[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mega Drive or Dreamcast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 8

File: latest.jpg (129KB, 1024x632px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
129KB, 1024x632px
I want to buy a sega console and I can't decide which one.
Saturn is way to expensive to collect and in the master system I am just not interested.
Therefore I have to decide between the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast.
right now I am more in favour of the mega drive, but that's just kind of a general feeling, not based on anything.
So which console do you guys think is better?
Consider that I am from Pal-Land.
Also give reason why I should buy the console you suggest.
Thanks.
>>
>>2998335
I would say mega drive just because it would be hard to go back from the Dreamcast but the Dreamcast is easy to burn all the games and still gets commercial releases
>>
>>2998335
>collect

*sigh*
>>
>>2998335
Get a dreamcast
burn the entire library
figure out what you like
>>
dreamcast because you can just burn cds and it's relatively cheap right now
stop collecting shit just to collect shit dumb ass
>>
>>2998335
Mega Drive is the more reliable console compared to the Dreamcast, but PAL ports were usually pretty shoddy.

Dreamcast has many great independent and homebrew games, but is rather noisy.

Pick your poison, I personally own a Mega Drive. I would love a Dreamcast, but I don't have room or money to get a collection going right now.
>>
"Collectors" have moved on to Genesis stuff now too so prices are rising
>>
>>2998374
>I will never own Splatterhouse 2 or 3
:(

But I got Addam's Family for $7 :) guaranteed to give me literally minutes of fun :)

:(
>>
>>2998369
>>2998348
How easy would it be exactly? I guess they don't run burned games naturally?

>>2998371
I am not collecting for the sake of collecting. I am just really interested in Gaming and I own some consoles but no sega, yet. So I am just excited about owning and playing one. But if I want to have one I also need to gave games. And I am not that kind of guy that plays 5 game and is fine with that. Therefore I need to collect that shit to have enough options.
>>
>>2998369
Or spend the same as the spindle of CDs on a Chinese Everdrive for the MD and have the entire library there

OP you just need to decide if you want a console that is fully old school or one that's almost modern. Phantasy Star 4 or Skies of Arcadia? Shadowrun or Shenmue? Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition or Marvel vs Capcom 2? Sonic or Sonic Adventure? Alien Soldier or Jet Set Radio? Standard Definition or progressive scan?
>>
>>2998430
"In order to play games that have been burned to CD, your Dreamcast must have been made before October 2000. Newer Dreamcasts have changes made to the way discs are read which prevents backed up games from playing."
>>
>>2998432
The Problem is, that I am not sure whether I want a more modern one or a full old school one. Considering that I own an Atari, SNES as well as a PS1 I think I the Dreamcast would be the more rational option due to the fact that it offers more opportunities. But for some reason I just love fucking cartridges and a CD will never give such a good feeling as a cartridge.
>>
>>2998443
If it has a 2 in a circle on the bottom it won't play burned games. If t has a 1 in the circle or an empty circle it will, which is like 90% of Dreamcasts.
>>
just get the mega drive, it's the classic
>>
>>2998449
Then I agree that Dreamcast will better fill in the current holes in your collection, from a generalist perspective. Also, Genesis is much simpler to emulate in the mean time. There's even Genesis emulators on Dreamcast.
>>
>>2998335
You should buy neither. Save that $10 for a time when you're really hungry and use it to buy instant noodles. For someone who has to choose between two $10 consoles that time could be soon.
>>
>>2998386
Do not post emoticons
>>
>>2998481
or what? some faggot autist like you will get triggered and call them new? OH NO
>>
>>2998478
Oh wow. 10$? Where do you live? In Europe you habe to pay like 50€ for a Mega Drive and like 70€ for a Dreamcast. If it would be 10$ I would have bought both within a second.
>>
>>2998449
I would not get a dreamcast for collecting. Quite frankly, I do not think that highly of the DC library and Shenmue is the only exclusive that really stands out to me.
>>
>>2998494
D2, Frame Gride, Evolution 1 & 2, Illbleed, Seventh Cross, Hyper-Magnetic Neo and Toy Commander are all good games. It's not Dreamcast's fault its library was so good most of it got ported.
>>
>>2998526
>It's not Dreamcast's fault its library was so good most of it got ported.

But most of the ports are just superior as well. It would make me wonder why I even bother to collect dreamcast games.
>>
>>2998335
> So which console do you guys think is better?
Megadrive
But I would suggest buying the Dreamcast, since Genesis is a lot easier to emulate on everywhere.
>>
>>2998432
> Phantasy Star 4 or Skies of Arcadia? Shadowrun or Shenmue? Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition or Marvel vs Capcom 2? Sonic or Sonic Adventure? Alien Soldier or Jet Set Radio?
Such unfair question, they are all good
>>
saturn. don't chicken out
>>
>>2998616
Shit is way to expensive
>>
>>2998491
>€50
>for a Mega Drive
Don't know where your from but where I am, you could easily get one for about 15 to 20 euro.
>>
Both. You can never have too many Sega consoles. They're awesome. You should probably start with the Mega Drive though.
>>
>>2998335
>collect

Lol
>>
>>2998491
I don't live in Eurostan. If you do pretend your an underage immigrant and I'm sure they'll give you one for free. Obviously you don't need to pretend about the underage part.
>>
>>2998335

Well, the Dreamcast only has two games.

lol. You should get a Genesis.

Unless you want to play, and only ever play, Gunbird 2 and Giga-Wing.

At least the Genesis has Phantasy Star IV, Rocket Knight Adventure, Thunder Force IV, etc.
>>
>>2998386
CIB spatterhouse 2 goes for about $50 dollars where i live, and MK3 costs around $30. And it's only rising.
>>
You should get both, but if you could only pick one i would go with the Genesis/Mega Drive. The flash carts for it aren't as good as the Nintendo console ones, and the games are starting to go up in price. If you don't care about the games complete with box and manual then they are still really affordable. Even then collecting for Mega Drive isn't anywhere near as expensive as SNES.

Dreamcast I can see being cheaper for another year or so, especially if you want the games complete in box. There are a few pricey games that are pretty rare like Project Justice and Cannon Spike. If you desperately want to play something Dreamcast games are easy to burn.
>>
>>3001743
You're a massive faggot if you have a Dreamcast and you've only played Gunbird 2 and Giga-Wing.
>>
>>3001865

> You're a massive faggot if you have a Dreamcast and you've only played Gunbird 2 and Giga-Wing.

lol, the computer starts a fight with me... ho ho ho. let's see what happens, bro. let's see what happens on-line. YEAH FUCK YOU. take that you fucking keyboard. yeah, you like getting smashed against the desk, huh? you want me to buy a new one, huh?
>>
>>3001776
Apparently you don't live on ebay, because SH2 is about twice that there.

>**RARE**

>>3001865
I use it for Yu Suzuki gameworks mainly
>>
>>3002150
Only eBabies live on eBay.
>>
>>2998526
>>2998553

But most of them didn't get ported. Like for example, none of the games you mentioned.
>>
>>2998443
Though it's worth noting that if
OP is part of the PAL master race then this is only an issue for NTSC systems.
>>
If you plan on collecting but Saturn is too expensive, then Mega Drive. The Mega Drive is still fairly cheap (though rising, as are all things) whereas the Dreamcast is actually pretty costly to collect for.
>>
>>3003051
A console you can burn discs for is cheaper to collect for than a cart based system. Enough discs for the entire Saturn library will cost less than a flash cart for the MD.
>>
so I just got a genesis/mega drive version 1, unfortunately and I dunno any games to actually get

pls spoonfeed
>>
>>2998335
Saturn isn't expensive to collect for at all, assuming you buy a japanese model or an action replay. I collect for saturn and dreamcast and I find the dreamcast is generally more expensive, especially for the capcom games.
>>
>>2998335
Genesis > Master System > Dreamcast > Game Gear > Saturn > 32X > CD > Pico
>>
File: sor2.png (268KB, 300x410px) Image search: [Google]
sor2.png
268KB, 300x410px
>>3004528
>>
>>3004528
>version 1, unfortunately

On the fucking contrary?
>>
>>3004528

the first Genesis model is the best for audio and (most of the time) video, you cuck.
>>
>>3002142
Back to /v/
>>
>>3004658
>>3004680
I mean, it's mono and I'm not really good at modding shit.

Also I dunno where to get an s-video cable (plus my tv doesn't really take s-video)
>>
File: 20151125_134404.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20151125_134404.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3004528
Model 1 is best model, dumbass. Stereo sound and HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS written on the fucker.
>>
>>3004780
>stereo sound

Like I said, I only have A/V so it's only mono for me.
>>
>>3004818

you can get stereo from the headphone jack and plug it directly into the TV's red and white inputs.
>>
>>3004820
Wow I'm dumb.
>>
>>3004778
SCART cable nigga.
>>
>>3003194
That's not collecting.

If we're just talking about PLAYING the games (which I personally would, but that's not what OP asked for), then I would probably still go with the Mega Drive, personally, because I like action platformers and hate 1 on 1 fighting games. Both are very worthy consoles though.

But OP mentioned about how the Saturn is too expensive to collect for. I don't think he was talking about burning CDs.
>>
>>3006371
If he's from the third world country known as the United States then many TVs don't take SCART.
>>
>>3006395
If OP can't afford $1 for Japanese Saturn games his only option is to collect CDRs
>>
>>2998335
Go with a dreamcast you cant go wrong. Get yerself some nice games like egg and evolution. Maybe some fightan games, and house of the deads
>>
>>3006492
>1$
Nice meme, but some Japanese Saturn games are 6k yen-20k yen.
>>
>>2998335
I don't get it. I just don't fucking understand. Why do so many people need decisions made for them about their own personal interests? It's not even like the choices you're looking at are even remotely similar, each system is pretty fucking different, you'd figure you'd have your own personal taste, and would be able to figure out which system appeals the most to you by looking at the games available and seeing which one has more that immediately interest you.

It's almost as if you're some hipster, late-'90s child who wants to get into a retro video game system just because, and you don't particularly care which one, as long as you can have it on display.
>>
>>3002297
Wow you're retarded
>>
File: snufkin.png (132KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
snufkin.png
132KB, 550x413px
>>3004618
>32X > CD

Snatcher, Lunar, Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, Popful Mail, Final Fight, Robo Aleste, Space Adventure Cobra etc etc vs. ... Kolibri? Ports of Space Harrier and After Burner that are better on the Saturn?
>>
File: 1415226566883.jpg (33KB, 467x500px) Image search: [Google]
1415226566883.jpg
33KB, 467x500px
>>3004618
>>Game Gear > Saturn

Literally what? the Gamegear library was almost entirely made up of half resolution Master System games, Only exclusives I can even think of were that one Golden Axe game and Phantasy star, which was later re released on the CD in much better quality. And that's not even mentioning that shitty ghosting screen.

The Saturn on the other hand had Arcade perfect ports of many fighting games, a whole slew of fantastic Shmumps and a handful of really bizzare fantastic games like Enemy Zero and Mr Bones. Hell, the CD
>>
>>3008315
>Literally what? the Gamegear library was almost entirely made up of half resolution Master System games, Only exclusives I can even think of were that one Golden Axe game and Phantasy star, which was later re released on the CD in much better quality. And that's not even mentioning that shitty ghosting screen.
GG Shinobi I and II > Shinobi Legions
>>
>>3008315
You're thinking of Shining Force not Phantasy Star but I agree anyone who thinks Game Gear is better than Saturn has something wrong with them.
>>
>>3008345
Ah okay, my bad. Not really a fan of the series, which admittedly might be part of why I don't love the gamegear, though 2 exclusives doesn't really seem all that great to me.
>>
>>2998349
What's wrong with collecting?
>>
Dreamcast.
You can burn games to CDs, you can still play online (but only on a few games though), and the controller is greatNot that the controller is the most important fundamental, at least not in this thread. Collecting for the system is worth all the effort.
>>
>>3008186
>im an eBaybie
Obviously. I have dozens of of 50-100 yen games that confirm it.
>>
>>3009000
>im an eBaybie
Nice, but try again.
I mostly check suruga-ya and yja, and while there are lots of 100-200 yen games (and great games), some other games are really expensive, shmups are especially guilty
>>
>>3009076
You admit lying about the prices. Why not come clean on where you shop and your age as well?
>>
>>3004618
this has got to be bait
>>
>>3002142
>this autism
>>
>>3001786
Didn't believe you when you said Project Justice was rare - bought it for £10 a few years back - so checked eBay. £56 with 5 days to go. Love the game but wtf.
>>
>>3009386
>lying about the prices
What?
>Why not come clean on where you shop
Usually bulk order at suruga-ya, their prices usually match other stores and YJA.
http://www.suruga-ya.jp/search?category=20014&search_word=&restrict[]=hardsoft=ソフト&restrict[]=price=%5B6000%2C%2A%5D
All these games are 6000 JPY or more. Radian Silvergun, Cotton, Madou Monogatari, Linda Cubed. All of them are expensive. Definitely not 1 USD like you said here >>3006492
>>
>>2998335
Whichever one that interests you most.
>>
>>2998616
Fuck off Saturn prices rose up again. I don't need even more people driving them up.
>>
Let's see, a console from the enlightened, quality, pre-1995 era of gaming or a console from the post-1995 era where gaming went to absolute shit.

Hard choice there, OP.

CAN WE PLEASE MAKE /vr/ PRE-1995 ALREADY JESUS FUCK
>>
>>3008315
>The Saturn on the other hand had Arcade perfect ports of many fighting games, a whole slew of fantastic Shmumps and a handful of really bizzare fantastic games like Enemy Zero and Mr Bones. Hell, the CD

Most of which cost an assload of money now.
>>
>>3010263
Saturn launched in 94.
>>
>>3010263
Anti-3Dfags are sad.
>>
>>2998335
Let's see, pick the console that made Sega a star, or pick the console that bankrupted them.

Genesis it is!
>>
>>3010281
>or pick the console that bankrupted them.

But he said he didn't want Saturn.
>>
>>3010285
Saturn was a massive success [in Japan] and sold more units globally than N64.
>>
>>3010285
>>3010296

Where's this revisionist history coming from? Saturn did not outsell N64, and Sega profited every year in the Saturn era. it was the Dreamcast that killed them.
>>
>>3010302
I think he means that Saturn outsold N64 in Asia, which it did.
>>
>>3001776
MK 3 is going for 30 dollars?
What the fuck, I got MK3 boxed with manual for 8 dollars not even two years ago. MK 2 32x boxed was only 7 and UMK3 loose was less than 4, what is going on?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (60KB, 804x400px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
60KB, 804x400px
>>3010307
I don't know where the hell OP is at but MK3 on ebay is only like twice as much as a paid for it CIB about two years ago. If it's that cheap there it should be extremely cheap damn near anywhere else unless there's some shortage copies of MK3 outside the US I never heard of.
>>
>>3010281
Hmm, nah, the 32x is way too pricey.
>>
>>3010308
And even then, for box and manual 12 dollars is not horrible.

I do know that UMK3 had some very small print runs in a few PAL countries (like 5000 copies), and due to being a very late GEN/MD release would make it valuable, but as far as I know Vanilla MK 3 was common as fuck everywhere.
>>
>>3010315
I only paid $40 USD for my 32X a few years back.

But I laughed.
>>
>>3010317
Yeah another thing to keep in mind is I just lazily took that cap of the top two listings. I'm sure you could find it even cheaper if you snooped around for a bit.
>>
>>2998335
Buy a Dreamcast and emulate the Genesis. Just avoid the late models like the 2001 models because you can't play burnt games on them.
>>
File: Spooked-Kitten.jpg (108KB, 525x462px) Image search: [Google]
Spooked-Kitten.jpg
108KB, 525x462px
Mega Drive is a spooky console.

>Be teen back in the 90s
>Rarely had money, so uninformed about which games are gr8
>Get the chance, and money, to order 3 games
>not sure what pick
>do the retarded thing and pick based on how cool it seems for me from either name or cover
>I make my picks
>I receive my games
>Light Crusader
>Dynamite Headdy
>Gunstar Heroes
>Truly enjoy the games, remember them to this day and know they were actually amazing games I learned later, quite adored by people
>I sure picked well
>Today
>remember
>remember it was a random purchase
>remember harder
>realize
>Treasure
>what the fuck!
>>
>>3009752
It was going for $150 a few weeks ago. And yes, morons actually bid/bought it for that price. Cannon Spike is even worse.
>>
I guess I'll ask this here instead of making a pointless thread about it:

What are the physical dimensions of model 1 Mega Drive that has both both the CD and 32X add-ons attached to it?
>>
>>3013041
>CD
Like in the pic (CD2) in your request (CD)?
>>
>>3014314
Whicever is bigger.
>>
>>3014449
Not a good enough reason to waste 5 mins of my life.
>>
>>2998349
???
>>
>>2998335

You'd be a total Fuku-san not to get a dreamcast.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.