscan
>>
>>3010734

thanks for letting us know that you're retarded.
>>
>>3012039
I just think the original is more consistent. 1CHIP extra sharpness looks better in some games and worse in others. It's personal preference overall, there's no bad revision of the SNES.

But the people who say that nothing is good except 1CHIP are wrong.
>>
>>3012164
Any examples of games that look worse on the 1chip? The only game I've seen screenshots of is alttp, which looks great.

Gonna be buying a super famicom soon and there's way more shit to take into consideration than I would have expected
>>
>>3010736
underappreciated post
>>
>>3012176
Haven't played my SNES for a while but Mystic Quest, already not a good looking game, looks positively hideous on 1CHIP.

There are more examples but on the flip side LttP is certainly one of the stronger ones for 1CHIP.
>>
>>3010759
>considering it came out like 2-3

nope

on that note, why is the genesis sound so shitty?
>>
>>3012229
You do realize the Super Famicom did actually come out between 2 and 3 years after the Mega Drive right?
>>
>>3010767
So the shitty doom port could've had a somewhat good framerate?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.