[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miss the D-Pad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

File: gaming-patents-nintendo-dpad.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
gaming-patents-nintendo-dpad.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
Personally I still think the D-Pad is the best thing to control with.

Anolog Stick are also good, but a little too sensetive for my taste, and Touch Controls suck ass.

Anyone else feeling the same way?
>>
No.

D-pad is great for games designed around it, so is the analog stick and so are *gasp* touch controls. Even *gasp* motion controls.

Fuck you and your shitty nostalgia.
>>
>>3010393
Analog Stick was thought for 3D games, D-Pad for 2D
>>
Are those the only options you know of?
>>
>>3010393
I'm with you OP, never grew accustomed to analog sticks or stick in general, I even play FG with the D-Pad.
>>
>>3010393
No there are definitely many games that benefit from the analogue stick. Reminds me of the time when my PS-owning friends would ask things like "where's the run button?" when playing Mario 64. Or using the analogue stick like a D pad when playing racing games - continually flicking the stick in a form of "pulse width modulation" to steer.
>>
>>3010393
Yes OP. Ever since the iPhone one came out, my first thought was "no tactile feedback? fuck that" and sure touchscreens are OK for typing and better than mouse for some things, but gaming isn't one of them.

The only good touchscreen controls are super basic left-right and one or two buttons, well spaced out, like Tiny Dangerous Dungeons or League Of Evil, or with swipe controls which don't interfere with gameplay.

Using a touchscreen to control a fast-paced D-Pad game like Megaman is a complete and utter failure. The huge market in Bluetooth controllers proves that this is right.
>>
>>3010393
Why do you miss it? Most modern controllers still have d pads
>>
Are there any good gamepads for 2D games? I have a USB XBox 360 pad but even Super Mario World is unplayable with it.
>>
>>3010543
Yeah, the fightpads released for the 360 and ps3 were usb, I think there was a new batch mzde for 5. Also a bunch of usb repros of saturn and snes controllers, as well as usb adapters.
>>
8way > 4way
>>
this desu senpai
(or even just the keyboard)
>>
>>3010647
That's the most phallic stick I've ever seen.
>>
File: Fighting Cemmander.jpg (52KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Cemmander.jpg
52KB, 1000x600px
>>3010543
Hori's current dpads are great.
>>
File: lVa1V.png (58KB, 750x540px) Image search: [Google]
lVa1V.png
58KB, 750x540px
i miss digital moving in console shooters.
it took some time, but when devs figured out how to do shooter controls with it, this was what the n64 pad was made to do.
>>
>>3011014
Oh wow. I would have loved using this to play fighters on PlayStation as a a kid.
>>
>>3011152
>1 button to switch weapons

So, we can thank N64 Goldeneye for ruining FPS games.
>>
File: z2020lessgun.jpg (8KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
z2020lessgun.jpg
8KB, 320x240px
>>3011178
Was the button held web-like inventory switching from Goldeneye or Perfect Dark?
>>
>>3010393
The dpad is still around. Don't think it's going anywhere.

Maybe with Nintendo's NX but that's rumor.
>>
>>3011212
Nope. Cycle through style.
>>
>>3011212
Perfect Dark, Goldeneye had A+Z to switch backwards.
>>
>>3011178
turok 2 had a nice weapon wheel for quick access to everything using just one button. Not sure why more games didn't use that.
>>
The D-pad is very good. it's all on context. Tomb Raider for instance, I use the DPad and i love it. Analog is less reliable as the tension goes away over time. For Croc I tend to also use the Dpad more often than the analog sticks
>>
Nope. D-Pad for 2D Anolog for 3D. Use the right tool for the right job.
>>
>>3011152
Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (and Time Splitters I suppose) are the only console FPSs I can play. The rest of them do controls all wrong. I tried Halo once and the controls made it unplayable.

I think the key is being able to hold the R button to aim, which takes the absolute position of the stick and maps it directly to the screen.
>>
The problem is the focus on analog sticks to the exclusion of all else, even for 2D games. That's what really pisses me off, Smash Bros didn't get d-pad support until the Wii and even then people were so used to using analog sticks most people just wrote it off.
>>
dpad sucks. it's only good for menus and retro games.
>>
>>3011320
How to spot the underageb& in one post.
>>
Sticks are fine if it's a slow paced game, where you can afford to give it the gentle and delicate nudges to precisely control your character. But in an action game it's just too chaotic and in the heat of the moment you end up jerk it a millimeter too far and lose the tight control you need. D-pads all the way for 90% of games.
>>
>>3011325
I do agree with you for the most part, but think of a game like smash bros melee, it uses the analog stick but competitive players can still be extremely quick and precise with it
>>
>>3010393
The clicky D-pad on the fat Nintendo DS is the best d-pad in the history of ever.
>>
>>3011332
It's a little small imo, and I don't have huge hands.
>>
>>3010543
Xbone
>>
>>3010393
>>3010405
>>3011253
>>3011325
>Anolog Stick are also good, but a little too sensetive
You guys are talking about modern games and controllers that have deadzones. The sensitivity is something that's there by design.

Analog sticks weren't standard till the PS2. PS1 had its DualShock but not many games used it. It's an analog stick so suffers the same faults as the modern controllers.

Saturn (3d controller) and N64 don't use analog sticks so don't have this problem. Some games may be more sensitive than others. Like some of the Rare games. Those sticks have no deadzone and full range of use from center to gate edge.

The analog problem has been mostly solved by modern devs using gyro controls. Gyro controls that actual work and are responsive. The best way to move a 3d character around now.
>>3011332
>>3011337
XBone controller uses tactile switches also. It's really nice.
>>
>>3011362
Apple II, Atari 5200 and IBM PC had analog joysticks.
>>
>>3011369
I don't care much about old computer tech so I don't know. I'd assume they aren't though. They're probably like the Atari sticks.
>>
>>3011323
how to spot the only reasonable person in this thread who is not retarded, you mean
? Have even read what it said? There is nothing controversial about this statement.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 416x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 416x354px
Best dpad coming through.
>>
>>3011572
looks like xbox 360 dpad- kek
>>
>>3010396

8 year olds really need to get off this board
>>
>>3011595
Underage pls go. If you've never used the Saturn pad you shouldn't be here.
>>
>>3010393

like "squishy" controls. Nintendo and Sega had controllers you could squeeze and squish comfortably.

Ever since the Playstation showed up every controllet got too "hard" and clicky. Sony ruined video games IMO
>>
For 2D, the dpad is gold. I wouldn't want to play 3D platformers with it though.
>>
>>3011607
I don't know what you mean. As a matter of fact Genesis and SNES controllers wear immensely over the time so you really have to push them, and if you wanted to just lightly press them they wouldn't register at all, while PS1 controllers work just as new, with an exception on Start and Select, those are prone to wear, as with the analog button.
>>
>>3011606
you're just butthurt that it resembles the worst controller with the worst d-pad.
>>
I just miss dpads of old, mostly.

Even Nintendo's current lot of dpads leaves so much to be desired. The one on the Wii U's gamepad is too stiff and requires way to much effort to depress. It also feels huge by comparison, even though it's quite literally the same size as an SNES dpad.

Although I did like the dpad on the Classic controller. It just felt right. Still does. Beyond that, I quite liked the dpad on the GBMicro, as well.
>>
>>3011776
still searching for the ultimate d-pad up to this day
>>
>>3011901
There's a SNES USB knockoff made by buffalo or whoever that has a pretty good Dpad.

Best Dpad I ever used was a Saitek p990, and this includes console and PC platform; that thing's Dpad was amazing. Unfortunately the thing crapped out on me, though. I got rid of it since I couldn't use it, but I kind of wish I would have held onto it just for old time's sake.
>>
>>3011320
>>3011320
>only good for retro games

you mean like the ones we discuss on this board?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Non-slip surface
>>
File: 1437182602077.gif (1MB, 268x311px) Image search: [Google]
1437182602077.gif
1MB, 268x311px
>>3012053
Jesus christ man, what about your poor thumb skin?
>>
>>3010393
I too am a lover of a good D-pad with that gameboy like soft-snap.

I dig it all tho, baby. Thumbsticks, skates, touch, motion. If it feels good, it feels good.
>>
>>3010396
haha daaaaaaamn.
>>
>>3012053
FFFFFFFFFFUCK YOU
>>
>>3011607
Yeah, everyone got big on crispy, snappy chicklet buttons. I like the ps4's d-pad tho.
>>
>>3011331
not to mention that the game makes use of the analog inputs with things like fire fox trajectory and directional influence. if analog is imprecise it's probably the user or maybe a malfunction.
>>
>>3012057
if ur thumbs and palms arnt calussd from ur gamin then u not gamin enuff
>>
>>3012053
thanks, satan
>>
I really want to get a good controller for 2D games but I can't make up my mind from all of the choices. Leaning towards Sega Saturn but am not sure if the adapter will introduce input lag for fighting games and shoot 'em ups. What would you guys recommend? Apologies for my scrubbiness.
>>
>>3011014
Ok, no one will care, but...who the heck creates a gamepad render even with the internal guides for buttons?
>>
>>3010393
Analog sticks are for people who like playing around with knobs, if you catch my drift.
>>
>>3013307

You don't whack off? You molest alter boys to relieve your sexual frustrations instead?
>>
>>3011325
If you have trouble being precise with an analog stick it means you're bad at the game.
>>
>>3013334
word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd816VgvaFo
>>
>>3013334
>>3013341
N64 doesn't use an analog stick
>>
>>3013349
>analog

not sure we agree on the definition of this word.
>>
File: d8wE1pk.png (11KB, 374x80px) Image search: [Google]
d8wE1pk.png
11KB, 374x80px
>>3013349
pretty sure it does tho
>>
>>3013353
Not sure what there is to disagree on. N64 is very different to modern controllers that use analog sticks.

The N64 used optical sensors instead of pots.
>>
>>3013359
Might want to read the rest of that definition instead of cherry picking that first sentence.
>>
>>3010396
Go back to /v/, faggot.
>>
>>3013370
He speaks the truth you delusional nostalgia faggot. >>3013370
>>
>>3013413
Nah, touch controls and motion controls lend themselves to shitty gimmick based gameplay in a way that joysticks and dpads don't. That's not to say they'll be bad forever, but as of now there haven't been any good games that utilize motion or touch screen control as a primary mechanic.
>>
>>3013365
That's literally the entire definition that appears when you google search "analog stick."
>>
>>3013349
Does it not? It's not digital is it? I remember pushing it just a little bit to make a character walk and all the way to the gate to get them to run.
>>
>>3013937
>An analog stick, sometimes called a control stick, joy stick or thumbstick, is an input device for a controller (often a game controller) that is used for two-dimensional input. An analog stick is a variation of a joystick, consisting of a protrusion from the controller; input is based on the position of this protrusion in relation to the default "center" position. While digital sticks rely on single electrical connections for movement (using internal digital electrical contacts for up, down, left and right), analog sticks use continuous electrical activity running through potentiometers.
>>
>>3014016
Just because it uses optical encoders doesn't mean it's not outputting an analogue signal. I wouldn't get too hung up on the "potentiometer" section of that.

We usually talk about controls in terms of being digital (pushed or not pushed), and analogue (some interval of pushed all the way or not at all in whichever direction).
>>
>>3010393

i agree with you 100%.

this shit is just like how remote controls can't all just agree on a similar layout.
>>
>>3014021
If you want to ignore it that's fine. The sticks on the N64 and Saturn work very different to analog sticks that use pots. A potentiometer doesn't have a linear resistance rate.

Optical does and I believe magnets do too. At the very least they're far flatter then anything a pot can provide.
>>
>>3014028
I mean, I guess if you really want to pick nits you could say that the optical encoders are just many many digital steps, but you could say the same thing about the potentiometer by looking at the sample rate.

The point is that the motion of the shaft is converted to an analogue signal, end of story. Nobody's denying that it's different tech with different properties, but as far as the game system is concerned it's analogue.

It definitely doesn't count as digital, and it seems superfluous to try and categorize into "digital" "analogue" and "analogue but using different hardware than we usually see."
>>
>>3014035
Have you played with either of those controllers? They have zero deadzone.

Essentially the same as using rubber domes vs tactile switches. Both achieve the same result. Tactile switches are far better. Unless you're weird and like mush.
>>
>>3014040
Whether tactile or rubber dome switches are better or worse than each other, they're both squarely in the digital category.

I'm not saying anything about whether optical encoders for a joystick are better or worse for gaming applications, just that they're analogue.
>>
>>3014046
>optical encoders
>analogue
Optical encoders are digital.
>>
>>3014051
Alright dude.
>>
>>3014040
People like deadzone?

Deadzone is literally the reason I can't play Super Mario 64 on virtual console. It's a fucking joke how terrible and imprecise it is compared to playing on an N64 with an N64 controller.
>>
>>3014046
I brought up the rubber dome vs tactile switch to show the point they aren't same. Not for you to straw man the argument into them both being digital.

Optical senors aren't analog. They may convert to analog.
>>
>>3014062
I'm aware they're not the same, they're two different technologies that achieve the same result.

Just like potentiometers, hall-effect sensors, and rotary encoders.

That's all the internet arguing I can take, I'm out and someone else can figure it out.
>>
>>3014072
Do you not understand that potentiometers used in modern controllers are analog components?
>>
>>3014056
That's a problem with the software, not controller. On PC the deadzone setting is always configurable for controllers.
>>
>>3011596
>>3012065
>>3013370
He is right though, apart from the nostalgia thing which was obviously a troll tactic. But games designed around different control schemes are usually good unless they're shoehorned in as an afterthought. See: Wii.
>>
>>3014085
There's very few games that you can adjust that in. The best analog stick controllers still have some kind of deadzone.

Most games just have 3 points programmed so even if you have a stick with zero deadzone it doesn't matter.
center to outside of deadzone being no command input.

outside of deadzone to whatever. Middle moment. ie walking.

whatever to whatever or outside gate. Max. ie running
You can't get past the software deadzone.
>>
>>3014097
They're configurable in most emulators at least.
>>
>>3014097
After a second of googling I found an app that lets you set the deadzone for xinput controllers.

https://github.com/KrossX/Durazno
>>
>>3014125
Ok?
>>
>>3014127
enjoy motherfucker
>>
>>3014128
I think you're confused or can't read. Either way you're an idiot.
>>
>>3014130
okay then don't enjoy motherfucker
>>
>>3014130
At least it would bypass any driver related deadzone regardless of the game settings?
>>
>>3014139
No idea. I'd assume it could. Still have the deadzone of the hardware itself.

It's a lot of effort and incompatibility problems for pretty minimal gain.
>>
>>3013931
well then play skyword swords with your fucking dpad. topkek bra
>>
>>3014193
Why would I? Every single person I know who has played through Skyward sword says it sucks shit and I have no desire to pay money to try it myself.
>>
>>3014214
now imagine playing it with dpad. it would suck even more. its almost unplayable with analog sticks. now imagine with your dear dpad.
>>
>>3014214
I dont think most people hate it for the motion controls, which is the issue here.
>>
>>3014193
>>3014214
>>3014226
SS forces waggle. No idea what you two are arguing about.
>>
>>3014234
>No idea what you two are arguing about.
the idea that games designed with motion controls in mind suck when played with analog stick and suck even more with dpad.
>>
>>3014236
And also suck with motion controls.
>>
>>3014236
>>3014242
Waggle shit is trash so no idea what the point of that argument is.
>>
>>3014251
Are you retraded? Only the initial Wii remote was wiggle trash, which was featured in twilight's princess wii version. They upgraded the senors for skyward sword with the motion plus and they're a lot better.
>>
>>3014256
Isn't tonight a school night?

It's time for bed.
>>
>>3014257
Can't form an argument so I'm just going to refute to calling someone a kid, nice work bro. It doesn't take a genius to figure out not all motion controls are the same.
>>
>>3014261
There's no argument for waggle shit, kiddo.
>>
>>3014265
Fine, I wasn't in the mood to argue with a retard over something pointless either. How's it feel to be born stupid?
>>
>>3014269
Well I'm not the dumb kid attempting to support a control technology that nobody supports anymore including Nintendo.

DLC, online paywalls, etc all the cancer of modern games. Nothing was as bad as the waggle shit fad. Thankfully these companies came to their senses and dropped waggle shit.
>>
>>3014275
It seems like they're trying to introduce alternative control methods again with the upcoming VR fad.
>>
>>3011595
It may not look it but it's beautifully smooth and responsive, not like the spongy crap the 360 had. Although Microsoft did improve the D-pad on the Xbone by a wide margin.
>>
File: 1303029206797.jpg (89KB, 526x387px) Image search: [Google]
1303029206797.jpg
89KB, 526x387px
>>3010396
>Fuck you and your shitty nostalgia.

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>3014280
VR has been a thing since at least the 80s. Only now do we have sensors that are affordable and good enough to work for it. Same with displays.

It's not really a control gimmick. Different display tech.
>>
>>3014287
Valve's big selling point for Vive is the roomscale tracking which can track all your movements - head, hands, body - over a 15 x 15 foot space so in a sense you become the controller. That means you can duck, dive and turn around in a virtual space but also means it might make more sense to stand up as you play.
>>
>>3014305
That's not really new tech,
>>
>>3014285
You sound like tumblr
>Where do you think you are?
>muh safe space
>muh /vr/ hugbox
>black people can't be racist. only white people can
>analog controls cant be good. only dpad is good.
>>
File: worstdpad.jpg (7KB, 350x185px) Image search: [Google]
worstdpad.jpg
7KB, 350x185px
>>3011658
And you're just plain wrong, kid. Go suck your papa's milk.
>>
>>3015751
>>3011658
>>3011606
>>3011595
>>3011572

360 goes full retard with screws. It's taller and the shape is trash. It also uses a nipple for it's pivot. That's what makes

The Saturn dpad rests on a dome for its pivot.

Both 2 piece designs though. 360 uses screws.
>>
>>3010393
D-Pad for games with digital controls
Analog stick for games with analog controls.

Is that so hard? It's kind of like the keyboard and mouse vs controller "debate." Different controls work for different games.
>>
>>3015853
There aren't many other ways to make a dpad while trying to get past nintendo's patent for it. I bet half the people here haven't even used a saturn controller.
>>
>>3015864
Try probably 90%. Especially with /vr/ now.

Microsoft just copies Nintendo's design now though. That's what the XBone uses. Which is excellent for me to use on the PC. One piece single pivot cross on tactile switches.
>>
>>3014051
That pic is awesome.
>>
>>3011572
Sega d-pads in general are amazing. It's a shame they stepped away from the circle style pad with the Dreamcast though.
>>
>>3015864
Hasn't that patent expired by now? G&W Donkey Kong was released in 82.
>>
N64 joystick had a godly, soft and big d-pad. All other dpads besides the NES will dig into your thumb hurting like a bitch.
>>
>>3015952
>patents
>expiring ever
>>
>>3016075
Patents expire after 20 years in most civilized countries.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.