[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

looking to buy a sega saturn wat model should i buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: SegaSaturn.jpg (29KB, 432x360px) Image search: [Google]
SegaSaturn.jpg
29KB, 432x360px
looking to buy a sega saturn wat model should i buy
>>
A working one. Doesn't matter for NTSC U
Only matters for mods and ease of repair.

Some people say there's some revision with poor rgb output. I haven't seen any evidence though for NTSC U.
>>
>>2963403
Japanese model is the cheapest, get that and a boot disk, make sure you get the ram expansion for fighting games too.
>>
>>2963409
any games i should buy
>>
>>2963419
Fighters Megamix, Panzer Dragoon saga, Street fighter alpha 2, Virtua on, Nights, Daytona USA and a fair few more, the japanese library was pretty good.
>>
File: PSX.jpg (11KB, 425x230px) Image search: [Google]
PSX.jpg
11KB, 425x230px
>>2963403
>Saturn
>games
LOL
>>
>>2963448
Take your shitposting to /v/
>>
>>2963409
>Some people say there's some revision with poor rgb output.

There is no such thing, but some model 2s shake the screen a bit when the CD is loading. It's like there is a horizontal trace going up and down and shifting one or two lines of pixels to the right.

>>2963419
>any games i should buy

None. Get a modchip and a stack of CDRs.
>>
Models 2 are said to be more reliable though I'm pretty sure it's an urban myth.

>>2963680
>None. Get a modchip and a stack of CDRs.
Seconded. Enjoy the games. Collect on the side if you will but don't hesitate to test stuff out by burning discs, the Saturn has quite a fascinating library.
Spend money on accessories instead, like 10 controllers for a huge Bomberman party at your place.
>>
>>2963680
>None. Get a modchip and a stack of CDRs.

Seconded. The hassle of buying/collecting saturn games just ain't worth it. Especially when so many of them have broken jewel cases or are missing manuals (and therefore the front cover) etc. So much easier to just get a 40 buck modchip and some CDRs and go to town downloading random shit from that vast japanese library and trying things out.
>>
>>2963789
does the saturn have long load times
>>
>>2964653
bump
>>
>>2964653
No not really. I'll also say the mod chip mod is takes no soldering skill whatsoever
>>
model 2 so you can do swap mod

start burning games and enjoy them (you'll need to buy at least 1 legit copy so you can do swap trick)

then later on buy a 4-in-1 action replay and do the pseudosaturn mod so you don't have to disc swap anymore
>>
>>2964653
I havent noticed any problems. Pretty standard loading times. And of course it all depends on the game. The SNK fighting game ports like KoF have annoying load times between every round, for instance. Thats the only time I ever even noticed annoying load timss
>>
>>2965421
Swap trick works on both. In fact its easier on model 1 because the disc read light can be used to get the timing down
>>
>>2964653
>does the saturn have long load times

Less annoying than the Playstation 1, but it still has some.
>>
>>2965737
bump
>>
>>2965532
it's not easier to mod it, it's relatively easier to swap it once done then.

all you have to do is listen/watch the cd spin down. it takes like maybe 10 mins of practice before you get it down.
>>
>>2966990
bump
>>
>>2963680
A mod chip is always nice but you can get a big stack of games for the same price. I pick things up for ¥50-100 all the time. So like 50+ games for the same price. Also pseudo is an option if you can find a cheap card.
>>
>>2963403

Notorious for being hard to program games on.

Most games are shit.
>>
>>2969020
Oh hey thanks for bumping the Saturn thread! I was afraid it would slowly fade out of the board. That would have been a real pity considering how awesome the console is.
>>
None because it's a shit-tier meme console with no games. Buy a PS1.
>>
>>2969020
>>2969041
confirmed underage sonyfags
>>
>>2969041
You already posted >>2969020 kid. You also know we all already hate you for being this stupid, and for having nothing else to do with your meaningless life. Have fun.
>>
I think the most affordable option is actually to just get a Japanese Saturn and the 5 in 1 pro action replay cart
>>
File: 41Wj71EFzPL._SY400_.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41Wj71EFzPL._SY400_.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>2970186
I've been thinking about doing this for years. $60 for a Japanese console sound decent? Seen a few at the flea market recently from a seller I know well, might be able to knock him down as low as $45.

Is this the cart I'm looking for? No mod chip required, just disc swapping?
>>
>>2963448
>PS1
>Shovelware
Pick both
>>
>>2963403
model 2 is best if you get it chipped you need to burn games within your region or region free burn
>>
Anybody know where to actually get a mod chip? I looked at several places and they were always out of stock, though I haven't looked in months.
>>
>>2970198
that sounds good to me, anon

and yes that's what you're looking for. you don't need it for disc swapping -- it's best to burn ISOs patched for the console's region imo -- but the action replay will get around that anyway. no modchip needed. disc swapping all the way until you feel like someday getting a modchip if ever, i never did.
>>
http://www.randomracket.com/downloads/sega-saturn-region-patcher.htm

here's the region patcher. if you buy the J console just make sure that the ISO gets tagged as J then burn it. if it's US console, obviously U then. etc.
>>
>>2970216
>model 2 is best if you get it chipped

Only if you order chips from china or something. The modern modchips work on all consoles equally.

>>2968870
>A mod chip is always nice but you can get a big stack of games for the same price.

Yeah, but only the most common titles like Daytona or VF Remix.

If you want a big stack of shmups or 2d fighters, then the modchip is way cheaper.

>>2970292
That's a broken old version that can't patch all image types.

Use this:
http://madroms.satakore.com/

It can patch bin/cue, ccd, cdi, etc.
>>
>>2970315
>That's a broken old version that can't patch all image types.
ah okay, i wasn't sure where to direct him. it's been several years since i fucked around with physical saturn shit.

make sure you get an *actual* game too for the disc swapping. you need at least 1 real saturn game, anon.
>>
>>2970325
>http://www.randomracket.com/downloads/sega-saturn-region-patcher.htm
http://madroms.satakore.com/ i think 3 is the latest>>2970315
i forgot the comma
>>
>>2970337
god damn tablet screwed up the post sorry.

it is worth modding i got mine from segastyle.com but the no longer sell them or anything from the looks of it
>>
>>2970341
it's really not worth it at all. swapping is so fucking simple and the HURR DURR U KILL UR MOTOR is fucking retarded. i swapped hundreds of fucking times and never had a problem.
>>
>>2970286
One more dumb question here. Does that action replay cart work on both J and U systems? As in, I could buy a console from either region, buy the cart and play authentic games from both regions without issue? Just want to be perfectly clear before I start impulse buying Japanese Saturn games like an idiot.
>>
>>2970352
>swapping
I would not recommend doing this trick just to save a few $. You risk breaking your Saturn's motor by doing this dangerous technique. even if you have done it a 100 times, on the 101 time it might go horrible wrong.
>>
>>2970368
yes, AR4in1 works in any region

if you buy a JAP Saturn then you obviously don't need it for JAP games though. but if you're using a US Saturn for JAP games then yes, you'll want the AR4in1. you're going to want it regardless for games that require more RAM like Street Fighter Zero 3.
>>
>>2970378
>You risk breaking your Saturn's motor by doing this dangerous technique.

THIS IS AN URBAN LEGEND.

The reason the drive doesn't spin up after extended swapping is because the laser can't see the disc anymore. This is caused by
- slamming the disc on the tray, which pushes the tray lower, which makes the laser lose focus over time
- handling discs by holding the surface of it between your index and thumb, which makes them dirty, which makes it harder for the laser to see the disc
- using CDRs in general, that have weaker reflective properties than normal CDs, again making it harder on the laser to see the disc.

This will heavily increase the wear on the laser because whenever it doesn't see something, it will re-read stuff until it gets it right (or times out).

And when the laser dies, the drive will not spin up, because it thinks the drive is empty.

But the motor itself is still fine.
>>
>>2970595
shh you're making the retards upset
>>
>>2970315
Even most things considered "rare" that go for 100+ on ebay go for maybe ¥300 outside the tourist traps.
>>
good luck finding a mod chip, most places are out of stock with no plans to restock. the only guy that still has them is some dude in britain
>>
>>2973513
another reason to just fucking swap mod like a sensible fucking person
>>
>>2971669
>Even most things considered "rare" that go for 100+ on ebay go for maybe ¥300 outside the tourist traps.

Show me a Japanese game that goes for $100 on ebay but is only 300 yen in japan.
>>
>>2973814
Sure. Come to the flea markets here for a few weeks and I'll show you at least one.
Or continue to price check in tourist traps.
You're choice faggot.
>>
>>2973513
i have a modchip i'm willing to sell. the cartridge firmware flash is infinitely better.
>>
>>2973517
>swap mod
i keked
>sensible
i keked harder
>person
even harder
>>
buy the one with the most graphics
>>
so uh.
what lightgun do i buy?
I finally have my crt and shit, what lightgun is recommended.
>>
>>2963403
A PSX :^)
Doesn't really matter what model you go for, any will do, but it does matter what region you pick. I would personally go with NTSC JP because most of the good games are japan-only and English versions (if they even got a release) on the US machine are getting to be ridiculous in price.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.