[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

I absolutely fucking hate that pre-rendered 3D model bullshit which became popular towards the end of the 16-Bit era.

It makes me feel ill to even look at it.

When does /vr reckon 16-Bit graphics peaked before going down the shitter? Artistically or technically?
>>
File: 2437503-2765356681-26848.gif (41KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
2437503-2765356681-26848.gif
41KB, 640x448px
Artistic and technical.
>>
File: treetoptowndetail-copy.jpg (119KB, 951x295px) Image search: [Google]
treetoptowndetail-copy.jpg
119KB, 951x295px
I dunno, I think it looks good at the correct resolution, on a CRT display.

I still probably like traditional sprites better, but I have nothing against pre-rendered ones.

I think most people will say 2D graphics peaked on Metal Slug series.
I love the big, baroque detailed sprites and how it's animated, but sometimes I wish the color palette was broader.
>>
File: Yoshi-Layers.png (23KB, 512x416px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshi-Layers.png
23KB, 512x416px
Yoshi's Island would get a shout artistically.
>>
Capcom were doing some fine work at that time.
>>
>>3009459
I always liked it and it looks even better now with the Mario and Luigi series
Though I found it weird we never saw them eventually do remasters/remakes with full 3d
>>
>>3009459

You might have autism. Everybody loved the way the DKC games looked when they were released and they still hold up incredibly well today.
>>
File: Megadrive_another_world.png (5KB, 560x352px) Image search: [Google]
Megadrive_another_world.png
5KB, 560x352px
Techically, Another World was very impressive back then and seemed like a massive step forward for gfx.
>>
>>3009527
No I've always hated pre-rendered 3D. Worst of both worlds.
>>
>>3009523
I can't help but think that Super Mario RPG would be a lot more appealing without the ugly pre-rendering.
>>
>>3009527
Prerendered graphics sacrifices the major benefit of pixel art: faked higher resolution by treating pixels as rectangles instead of points (same as font hinting). DK style prerendered graphics are far too low resolution to look good, and if the hardware could do higher resolution it could also do superior realtime 3D, so there's really no reason for prerendered 3D to exist.
>>
File: Mystic cave.png (1MB, 5120x3584px) Image search: [Google]
Mystic cave.png
1MB, 5120x3584px
>>3009468
>>
>>3009579
Genesis had better graphics than the SNES, partly because of the higher resolution, partly because the limited color palette encouraged graphic design that was better suited to pixel art.
>>
>>3009468
While I do prefer pure pixel start, Sonic art style is just ugly IMO. It looks like everything is made of plastic and the elements don't blend well together.
>>
>>3009572
all this pseudo technical nonsense ultimately fails when you actually play any of DKC games. they just look good.
you may have a shit taste and try to deny it with as much shit talk you feel like, but anyone in their right mind would recognize the artistical appeal in it.
>>
>>3009551
I actually think it looked really good myself
>>
>>3009598
>this is what Genesis fags actually believe

Your systems have always been for the social rejects.
>>
>>3009675
I agree with him bro. Pre-rendered graphics like DKC are fucking vomit inducing shyte.
>>
>>3009695
It's sickening, to be perfectly honest.
>>
>>3009662
>Sonic art style is just ugly IMO. It looks like everything is made of plastic

That look actually appealed to me, and when I was a little kid I rationalized it as "Robotnik must have roboticized the enire world!"
>>
>>3009598
>limited color palette encouraged graphic design that was better suited to pixel art.

Yeah, either that or fuckugly dithering everywhere.
>>
>>3009532
Ooh, I really like this. Could you give me any more info on the game?
>>
Looks great with a realistic style

Maybe you manbabbies should try a game that wasn't designed for 5 year olds.
>>
>>3009845

He gave you the fucking name of it and a console it was released on, how badly do you need to be spoon fed?
>>
>>3009532
I fucking love this goddamn game, holy shit. So glad to have found an SNES copy some years ago. Bought the PC version some time before that, but it didn't have the music that was added to the SNES version; no nostalgia boner tickled.

>>3009845
It's Another World, a.k.a. Out of This World, by Interplay (RIP). It's a side-scrolling adventure game touting "it's just like you're playing a movie!" which fits. No life meter, no dialogue, just you trapped on a hostile alien planet. Very distinct art style.

It was on PC, SNES, 3DO, and maybe Genesis, I think. Had a sequel called Heart of the Alien on Sega CD, where you play as one of the good aliens, and there was the spiritual sequel Flashback, which is also very good.

If you ever see this game, get it.
>>
>>3009598
>Genesis had better graphics than the SNES

Is this a new meme I don't know about?
>>
>>3009968
>go to a discussion board
>try to start a discussion
>Get mocked
>>
>>3010697
Ignore the faggots.

There's still plenty of people on this board who will indulge in polite conversation without acting like a /b/tard.
>>
>>3009823
Exactly my thought too. Still looks ugly
>>
>>3009489
That and the Mario cry/chasing have kept me away from the game. I still have it to this day. I know it's supposed to be good. I.... I just don't know if I can do it
>>
>>3009459

I think you're all fucking bugshit; videogame graphics didn't well and truly fuck the shark until 7th gen. At that moment, everything became a grimy grey desaturated sack of shit with creepy realdoll-esque skin textures and never looked back.
>>
>>3009459
You're full of shit.

Pre-rendered 3D model is aesthetically better. It makes me foam at the mouth just looking at that beautiful stuff. Unlike early gen games such as SMW, which look flat and uninspired by comparison. Now fuck off, don't make a post pretending everyone feels the same way you do.
>>
Did Rare keep hold of the original CGI assets for the DKC trilogy? They probably did given what they said in the Rare Replay interviews.

It's a shame we'll never see HD remakes because of the copyright issues between Nintendo and Microsoft.
>>
>>3011121

Would be amazing, but people would complain about "rehash".

At least the DKCR games are good, especially TF
>>
>>3011053
>the Mario cry/chasing have kept me away from the game
I haven't even been here that long and already I'm sick of people saying that. Just don't upset the baby, as you would with a real one. What better incentive could you have to git gud?
>>
>>3011121
There's an interview on some fansite (maybe dkvine?) with one of the DKC GBA devs who said they uncovered a bunch of original floppies from the SNES games when looking for the old assets. Apparently they couldn't understand the file extensions or something so they ended up getting their artists to rip every level from the trilogy with ZSNES screenshots and piecing them together manually for the GBA ports.
>>
File: demon front 2002.gif (2MB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
demon front 2002.gif
2MB, 500x368px
>>3009598
>limited color palette encouraged graphic design that was better suited to pixel art
That is retarded.

>>3011053
Recently played through the entire game. Heard Mario's cry 5 times. How fucking bad a video games are you? Can you even beat Kirby?

>>3009474
>I think most people will say 2D graphics peaked on Metal Slug series.
Straight 2D graphics are getting better and better every day. Pixel art probably peaked around 2000 with the last sprite based arcades. I've seen some from 2002 which are gorgeous, but casuals wouldn't know them.
And really, pixel art should not be judged entirely by detail. That would not only discredet all the great looking games on weaker systems or fantastic games with small sprites like Lemmings, but it's inherently flawed, because pixel art is not meant to show detail or realism.

>>3009468
>>3009579
>>3009662
The geometrical look of Sonic. Reminds me of the early polygonal days when everything looked so inorganic. But the cave looks seriously good.

>>3009551
One of the few prerender games I like, along Rendering Ranger. Mario and Luigi on GBA looks way better though.

>>3009532
It was and is beautiful. Damn good art direction. I really like the backgrounds in the 3DO version.
https://youtu.be/HgnynloEpeU

>>3009675
It is ugly. Looks like plastic. Meant for kids who are too old for the cartoon pixel art.

>>3009971
>spiritual sequel Flashback
Unrelated game by the same developer.

>>3010697
>>3010918
He is not starting a conversation. He is asking for information that is readily available else where. And what are you even doing on this board if you don't know about such a quintessential game. Lurk more.

>>3011104
SMW is a very early game and the visuals are just supposed to get the job done. Nobody has ever praised a 2D main Mario game for it's art direction. SMB1 is fucking ugly. As most NES games that try to be bright and colorful.
>>
>>3011335
>Recently played through the entire game. Heard Mario's cry 5 times. How fucking bad a video games are you? Can you even beat Kirby?

Don't attack a person's ability.
>>
File: 1453369767040.png (137KB, 273x266px) Image search: [Google]
1453369767040.png
137KB, 273x266px
>spend dozens of hours trying to rip 3D models from various emulators before finding out everything is rendered in 2D.
>>
>>3011392
This, it's not anon's fault he's actually retarded. That's being mean to disabled persons.
>>
>>3011410
But he wouldn't be classified as retarded or disabled, just not good at videogames.
>>
>>3009662
SHIT TASTE

SHIT
H
I
T

TASTE
A
S
T
E
>>
>>3009474
>I think most people will say 2D graphics peaked on Metal Slug series.
SNK shit generally looked awesome
Samurai Shodown 3 is an unsung epic when it comes to this imo

As for 2D graphics yeah deffo peaked with the Metal Slug series
Though there's this new retro-styled game called "Cuphead" which looks amazing...it's being done like an oldschool cartoon from the 30s using much of the same processes from back then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJszILRT_D4
>>
File: pixart_03.gif (3MB, 442x421px) Image search: [Google]
pixart_03.gif
3MB, 442x421px
>>3009459
It's not the 3d that's the problem, it's the they they're rendered. With better lighting and a couple filters it'd look amazing - pic related
>>
>>3011124
>At least the DKCR games are good, especially TF
What's this meme about anyway? Both are bad, and I don't see how TF "fixed" any of the flaws in DKCR outside of not having motion controls for rolling. Still shit physics, still shit controls, still shit level designs. Retro should never be allowed to touch DK series again
>>
>>3009598
example looks like shit and dithering sucks cocks
>>
I just came in to say again just how much I love the 3d prerendered look in games like DKC. After all this time they've aged really well and look immaculate. There are so many types of early 3D that look awful now, but these look absolutely sublime, and only a pretentious hipster faggot with something huge lodged in their anus would think otherwise.
>>
>>3012785

I think they main problem is that they emulate the games on LCD screens at ridiculous resolutions, when there graphics only work at the correct one, preferably on tube screens.

Look at OP's picture in full size, then look >>3009474
>>
>>3012684
That cuphead style of graphics looks fucking incredible.
>>
>>3009489
That looks as shit as pre-rendered 3D.
>>
>>3012816
It's like a childhood dream come true for me
I never thought it would actually happen
>>
>>3012793
I'm pretty sure the OP has seen the game on a CRT before
>>
>>3012816
Reminds me of those fucking terrifying cartoons from those VHS compilations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT4M2UrDFUs
>>
>>3009527
Proof right here that "autism" means "you disagree with me."
>>
>>3012864

I wouldn't see how you would be so sure, unless you're OP.
Still, even if it isn't OP's case, it's the case for the majority of people who play these games for the first time. Most people own LCDs now.

Anyway, if that's the case, then it's a matter of personal, subjective taste and nothing really worth discussing other than "I like it and you don't"
>>
>>3011335

excuse my ignorance but what game is this?
>>
>>3012885
Read the file name you faggot.
>>
>>3009598
>Genesis had better graphics than SNES
Not really, often different styles though.
>Limited color palette
Limits seem to spark creativity.
>>
>>3012750
Except that looks like total ass because the renderer makes godawful decisions on where to put stray pixels. It's an insult to pixel art.
>>
3d pre rendered is awesome, uncanny valley at its finest. 2d is overrated.

>>3011335

>the attention whore who has to reply to every post in the thread
>>
>>3013006
>2d is overrated.
overrated =! bad

Anyways, it's "overrated" for good reason.
>>
File: 1353623432466.jpg (52KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
1353623432466.jpg
52KB, 500x483px
>>3011335
>but casuals wouldn't know them.
>>
>>3012991
>It's an insult to pixel art
Behead those who insult pixel art!
>>
>>3009459

pre-rendered shit looks awful on lcds.

looks great on a crt.
>>
I want pre rendered spites to make a comeback. Artistically disconnecting the lighting for all objects on screen and making everything static is the basis for bringing back the aesthetics of the old DK. Improve stuff like using special effects for fog and sunshafts, but the game would play like a beautiful painting in motion. That's what my ideal modern DKC game is.

Also returning Krmelings. Original tracks. No remix bullshit. More ambient levels. Bring back DK coins. No more of that find bonus coins/ banana coins bullshit. No cinematic breaking sections crap like in the Wii games. Charmful animal buddies and enemies. I want this all back.
>>
>>3011335
>replying to every post in the thread
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.