[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Underrated SNES games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 16

File: image.jpg (158KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 800x450px
No one talks about this game
>>
>>2988848
Orsted > Monk > Ninja > Robot > Prehistoric > Akira > Cowboy > Wrestler
>>
File: 1414802069648.png (85KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
1414802069648.png
85KB, 492x280px
>>2988848
>Underrated
>>
>Underrated SNES games
>pic not related

Live-A-Live, along with a number of other fan-translated "gems," are just hipster trash. There's probably a good reason why Square never bothered to localize it. It's a highly niche title directed at Japanese audiences, and I doubt even they cared much for it. The mechanics are experimental but in no way innovative or fun, the story is short, the dialogs are brief, the characters are all flat, unemotional and largely insignificant to any bigger picture, and the game has no replay value.

It's been discussed on /vr/ before, but mostly by one autistic individual who felt the need to shoehorn references to the game in numerous other threads that had nothing to do with it. Let's not go down that road again...
>>
>>2988856
>3 best chapters at the bottom
>>
>>2988868
Cowboy was just one big fetch quest and then a boss fight.

Wrestler was nothing but boss fights. Boring shite.

Akira was alright, but nothing special, aside from Buriki Daioh.
>>
>>2988856
>>2988882
Cowboy was fun and is one of my favorites. i pretty much fucked up on m first try and had to kill nearly every bad guy in combat. Plus you can actually run away from your duel with Mad Dog at the end.

I agree Akira was ok.

Wrestler is the worst chapter.

Cube was cool as hell (but predictable)

Kung Fu, Ninja and Prehistoric were great too.

Knight chapter's plot twist caught me bloody fucking off guard and is therefore my most favorite.

The ending Chapters were Awesome.
>>
>>2988863
You know your criticism is a pile of shit when you can swap "live-a-live" for any other obscure game, square for the correspoinding company, and it would still make perfect sense.
>>
>>2988848
OP here,
Yes, this game had a shit-ton of flaws, but I fondly remember it.

Aforementioned flaws:
-Cowboy chapter is too short
-The characters lack personality
-Graphics seem somewhat dated for SNES on the overworld
-Wresting chapter is broken due to abise-geri being the only move able to take down the hardest bosses
-In Oersted's chapter, in the armory, your natural reaction is to take everything. Little do you know that LITERALLY EVERYTHING IS IMPROVED IN THE FINAL CHAPTER AS BETTER WEAPONS
-Cube's dungeon is boring, along with his chapter, and the plot twist was predictable
-Monk dungeon is repetitive and loot is shit
-Some of the puzzles / events are cryptic as fuck
-Akira's entire fucking chapter being shit, and he's too edgy to be taken seriously
-The fucking stairs. Why doesn't he get an elevator installed?

However, the entire game isn't shit.
-Ninja chapter is really well done and I could do it without a guide
-The ninja chapter has replayability and tons of secrets including an additional party member and your dungeon weapon before you even do the ninth chapter
-Prehistoric chapter was cool
-Monk chapter was great and well-rounded
-Oersted's chapter actually had a good story and was well-done
-The last chapter is a lot of fun to play and saves the game from being mediocre
-Music is really good

Any other underrated Super Nintendo games?
>>
>>2988848
It is not the best game ever, but I really like it for being extremely experimental.
Also Megalomania became one of my favorites boss theme ever.
>>
>>2989059
>Ninja chapter is really well done and I could do it without a guide
I sure didn't, since I was going for the kill everyone run.
There was too much cryptic shit in it, and in the end I ended up stuck at the samurai ghost guy before starting over with a guide.
And from the guide I realized that it is better for you to just grind the shit out of the ghosts, kill only some of the people in the castle so that you get better items, which is something you don't get if you kill everyone or let everyone live.
>>
>>2988882

I agree with Wrestler being boring, you have to realize that for an RPG to have a long segment that basically plays out the same way as a fighting game is pretty unique.

Cowboy may have just been a fetch quest and a boss fight, but it was really cool and the atmosphere was awesome, helping a tiny town band together to fight a bunch of bandits. Sunset is also a super badass character and the final duel with Mad Dog is neat.

Akira was fun, especially with how out of hand it got (it basically just copies the movie Akira and adds a giant robot at the end but I fucking love mecha so).

I'm a giant fag for this game, though, so maybe I'm hyping these up to be better than they actually are. It's an experimental game, and as somebody who's played pretty much every JRPG the SNES has to offer it was a great breath of fresh air.

In the case of "other underrated SNES games," I recommend checking out Treasure of the Rudras/Rudra no Hihou. It's got some really nice graphics for an SNES game, features a scenario system with 4 different playable characters and a neat magic system that involves naming your own spells to get different effects.
>>
>>2988848
Treasure Hunter G
Driving Lagoon
Bahamut Lagoon
Lagoon
>>
>>2989978
*Racing Lagoon
>>
Famicom Detective Club Part II
>>
>>2989978
>Treasure Hunter G
Except for the mindblowing graphics nobody talks about it because it's a pretty mediocre game, even Rudra no Hihou with its Kotodama mechanic and neat scenario system doesn't get threads because it's still very cookie cutter when it comes to difficulty or writing, best Sasai OST though.
>>
File: actraiser 2.jpg (57KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
actraiser 2.jpg
57KB, 640x466px
Do you guys even understand what underrated means? For the record, it those not mean unknown, rather, rated lower by those that do know it. You guys only mention highly regarded Japense exclusives, that's not how it works.
>>
>>2990002
Did Itoi make that?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
Have seen this game time and time here but never seen a thread just for it
>>
>>2990083

Sakamoto actually.
>>
File: 506894ada77e3.jpg (88KB, 620x354px) Image search: [Google]
506894ada77e3.jpg
88KB, 620x354px
>>2990002
This looks cool but is Part I translated? I'd feel foolish diving into this without context.

Also this is the most underrated Punch Out. Everyone gives a shit about the original Punch Out (they shouldn't) and the one for Wii is super dumbed down.
>>
>>2991015
>This looks cool but is Part I translated?

No, but part 2 is actually a prequel. It might spoil a little bit of part 1 though.
>>
>>2991021
Oh. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter considering Part I isn't translated and I won't find out what happens in it anyway. Thanks though.
>>
>>2991015
> they shouldn't
Why so?
>>
Does Sunset Riders count?
>>
>>2988848
Huh, I always thought it was 'live a live' but it's actually 'live alive'

Thanks katakana
>>
>>2991039
Punch Out is incredibly overrated. Sure silly Japanese racism is funny and it plays okay, but Super Punch Out is the sequel the series deserved. It's fluid, the sound is pretty sweet, it's just better, yet everyone loves Punch Out for some reason. Maybe I'm super biased.
>>
>>2988848
Super Castlevania. With the massive influx of Castlevania hipsters, it's rare to find someone who actually likes that game nowadays.
>>
Imo these are pretty underrated:

Sonic Blast Man 2
Iron Commando
Wagyan Paradise
Dark Half
Alcahest
Pyscho Dream
Judge Dredd
Kid Klown in Crazy Chase
Nosferatu
Phalanx
Super Aleste
Super Chase H.Q.
Uncharted Waters New Horizons
Inindo Way of the Ninja
>>
>>2991068
How good is it?
>>
File: sadfrogdead.jpg (21KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrogdead.jpg
21KB, 600x630px
>>2992371
>you will never live for live
>>
>>2988848
It kind of annoys me that with all the pulling from the past Square is doing nowadays, LaL only got like 1 cameo in some browser game and maybe some arranged music tracks once in a while.

As for the actual game - despite all the talk about how some scenarios are less fleshed out than others and that being bad, I actually prefer the shorter ones. I think it's because the combat system isn't really that complex so once you figured a character out, it stops feeling fresh until you get new characters to play with.

Prehistoric - I feel this one stretched a bit too long and the smell gimmick is lame.

Ninja - everyone talks about how kill 100/pacifist is super cool, but actually doing it is like pulling teeth. Luckily it's pretty pointless for powergaming purposes anyway and the scenario is much more fun if you do it normally.

Mecha - I think the only thing that saves this is that Mechas are cool, because it's filled with much more cryptic "what the hell do I do now to activate the triggers the next step?" requirements compared to the rest

Cowboy - Short and sweet, boss makes an impression.

Robot - I think this is my favourite because no combat. The ending sequence also makes quite the impression.

Kung Fu - Only issue I can think is that if you didn't know the plot and spread your training out amongst all your pupils, that's stat bonuses down the drain. Don't have a problem with it otherwise.

Wrestler - A lot less stressful when you realize that only a few moves are useful.

Medieval - Best story, gameplay even more painful than usual seeing as how we now add super frequent random battles to the mix.

(There's a Touhou LAL fangame that actually made this part like 3 times longer and I don't know what the heck the creator was smoking to decide that was a part needing expansion)

Final - most fun chapter gameplay wise, although I wish they didn't require you to replay Medieval chapter if you want to re-do your characters.
>>
File: 1435201885424.gif (426KB, 499x265px) Image search: [Google]
1435201885424.gif
426KB, 499x265px
>Play it in chronological order
>Get to Akira
>Lose all interest in finishing the game
>>
>>2994419
This
>>
I decided to play through the Lennus games on a whim and they're pretty underrated. While neither one is amazing, 2 is a very solid game, and they both have a very bizarre science-fantasy setting that reminds me a little of Phantasy Star, but less technological and more alien.

There's also Rudra no Hihou, which I still believe is one of the best RPGs on SNES.
>>
>>2994419
>(There's a Touhou LAL fangame that actually made this part like 3 times longer and I don't know what the heck the creator was smoking to decide that was a part needing expansion)
it didn't help that was easily the worst chapter in that fangame too
>>
Phantasy Star 4. For 1994, its battle system had combination spells (like Chrono games), dual-wielding, a five-man party, and customizable macros. Quite possibly the greatest JRPG of all time.
>>
>>2994116
What?
>>
>>2995440
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1K87G3E1As
>>
>>2988848
>No one talks about this game

It was not part of any western kid's gaming experience.
>>
>>2988848
>Nobody talks about Square or Enix.
Are you born yesterday, /new/ hipster?
>>
>>2991003
>What is SaGa thread.
>>
>>2992371
Dredd is good for what it is, you'd expect a "based on a movie that is based on a comic book" game to be trash but it's actually very playable, not one of the best games on the system but I had fun. And you get to fight the dark judges too which is a bonus.
Kid Klown I remember renting because I was amazed at what in my mind looked like a 3D platformer with cartoon graphics on the SNES (I was very young and a poorfag, so it was one of the first few SNES games I saw after only owning an NES). Actually sitting down to play it was disappointing though, but I don't remember much of it, maybe it's time to replay.
Nosferatu is awesome, it's basically Prince of Persia where instead of a sword, you use fighting combos against monsters.
Inindo I got the rom from a friend once a few years ago and thought it had a lot of good ideas and was very ambitious for the time, but a huge backlog made me put it aside, maybe it's time to replay it too.

I will add The Mask, which is a nice platformer with great animations that is often overlooked.
>>
>>2995724
The Mask also has a glitch that lets you skip past the worst level. Some guy showed it off to one of the devs during a GDQ event, much to his surprise.
>>
>>2988848
>No one talks about this gam
You must be new here. When hipsters first discovered this game there were threads at least one a week.
>>
>>2988863
is this old pasta?
>>
File: Beavis_and_Butt-Head_(SNES).jpg (81KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis_and_Butt-Head_(SNES).jpg
81KB, 640x467px
>>2988848
The Genesis version was better, tho.
>>
>>2990015
>cut the simple but fun and potentially deep god-sim part
>keep the shittiest platforming ever
(gliding mechanics getting better in the second half though )
>>
>>2988848
>No one talks about this game

When I played this game with /jrpg/ everyone lost their shit and the discussion never ended.
>>
>>2997598
Got an archive link? I wanna read this
>>
>>2996070
I'm new to /vr/, I wasn't aware it was a hipster game til recently
>>
I'm planning on playing through the SNES JRPGs.
Are there any that don't make it onto top 10 lists that I should check out?
>>
I chose the fat guy as the guy who inherited kung fu because he amused me, even though I guess the game wants you to choose the guy who's really persistent, despite lacking talent.

4chan chooses the girl bandits because apparently tits and ass trumps all despite it making no sense to choose her.
>>
>>2997598
I kind of remember that, it was around 3 years ago or something was it? I miss /jrpgg/.
>>
>>2999969
Yeah, lots of them. Half of SNES catalogue it's basically RPG's.
>>
Every single game in here has been masturbated and circle jerked on /vr/
>>
>>3000196
Pretty sure I've yet to see a thread about Wizap or Hero Senki.
>>
>>3000187
I'll have to come to terms with never playing some of them.
>>
Roku de nashi blues.
Quite interesting game about high school jerks
>>
>>2999976
Chinese girl had no sex appeal and all, I chose her mostly because the line-up is kind of a sausagefest otherwise.

Besides, Beri from the Prehistoric chapter had the better T&A
>>
>>3000275
>it's got nothing to do with sex
>I chose her because of her sex

This is what happens when you think with your dick and lie about it.
>>
>>2993987
It's good but the stages have a bad tendency to drag on forever.
It's pretty middle ground on the Classicvania scale but that still means its a damn good game.
>>
>>2988848
Nep?
>>
>>3000196

You fags have got such a bad understanding of what "underrated" and "obscure" mean. Just because you go on a board where all anybody talks about is underrated and obscure shit doesn't mean it's not underrated and obscure. Find me ONE top tens list on the internet that has any game mentioned ITT on it. You fucking can't, because the games are, of course, underrated and obscure.
>>
>>3000447
So obscure they're discussed here daily...
>>
>>2989109
>Treasure of the Rudras/Rudra no Hihou.
came here to post this

>It's got some really nice graphics for an SNES game
It was the last RPG published by square on the console I think
>>
>>2997541
First time I played that part, I died a lot of times, because I hadn't really got the jump mechanics. Second playthrough a few months later, easy sweasy. Nailed it on my first try.
The mechanics are certainly something different, but utterly functional. Sadly, retro gamers are used to easy and simple games like Mario and Megaman.

And the point still stands, everybody is running around, screaming and acting like this is a 0/10 games, while it's at least a 6 or even a 7/10. I will never claim it's perfect, but I do love it.
>>
>>3000462

>Since me and roughly 100 other people know what it is, it's not obscure!

Everybody on /vr/ knows what it is, that doesn't mean it's not fucking obscure you retard.

>>3000573

Gamers have always been about "IT'S EITHER PERFECT OR IT'S UNPLAYABLE SHIT" with nothing in between.
>>
>>3000590
>perfect or unplayable

Most of the games I play are usually honest 7 / 10's.

Definitely playable and enjoyable, but far from perfect.

I feel like I'd be a terrible game reviewer in that regard. I enjoy most of the games I play, but everything is always kind of "its pretty good". I think people want to see the whole "its amazing" or "its shit" because its way easier to be passionate and talk about something thats really good, or really bad, and mediocrity is definitely less entertaining.
>>
>>3000596
Yep, these days I'm leaning towards thinking even terrible games are not so bad with the correct mindset.
>>
>>3000596
You sound like you'd be a good reviewer. Sincere, with enough experience to not be surprised by cheap gimmicks or overly emotional, hollywood-esque plots.
>>
>>3000596

People also tend to go into games with a "let's see what all the buzz is about" mindset, I think. Like, when they hear a game is bad, they don't get curious and give it a fair shot, they go "heh, time to see just how shitty it is" and get wrapped up in that. Plenty of perfectly decent titles get shat on for being horrible when really they're decent.
>>
>>3000610
But sensible opinions don't give many clicks.
>>
File: 2683591-wondrous_magic_sfc.jpg (72KB, 299x528px) Image search: [Google]
2683591-wondrous_magic_sfc.jpg
72KB, 299x528px
>>3000447
There's degrees of obscurity. Live a Live isn't obscure here but it is for a general public who only knows like 10 SNES Rpg's at most.
Then there's the actually obscure stuff that's barely talked anywhere or doesn't even have a translation.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 300x220px
Obscure but probably not underrated
>>
>>3000573
Super Mario Bros is much harder than Actraiser 2.
>>
File: 39768_front.jpg (56KB, 640x345px) Image search: [Google]
39768_front.jpg
56KB, 640x345px
>>
>>2994637
I just started it today and made the mistake of starting with Akira.
If I didn't know the chapters were all fairly short it would have turned me completely off of the game.
>>
File: SHVC-ADUJ-JPN.jpg (56KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
SHVC-ADUJ-JPN.jpg
56KB, 600x325px
>>2988848
pic related

Gets a passing mention on /vr/ every now and then, but I've never seen it get discussed.
>>
>>3001669

it is impossible to OVERRATE that one
>>
>>3005085
You can start a thread right now if you want, but Dark Law has so little content you'll end up talking about the few neat mechanics it has and nothing more.
Really good game though, if only it came out on the PS maybe they could have put more quests and stuff to do, ASCII made some really neat but almost unknown RPGs, makes me a bit sad.
>>
>>2989982
that's a ps1 game
>>
>>2991015
super punch out is really sweet. its just way easier than mike tysons punchout.
>>
File: snes - plok1.webm (3MB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
snes - plok1.webm
3MB, 256x223px
Plok among platformers, Equinox among adventure games, Phalanx among shoot-em-ups, Super Battleship among strategy games.

I don't think there's any underrated SNES RPGs. We've mined that well for all it's worth.
>>
>>2992371
>Nosferatu
Also, S.O.S and Backthorne.
>>
I just played through Famicom Detective Club Part II and it was really cool.
Shame that there's no translation of the first game and it's impossible to play the Satelleview one.
>>
>>2988848
>>3007957
Live-a-Live and Plok! are two games that I had never heard of, then suddenly started hearing about CONSTANTLY. And I didn't really browse any retro forums then as much as I do now.

So I don't neither are underrated, at least, anymore.
>>
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.