[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

X-COM thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 7

File: xcom_20540.nphd[1].jpg (73KB, 620x332px) Image search: [Google]
xcom_20540.nphd[1].jpg
73KB, 620x332px
The last one was great, here is another.

I'm currently on my third attempt at finishing this game with OpenXcom, it used to kick my ass as a kid but I'm FINALLY winning, though I just just lost my first base to retaliation (undefended).

Do you guys have any advice for air combat in the mid to late game? Which ships are worth researching and building? Interceptors with dual plasma cannons seem to be able to take down anything smaller than a battleship, but a lot of craft they just can't catch. Also where the fuck do I get ayylieum from, I need it to build EVERYTHING.
>>
Just equip your Interceptors with PCs until getting an Avenger. Don't bother with anything else.
>>
>>3008362
And from then on, Avengers are the best, with just using Skyrangers for troop transport?
>>
>>3008372
Keep the Skyranger for reconnaissance (like searching for alien bases) because it doesn't need Elerium for fuel.
>>
>>3008410
So the skyranger just for recon? What for transporting troops?
>>
File: 20160215_141655.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160215_141655.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>3008334
The prior thread got me inspired.

Got
Myself a copy of the ps1 classic.

It's brutal on genius level.
>>
>>3008419
Avenger has a lot bigger troop capacity.
>>
File: x-com monthly report.png (38KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
x-com monthly report.png
38KB, 1280x800px
>Start new game of X-COM on Superhuman
>Rush straight for plasma cannons
>Aliens cease to touch down on earth since I got an alien navigator interrogated by February.

>>3008439
I would say the Avenger is the single most important upgrade in the game for the battlescape, for no other reason than it allows me to run around with an additional 12 laser rifles to supplant the 14 I already have.

Seriously, I'll take on alien bases with conventional weapons if I can have 26 men doing it.
>>
>>3008471
>Seriously, I'll take on alien bases with conventional weapons if I can have 26 men doing it.

Are you sure you can even pull that off? You'll probably run out of spawn nodes and lose a bunch of guys. I know on Superhuman base defense, you can only get about 22 guys in action with the rest being MIA. Also you could exceed the 80 item limit and have soldiers missing equipment.
>>
>>3008501
I was talking more about landing on alien bases since domestic ones don't need an avenger to fill full of people.

On a base defense, depending on the version of the game, one of several things might happen. The first in older games is common that all humans spawn at designated spawn points in the base (Generally the living quarters, eventually the hangars and the access lift when there are more soldiers than spawn points), and then the aliens will spawn at there (Starting with the access lift, then the hangars, then XCOM's spawning nodes which leads to tons of fun if you don't have at least two hangars for a battleship force to spawn in). You can game the system by having so many soldiers that they take up every spawn point on the map and allow no aliens to spawn anywhere, since your men are deployed first. Likewise, if you've got a base with only an access lift, a radar, and a living quarters, you're going to wind up with snakemen and crysalids spawning right on top of you since there's too many of them and not enough spawn points.

The 80 item limit bug can become a big issue during base defense if you're not prepared, forcing you to fight with 80 electro-flares and no guns at its worst. What happens is the top 80 items from your stores are spawned into the map for you to work with, arranged by the game's coding in a semi-arbitrary fashion to the player. Thankfully, laser rifles have a high priority on this list, so if you have any, they'll usually show up with you. Also, HWPs can spawn on these maps (Up to 9 I think), and are given a free reload of ammo as well, even if you don't have one.

These errors are corrected in OpenXcom though, so that only X-COM troops can spawn at living quarters and only aliens can spawn at hangars/access lifts. You are also limited to at most 40 men on either side.
>>
>>3008528
>The 80 item limit bug can become a big issue during base defense if you're not prepared, forcing you to fight with 80 electro-flares and no guns at its worst. What happens is the top 80 items from your stores are spawned into the map for you to work with, arranged by the game's coding in a semi-arbitrary fashion to the player. Thankfully, laser rifles have a high priority on this list, so if you have any, they'll usually show up with you. Also, HWPs can spawn on these maps (Up to 9 I think), and are given a free reload of ammo as well, even if you don't have one.

The game prioritizes the bought Earth equipment over alien tech so make sure to not keep useless junk like rifles around or you might end up having those while your Blaster Launchers go MIA. If a base defense is imminent, I make sure to sell my smoke grenades, incendiary ammo, and flares (just buy all that shit back once the mission is over).

Sometimes on Superhuman base defense, aliens end up having no gun which is pretty funny.
>>
>>3008528
>These errors are corrected in OpenXcom though, so that only X-COM troops can spawn at living quarters and only aliens can spawn at hangars/access lifts

What. Aliens never spawn in the middle of your base in UFO Defense. They do in TFTD, but I find TFTD base defense easier for several reasons.
>>
>>3008547
>What. Aliens never spawn in the middle of your base in UFO Defense
They do if you don't have at least two hangars in the base.
>>
>>3008547
>>3008548
What I was told is that when a map generates, it makes spawn points zero through X. It places the first X-COM soldier in spawn point 0, the second in spawn point 1, etc, until all X-COM soldiers are deployed. It then starts at spawn point X and places the first alien, followed by the second alien being placed in spawn point X-1, then X-2, then X-3, and so on.

What this means is that if there aren't enough spawn points within a base defense mission for X-COM to spawn, they'll start taking the alien spawn points. Likewise, if there aren't enough X-COM soldiers to take up the entire living quarters and too few spawnpoints for the aliens, they start taking up X-COM spawn points. Because of there not being distinct X-COM spawn points and Alien spawn points and instead just a giant list of generic spawn points, the only thing differing the two is what end of the list the two sides start spawning on.

Theoretically, if a map generated without very many spawn points outside of the X-COM craft and you didn't have a full loadout of soldiers in your craft, you could have aliens spawn in the skyranger as well. It's just this is very, very unlikely to happen because there's plenty of spawnpoints on the terrain for normal missions.

You can fiddle with this by using a save game editor to make a craft hold too many troops and deploying to a mission, some of your men will start spawning around the map in alien positions.
>>
>>3008568
Yeah there's map editors which show you all the spawn nodes on maps. I used one to produce a map of spawn nodes on the TFTD cruise ship. It really helps a lot when you know where to find the aliens and can ignore half the map.
>>
If I remember correctly, TACTICAL.EXE works by first placing soldiers, then the main alien race, then terrorists, and finally civilians (you also notice during the aliens' turn that the aliens/terrorists/civvies move in that order). Occasionally a terror site has no civilians or terrorists due to lack of spawn nodes.

Superhuman mode does have some funny effects such as >>3008546. On terror sites, if the game places multiple of those big city park things, you may get fewer aliens because that particular tileset has only one spawn node. Also on alien bases, the commander often spawns outside the command center since it has four spawn nodes, but on Superhuman these are all filled with leaders/navigators.

One other little note about alien bases. Medics are supposed to spawn in the big gallery room with the food containers or those big garden things and engineers in the power station modules. But sometimes you don't get those modules in which case the game just arbitrarily drops the medic/engineer into the area around the command center.
>>
As I was saying in the old thread, cruise ships are actually rather easy if you know all of the alien spawn locations. It's especially worth noting that in part 2, aliens never spawn in the top floor. They're all in the cargo hold/engine room so the upper floor with all the cabins can be safely ignored.
>>
>>3008568
There seems to be a certain randomness to it because a given spawn point may have a civilian in one game and an alien in the next.

Assuming the aliens are placed before civilians, then aliens should always be in the same spawn location every time. But they're not because sometimes there's a civilian there instead.
>>
>>3009087
It's probably because the amount of aliens/civilians is slightly random. On Beginner, a terror site has between 10 and 14 aliens and the number of civilians is, regardless of difficulty setting, anywhere from 8 to 16. Therefore it's quite possible that the placement of civilians can vary a bit depending on how many aliens there are.

UFOpedia claims that "Sometimes the aliens will have killed all the civilians before you got there." but this is false; the occasional terror site with no civilians is a bug caused by the map generator placing tile sets in such a way that there's not enough spawn nodes.
>>
>>3008626
>If I remember correctly, TACTICAL.EXE works by first placing soldiers, then the main alien race, then terrorists, and finally civilians

X-COM tanks, if present, are placed first, before your soldiers.
>>
>>3008140
Troops only get promoted to Officer rank when you've got more than a specific number of soldiers working for XCOM. Other than deciding who gets the promotion, combat experience and skill has nothing to do with the process.

>1 Sergeant for every 5 soldiers
>1 Captain for every 11 soldiers
>1 Colonel for every 23 soldiers
>1 Commander for all of XCOM once you have 30 soldiers

The only thing that sets them apart from squaddies is that they minimize moral loss when you take casualties during ops. On the other hand, if an officer gets fragged, it tends to make everyone else on the field freak out.
>>
Mind control a civilian and it's counted as an alien when your turn is over, after which you have to kill it. Why?

The game has three "allegiance" flags: 0=X-COM personnel, 1=aliens, and 2=neutral. Civilians are given the neutral flag.

The way the mind control routine is coded is that whenever your turn ends, the allegiance flag for the MC-ed unit is reversed. So if a soldier gets MCed by aliens, his flag goes to 1 and as soon as the turn ends, it's flipped to 0, returning him to your control. For aliens, vice versa.

What happens when you MC a civilian? In that case, the civilian's flag started as 2 and gets switched to 0, making him counted as an X-COM unit. But as soon as you end the turn, the MC routine simply reverses the flag which then turns it into a 1 and makes the civvie count as an alien for the rest of the mission.

It was probably a programming oversight; it's quite reasonable to believe that the devs did not anticipate that the player would attempt to MC civilians.
>>
File: terror.png (72KB, 265x294px) Image search: [Google]
terror.png
72KB, 265x294px
>enable final mod pack
>shoot down ufo
>see some new aliens that were added by the mod, neat!
>capture one of them, kill the rest
>kill the final alien
>end round
>game crashes
>load game
>do same again
>game crashes
>mfw

I love some of the stuff this mod has, but fucking hell this is the second time this mod has crashed my game in similar kind of scenario. Something with the new aliens is clashing with the original game and causes it to crash.
All I can do is to load game before I arrived to the crash site and hope the game will roll me something that doesn't crash this time. It doesn't happen too often, but goddamn this is bullshit.
>>
>>3009213
Wait, so you need to have 30 soldiers in every base just to get one of them? So if you run any radar stations you can't have a commander?
>>
>>3009246
It's 30 troops combined total.
>>
>>3008372
Because Avengers eat Elerium like crazy. And because you can bring so many troops in an Avenger it kinda trivializes missions.
>>
>March 2000
>116 missions
>Assembled team of 90+ Strength Psykers
>Out of boredom and encroaching mission fatigue, launch the Mars assault from the Antartica base.
>Lose two men on the surface, psionically capture the rest of the Sectoids and condense the equipment and supplies among the survivors.
>Base, troops fan out slightly.
>MOVEMENT!
>Reaction shots miss.
>Lose another man to chryssalid.
>Gun it down, sectopod behind it.
>Brain chamber spawned next to one of our entry points.
>Psyked the first etherial I see.
>Run him to the elevators, his leader friend fails to kill him, but is standing on the elevator.
>After several attempts, manage to control him, and kill the brain.

Been a long time since I've played UFOD... Picked up OpenXCOM because I couldn't run FiraXCOM2. So, been at this run for 2-3 weeks.
>>
Any tips for Piratez mod?

I have recently downloaded it and holy shit, it's a completely new game with tons of new content.
That fucking tech tree alone is a nightmare.

Also do aliens still use psy attacks in Piratez mod? I can find the option to disable it for some reason
>>
>>3010572
*can't
>>
>>3010572
>>3010580
Honestly think all the big mods on the forum are low quality garbage. It's like reading fan fiction. Alot of the ltitle ones are okay and Luke is a good mapmaker but everything else suffers from the same 'more is better' mentality found in so many modding communities
>>
So, how stable is OpenXCOM with TftD?

Probably start it tonight either way, but looks like the "nightly" builds are mostly small tweaks.
>>
>>3011448
Fully playable. I've experienced no problems.
>>
>lose 13 dudes in three missions against Lobsterman scouts

I could have shot them down and ignored them, but I wanted all the stuff I could get especially Zrbite. I was actually killing them pretty handily with Sonic Cannon shots, but they kept hocking grenades like crazy and that's what caused most of my casualties.
>>
>Gillman hiding in sunken jetliner.
>Chuck grenade in after him.
>Entire plane spends half a minute detonating.
>At least two other death screams.
I... did not know the sunken jet wings could explode.
>>
>>3011682
It's fairly safe to assume that anything that looks like it could explode does.

Also kind of amusing when you shoot an alien, miss, and hear the death scream of some unseen alien who got planted instead.
>>
>>3011804
Well, it makes a game-dev style sense, but just barely.

I know airplanes often have their fuel tanks in the wings, so red-barrel logic there.

But the things are so destroyed and decayed, you'd think the fuel had long since emptied out into the environment.

And I'd never seen them explode back in the day.
>>
>see LP where the guy manages to send one dude to singlehandedly take out an alien colony

I tried it but for safety's sake took two dudes. Getting them to the exit lift took patience and a lot of savescumming, but once I got into the inner colony (and free of psionics), it was just a matter of moving to the command room, stunning a Lobsterman commander, grabbing him, bombing the Synonium Device, and running. The second guy I took had the weaker psy strength; I left him behind in the outside part.

Now the LP I saw, the guy had already built an MC Lab so he could just pick the soldier with like 95 psy strength, but I did not have this luxury.
>>
>>3011970
>savescumming

Fucking worthless.

Achieving someone on an RNG based game with savescumming is one of the least impressive things imaginable.
>>
>savescum

I have just stated playing this again and the temptation is reeeeeaaal.

However I have decided against save scum.
Lost a lot of good men that way.

But hey!
That's xcom baby!

Worst case was losing 2 units to wildly inaccurate friendly fire only for sectoid to kill the shooter on over watch.

Post worst "that's xcom baby" moments.
>>
>>3012696
It's not as if I like to do it, but sometimes you're not given a choice.

>walk around a corner
>get reaction-shotted by a Bio-Drone
>fire six rounds at an alien and all of them miss horribly
>dude gets mind controlled and drops a grenade in the middle of your squad

Things like that.
>>
>>3012767
This. You win some, you lose some, but the charm of X-COM is what starts as an uneven fight in the ayy's direction slowly becoming dominated by you, scratching and clawing your way to victory. If you savescum that victory is just assured, it's like the shit in that undertale game, you are now an invincible unstoppable force that can rectify any mistake

>>3012769
Just play on ironman. it makes everything matter more.
>>
>>3012773
Agreed.
At the start i had to ignore the first terror mission.
I knew i would get rekt.

Then clawing your way back to top of the food chain is great.
Losing or aborting the occasional mission makes it a battle and the victory sweeter!
>>
>>3012773
>If you savescum that victory is just assured, it's like the shit in that undertale game, you are now an invincible unstoppable force that can rectify any mistake

Not really, no. I had gotten done cleaning out a Tasoth cruise ship and even with relentless reloading, I still lost five dudes by the time I finished the first part. Six of the remaining guys were wounded and one was MIA because of being mind controlled at the end of part 1.

And since I had to go do it all over again on Part 2 with an exhausted, banged-up squad (half of which had psionic strength of about 5), I just decided to abort and take a penalty.
>>
>>3012789
Your victory is still assured if you can load a save at any time, the worst that will happen will it being delayed or you purposely giving up - every death that becomes permanent is just because you choose it that way, not because you fucked up/got unlucky.

Seriously, grow some balls. Play ironman.
>>
>>3012798
>every death that becomes permanent is just because you choose it that way, not because you fucked up/got unlucky.
Believe it, sometimes losing soldiers is unavoidable.
>>
I was gonna say. I normally don't savescum on UFO Defense unless it's Ethereals. TFTD is of course a lot different story since anything bigger than a scout ship is gonna be...yeah.
>>
You can't really savescum if you're recording an LP although most LPers do it anyway even if they claim they don't.
>>
>>3012798
What exactly does Ironman mean? I heard the term used somewhere before.
>>
>>3012983
You're not allowed to reload in the middle of a game. If you fuck up, you can restart a mission from the beginning but Ironman runs mean you can't do stop-and-go saving.
>>
>>3012986
>If you fuck up, you can restart a mission from the beginning

Fuck, I'd been playing as if that wasn't the case. I've just been accepting everything that happens.
>>
>>3012986
Okay...

See, I really don't do stop and go saving in UFO Defense runs but TFTD kind of makes it a necessity. Even then, I didn't do it in my current run despite losing a bunch of guys cleaning out Lobsterman scouts. I accepted all of those losses. It's just that two parter missions are a problem because you need to minimize casualties so you'll have enough guys to survive the second half.
>>
>>3012986
Wrong. Ironman means you can't save without immediately quitting. It's permadeath, like a roguelike. You don't get to restart failed missions. OpenXCOM enforces this automatically if you choose Ironman.

>>3012989
You're doing it right.

>>3013002
>TFTD kind of makes it a necessity
It does not. I cleared TFTD Ironman Superhuman on my 6th attempt.
>>
>>3013478
>Wrong. Ironman means you can't save without immediately quitting. It's permadeath, like a roguelike. You don't get to restart failed missions. OpenXCOM enforces this automatically if you choose Ironman.
I started playing on Ironman the first time I tried OpenXCom and I'll never go back. I can't imagine how boring and lifeless this game would feel if I were reloading every two turns. Having your whole team get wiped out and sucking it up is much more fun imo, and it makes the actually successful missions that much more satisfying.
>>
>>3013706
This, you go through mission after mission of utter meatgrinder failure or near wins, and when you finally turn the tide and get a winning team that DOESN'T ALWAYS DIE together you appreciate it so much

On a different topic, WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET AYYLEIUM. In my last game I only got most alien tech at September in the earliest, and I had an unlimited amount of the stuff, this time through I've on zero almost the entire time, only ever been able to make two plasma cannons and six sets of flying armour.
>>
>>3014030
Touched down supply ships is the best source. You might need to build your own base close to an alien base to reach them reliably.
>>
>>3014030
Intercept with Skyrangers if the alien ship is like to touch down. All but the smallest holds 50 units, but those tend to explode if it's shot down.

Base milk, via >>3014043 , you don't necessarilly need to build the base right next to, but a sky ranger is -much- slower than the supply ship en route to a base, so you'll want it to head toward the base you think the ship is going for, then patrol around that base until it arrives, because the time a supply ship spends touched down during a supply run is very short.

But it is a certain supply that will come at least once a month.

Alternatively, an Avenger can catch up and tail a supply ship very quickly.
>>
>>3014052
You probably can't catch a Supply Ship on a supply run since they land and take off at full throttle meaning that Interceptors are too slow to catch them, also they seem to always land at night. I've seldom ever had any luck with that. One time on a TFTD campaign, I cleaned out a Fleet Supply Cruiser full of Aquatoids that docked at a colony...except I couldn't find the last alien anywhere and ragequit.

Then I tried a second time, again failed to find the last alien, and ragequit. And this was on a volcano map so not like there were too many places aliens could hide in. Yeah, fuck that shit.
>>
>>3014079
That's why I said have the transport head for the base.

In UFOD, they tend to enter atmo on the far side of the planet from their destination, so a firm detection grid will pick them up well before they get there. Especially since the HWD only takes a single navigator, and the TMR, in openXCOM anyway, only takes the magnetic nav. (If you're on a version that requires a lobster navi you're kinda fucked anyway, with as buggy as the base game's tech tree is.

As for the last guy... you can usually sweep the map in 3-4 turns, then secure the UFO/USO's exits and then sweep it.
>>
>>3012801
>Believe it, sometimes losing soldiers is unavoidable.

That's xcom, baby. death is a part of life. You suck it up and move on. It's not easy sending men to die but they knew the risks. Does it hurt? Hell yeah, I've lost multiple skyrangers in a single campaign before. I've left men bleeding out on a field because I knew that rescuing them and getting out with the objectives was impossible. These are the hrd choices you have to make as a commander. And if you're unwilling to play on ironman and make them then what are you even doing here?

If you're gonna reload to keep men alive then you're playing God. And what can't God do? Every victory that you play without ironman is hollow and meaningless.

But honestly this game is pretty easy. Not in that it's easy to win because it's not but it's hard to lose. The aliens do very little to actively stop you. You can keep buying infinite soldiers and high explosives and skyrangers. Every fuckup on your part is really just a setback until you lose a base defence.
>>
File: Edd_sees_you.png (1MB, 1061x800px) Image search: [Google]
Edd_sees_you.png
1MB, 1061x800px
I haven't ever been able to finish a single game on ironman without getting a game over. I always lose hope and give up even on the easiest difficulty. How do I get good?

Also what do you guys think of Xenonauts?
>>
Does anybody NOT grind out laser cannons with hundreds of engineers? I think OpenXCom has an option to destroy dropped enemy weapons or something like that.
>>
>>3014459
all I remember is taking the aliens weapons and using them against them. And a lot of overlapping fire. Somehow I ended up with power Armour and homing rockets. I build a lot of scientist, a quarantine immediately. I build workshops and sell most the stuff I make? All I remember, many years ago.
>>
>>3014476
add small radar only bases so nobody pulls anything.
>>
>>3014459
My newest game I've resolved not to make laser cannons. I'm having my engineers mass produce med-kits instead but I have a feeling I'm not going to experience a real challenge unless I don't manufacture anything for profit and force myself to rely on council funds and artefact sales.

>>3014397
The number one trick. And this is in addition to but foremost of all of the other advice in this thread. Build laser cannons for profit. Get a base with 4 workshops and 140 engineers building laser cannons and sell them Open xcomhasa conveniant button on the manufacturing screento auto-sell what you build so build infinite cannons and sell them.

Playing this game, the only way you can truely get into trouble and lose (short of player fatigue and giving up) is if you run out of money to buy stuff. If you have 100 engineers making and selling laser cannons constantly you can afford to lose everything and just buy it back nothing can ever hurt you. If you lose a ship you buy it back. 14 guys covered in high explosives is a trivial cost when you mass produce laser cannons. If the council is upset that you didn't do a terror mission it doesn't matter because you don't need their money. If you're bad, just accept that you're bad. Prepare to lose several skyrangers and hundreds of men and know that it doesn't matter as long as you mass produce laser cannons.
>>
>>3014491
>Build laser cannons for profit.
Huh, I've never thought about that. Does this work in Xenonauts by any chance?
>>
>>3014491
>the only way you can truely get into trouble and lose (short of player fatigue and giving up) is if you run out of money to buy stuff
You can also lose by having two bad months (sufficiently negative score) in a row, or losing all your bases. Score is no problem once you have enough plasma cannons and hyperwave decoders, and if you have money you can build new bases.
>>
Differentfag here. I sometimes savescum but only if ultra bullshit happens like 6 guys getting knocked out at once by a Blaster Bomb.
>>
>>3015173
That's not ultra bullshit, that's you failing to spread your troops sufficiently. Don't forget that explosions are only one tile high, so once you get flying suits it's very easy to avoid this.
>>
>>3015184
>That's not ultra bullshit, that's you failing to spread your troops sufficiently
In UFO, yes you should definitely spread your troops out. TFTD unfortunately puts in a situation where you end up having to mass them because your guys can't spam auto fire.

>have to line guys up like British Redcoats to take down Lobstermen
>whoops, the Lobsty won't play along and instead just grenades all your dudes
>>
>>3015191
>>3015184
It's less of an issue once you have advanced equipment. One time I did a Lobsterman terror mission where all or almost all of the guys had Ion Armor and they got pelted with grenades several times, but the only casualties were still wearing Plastic Aqua Armor and the other soldiers got at most a couple scrapes and bruises.

Your casualty rate does drop a lot once everyone has advanced armor.
>>
>>3015191
>TFTD unfortunately puts in a situation where you end up having to mass them because your guys can't spam auto fire

Eh...depends. The best TFTD map are those sea bottom ones with the sand dunes and pipes. Lots of wide open space and nowhere for aliens to hide in. You can just spread everyone out in a wide line and in most cases get clear firing from halfway across the map.

Coral reef maps really suck. I hate those things.
>>
>>3012986
>You're not allowed to reload in the middle of a game. If you fuck up, you can restart a mission from the beginning

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwQHwHQ0T8
>>
>>3015230
Kind of, but DESU most of his difficulties in that mission were his own fault.

>not bringing grenades, med kits, or stun bombs
>>
I did a mixed crew cruise ship mission once and a Triscene spawned in the fucking kitchen. How did he even get in there? There's no double width doors.
>>
TFTD is harder but it's not that much harder than UFO Defense if you know what you're doing. I guess the biggest headache is the multipart missions but then again there's only certain locations where aliens spawn in and if you know where those are, it gets a lot easier.
>>
>>3014043
>>3014052
Aaah is there any other way to get the shit other than landed UFOs? I just lost all my interceptors to a terror ship (I ended up having to do the terror mission anyway at fucking night), things are getting desperate now, that was all my plasma cannons.
>>
>>3015442
>I just lost all my interceptors to a terror ship (I ended up having to do the terror mission anyway at fucking night), things are getting desperate now, that was all my plasma cannons

You didn't use aggressive attack on that thing, did you?
>>
>>3015446
No, cautious. It one-shotted two interceptors and crippled my avenger.
>>
>>3015467
Wut. I use standard attack on Terror Ships all the time once I have plasma cannons and I've never had one fire back. That shouldn't happen at all unless you use aggressive attack which puts the UFO in firing distance.
>>
>>3015484
Fuck sorry I got confused between two different events (terrifyingly they happened at the same time). The terror ship shot down my shitty interceptors that didn't have plasma cannons, my one that did was refueling, then a BATTLESHIP came on a retaliation mission while my team was coming back from the terror mission I failed to stop firing, and the battleship one shotted my Interceptor at cautious before it could get a shot in.

Laser canons are basically useless for anything other than profit, right?
>>
>>3015497
>The terror ship shot down my shitty interceptors that didn't have plasma cannons
Lesson learned. Don't attack Terror Ships without plasma cannons.
>my one that did was refueling, then a BATTLESHIP came on a retaliation mission while my team was coming back from the terror mission I failed to stop firing, and the battleship one shotted my Interceptor at cautious before it could get a shot in
Why the actual fuck were you attacking a Battleship with an Interceptor. Those things can put an Avenger in the shop for a month.
>>
>>3015546
sometimes I just follow them till they land. Then you get all stuff intact. As long as you get them before takeoff.
>>
UFOs on retaliation missions never land anyway.
>>
>>3015580
we are here to takeover! Who is the guy with the price gun marking all our stuff. You didn't have to taze me and stuff me in your backpack.
>>
>>3015497
>Laser cannons are basically useless for anything other than profit, right?

Yes.
>>
>>3015546
It was headed towards my main base on a retalitation mission, which had NO ONE IN due to the aforementioned Terror Mission.

>>3015586
Not even in your base?
>>
>>3015641
Technically they land in your base but the scouts never actually touch down that you could attack them.
>>
>>3015198
Ion armour in TFTD is really tough. Enough so that'd I'd risk letting guys take a shot or two. Powered armour on the other hand is still pretty weak.
>>
>>3015753
Power suits in UFO Defense make you completely immune to a frontal Heavy Plasma shot. Flying Suits only the under and rear armor can be penetrated. Ion Armor in TFTD has a somewhat different stat distribution; the front has a whopping 132 rating, but relatively weak under armor. It's also curious how your soldiers are still protected from smoke inhalation on land missions when they don't have a helmet on.
>>
>>3015767
Not true, you can still die to a frontal shot unless you are playing with loads of OpenXcom shit turned on
>>
>>3015776
You shouldn't die in a frontal shot because the armor rating is 100 in front and Heavy Plasma's actual damage rating is between 28 and 86.
>>
File: 250px-XCom_Apoc.jpg (51KB, 250x324px) Image search: [Google]
250px-XCom_Apoc.jpg
51KB, 250x324px
What does /vr/ think of X-com Apocalypse?
>>
>>3015803
I fucking love it, it's one of my favourite games ever.
>>
>>3015803
The idea of making you pay for damage to civilian property was interesting and compels you to avoid one of the most common UFO/TFTD tactics.
>>
>>3015803
Is OpenApoc ready yet?
>>
>>3015781
See, you have to remember that ranged weapons do between 25 and 75% of their rated damage. Thus HP cannot penetrate the front of a Power Suit.

To cite another example, the weakest alien is the Sectoid which has 30 health (all ranks) and 5 frontal armor. Therefore a standard rifle will require at minimum two shots to kill one, assuming it did the maximum possible damage (22). The laser rifle has a damage rating of 60, so this means anywhere from 15 to 45 damage. This means that laser rifles have roughly a 50% chance of OHKOing Sectoids and it will never take more than two shots to drop them.

Heavy Plasma's damage rating is 115, so this translate to 28 minimum and 86 maximum. Thus you have a 97% chance of OHKOing a Sectoid.
>>
hey fags, get a better pc and play xcom 2
>>
>>3015442
You can get lucky with shot down ufos, and the engine doesn't explode.

But yeah, the list of good sources goes:
Touched down Supply ship (150)
Touched down Battleship (200, but way more aliens.)
Alien base (varies wildly depending on tiles, but you can assault, shoot the power supplies, pick up the leerium, and gtfo. Useful to train troopers too... And Alien Heavy weapons sell for a ridiculous amount once you have enough for yourself.)
Touched down other ship (50xPower Supply)
Luck with a shot down ship. (50xSurviving Power Supply)

>>3015497
They're not even that great for profit, but they do offset the price of a workshop and it's engies quite handily.
When you don't have anything better for them to do. Like armor or advanced craft.

>>3015641
There're 1-2 battleships that proceed the actual base assault. Though, it's worth having a fair number of extra dudes and HWP in your base for exactly such incidents.

>>3016096
The damage roll is 0-200%, though their damage is overstated in the ingame UFOpedia. TftD uses 50-150%.
It is quite possible for a frontal plasma to kill a trooper in a Flying Powersuit.
It's less likely than any lesser armor, but it'll happen.

>>3016103
I plan to play FiraXCOM2, but I need my paychecks and return to roll in first.
I like their game, even if it stripped out all the simulationist aspects, and turned the ground game into a board-game.
>>
>>3016110
>[laser cannons are]not even that great for profit

They are fantastic for profit and can completely negate your need for council funds.
>>
>>3016110
Each power supply in a UFO has a fixed 75% chance of exploding in a crash.
>>
>>3016110
>There're 1-2 battleships that proceed the actual base assault

Actually the way retaliation missions work is that a Small Scout comes first, then if it fails to find your base, several Medium and Large Scouts follow. If they still don't find your base, a pair of Battleships are sent before the aliens finally give up.
>>
I had an argument in the old thread about whether aliens get full blast psionic strength or not (when you use MC attacks, the chance of success weakens the further away you are from the target). After doing a Tasoth trawler mission, I can say safely that the aliens do have more success with mind controlling the closer they are to the target. I noticed that at the start of the mission, there were only two dudes that got targeted, but as my soldiers advanced through the ship, others began to be attacked.

The first two soldiers meanwhile kept getting targeted throughout the mission. My take is that these guys had really weak (probably 0-15) psionic strength so aliens could hit them from halfway across the map, but the other guys couldn't be attacked until they were closer. Especially because the last alien left was a Tasoth squad leader who kept MCing one nearby soldier. I waited several turns, but he would not leave the soldier alone and I couldn't regain control of him. I had no choice but to shoot the alien and advance to part 2 without the guy because he was still under alien influence.
>>
>>3015781
How come it has happened to me multiple times? Single shot face on from a HP, killing someone in FLYING ARMOUR. Not from underneath, or the side, or behind, but the front.
>>
>>3016341
Cause that anon is wrong. Heavy Plasma can one shot you,even from the front.
>>
>>3016096
>See, you have to remember that ranged weapons do between 25 and 75% of their rated damage
AFAIK this figure applies to terrain and not units.

Thus the laser rifle is rated at 60 damage. This means if you shoot a wall, the damage roll varies between 15-45, but if you shoot an alien, the 0-200% figure is used so to use your example of a Sectoid (30 health, 5 frontal armor) it means that roughly 8% of laser rifle shots will do no damage to the alien from the front as they'll fail to pierce his armor. The maximum possible damage a laser rifle can do is 120, which will 2HKO a Muton (130 health).

Heavy Plasma can do as much as 240 damage to a unit which is instant OHKO of anything in the game, even a Sectopod from the front.
>>
Explosives in both UFO and TFTD do a fixed 50% damage to terrain, but firearms do between 50 and 150% damage in the latter.
>>
I just modified small launchers to use an arc trajectory like a grenade launcher. I also got a mod that gives them an explosive ammunition. Really loving it.
>>
Two questions:

What mods do you guys use for Open Xcom?

How do you get TFTD working with Open Xcom assuming you bought a steam copy? Apparently it doesn't work with the regular version.
>>
>>3017012
No mods.

Put your UFO files in openxcom/ufo and your TFTD files in openxcom/tftd

http://openxcom.org/2015/08/terror-from-the-deep-now-available-in-the-nightlies/

The tree should look like this, though this page doesn't have TFTD folder, the idea is the same

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)
>>
File: Cyberdisc in action.png (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberdisc in action.png
37KB, 1280x720px
>>3008334
Found a mod that allows XCOM to salvage cyberdisc wrecks

Honestly it makes te game a bit more fun since theres a nice payout for keeping cyberdiscs fro just blowing themselves up
>>
>>3016492
Also, aliens' reactions and firing/throwing accuracy improves on higher difficulty settings although their other stats remain the same aside from armor, which is halved on Beginner.
>>
>>3016492
The most powerful ranged weapon in the game is the Celatid's acid spit, which is rated at 140 damage. Translated, the maximum damage this can do is 280 (!).

When attacking terrain where the 25-75% figure applies, the damage range is between 25 and 105, which means that the Celatid's attack has about a 4% chance of penetrating UFO outer hulls. That stuff's powerful.
>>
>>3017469
UFOpedia has damage figures for all UFO Defense terrain objects but there's nothing for TFTD. I guess because TFTD has about 3x as many tiles/terrain objects to catalog, nobody wants to bother figuring all that out.
>>
>>3017479
Shouldn't they be in the source of OpenXcom?
>>
>>3016498
>Explosives in both UFO and TFTD do a fixed 50% damage to terrain

Also most walls have a "blocking" tag which means that explosions will not travel beyond the wall. Diagonal walls don't block explosions which is a trick you can exploit to grenade aliens inside a UFO.
>>
>>3017479
Since TFTD weapons do fixed 50% damage to terrain, it's pretty much binary - either a weapon destroys the object or it doesn't.
>>
>>3016428
I knew it
>>
in
>>
Sectoids finish last in the human race
>>
>>3014397
>I haven't ever been able to finish a single game on ironman without getting a game over. I always lose hope and give up even on the easiest difficulty
That's what I said.
>>
>>3023636
Have you tried not losing hope and giving up? Not losing hope and giving up has been something that I've had to do on every playthrough.

It's not gonna be easy. There are gonna be setbacks. But humanity'sat stake.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.