[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gameboy Family General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 41

File: gameboys.jpg (16KB, 405x180px) Image search: [Google]
gameboys.jpg
16KB, 405x180px
Discuss the greatest and not so greatest games for

>Gameboy
>Gameboy Color
>Gameboy Advance

My favorite games for each are Megaman V, Wario Land 3, and Sonic Advance.

Virtual Boy games welcome also.
>>
>Gameboy Advance
No
>>
>>3009238
>Sonic Advance.
These games are the only true successors to the original Sonic games.
>>
Please, just accept that the GBA is not retro and stop shit posting.
>>
>>3009242
GBA is a more retro system than the Dreamcast:

GBA:
>CPU: 16.8 MHz 32-bit ARM7TDMI with embedded memory. 8 or 4 MHz 8-bit Z80 coprocessor for Game Boy backward compatibility.

>Memory: 32 kilobyte + 96 kilobyte VRAM (internal to the CPU), 256 kilobyte DRAM (outside the CPU).

>Resolution: 240 × 160 pixels (3:2 aspect ratio).

>Color support: 15-bit BGR (5 bits depth per channel), capable of displaying 512 simultaneous colors in "character mode" and 32,768 simultaneous colors in "bitmap mode".

>Sound: Dual 8-bit DAC for stereo sound (called Direct Sound), plus all legacy channels from Game Boy. The new DACs can be used to play back streams of wave data, or can be used to output multiple wave samples processed/mixed in software by the CPU.

versus Dreamcast:

>CPU:Hitachi 128 bit graphics engine with an on-board RISC processor SH4 (operating frequency of 200MHz 360 MIPS/1.4 GFLOPS). The SH4 is optimized for floating point calculations (key to 3D) and is four times faster than the Pentium II.

>Graphics Chip:NEC PowerVR2 (rendering capacity: over 3 million polygons per second),which outperforms today's most advanced arcade systems at 480p

>Hardware Graphic Effects:Bump mapping, Triangular / Quad Engine, real-time lighting, fog, scaling, rotation, alpha-blending, trilinear filtering, super sampling anti-aliasing, texture filtering, perspective correction, ARGB gouraud shading, MIP-mapping: point, bilinear, trilinear, anisotropic environment mapping, specular effects.

>Sound Processor:32-bit Yamaha Super Intelligent Sound Processor (simultaneously articulates 64 sounds), which is as powerful (alone) as some next generation consoles.

>RAM: 16MByte (64Mbit SD-RAM x 2) main system, 8MB of VRAM and 2MB for Audio RAM. 26MB RAM total.

>Modem:A built-in 33.6Kbps modem with full support for V34, V42 and MNP5. It can be upgraded

Deal with it.
>>
File: 2261407-gzle01_30.png (943KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2261407-gzle01_30.png
943KB, 1440x1080px
>>3009257
>retro

HAHAHAHA oh wow
>>
That the GBA isn't allowed on this board when it's more or less a portable SNES yet Dreamcast is allowed when it's an even more powerful system than the PS2 is astounding.
>>
>>3009272
>>3009257
As explained in every one of your shitter's meta threads.

DC is an exception. It's here because it's SEGA's last console and it had a very short life span. It brings in very little cancer other than you autists bitching about it.
>>
>>3009286
GBA should be the exception instead of the DC.
>>
>>3009289
Last I checked Nintendo is still going strong. Especially with the handhelds.

How would Wind Waker be ignored? Among other completely out of placed games?
>>
>>3009294
Unless I'm mistaken, Wind Waker wasn't a GBA game.
>>
>>3009286
No, it's here because it's a console launched before December 31, 1999. There are no exceptions involved here.
>>
>>3009296
There was a shitload of advertising about the GBA to GC connector for WW.
>>3009297
You got to be pretty delusional to think the DC has much in common with 1s to 5th generations.
>>
>>3009257
Mods, do your duty and ban this tard for not being able to follow a simple rule.
>>
>>3009302
>Can't read
>>
That fucking gameboy pocket is the only one I'm missing.
>>
>>3009297
The exception, lad, is that it's a gen 6 console on a board that doesn't allow any gen 6+ systems.
>>
>>3009331
You sound very upset about someone viewing a matter subjectively instead of following rigid rules.

I bet you find rigid rules necessary to feel comfortable, and I bet there is a particular reason for that.
>>
>>3009331
Mods like the GBA.
Mods think the GBA is pretty much like any other Gameboy.
>>
>OP mentions 4 consoles
>3 of them are /vr/etro
>1 of them is GBA
>/vr/ autism ruins another thread
Yep, excluding the GBA sure is beneficial to this board.
>>
>>3009360
Seriously.
>>
>>3009360
It's those outspoken Segafags that don't want a system with third-party Sega games around here. They're a whiny lot, mostly Europoors.
>>
>The arcade revival was finally dying out
>SEGA had to retire from console hardware
>A video console was beaten by another one in Japan primarily for non-video game features
It was an end of an era. Just like how the video game crash and the first death of arcades was an end of an era all of that is one as well. So stop trying to force your GBA, PS2, NGC, and Xbox. Yes there are games on there that I like to talk about, no this isn't the place to discuss them.
>>
>>3009398
Good thing gaming eras are defined by facts and not your sentimentalities.

DC hardware = not retro
GBA hardware = retro
>>
File: image.jpg (590KB, 2323x1469px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
590KB, 2323x1469px
>>3009238
Am I retro?
>>
>>3009398
The GBA had a ton of sequels of /vr/ approved games.

It was the last effort to keep 2D gaming relevant when beautiful 3D graphics became essential to many consumers.

It's the last of the Game Boy line, before rebranding to appeal towards female and/or casual gamers.

It also plays GB/C games.

I understand that you're trying to defend the current rules, but the GBA has plenty of reasons to become an exception as well.
>>
>GBA's processor was released in 1994 which is before the cut-off date
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM7

Retro console.
>>
>>3009417
/vr/ rules have nothing to do with whether something is "retro" or not.
>>
File: 20160219_194710.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160219_194710.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>3009421
Sure why not?
>>
>>3009257
4/10 did you really copy/paste/space out all of those irrelevant design specs I didn't read
>>
>>3009425
The CPU is the least important part of a console. The graphics hardware is what matters.
>>
>>3009454
Can you name one GBA game with better graphics than any single Gen 6 console game?
>>
File: 1454929415973.gif (2MB, 374x312px) Image search: [Google]
1454929415973.gif
2MB, 374x312px
>>3009425
Then why didn't they release it in 1994?
>>
>>3009353
No, I just get annoyed with shit posters who insist on samefagging when the whole thread is against them.
>>
File: ccr.jpg (59KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ccr.jpg
59KB, 500x500px
fuckin love this game :)
>>
>>3009454
What. The GPU only matters if you need hardware acceleration. All GBA games ran in software only which gets handled by the processor.
>>
>>3009360
It's a blatant attempt at making another GBA thread (aka off-topic shitposting thread) and you know it
>>
>>3009538
>GBA is offtopic on a gaming board
I'd love you to explain that one.
>>
>>3009543
General gaming board is this way you shitposting fuck
>>>/v/

This board (/vr/) is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.
>>
>>3009543
>GBA is off topic on a board that deals with consoles/handhelds that came out at or before 1999 or PC games from 1999 and before
>>
>>3009481
Probably because it was too expensive at the time to use ARM.

Banning GBA games when the hardware uses old as fuck components would be like banning VVVVVV despite it being developed on a Commodore 64.
>>
>>3009481
Sega released the Game Gear in 1990 and it had better graphics than the GBA.
>>
>>3009565
The thing is there is a reason to why the GBA came out later and why they stuck with the Gameboy for so long, it is because it wasn't feasible to come out with it at that time. Having something as powerful as the SNES at your finger tips was something else, especially compared to something like the Gameboy or what the GameGear did with Master System games. Look at the Nomad, it was expensive, bulky, and you needed to be near a wall jack or make it even bulkier with a battery expansion so you wouldn't be tethered to the wall.
>>
>>3009517
>GBA games ran in software only
WTF are you talking about? GBA had hardware sprites, tiles and affine transforms. It has better graphics hardware than the SNES. There's no way it could do all it does in software with that CPU.
>>
>>3009538
Maybe it was. But it didn't have to be.
If it only mentioned the GBA then this amount of whining would be justified.
But it's not. This should have been as civil as the recent Shantae thread.
>>
>>3009587
Why do you think it's impossible for a 32-bit ~16mhz processor to handle 2D sprite games?
>>
File: 1440951170250.jpg (51KB, 555x526px) Image search: [Google]
1440951170250.jpg
51KB, 555x526px
>>3009350
It's not gen 6, it's gen 5.5.
>>
>>3009272
Retro is a time frame, not a style or list of specs
>>
File: 8bitdwigt.jpg (18KB, 75x139px) Image search: [Google]
8bitdwigt.jpg
18KB, 75x139px
>>3009625
False.
>>
>>3009625
You're thinking of classic/vintage/old.

Retro is indeed a style.
>>
>>3009302
>delusional

it has a shit-ton of arcade titles, so it's very much a retro style console
>>
File: GBmicro1.jpg (27KB, 425x312px) Image search: [Google]
GBmicro1.jpg
27KB, 425x312px
Does anyone else think the Gameboy Micro is sexy as hell? The size, the shape, the aluminum build... I've never owned one but I might get one some day.
>>
>>3009623
240x160, 15 bit color (padded to 16bit), 4 layers, 60fps. That's about 18M bytes per second just for the tiles. And then you have transparency and other effects, plus the sprites and transforms.

Maybe some elite demoscene coder could accomplish something close, but like most demoscene coding it would sacrifice flexibility. There's no way you could write a general purpose software rendering engine as flexible as the hardware that leaves enough CPU time for an actual game (don't forget that there's no dedicated audio hardware other than the Gameboy Color CPU included for backwards compatibility).
>>
>>3009632
/vr/ uses a non-standard definition of the word.
>>
>>3009238
Can we at least get back to suggesting games for these handhelds?
Metal Gear Solid for GBC
>>
>>3009638
It really is the best GBA model, but the lack of BC just doesn't sit well with some.
>>
>>3009661
Babel Fush is pretty fun.

I'm currently doing a no Five Seven pistol run, by accident though.
>>
>>3009706
>Fush
Oops
>>
>>3009661
Megaman Zero 2 is the best MMZ game because of dat whip.
>>
File: 250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png (141KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png
141KB, 250x250px
>>3009661
>>
>>3009735
That was my first GBC game.

Loved unlocking and playing Lost Levels in it (didn't have All Stars so it was completely new to me back then).
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>3009238
Hey guys I'm sitting here watching Family Guy, havin a couple laughs and playing Zelda II, since it is available on gameboy, I figured this might be an okay place to post. I hope no one minds. Anyone else feel like taking a crack at the black sheep with me?
>>
>>3009238
TRANSLATION WHEN?
>>
>>3009638
Concave d-pad is best d-pad.
>>
>>3009735
>so zoomed in you can barely see ahead
no thanks
>>
>>3009238
Gba isn't retro
>>
>>3009896
>ability to adjust the camera + shitload of extra content

Seems alright to me.
>>
>>3009238
>make this thread again
>"B-b-but muh GBA is retro, it's you who don't accept that!"
>>
File: Z0057933.jpg (238KB, 1023x991px) Image search: [Google]
Z0057933.jpg
238KB, 1023x991px
First game I ever did own. Thing that pissed me off the most was that you had to have to GBAs, an E-reader and the cards to unlock the extra levels.
>>
>>3009286
GBA is the last Gameboy console :^)
>>
>>3009930
*two GBAS
>>
>>3009930
Were the new optional eReader stages any good?
>>
>>3009985
Never played them. Some of them consisted of using other gameplay elements and enemies from other Super Mario Advance games.
>>
File: topgearrally.jpg (36KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
topgearrally.jpg
36KB, 480x320px
>>3009454
Not for the GBA. All calculations it did were managed by the ARM7tmdi and its vram was embedded in the cpu. You could even do true 3D games on it in software-only mode.
>>
>>3009730
I played through MMZ1-3 and didn't use anything other than the Buster-Saber unless I had to.
>>
I haven't been on this board in a while. Is /vr/ cool with GBA stuff now, or no? I hope it is.
>>
>>3009985
>>3009987

Nintendo just released SMA4 on Wii U VC and they added all of the e-Reader levels into the game.
Based off this, there's a patch for the GBA ROM that adds the levels to the game on ROMhacking.net.

And I don't think the mods give a shit about GBA, otherwise they would have done something about that Minish Cap thread that's been up for weeks now.
>>
>>3010229
read the thread and you'll find out.

OP was shitposting
>>
>>3010231
>the mods give a shit about GBA
The mods are irrelevant. Their job is to enforce the rules, not more. Whether they do that successfully is a different subject. As you can see in this thread, the posters have an issue with the GBA. Bringing it up on this board is plain shitposting
>>
>>3009638
the pixel density is amazing but it's really too small for long gaming sessions, trust me. and the L and R buttons are weird.
>>
>>3010235
Yeah, I only noticed right after I posted. Tis a shame people here still get butthurt over the GBA.
>>
File: 1408820677449.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1408820677449.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>>3009257
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 549x609px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 549x609px
>>3009985
They're fantastic. I'm in the uk which never got the reader so I used the DSlite trick to get the level on my official cart.
The WiiU release of the game will also have all the levels unlocked which is neat. They really are awesome. Plus using the cape from Mario world in Mario 3 levels was neat.
>>
>>3010262
>Tis a shame people here still get butthurt over the GBA
several reasons
- the people posting about the GBA are usually trying to stir trouble, and not so much interested in actual discussion. It's a side effect of /vr/ easily being pissed about GBA stuff being posted.

- like it or not, the GBA is against the rules, and someone will point it out, no exception. Try to get the rules changed formally, if you insist, but don't bypass them, or you'll only harvest anger

- while visually the GBA might be old school (I fucking hate the "portable SNES meme, the GBA is so much more), the approach to game design, outside of straight ports, is not. A lot of /vr/ is not just about the age of games, but also about meta aspects, like devs relying on players reading the manual, and players being patient and willing to learn. So the GBA ends up being a bit of a new age wolf in a retro sheep's clothing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IYGRkYplM

How did they pull this off? Was it just footage streamed from an mpeg file or something?
>>
>>3010280
>but also about meta aspects, like devs relying on players reading the manual, and players being patient and willing to learn. So the GBA ends up being a bit of a new age wolf in a retro sheep's clothing
Just like the dreamcast then?
>>
>>3010282
compressed video (FMV), yes. Likely no mpeg though
>>
>>3010286
sure. I have my issues with the DC on this board, but its posters are usually civil, it's within the rules, and I have no personal motivation to get that rule changed
>>
>>3010280
>while visually the GBA might be old school (I fucking hate the "portable SNES meme, the GBA is so much more),

It's true that the GBA is technically superior in specs, but seeing as most GBA games used only sprites for graphics, it makes sense that people would call it "portable SNES". I'd also wager that the SNES could scale and rotate sprites better than the GBA did.

>A lot of /vr/ is not just about the age of games, but also about meta aspects, like devs relying on players reading the manual, and players being patient and willing to learn

Dude, that hasn't been relevant since the '80s. If we're going to ban based on meta content, the PSX and N64 shouldn't be allowed either. Handholding in games started way before the GBA and didn't get really terrible till gen 7.
>>
>>3010295
>only sprites for graphics, it makes sense that people would call it "portable SNES"
No, not even then.
The GBA had a more advanced tile engine, different resolution. SNES and GBA are worlds apart even on sprite + tile based stuff.

>I'd also wager that the SNES could scale and rotate sprites better than the GBA did.
The SNES had NO sprite scale or rotate capabilities, none at all. The SNES could scale and rotate a single background layer, in one of its modes. Through the Super FX chip some SNES games gained the ability to scale and rotate sprites.
The GBA can scale and rotate sprites natively, and it can scale and rotate TWO background layers.
F-Zero on the GBA is an excellent game to compare the differences. On the SNES the other racers are distinct sprites that are swapped out at threshold distances. On the GBA they're fluently scaled. On the SNES the track and the surrounding environment are on the same layer. You can see that in Mute City. On the GBA they are different layers, moving at different speeds, to better convey that the track is indeed high above the city.

The GBA's sprite and tile capabilities were far ahead of the SNES.
>>
>>3010298
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE ATARI LYNX!
>hardware sprite scaling, stretching, tilting
>built-in graphics decompressor
>tile-based background layer with hardware scrolling
>blitter-esque engine

>1989 portable handheld game console
>1989

I think the GBA could've easily been made a few years earlier.
>>
>>3010336
>I think the GBA could've easily been made a few years earlier.
>Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology
The GBA is not about technological feasibility. It was the hardware combo that met the desired capabilities with the desired properties (size, power consumption) at the desired price point. The GBA uses an underclocked processor, among other things, to save battery. It's not about the bleeding edge, never was. The competition never understood that, producing super advanced pieces of technology in bulky shapes and burning through batteries. It's how the GB stayed on top of them, even though their hardware has always been weaker by numbers than theirs.
>>
>>3010298
SNES games that utilized Mode 7 looked way better than any GBA game with bitmapped sprites, though.
>>
Why do we have to have the same threads every single day? Nobody even makes any new arguments on either side. Does this shit not get boring to you people?
>>
>>3010787
No idea what you're saying. GBA has a Mode 7 equivalent that renders identical, but handles two background planes.
Maybe you're refering to the sprite scaling. Some people rightfully say sprites manually drawn to different distances look better than automatic scaling. It's a bit of a preference thing. Distinct sprites will look better, but move less precise.
>>
>>3010797
I can't find any sources that say GBA can play with two background layers. Hell, it didn't even have its own dedicated video processing chip. All I can grok is that it faked 3D with sprites by using a raycasting-like effect by bitmapping the sprites, which is a bit different from the SNES' graphics, OR do real 3D polygons with a software renderer (running poorly).
>>
>>3010830
>I can't find any sources that say GBA can play with two background layers
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#lcdiodisplaycontrol
Mode 2 has rotation and scaling with two background layers.
If you want to see the proof in action, fire up F-Zero on the GBA and move slowly while watching the track and the city. They move and rotate at different speeds, because they're different layers.

>it didn't even have its own dedicated video processing chip
It has plenty hardware support for tiles, sprites, alpha blending, etc. Its capabilities are a superset of the SNES capabilities.

>it faked 3D with sprites by using a raycasting-like effect by bitmapping the sprites
That sentence is all over the place, I have no idea what you're saying. Raycaster engines like Doom or Ecks vs. Sever used Mode 3, which is a pure pixel mode. Not a single sprite in these games.
>>
>>3010868
Huh, so it can. Thanks for that link.

>which is a pure pixel mode
What does that mean exactly? And how does Doom GBA not have sprites when the enemies look like sprites?
>>
>>3010165
False, see >>3009587 >>3010298 >>3010797

>>3010830
>it didn't even have its own dedicated video processing chip
It's integrated on the CPU, just like the original Gameboy. The ARM is licensed as just the core, so you can add your own hardware for the complete SoC.
>>
>>3010887
That question requires a little bit of hardware understanding for the GBA and sprite/tile engines in general.
Let's start easy, the pure pixel mode. The GBA provides a place in memory, where each memory cell represents a pixel on the screen, worded very simple. That means, a programmer can control the color of every single pixel, by writing to the appropriate location in that memory. In this mode, any arbitrary imagery can be shown on the screen. You can do polygons, textures, full motion video, anything. The downside is, everything needs to be done by the CPU, every single pixel needs to be set "manually", if you will. The GBA was the first Nintendo handheld to have this mode.
The traditional mode, found on the GB, GBC, and even NES and SNES is tiles and sprites. In this mode you have a location in memory where tiles are defined. These are small 8x8 bitmaps, using a certain color palette. Note that sprites are also such tiles, they use the same location in memory. But so far that's not enough to show anything on screen. Enter the background layers and sprites. A background layer is a grid of tiles. In terms of memory, it looks like the pixel map, but instead of each entry being a pixel, each entry refers to one of these 8x8 tiles that lie elsewhere in memory. This is how old games manage to have these big scrolling maps made of several repeating tiles. This tile map can be considerably larger than the screen. So on top of the tiles, you also specify a "window", that defines which part of this huge tilemap is visible on screen at the moment. At this point, a scrolling game becomes very trivial. Every frame you just move the window a bit. That's it. Done. Compare that with a pixel mode, where you'd have to move every pixel, to get the same effect.
>>
>>3010887
>>3010931
Now, let's put sprites in the picture, literally. A sprite on the GBA is just a small record that says "take this tile, and draw it on this location on the screen". Unlike backgrounds, sprites don't form a grid, you can move them freely. Now, you may remember that the GBA, and of course the other mentioned platforms, have bigger "sprites". What's happening here? It's moving several 8x8 sprites "together" as a small group. For developers that can be very frustrating, because the older systems have a limit on the number of hardware sprites per line on the screen. For example on the GBC that's 16 sprites. That does not sound like a problem, you hardly ever see more than 16 things on a line on the screen. But remember, the sprites are just 8x8 in size. Take a game like Donkey Kong Country, where each game "sprite" is actually 3 or so hardware sprites wide, and you hit sprite limits very quickly, which leads to flickering and slowdowns.
Ok, with all that knowledge, back to Doom. As said earlier, it's using the pixel mode. No tiles, no sprites, at least on the hardware level. What about all the monsters? They're drawn manually. Somewhere in memory is the image of the monster, the code "scans" that image to figure out the right pixel colors at the current distance, and puts them on the screen. No support from the sprite and tile hardware, but also no sprite limit to hit. However the CPU gets very busy doing all that, which makes it a bit of a feat.
By the way, if you look at Doom on the GBA, you may notice that it's wall and floor visuals are not actually full GBA resolution of 240x160 pixels. Instead each pixel column is repeated, so it's closer to 120x160. That's because one of the pixel modes has the odd limit that you can only write to two neighboring pixels at the same time. So you could either try to compute the color of both, and write them together (costs computing time), or you just draw the same computed color twice. That's what Doom did.
>>
>>3009238
Only ever played a Harry Potter game and part of a Metroid game on GBA when my cousin let me look at his and another one was set up in a K-Mart respectively... God that makes me feel old.

Anyway, got a GBC and my favorite games for the GB/GBC would be Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Silver, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, R-Type DX, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Pokemon Pinball.
>>
File: cotm.jpg (174KB, 866x680px) Image search: [Google]
cotm.jpg
174KB, 866x680px
What's the best Castleroid on the GBA?
>>
>>3011017

You just answered your own question. The only people who think otherwise are contrarians.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2352x1782px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2352x1782px
>>3011017
CoTM>AoS>>>>>>HoD
>>
>>3010224
>>3009730
I beat 2 recently and almost never used the whip. Sword pretty much always. Sometimes gun.
>>
>>3010340
Still true to this day. 3DS is far weaker than the VITA (and most people's smart phones) but has dominated the handheld game market (if you exclude phones and tablets).

They done fucked up with wii u it seems tho.
>>
>>3011017
CotM, but honestly all three are great.
The only problem with HoD is it gets confusing as fuck in some parts regarding where you're supposed to go, you'll be doing a lot of wandering around on your first playthrough. Hell even when I play it over again I still get lost sometimes lol it is a good game though, the L&R buttons make you dash, you can use em over and over for quick traversing, very convenient. Wish it was in AoS, I fucking hate backtracking in that. At least in CotM you could run.
>>
>>3011029
My nigga.

>people unironically like HoD as one of the best in the series
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3007x2227px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3007x2227px
>>3011056
HoD was a huge disappointment after CoTM.
HoD rom hack was pretty good. Fixed sprites, music, difficulty, palettes ect. Added characters including Julius.
Julius mode is great.
>>
>>3009638
What would a modern GBA micro look like? Or better even, a compatible system that uses micro SDs
>>
File: revo k101 plus.jpg (27KB, 511x517px) Image search: [Google]
revo k101 plus.jpg
27KB, 511x517px
>>3011094
http://www.k1gbasp.com/revo-k101-c-28.html
>>
>>3011127
the problem is, that does not look sexy. The GBA Micro is not so much useful as it is fashionable and gorgeous.
>>
>>3011134
u dont look sexy
>>
>>3011127
>http://www.k1gbasp.com/revo-k101-c-28.html
this is really cool, love the rom capability and i think its sexy imo
>>
>>3010931
>>3010935
Interesting. So you're telling me that basically all "3D" games on the GBA are really just one flat screen with each pixel filled in to give the illusion of depth and dimensions that gets updated constantly as the game runs?
>>
>>3011264
yes, that's exactly how it works
>>
>>3011056
I enjoyed it more than any of the DSvanias at least.
>>
>>3011268
neat
>>
I like how people just disobey the rules and then use their arguments as if they're in the right. It's the rules, just fucking follow them. Anyways, I'm not prepared for opening the floodgate of shitshow-o-rama of letting 6th gen in. DC doesn't matter because it's dinky library and relatively quiet user base, but I DO NOT want a bunch of 16-19 year olds talking about how "dank" their childhood 6th gen games are. It defeats the spirit of the board if you don't even play pre-6th gen games on a board that was dedicated to it. Go somewhere else man, you don't like retro games, that's fine, but don't ruin what's already here because you can't handle that.
>>
>>3011329
This is a Gameboy general, and like it or not the GBA happens to be a Gameboy console.

Also we've already just had 30+ posts with no shitflinging from either side. Go start a Castlevania thread or something if you want to argue about pointless shit so much.
>>
>>3011329
If you really cared about board quality you'd ban all the Sony systems, because those attract the biggest shitposters on 4chan.
>>
>>3011338
The same argument would allow the PS4 in PS1 threads.
>>
>>3011346
Was the Playstation the last Sony console? Did they drop the PS for something else?
>>
>>3011338
That isn't how it works. It's just not how it goes, because you obviously don't understand the concept of rules to inhibit an influx of undesirable behavior. Just follow the rules, it's not hard. Have a gameboy general but it stops at GBC. You can kick, whine, and scream but that's how it works and your terrible counterpoints don't refute that. Under your thought process a 3ds can be talked about as well. And I don't need to start with the error of that mentality.

>>3011341
Just follow the rules.
>>
>>3011346
The difference is PS4 doesn't run on pre-1999 hardware components.

The GBA is weaker than the 32X and 3DO and its games feel like an extension of the SNES. It's indisputably the last actual retro system.
>>
>>3011329
I like how you assume people are plotting to turn /vr/ into /v2/.

The problem is people want to discuss similar styled games in a franchise. Super Metroid alongside Metroid Fusion. Sonic Advance and the Sonic trilogy. The Mario Advance remakes.

But there are too many retards who take the rules too seriously. Bitch and yell at a PS2 troll thread, whatever. But flipping out because someone wants to compare an old game to a new one is unacceptable.

It will never end because of "lol >can't read the rules" responses like yours. People destroy decent threads because they're officially in the right to do so. Don't you realize how fucking stupid that is?
>>
>>3011352
So far the only one kicking, whining and screaming is you. Mods seem to be fine with people talking about the GBA in a general Gameboy thread.

The argument for the Dreamcast being retro is that it's the last Sega console and was released before 2000. I don't see what makes the GBA which uses pre-2000 hardware and is in fact the last Gameboy console so offensive.
>>
>>3011361
>indisputably
It's openly disputed on this very thread

>its games feel like an extension of the SNES
yeah, especially stuff like doom or v-rally. I don't like the GBA, it's a boring platform, and off topic for this board, but treating it like a portable SNES is pissing me off, because it's so grossly misleading and downright insulting to the platform.
>>
>>3011372
>I don't like the GBA, it's a boring platform
Your subjective opinion is irrelevant.

>and off topic for this board
This isn't a GBA thread, but a Gameboy general, a line of consoles that for the most part fall under the retro spectrum. The GBA, while not retro, happens to be part of this line. People talk about Doom 4 in the Doom general as long as the main subject is still about the retro Doom series. You could argue that people could post the PS2 and later entries in PS1 generals but the difference is that unlike the Gameboy line, the PS isn't a discontinued series. Both the Dreamcast and GBA were the last of their kind.
>>
>>3011382
>it was a preface for the statement immediately afterwards, as indicated by the "but"

>but a Gameboy general
Since the GBA is off limits, a GB general is for DMG, GBP, GBL and GBC
>>
>>3011370
>can't read the rules
lol
>>
>>3011372
Doom was on SNES and is a retro game though, and the SNES got a bunch of 3D-style racing games. If your beef is with polygonal games, we shouldn't allow PSX or N64 either.
>>
>>3011387
people can mention the GBA in a GB thread just like people mention Doom 4 in the Doom general

as long as it doesn't derail the thread explicitly it's fine

just get over it man
>>
>>3011395
There was a bad port of Doom on the SNES, showing off quite skillfully how illfitting the game was on that platform

>If your beef is with polygonal games
It's not
>>
>>3011397
I'm over the doom general, no worries. As for the GBA, you're getting bent out of shape, few others are
>>
>>3011398
>bad port
The game was fine except for blurry graphics. There are worse ports even on more powerful systems like Saturn and 3DO.
>>
>>3010270
Can you mod these inside an original gba yet?
>>
>>3011372
>yeah, especially stuff like doom or v-rally.
you're only helping him prove his point. doom runs even worse on the gba than snes, so it's still an "extension of the snes" in that vein
>>
>>3011426
>so it's still an "extension of the snes" in that vein
non sequitur
>>
>>3011419
What's your question? It is possible to inject the levels into a cartridge. You need a ds(lite) and a DS flashcart.
>>
This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast (RELEASE DATE: Nov 27, 1998) will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.

>GBA release date: Jun 11, 2001
>>
>>3011454
see
>>3011382
>>
>>3011461
See
>>1392415
>>
>>3011474
oh so you're shitposting

ok
>>
>>3011482
>can't read the rules
>>
File: ElfBowling.jpg (49KB, 425x416px) Image search: [Google]
ElfBowling.jpg
49KB, 425x416px
my favorite GBA game
>>
>>3011438
i mean take the insides of a micro (the screen) and place it into a original gba
>>
Anyone here play this? Finished it a few days ago and fucking loved it. Really underrated.
>>
File: Karnaaj_Rally.jpg (52KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
Karnaaj_Rally.jpg
52KB, 496x500px
>>3011503
>>
>>3011387
>Since the GBA is off limits, a GB general is for DMG, GBP, GBL and GBC

Yeah? Well that's just like, your opinion, man.
>>
File: kirbydl2.jpg (23KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
kirbydl2.jpg
23KB, 250x247px
Great Kirby game, or greatest Kirby game?
>>
>>3009242
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1452284661626.jpg (14KB, 464x464px) Image search: [Google]
1452284661626.jpg
14KB, 464x464px
>>3011387
>treating the gb, light, and pocket as separate platforms despite having the exact same libraries
>DMG
>>
File: 1452468032563.gif (46KB, 185x179px) Image search: [Google]
1452468032563.gif
46KB, 185x179px
>>3011715
Pic related.
>>
>>3011856
where does the post imply that it's about platforms and not models?
>>
>>3011858
I feel it is definitely one of best, personally adventure is my favorite but dreamland is amazing.
>>
File: kidscards.jpg (9KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
kidscards.jpg
9KB, 225x169px
>>3011503
>>3011542

To me te GBA was the real beginning of super-low-budget shovelware licensed to a major console.

Certainly the end of the era when the Nintendo Seal of Quality meant anything

Including the 9001 Disney, Nickelodeon, and shitty movie related shovelware that came out every year.
>>
>>3011862
It's providing clarification in the same context that implies discussion of games for each platform. There are few contexts in which discussion of individual iterations of the same platform is warranted, yet the poster still listed them.
>>
>>3011887
>There are few contexts in which discussion of individual iterations of the same platform is warranted
You haven't been to many GB threads? There's always at least someone raving about the GBL, and the occasional discussion about the LCD on the DMG vs. GBP. GB threads are not just about libraries, but also the devices to play them on
>>
>>3011127
Why I would want it over the usual GBA?
>>
File: jiggler.jpg (6KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
jiggler.jpg
6KB, 254x198px
>>3011127
>semi-clear casing

Not sexy
>>
>not owning this style of Gameboy Color
>>
>>3011023
>aria of sorrow not the best
your the contrarian here buddy.
>>
File: cover_large[1].jpg (150KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
cover_large[1].jpg
150KB, 600x588px
>>
NOT RETRO
O
T

R
E
T
R
O
>>
File: steelempire-gba.jpg (48KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
steelempire-gba.jpg
48KB, 360x360px
>>3012186
thanks for bumping
>>
Best GBA game or best GBA game?
>>
>>3009294

You think that a gamecube is a GBA. Get out,
>>
>>3009647

So it uses a wrong definition.
>>
>>3012239
/vr/ is the hipster board of 4chan, these elitists will twist any word to enhancify the exclusivity.
>>
super succ and fucc (cucc edition)
sonic family circus
maze attack
anal ejaculation
mario
>>
File: gba_comparison.jpg (209KB, 1000x340px) Image search: [Google]
gba_comparison.jpg
209KB, 1000x340px
>>3011519
>i mean take the insides of a micro (the screen) and place it into a original gba
slightly different screen sizes.. Hence the name. Micro..
>>
>>3012871
you can still put the micro's screen into a traditional GBA, for some extreme letterboxing action
>>
>>3009638

I had one back in the day. It was tiny as shit but it did the job and was very portable. Thinking of getting one over an SP.
>>
>>3010793
Because the mods don't want to allow any new consoles or games to discuss.
>>
>>3012883
>Thinking of getting one over an SP.
just get a SP AGS101
I love my micro to bits. But the SP with the backlight is the better system.
Saying that i carry the micro around with me more just to the size.
>>
>>3012207
In my top 3 with mother 3 and aria of sorrow. Not retro but good taste.
>>
STOP POSTING IN /VR/ ASKING FOR /VR/ TO BE EXPANDED

INSTEAD POST IN /V/ ASKING FOR YOUR OWN BOARD

OR EMAIL ASIAN MOOT OR WHATEVER HE IS NOW

>>>/V/
>>
>>3010830

but but but golden sun was awesum
>>
>>3012907
lel good luck with that, hiroshima can barely understand english
>>
>>3012907
So angry anon.
What was your favourite
>Gameboy
>Gameboy Color
>Gameboy Advance
Game?
>>
>>3012886
101's screen is inferior though with over-saturated colors, worse refresh rate, and the backlight levels can't be adjusted. Plus there's no headphone jack.
>>
>>3012923
>lel
Back to /v/ kid
>>
>>3013036
The only info you have correct is the refresh rate and headphone jack which can be sorted with an adaptor.

Screen has off bright and super bright.
>>
>>3013036
Micro headphone jack has static feedback. Thats nothing to be happy about. No native GB/C support. No Accessory support. No Connectivity. Cant run some games.
>>
File: shantae_palettes.png (11KB, 334x121px) Image search: [Google]
shantae_palettes.png
11KB, 334x121px
>>3013036
>101's screen is inferior though with over-saturated colors
wrong way round. The early screens have inferior color reproduction. Developers accounted for it, by cranking up the saturation in the games, so it looks natural on the actual hardware. Then when the hardware improved, the oversaturated colors of the code showed up on the screen. The effect was even more extreme with the transition from GBC to GBA. It's why Shantae had two sets of palettes, one for GBC and one for GBA, to compensate for the better screen. Notice how the GBA palette is generally brighter. Both screens produce the same actual colors from these different palettes.
>>
>>3013043
My mistake about the backlight levels, it's been a long time since I played my SP2. But I'm right about the colors as well, they're way over saturated on it, but are perfect on the Micro.
>>
>>3013049
>Cant run some games.

Which GBA games can't it play?
>>
>>3013058
And how is this relevant when discussing the backlight SP and Micro's screens?
>>
>>3009735
Trying to play Lost Levels on that was like trying to play Sonic 2 on the Game Gear.
>>
>>3013158
>wrong way round
was in response to
>101's screen is inferior

>The early screens have inferior color reproduction
refers to the GBA -> GBA SP transition.

The GBC explanation was merely because the underlying reason is the same (improved display quality), and with Shantae there's one game knowingly correcting for it. No such correction happened for the 101 screen, so the issue remains. The 101 screen is superior, not inferior. It's just that in this case, superior quality is undesired.
>>
>>3013158
As someone that owns both. No the Colours are fine on the SP. Comparing both images look slightly better on the Micro only due to the PPI.

Any actual facts or specs that suggest the 101 screen has over saturated colours or is this just your opinion?

i also for fun just compared the DS screen and holy shit do GBA they look ass on the DSLite.
>>
>>3013158
>>3013170
I suspect the Micro has some color correction circuitry in it. The 101 and Micro displays are likely comparable. The Micro display may be better in terms of visual quality, but that would only enhance the saturation problem, if it wasn't for corrective measures to artificially "reduce" the quality again.
>>
>>3013180
>holy shit do GBA they look ass on the DSLite
How so? Too dark? Too saturated? Or something else?
>>
>>3013190

Same problem as every GBA game going to a backlight: colors are too goddamned bright. I can get used to it after a while, but that's a matter of comfortably ignoring it, not realizing it's OK after all.

Then there's the fact they offer no stretching options. So you're gonna get a nice, thick black border all around the GBA display area.
>>
>>3013180
> do GBA they look ass on the DSLite.
Dunno nothing, GBA is great on the DSLite, because I had to compare OG GBA vs DSLite
Anyway, since this thread is fucked up, I want to know, what will be better to purchase for GBA, GBM or Revo will be enough?
Or I stay better with DSL? But DSL is harder to pop out of the pocket.
>>3013204
> no stretching option
It's not like 240x160 and 256x192 makes any big difference.
>>
>>3013204
you can not reasonably stretch GBA resolution to DS resolution without introducing so many artifacts, you'd be destroying the picture
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 640x670px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 640x670px
>>3013190
Not that anon tho just had a look.
DS has noticeable blur while running too.
>>
So GBA kids say they wont bring cancer in.

Meanwhile this thread (like most of these GBA threads) has devolved into autistic rambling about which GBA screen is the least shit.
>>
>>3013209

I have glasses you underaged fuck. Yeah: it makes a big fucking difference.
>>
>>3013213

OK, how'd they do it on the GBA when playing GB/GBC games?
>>
>>3013218
whats wrong with that? Rather moan and cry maybe talk about some games or join in?

knob.
>>
>>3013218

Calm your bleeding sphincter, m8.
>>
>>3013230
>>3013234
I'd rather talk about retro games.
>>
>>3013236
What Retro game do you like to play on your GBA? Did you enjoy the NES series?
>>
>>3013236
What's your favorite GBA game?
>>
>>3013241
I said retro games not modern consoles.
>>
File: NES_Classics.jpg (77KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
NES_Classics.jpg
77KB, 615x461px
>>3013250
These are retro games silly bum x
>>
>>3013253
Why would I play any of that on a shitty handheld when I can play real hardware. Or emulate.
>>
>>3013236

Too bad, mang. You've been overruled. Discuss, hide, or report. But for Christ's sake, stop being that faggot that constantly pisses and moans about shit not being retro by the definitions of his secret clubhouse that it's own managers don't give enough of a fuck about to clean and maintain.
>>
File: 19923_front.jpg (146KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
19923_front.jpg
146KB, 640x640px
This game is pretty shit tier
>>
File: pepsibot.png (42KB, 512x192px) Image search: [Google]
pepsibot.png
42KB, 512x192px
>>3013220
OK, no shit.
>>
>>3013253

>nintendrone starter pack
>>
So we can have Ps2 threads on /vr/ now? awesum
>>
>>3013253
I was playing that ort of xevious the other day. Kinda fucking annoying that at the tiny resolution you can't see bullets. Oh well, I paid a literal dollar for it.

Playing Bomberman on my GBA is usually fun, though. Nice way to pass a shiton the toilet.
>>
>>3013280
You can make a PS2 thread, but autists like >>3013250 will just cry about it until it gets deleted.
>>
>>3013271
Colour Hack is essential.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/470/
>>
>>3009238
>Mega Man V
Playing that right now actually.
God damn Enker, Quint, Punk and Ballade were easy as fuck in this.
>>
File: atomicpurplegbc.jpg (20KB, 345x447px) Image search: [Google]
atomicpurplegbc.jpg
20KB, 345x447px
>>3011968
fuck, forgot the image
>>
>>3009874
maybe when the hiatus ends.
>>
Reminder that the GBA has more good games on average than the GBC or NGP.

Reminder that the PS1 still has a higher amount of shovelware than the GBA.

Reminder that the GBA's specs are superior to the SNES. Excluding the small resolution display and 2 button Gameboy control layouts.

Reminder that the GBA is not retro, but /vr/ blindly shitting on the GBA solely because of this makes this board no better than /v/.
>>
>>3013736
>Reminder that the GBA is not retro, but /vr/ blindly shitting on the GBA solely because of this makes this board no better than /v/.
Oh but you breaking the rules isn't /v/?
>>
>>3013741
>whataboutism
If it's breaking the rules, just hide and report it.

No need to go full sperg over it.
>>
>>3013736
Which is stronger: SNES+SuperFX chip or GBA?
>>
i liked pokemon games quite a lot, and the port of the original zelda
also that megaman turn-based game, advance wars, wario land 4..
It's a shame i was too poor to buy more games
>>
>>3013760
GBA easily, at least in graphics.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3186x2165px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3186x2165px
Crystal is a personal favourite.

Tony hawk 2 on the GBA was surprisingly good for the isometric view.

Wario games are also great.
Thread posts: 228
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.