[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games you discovered through Classic Game Room

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 5

File: mark_cgr.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mark_cgr.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
What are some games you discovered through Classic Game Room or other video reviews? I found a new respect for a bunch of shmup titles that I never would have heard of before. I never grew up with sega consoles in the house so I never heard of the Thunder Force series for one.

>tfw Mark will die in your lifetime
>>
I have /vr/ to learn about games from, so I don't need to waste time by looking at any reviewer.
>>
He's probably the only reviewer on youtube that i genuinely respect. Im a great Atari fan, and the dedication he puts to his videos is awesome. And the most important thing: he barely reviews mainstream shit that every dork loves to talk to.
>>
>>3007278
Calling what Mark does "reviews" is incorrect. Mark does "first look"'s. Calling what he does a review is fucking laughable, because he often gets information blatantly wrong.
>>
Didn't he pretty much abandon his channel in a butthurt rage about something
>>
>>3007339
No.
>>
>>3007339
quite the contrary, he has a Patreon going on now that's fueling the channel more than ever before.

Maybe he did in the past? I only got into this recently
>>
>>3007339
From what I understand:

Youtube ad revenue began screwing him over
So he started posting on his own site
But fewer people were watching reviews
So he came back
Still not getting enough ad revenue
So he killed off undertow and almost quit
Discovered patreon and it's business as usual
>>
>>3007207
>10k a month

Those vectrex jokes sure are expensive.

I respect Mark and I enjoy his videos but nowadays they're little more than fan pandering. It's only blah blah blah, flamethrower this, el camino that, yada yada 80s movie reference... and so on.

Even Mark seems tired of that but he keeps dong it since retards won't stop trowing money at him.
>>
>>3007207
I found out about some atari 2600 and sg-1000 games through him and I respect him a lot since he does what he likes and seems to genuinely enjoy it.
>>
Mark is an unfunny retard. Why does /vr/ eat his shit up? Get this eceleb shit out of here
>>
>>3007403
He's likable. Unlike you.
>>
He's the only gaming e-celeb I actually respect.
>>
>>3007432
Not even jontron? Eh... No skin off my bones.
>>
>>3007428
This, he's not laugh out loud funny but he's so charmingly laid back, like a cool uncle. For me if I'm interested in a certain retro game I usually look up his review of it first, for me his videos are a very useful tool.
>>
>>3007339
YouTube's ad system fucked him over so he tried to move to his own site, but that killed his view count, so we went back but was still getting fucked over by the ad system so he set up a Patreon.

I give him $5 a month, all hail Lord Karnage.
>>
>>3007207
Mega Turrican, and obviously Truxton.
>>
>>3007468

even Jon is decent, hes one more in the ocean of reviewers on Youtube. Mark in exchange has been reviewing games since 1999 and playing since gen 2.
>>
I watch a video of his once in awhile, but man he's bland. How many times can you do the "put game into wrong console" gag and think it's funny?
>>
>>3007468
Jon is an unfunny tubalard lookin motherfucker. He was alright on Gamegrumps though. It's weird how his adlib humor is much better than whatever he comes up with in writing for his show.
>>
>>3007640

le truxton XD
>>
was he the one that did those old tapes where the guy went to different game conferences and listened to advertisements such as by Ocean and Konami? Or am I thinking of someone else?
>>
File: Captain Huhmerica.jpg (135KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Huhmerica.jpg
135KB, 1280x853px
>>3007207

NOT IF I DIE FIRST FAGGOT!!!
>>
>>3007207
Omega Boost is the only one that comes to mind. Damn that games epic. Also Gyruss because he reviewed the famicom version. When I start getting a famicom collection going I'll definitely refer back to his reviews though.
>>
>>3007403
Because he isn't trying to be funny, he's being helpful. He provides basic insight on games many of us would never touch if not for him and is just a cool dude with an insane game collection.
>>
>>3007428
lmao rekd
>>
>>3007207
That guy looks old enough to be my dad. Jeez, and how long has he been playing games?
>>
I WANT MARK TO BE MY DAD
>>
File: zeliard.jpg (116KB, 568x432px) Image search: [Google]
zeliard.jpg
116KB, 568x432px
Zeliard through LGR
>>
>>3007207
Here's a pic of ever game I discovered through youtube.
>>
>>3007207
Gigawing 2, I had owned a dreamcast for years but for some reason just hadn't tried that game, fuck I can't believe I could have been playing it all these years.
>>
>>3007942
My dad is like the complete opposite of Mark. My dad is an angry, wrathful workaholic who hates video games and all forms of electronic entertainment.
>>
>>3007207
Stop spamming this nobody, I've never heard of him until today when he has 15 threads created.

Face it, Arino wins.
>>
Literally never watched anything by him, any suggestions?
>>
>>3011704
Sengoku 3, it's very in-depth.
>>
>>3011704
Tokyo Beatdown
>>
>>3007207
Same here anon, given quite a few NES shooters a go that I would have never played if not for CGR. Mark is the only youtube reviewer I watch.
>>
>>3011704
The R-Zone! Cosmic Carnage! Undertow's Ocarina of Time/ Cosmic Carnage review!
>>
>>3007313
Mark is a video game cataloger
His reviews aren't the most in-depth but that's not what we watching him for
>>
>>3007468
Jontron hasn't been funny in years
I remember when he did funny shit like his Bubsy review
He got worse over the years and then sold out to Disney
>>
>>3007403
Call us when you have a Radio Voice retard
>>
>>3007673
>He was alright on Gamegrumps though
No he wasn't and you're a grade a retard
Game Grumps was cancer and was Jon's worse shit in his e-celeb career

Jon was at it's best from 2010 to 2012 pre-Gay Grumps shit
After that he hasn't been nearly as funny and is lazy as fuck...and then he sold out to Disney
>>
>>3007848
>implying you will live until year 2084
>>
>>3011704
1999-2000
>Seaman
>Ecco the Dolphin for Dreamcast
>Star Wars Episode 1 Racer(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhI5pPA0t8)

2008-2015
>Any racing game
>Ridge Racer 7
>Truxton
>GTA Reviews
etc.

He has way too many reviews...just search for some random shit you're likely to find any game and he might have reviewed it
>>
I bought a 7800 just because his video on how he grew up with it and how he still plays it.

I'm oddly loving the hell out of it still and still have drunk Ballblazer sessions with friends.
>>
Mark made me realize that the Genesis was a better console than the SNES.
>>
>>3007207
>What are some games you discovered through Classic Game Room or other video reviews?

None, because all e-celeb shit is cancer. I quickly lost interest in YouTube when all these faggots started inundating the site with "Let's Play" series and other commentated garbage. If I'm going to look up gameplay footage, all I want to see is a sample of actual gameplay. I don't give a fuck about some neckbeard faggot's blow-by-blow description of his play style, much less do I care about Mark or Fagtron or any other e-celeb's subjective thoughts on games I've already played.

And now this shit is being plastered all over /vr/. At least have the consideration to give these shitty threads a universal label like /ecelebshit/ so I can more easily filter them.
>>
>>3012962
>My mom wouldn't buy me a camera in 2009 to make YouTube vids with
>Sour grapes as fuck

It's ok, I feel the same way.
>>
>>3012968
Then I killed the thread with the truth.
>>
>>3007207

>implying Future Mark and the Vectrex won't take his place
>>
>>3007207
Love CGR, but man I wish there was another show on the internet like the old school 1999-2000 Game Room. Something about that format is super cool and there's not much else like it on YouTube.
>>
>>3012968
>Projecting: The Post
>>
>>3007339
Youtube makes everyone butthurt at some point.
>>
>>3014074
The Nerd and his Cuckbuddy are trying and failing to do something like that. But they have annoying voices and zero chemistry outside of the word "fuck".
>>
>>3007361
He really needs to fire Derek. Derek is the reason I avoid undertow like the plague. His 12 year old sounding voice and low intelligence are pain to sit through.
>>
>>3015741
I thought Derek said his goodbyes when Undertow was axed.
>>
>>3015747
Oh so Undertow was axed? I thought "business as usual" meant he brought them back. Good, it needs to stay that way.
>>
>>3015750
CGR undertow was awful. CGR is going to get worse and worse since Mark has to pander to his patreon crowd now instead of doing what he wants.

Such is the life of a modern youtuber or streamer. Forced to debase yourself for dirty money instead of just having a real job and doing it for fun.
>>
I agree he needs to make a living and would not keep doing this if not for his patreon, but did anybody notice Mark turning extra obnoxious as soon as 2016 started? Not so much for the "thank you for supporting me and blablabla", more like a little bit of his passion somehow died and he's already tired of this stuff. I caught him gasping once or twice and his videos feel poor on content, he's also going full-on memes lately and more aggressive than he really needs to be, something I cannot get out my head is that it was told by some dumb supporters to act like this.

I would have been fine with the hobby route if you ask me. Fortunately the thousands of pre-2016 videos are still there.
>>
>>3015764
>>3015756
Fuck, got ninja'd.
>>
>>3015764

When you make a rather significant decision in your life, it usually takes a lot of build up, a lot of time thinking about it, and calculating whether or not it was worth it.

Things like movings houses, getting married, quitting your job, going back to school are all things you don't do haphazardly.

Mark clearly spent a lot of time thinking about what he wants to do. He decided to stop Classic Gameroom to focus on other projects he was more interested in. That was obviously not an easy or spontaneous decision. He obviously put a lot of thought and care into deciding to stop CGR and start something new.

So he decided to quit, and he actually did. He quit CGR, it was over. He was released from his obligations and could pursue his other projects.

Then people make him aware of patreon, and how he can make way more income via that model, on top of now not having to pay that moron from CGRundertow that's just more money in the bank. So he reluctantly returns, because he's now second guessing his decision, and it's possible his new projects don't pan out.

So now since he's doing things actively for the people who are supporting him you're going to have a lot less leeway in what you do, since if you make these people upset they could pull out their contributions and you're back at square one.

I don't like that, and I think it marks the end of quality content being produced. When you stop trying to monetize your videos with ads, you now are not reliant on view numbers, and instead are reliant on your patreon supporters. You could have a really shitty show, that 10 people watch, and it would be "worth it" if you had the support to go forward with it. It definitely encourages a circle jerk to your supporters. It turns you from a guy working on a project he's passionate about to a dancing monkey looking for a tip.

It's embarrassing. You can tell Mark isn't totally happy with the arrangement but it's better then the alternatives at this point.
>>
>>3015764
Sounds like the placebo effect, anon.
Mark has been meme-ing for years.
>>
>>3007468
Jontron is cringe worthy.
>>
>>3014074
Yup
Marh Bussler & David Crosson were the Siskel & Ebert of Video Games
>>
>>3015756
What? He's always done that
The only annoying thing about the Patreon thing are the stupid thank you's at the end of each videos...I always skip that shit
>>
>>3015795
I'll dance like a monkey for $120,000 a year just from patreon.

But you are completely right. His new videos just don't have that charm anymore. It has the "fuck, now I have to do this" vibe. It won't last because he's literally going to get burnt the fuck out in 5 years time. But rest assured, as long as the money is there, he will dance his monkey ass off. Eventually the patreons will see it and the funding will be slowly dwindled down to next to nothing.
>>
>>3012953
You dig it? I've actually been thinking about picking one up myself.
>>
>>3015764
>>3015795
>>3017353

Jesus this is why these threads are frequently bad. I just want to talk about how much I like CGR and what I've discovered through it and here you guys are talking about this guy like you know him personally. Consider getting a life.
>>
>>3007207
I hope he lives to see the year 2084 at least.
>>
>>3017361
negative opinions are always louder than positive ones, that's just how it is
>>
>>3011704
Barney the Dinosaur's Hide and Seek game
>>
When it comes to racing games and/or arcade oriented titles he has God Tier taste and successfully giving an insight of the game in few minutes.
>>
>>3017369
no that's not the point, you guys are publicly debating over things you can't know, thus spreading rumours. Just calm down and give Mark a bit of time to adjust to this new situaton. We all have to look forward how the channel develops, and based on how much content he throws out i feel very confident.
>>
>>3017594
1/4 of some of his videos is thanking patreon supporters.

Thats it for me.
>>
>>3017597
Just don't watch those videos? It isn't like it is hard to avoid.
>>
>>3017597
well if that isn't a very positive thing ...

To me that shows that he's very grateful about the donations. I think he just sees this as an obligation to the people giving him money. That's the right way to show gratitude.
>>
>>3017605

You don't even need to not watch those videos. Just watch the videos as normal, wait for "welcome to the club, it's the Lord Karnage club" and close the video. Not like you're missing anything after that.
>>
File: 1440609542258.png (94KB, 306x243px) Image search: [Google]
1440609542258.png
94KB, 306x243px
>>3007207
>recommends dark spire
>try it out
>its a watered down version of Wizardry 1 in a shit setting
>>
File: image.png (105KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105KB, 500x480px
>>3015756
Except that the patreon allows him to do what he wants, that's the exact point. You now realize that doing what he wants equals EDFposting and being really extra weird. This is his final form. Catering to the patreon? Doesn't even make sense lol. I'm a 20$ backer, I have no say in what he does. Marks a decent guy I'm just fucking glad he stopped those forced reviews of newer releases.

I found a lot of cool Sega titles through CGR, but LGR definitely found a lot of dos titles I want to try as well as spurred an appreciation for Apogee and 3D realms.

I don't understand why people get so fucking mad about this stuff, it's just YouTube, and usually it's contained to a mature discussion. There's way worse stuff here that bothers me but besides this bit ill never complain cause I'm not an asshole lol.
>>
>>3017679
>shit posting this hard and making shit up
>>
>>3017679
He actually has a lot of experience in marketing and media, he could get a cushy white collar job easilly if he wanted to.
>>
>>3017679
>balding
Surprisingly, he's not. Motherfucker has a better hairline than me.
>>
>>3017689
>>3017690
He's pushing the same faggoty cuck meme as with James Rofle.
>>
>>3007339

With all the copyright shit he was getting on youtube he moved to his own site.
His own site got less views so he went back to youtube.
His production has been upgraded considerable and the ad revnue wasn't enough to sustain it.
Then certain channels started using his video's without his permission(WatchMojo) and some didn't even credit him.
He refused to upgrade to modern standards and announced the ending of CGR, but his fanbase told him to get a patreon and thats what he is doing right.

Undertow was axed and everyone is off doing their own things now.
>>
>>3017702
Do you know what they're doing now or is it just implied?
>>
He made me realize how good Sega used to be. I was always more of a Nintendo kid even though I owned a Master System and a Mega Drive, he made me realize that those consoles have a lot more to offer than I thought they did. I started buying Mega Drive games again not too long ago and I want to get a Dreamcast. It's like I'm starting to become a Sega fanboy twenty years late.
>>
>>3017702
Huh, you know I had noticed watchmojo using his footage a ton, didn't realize they hadn't asked permission.
>>
>>3017704

Just implied, but I do think Derek had plans for the ending of Undertow, no idea what the others are going to do, if they plan on staying in the youtube business.
>>
>>3017717

If you go back and watch his video's about CGR ending, you can tell that he was completely pissed about even though he never mentioned by name. I don't know who used his video and didn't credit him, but watch mojo did credit CGR in the video.
>>
>>3017715
welcome to the losers team
>>
also it's weird how op never heard of thunder force when it's shilled to death in this board
>>
>>3017715
Sega games to me are so appealing because they are almost completely different to the nintendo design ethos, they have that unique sega style. Nintendo still makes nintendo games, indies still make nintendo games but sega style games seem almost exclusively stuck to those old consoles.
>>
I'm probably going to get cricified for saying this, but I'm bored with CGR because Mark only reviews Atari 2600 games now. They're awfully crude and hard to appreciate.
>>
>>3017864
>>Mark only reviews Atari 2600 games now.

What do you mean? He's still reviewing other console games.
>>
>>3017864
He's done two 2600 games since the start of 2016.
>>
>>3017717
There are a couple of videos (mostly the Q&A ones) where he mentions how much he hates shitty clickbait top ten videos that literally anyone could make and channels that get away with stealing his footage. I think he wrote a comment on one of his own videos where he mentions WatchMojo by name. It makes sense that Mark is pissed off at Youtube because he keeps getting his videos taken down for bullshit copyright claims but cancer like watchmojo can steal his footage and Youtube won't do jack shit about it. He also doesn't like how shit like reaction channels get millions of views per video and he can barely get 10.000 on some of them.
>>
>>3017864
>Mark only reviews Atari 2600 games now.
Out of the last 60 videos on Mark's channel only 3 of them are reviews of Atari 2600 games.
>>
>>3018013
what video is that?
>>
Even Mohammed from Qatar and Felicity from Westershire couldn't save his channel
>>
>>3017679

>2016.

>Throwing your money away via cuckfunding.
>>
I wish I had a sweet gig like Mark does. I'm jelly.
>>
>>3007428
I think you made that anon cry kek
>>
>>3017665
>I don't understand why people get so fucking mad about this stuff
Because this is 4chinks. Its absolutely paramount that we constantly be mad and negative about every single fucking thing.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.