[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who thinks that the N64 is overhyped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 33

I like Nintendo as much as the next guy,
heck I even think that the SNES was one of best of it's time.

But the N64 was kinda shitty in comparison

>Loss of RPG support
>had many "samey" platformers
>still used cartridges
>controller was a clusterfuck
>1st party games are the only things worth playing
> all of the 3D models looked horrible (technology was limited, but many titles on the PS1 utilized hybridization of 2D/3D for better results, ie, Chrono Cross)
>limited library

What are your sentiments on this?
People are only nostalgic because it was their first console,
I was playing NES when I was 3 years fucking old, and I don't nostalgia over that.
>>
4/10

Guaranteed replies though with /v/.
>>
Test
>>
>>2958438
Yes now fuck off
>>
>>2958440
I am not trolling, every fucker in my home town still plays this piece of shit console and I am sick of it . It wasn't even that good
>>
>>2958438
Did you just get off a time machine from 1996?
>>
>>2958438
Most N64 games pioneered elements of game design that weren't seen before
In contrast PSX and Saturn games just refined formulas already present in the 4th gen.
So yeah the console seems shitty if you were exposed to 6th gen games before it but it was revolutionary at the time
>>
It is both overhyped and underrated, and in both cases for the wrong reasons.

Contrary to you, I'm more of a Sega/arcade guy myself (although not a console warrior, I also liked Nintendo as a kid), and I actually love the N64, I think it's a pretty unique system despite lacking big 3rd party support - it still has more than most people think.

>Loss of RPG support
True, big names Square and Enix dropped them in exchange of the PlayStation, this is no secret.
However, N64 did have its RPG gems, even if they can't compare in quantity to the stuff PS1 had (and Saturn in Japan). Still on N64 you can find Ogre Battle 64 which is an above average SRPG from the 5th gen, and in Japan it has some titles that actually were quite popular over there, specifically Shiren the Wanderer 2 by chunsoft, N64 even got a Super Robot Wars entry in Japan, but like the Saturn, the N64 didn't got RPG support in the west. Still, while N64 had little RPG support, it did have its good ones.

This is something that's common in every gen. You could say PS1 has a lot of "samey" RPGs, or that NES has a lot of "samey" platformers. N64 started with Mario 64 which was a success and so other companies tried to follow the formula because it worked. I like Mario 64, but I personally am not a big fan of games like Banjo-Kazooie, but it has its fans and I can respect it. In reality, I think N64 had more racing games than platformers, I think there aren't really all that many 3D platformers as most people think, Nintendo only did Mario 64, their other platformers are 2D (Yoshi's Story, Kirby), Rare did the 2 Banjo games and DK64, but then they also did 2 FPSs, a destruction simulator (Blast Corps) a TPS (jet force gemini), etc.
There are games like Rayman 2 but that one was multiplat.
(cont)
>>
The N64 has to be rated at all to be overrated.

The console basically competes with the GameCube to be the *third* best Nintendo console, how the fuck is that "overhype"?
>>
>>2958449
Then why don't you ignore that aspect and ask them to play something you do like?

>>2958438
>heck I even think that the SNES was one of best of it's time.
I think it's okay, but I have mostly similar feelings towards it as you do towards the N64.
>>
>>2958471
When people point out the weakness in RPGs and strength in platform games, nobody ever seems to mention that N64 was definitely the FPS console

>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
>Doom 64 (which was actually an exclusive Doom sequel, not a port of any existing game)
>top tier ports of Hexen, Quake, Quake 2, Duke Nukem and Rainbow Six
>the Turok series

I mean fuck, this is hardly a selling point but it even got Daikatana
>>
>>2958471
It's just that you can only collect jigges/stars so many times before that shit gets really old really fast.
>>2958484
Those FPS looked like FUCKING dog Duke
and you know it.
Besides, I was 8-13 during it's cycle,
so I couldn't play them anyway and with shooters you can't go back, they age horribly.
>>
>>2958471

>still used cartridges

This is something I never hated, and much less nowadays. Carts are great (unless you're a developer). They don't have loading times, they're very durable, I kind of like that the N64 was the last major console to use carts. It may have been a mistake on Nintendo's part (although they were planning for the failed 64DD), but personally, I'm glad they went with carts, it doesn't bother me.

I always found it very comfortable, although I can understand how it can look weird at first. When I first played games like Sin and Punishment or Bangai-O, I understood the controller design was pretty awesome, just not many developers took the many advantages it had. To this day I still think the 64's 3D stick is one of the most sensitive and precise sticks I've used. It's easy to notice if you try to play a game that requires precision like Star Fox or Sin and Punishment with a Gamecube or a Xbox controller, the newer sticks are more sturdy, but they aren't as precise. The bad thing is that it's a known fact that the N64 sticks become loose with time, although in my experience, never become unusable, they still work fine. So, pros for being unique, and cons for having weak materials that make the sticks become loose.

(cont)
>>
>>2958438
Oh look, it's this thread again.

/vr/'s transformation into /v/ is nearly complete.
>>
>>2958497
Yeah I'm not even a big FPS fan, I just mentioned them. I know a lot of people still love Perfect Dark though, and I know Doom 64 has a kind of cult following, but I myself am not a fan of the genre.

>>2958506

This is not true although it's a common misconception, even N64 fans will think this way, and this is why the console is both overrated and underrated, and for the wrong reasons.

Most nintendo fanboys will defend the N64 saying that it doesn't have a lot of games, but that games like Mario 64 and OOT are masterpieces and that the console is worth just for those. That is overrating the console for the wrong reasons.
Then there's the anti-nintendo folk, that will say N64 only has Mario and Zelda, and since they don't like Nintendo games, the N64 is useless. That's underrating it.
If you delve into the N64 catalogue, you can stumble across many gems. Some of my favorite games from the entire 5th gen are on N64 and they aren't 1st party, for example Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja.
There's also some weird games that, while not masterpieces, are really unique and I really enjoyed a lot, for example Hybrid Heaven (that one could also be considered an RPG, kinda, although it's unlike anything else I've played).
There are a lot of racing games and games from Midway, wrestling games from AKI (that got released in the west as the WWF/NWO games, not my thing but I gotta admit they're tons of fun on multiplayer).
There's definitely a lot of games outside of 1st party, even more if you delve into the JP library.

(cont)
>>
>>2958506
You might not hate carts, but the market surely did.
>>
>>2958535

> all of the 3D models looked horrible (technology was limited, but many titles on the PS1 utilized hybridization of 2D/3D for better results, ie, Chrono Cross)

This is a subjective matter, although PS1 and Saturn both had lower polycount than the N64 had. Still N64 obviously will look archaic for someone who got used to modern standards. Still, I think a lot of N64 games still look graceful to me, solely because of the art direction, rather than the polycount (which was amazing back in the day, but not so much today). One of the games on your pic, Pokemon Stadium, have pretty impressive 3D models for its time, they still kinda look good actually. Not a big fan of Pokemon myself, but I gotta give them credit for that. There is also Evangelion 64 which may be the best-looking game on the entire 5th gen, at least as far as 3D models go, Ban Dai went all out with that game, the models there look even better than on the PS2 Evangelion games, it's crazy.
As for 3D/2D hybrids, Paper Mario obviously comes to mind.
There are also some 100% 2D games on N64 that look great, Wonder Project J2 is beautiful, and Bangai-O is pure 2D madness.

>limited library

Kind of redudnant, you already made this point when you claim that only 1st party games are worth.

Anyway OP, my first console was a Coleco Vision, so be sure I don't nostalgia over the N64 either. I just enjoy it for what good games it offers.
Yeah some people overrate it, but at the same time a lot of other people underrate it. There is more than Mario and Zelda on this system.
>>
>>2958552
>although PS1 and Saturn both had lower polycount than the N64 had.
Wrong, they both outdid the 64 in poly count due to having less effects, habeeb it or not. Thing is the ps1 had to use smaller polys for ground to avoid texture warping which eventually fucked everything up.
>>
What the 64 did well, fps, it was done so well elsewhere. I didn't get the draw to goldeneye because I was already kicking ass in quake/2 at the time and had years of fps done so much better.

I didn't like Zelda/Mario all sharing the same gameplay. It felt forced.
>>
>>2958438
>Am I the only one who thinks that the N64 is overhyped
No. There's a few other kids who think the same
>>
>>2958541
This same market also largely shunned 2D games during this point of time as well, so fuck the market.
>>
>>2958561
>I didn't like Zelda/Mario all sharing the same gameplay.
That's retarded, they only shared the engine.
>>
>>2958561

You can't jump on Zelda.
It's like saying Metal Gear Solid and Crash share the same gameplay, kinda.
>>
>>2958438
>overhyped
>hype

Yeah man, that hype 20 years after the fact sure is too much. People really need to tone it down.
>>
>>2958438
I don't know why you would think you're the only one when we have this exact same thread every week.
>>
File: rayman2-a.jpg (60KB, 929x309px) Image search: [Google]
rayman2-a.jpg
60KB, 929x309px
>>2958559
>Wrong, they both outdid the 64 in poly count
PS1 usually (but not all of the time - see World Driver Championship on N64) but definitely not Saturn. That thing was a bit deficient when it came to 3D polygon transform and fill rate.

Saturn did enjoy a nice 2D fill rate advantage over the N64 and PS1 (in most circumstances) due to the "free" background processing though.

>Thing is the ps1 had to use smaller polys for ground to avoid texture warping which eventually fucked everything up.
Yeah, that was a pretty big issue, since the PS1 had to burn a lot of polygons for walls and floors and usually wouldn't have much left for character models. Pic related.
>>
>>2958561
>I didn't get the draw to goldeneye because I was already kicking ass in quake/2 at the time and had years of fps done so much better.
quake 2 wasn't even out when goldeneye was released

shows how much of an FPS expert you really are
>>
We have this thread all the time by people that cant seem to stand others enjoying the N64.

Its a tad old at this point. Personally, I enjoy the N64. Even if those Bomberman games and Goemon ganes were the only games I would still enjoy the console well enough.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>2958659
Not who you're replying to but I think the point is that the N64 had an excellent Quake 2 port (way better than the infamous PS1 Squigglevision polygons) but it was still limited just because Quake 2 is so ergonomically suited to a keyboard + mouse.

The most bizarre multiplat story of all is that:
There's an N64 version of Starcraft
Starcraft 64 includes one bonus mission that appears in no other version
This bonus mission includes an important plot twist that's canon in Starcraft 2!
>>
>>2958438

We have been through this discussion many times.

The n64 was fine, problem is it hasn't aged well. The lack of memory space on cartridges meant it didn't have the space for any detailed textures or pre rendered scenes and backgrounds, so by todays standards all the games look really shitty. PS1 games mostly look shitty too, but some of them are able to make use of the extra space CDs provide to give an extra level of detail. Classics that have aged well, such as Xenogears or grandia II with their sprite based graphics, would be impossible on the n64 without splitting the game up into 30+ cartridges.

For its time, n64 was good and extremely innovative.
>>
File: 1371084791080.gif (311KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1371084791080.gif
311KB, 400x225px
>>2958810
>>
>>2958438
It's a great system... that lacks games.
>>
>>2958438
I don't care for the N64 but the generation that played it is old enough for maximum nostalgia now so I just grin and bear mention of it.
>>
>>2958805
I fucking love Q2 on the 64
>>
>>2958561

>Zelda/Mario all sharing the same gameplay

what the fuck. how could someone think mario and zelda have the same gameplay?
>>
>>2958957
He might have meant same engine?
>>
>>2958850
It lacked games BECAUSE it wasn't a great system.

>muh cartridge format
>>
>>2958805
>N64 had an excellent Quake 2 port (way better than the infamous PS1 Squigglevision polygons)

IMO it wasn't better than the PS1 version. The animation on the N64 version is really wonky for some reason, and the game just feels really slow (like they were trying to make it horrorish like Doom 64).

The PS1 version has its faults (really bad controls, and the levels are low on detail) but it's really fast paced, with rocking music, and they actually did try really hard to make the lighting look good considering the console's limits. N64 felt like a lazier porting effort.
>>
>>2958810
>Classics that have aged well, such as Xenogears or grandia II with their sprite based graphics, would be impossible on the n64 without splitting the game up into 30+ cartridges.

Sprites or textures don't take up that much space. It's the FMV.

For example, you could fit Vagrant Story onto an N64 cartridge if you pruned the FMV. Hell, Marvel vs Capcom could fit on an N64 cartridge without pruning anything at all.
>>
Yes, it's probably overhyped.

Can we not give a shit about consoles and just appreciate the fact they probably all have at least one game we enjoy. No reason to make it competitive.
>>
>>2959057
>N64
>enjoyable games
LOL
>>
>>2958440
You're more /v/ than that post. /v/ is pure nintendo circlejerking
>>
>>2958438
Pros:
>some good first party games
>best fifth gen graphics
>4 player

Cons:
>Cartridges
>Games were, and still are, expensive
>Worst controller ever
>Not enough games
>not enough genre variety
>last fifth gen console release, but psx lived longer
>>
>>2958438
So tell me what other platformers were there on it aside from mario 64 and banjo kazooie, which are both wildly different to each other by the way?
>>
I don't mind its design or use of cartridges, I just don't think it has many games of worth. I only own 5 N64 carts and there are maybe only 5 more that I'd be interested in purchasing.
>>
File: dyohazuki.jpg (79KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
dyohazuki.jpg
79KB, 853x480px
>>2959147
>>best fifth gen graphics
Nah, that goes to the Dreamcast.
>>
>>2959178
nice xbox version screenshot bro
>>
>>2959198
It's not, it's the Dreamcast version that was hacked to run in 480p widescreen.
>>
>>2959209
uh huh

so why do the buttons in the lower right of the screen match the color of xbox buttons
>>
>>2959209

No, it's the Xbox version.

Look at the colors on the button prompts, Xbox controllers go ABXY green red blue yellow, Dreamcast controllers go ABXY red blue yellow green.

The Dreamcast did have the best 5th gen graphics, and there are plenty of PS1 games that look lightyears ahead of the blurry textures that were a crucial part of the majority of N64 games.

I didn't like the N64 because it had an anemic library and also because Vaseline belongs on my dick, not on my TV screen.
>>
File: shenmue2.jpg (645KB, 3200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue2.jpg
645KB, 3200x1200px
>he doesn't play his Dreamcast games in 1200p
laughingwhores.gif
>>
>>2959220

You should update your codes, the newer widescreen hacks don't remove massive amounts of geometry outside of the 4:3 culling area like the old ones do.
>>
File: 1250782630235.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1250782630235.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
>>2959178
>>2959217
>dreamcast
>5th gen
>>
>>2959231
I don't think hes using any codes, just NullDC's extended geometry function.
>>
>>2959237
>was released only 2 years after N64
>competed with and received multiplats from PSX and N64 more than PS2/Cube/Xbox
>died 6 months after the PS2 came out and before Cube and Xbox were even out

Dreamcast is gen 5, familia.
>>
>>2959257
*2.5 years after N64 actually, and just over 1 year before PS2, so it's clearly closer to 6th gen

And Sega didn't release two consoles in the one generation, that's just stupid talk. Many Dreamcast games were considered worthy to port over to PS2 and Gamecube with only minor adjustments, so I think the amount of multiplatforms between generations would have been relatively similar anyway.

It was just an early 6th generation console.
>>
>>2959270
>And Sega didn't release two consoles in the one generation, that's just stupid talk.
What were 32X and Saturn?

>Many Dreamcast games were considered worthy to port over to PS2 and Gamecube with only minor adjustments
Only because Sega went out of business. If they hadn't they would have stayed Dreamcast exclusives.

>It was just an early 6th generation console.
It was an gen 5 system, or gen 5.5 system if you prefer.
>>
>>2959275
>What were 32X and Saturn?
An add-on and console, respectively.

>Only because Sega went out of business. If they hadn't they would have stayed Dreamcast exclusives.
Plenty of non-Sega games like Headhunter and Fur Fighters made it across too.

>It was an gen 5 system, or gen 5.5 system if you prefer.
Chronologically it is plainly closer to the PS2 than to the N64. If it was evenly in between you could argue it was 5.5. But here it's easy to see that it's 6th gen.
>>
>>2959217
>there are plenty of PS1 games that look lightyears ahead of the blurry textures that were a crucial part of the majority of N64 games.

find me a PS1 game that does more impressive texturing than the footage starting at around 6:28 of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKE-Ia6Pyc
>>
No RGB support → to the garbage bin it goes.
>>
>>2959278
>An add-on and console, respectively.
Not just an add-on, it had its own fifth gen system: the Neptune.

>Plenty of non-Sega games like Headhunter and Fur Fighters made it across too.
I guess N64 is gen 6 too since Animal Forest and Doshin the Giant were later ported to Cube.

>Chronologically it is plainly closer to the PS2 than to the N64. If it was evenly in between you could argue it was 5.5. But here it's easy to see that it's 6th gen.
But it lived longer in the fifth gen than the sixth gen. Sixth gen didn't die until like 2005. That's a 4 whopping years after Dreamcast's death. DC was released right in the middle of gen 5 and died months before gen 6 was starting up.

Gen 5: 1995 with PSX and Saturn (officially), 1996 with N64, Saturn discontinued and DC took its place in 1998, lived for 2 years as Saturn's replacement, PS2 comes out in 2000, DC dies not quite a year later. 2 years as gen 5 > ~1 year as gen 6.

GEN 5 SYSTEM CONFIRMED.
>>
>>2959296
Listen, you can rewrite history as much as you want, but nothing you can do can change the fact that it is absolutely stupid to propose Sega released two consoles in the one generation.
>>
>>2959292

Find me an N64 game other than Conker or Rogue Squadron that wasn't blurry as hell

Hard mode - without requiring an addon expansion pack

Nightmare mode - without a shitty framerate and/or prodigious amounts of fogging
>>
>>2959307
Nightmare Mode challenge accepted

here's World Driver Championship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJRPX02A9yY

not conker or star wars, not excessively blurry, no RAM pack required, good framerate and virtually no fogging

here's gran turismo for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ahwdIRxjyY
>>
>>2959306
I'm not rewriting SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Hell, even Sega wanted to partner with Microsoft and use Xbox as the gen 6 replacement for Dreamcast which would be backwards-compatible with it.

What is so weird about a company releasing more than one system per gen anyway? NEC did it with the PC Engine and SuperGrafx. It's uncommon but not unheard of or unimaginable.
>>
>>2959306

Why?

Where did the "you can only have ONE console per generation" rule come from? The entire "generation" convention is stupid in general, it would only make sense if the hardware released at around the same time, but the 5th gen was so staggered (if you count the 3DO and Jaguar as part of the 5th gen instead of just concentrating on Sega/Sony/Nintendo than you have consoles that launched in 1993 and consoles that launched in 1996/1997 in the same gen). The 4th gen was the same (1987 and 1991), as was the 6th (1998 and 2002).

Locking consoles into strict "generations" and then sperging out when someone corrects your incorrect opinions is like Gran Autismo dude.
>>
>>2959306
Get out, kid.
>>
>>2959315

> World Driver Championship

Maybe it's the fact that you picked a snow track, but those textures are blurry as shit. The framerate looks steady, and while there is some pop-in the draw distance is pretty far out so the game scores some points there, but all in all there isn't anything going on here that wasn't done better in R4 or even in lesser known games like Jarret and Labonte Stock Car Auto Racing on the PS1.
>>
>>2958653
Mmmm yeah, some nice proto-Jade in a skintight su-oh god, what happened her her face?
>>
>>2959339
>but those textures are blurry as shit

Definitely no more so than Gran Turismo dude. Unless you mean textures free of jaggies = blurry.

>but all in all there isn't anything going on here that wasn't done better in R4 or even in lesser known games like Jarret and Labonte Stock Car Auto Racing on the PS1.

How about the fact that you can see 4 times the number of cars on screen as compared to R4, or the fact that it's got a smoother framerate and more detail than J&LSCAR?

Or like, the fact that the lighting (visible in the night time level later in that video) is well above both games?

Combine that with a lack of the typical visual glitches that plague all PS1 games, and you've got a graphical winner.
>>
>>2959321
Most of those special cases you refer to were intended as cross-generational releases. That's why they maintained compatibility with the most recently released system before it.

Saturn and Dreamcast on the other hand maintained zero compatibility. Z E R O

>>2959325
Because it makes more sense to categorize around the most popular and successful systems. Much like we measure the orbital period of other planets in Earth years (even though that's a totally arbitrary measurement on a university scale), because this is the only planet known to support life.
>>
>>2959383
*universal, fucking autocorrect
>>
>>2959368

R4 has eight cars on the track at the same time, so unless math where you live works differently than on planet Earth you are talking out of your ass.

Gran Turismo's textures (especially the roads) are much better. If you had posted Gran Turismo 2 (which actually came out around the same time as World Driver Championship, not two years earlier like GT1 did) you would see cars with significantly better textures on them as well (one of the big changes between GT1 and GT2 was that the texture resolution on cars was doubled, which made seeing sponsor logos much easier).

The night racing looks nice, but nowhere near as good as GT2 tracks like Special/Clubman Stage or Rome Night.

Also, Jarrett and Labonte had significantly higher detail on the cars (including transparent windows and realtime damage) and a similar framerate, and it did all of that with 12 cars on track at a time.

World Driver Championship looks great (for an N64 game), but it gets heartily beaten by other racing games on the PS1.

The challenge remains uncompleted.
>>
>>2959387
>R4 has eight cars on the track at the same time,

The AI is deliberately programmed to stagger the distance from each other to ensure that you can only see one (or rarely two) opponent cars visible at any one time. It is possible to glitch the game to see more cars, but the framerate plummets from its usual stability.

>Gran Turismo's textures (especially the roads) are much better
You did watch the actual console capture of the game I linked, right? It almost exactly the same. Also why are you focusing on the roads? It barely shows much detail either way.

>If you had posted Gran Turismo 2 (which actually came out around the same time as World Driver Championship, not two years earlier like GT1 did)
They were not actually released at the same time, WDC came out over 6 months earlier, but I suppose it's true WDC was released closer to GT2 than GT1.

>you would see cars with significantly better textures on them as well (one of the big changes between GT1 and GT2 was that the texture resolution on cars was doubled, which made seeing sponsor logos much easier).
Hah, I very much doubt the texture resolution on cars was doubled. The two games look so very similar. Perhaps it was just for the sponsor logos. I do remember some parts of GT2 actually looking worse than GT1! I suppose they may have made the logos clearer and the expense of other things.

>The night racing looks nice, but nowhere near as good as GT2 tracks like Special/Clubman Stage or Rome Night.
Uh, right. Even though unlike WDC the lighting is 99% baked/faked (notice how the car isn't affected much by shadows or lights), and the track has much less detail. Oh and the fake reflections on the car which always reflect the same thing no matter where you drive.
>>
>>2959387
>>2959407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG4EGoFZ0ko
(here's a video of Rome Night)

>Also, Jarrett and Labonte had significantly higher detail on the cars
Polygon count looks substantially lower than WDC. You can tell because the vehicles are considerably more 'boxy' than the smoother curves in WDC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqONBf8S0Gk

Compare this to the WDC video at the start where you can see the car from the side.

>similar framerate
Hah, no. WDC is 30fps almost all of the time. Jarret and Labonte drops to 15-20 whenever you can see a lot of vehicles on screen at once.

>World Driver Championship looks great (for an N64 game), but it gets heartily beaten by other racing games on the PS1.
I guess you will still delude yourself into seeing what you want to see no matter what I say, so whatever.
>>
>>2959407
>>2959413

Samefaggin', but whatever.

If you're still clutching at straws because you can't provide one game that fits the criteria in >>2959307 than I guess there is no convincing you.

You tried comparing an N64 game with a PS1 game that was released two years previous, you tried lying about car count, and you made clearly false statements about the PS1 games in question. If you have to go to such lengths as to attempt to use trickery and deceit in your argument than it is clear that you are incorrect.

The challenge stands.
>>
File: 1428089616493.jpg (663KB, 1968x786px) Image search: [Google]
1428089616493.jpg
663KB, 1968x786px
>>2959413

you lost bro

shoulda picked indiana jones and the infernal machine instead although its pretty comparable to tomb raider chronicles and prety much every 3d platformer on the n64 could be countered with crash 3
>>
>>2959426
Filters?
>>
>>2959425
>You tried comparing an N64 game with a PS1 game that was released two years previous
1.5 years, and the sequel doesn't look significantly different.

>you tried lying about car count
Nope, you misunderstood me because you're stupid.

>and you made clearly false statements about the PS1 games in question
Nope, it's your shitty recollection of how the games actually were. I've provided actual video captures of the games being played on their original consoles, and it backs up every word I've said.

>>2959426
>shoulda picked indiana jones and the infernal machine
Eh then he would have said it's blurry because it doesn't look as sharp as the PC version

>its pretty comparable to tomb raider chronicles
TRC looks alright, but I wouldn't go that far. Still has that chunky look of the other TR games with poor draw distance and boxy environments.

>every 3d platformer on the n64 could be countered with crash 3
Yeah, but the 3D platformers on N64 actually fully rendered their environments in real time

>>2959426
>shoulda picked indiana jones and the infernal machine
>>
>>2959429

scanlines on a crt
>>
>>2959432

nah, you lost bro

i admire your spirit but at some point you gotta realise that the fight is over
>>
>>2959432
>actually fully rendered their environments in real time

How's that any different from what Crash 3 did? You're talking about LOD?
>>
>Loss of RPG support
Yes, this was a big problem with the N64. I can only imagine what would have happened if Nintendo had kept Square and Enix; OoT and FF7 on the same console would have been insane (though without the three disks, FF7 probably would have been different, but I digress).

I never got the whole Super Mario 64 clone critique. If anything, there were too many games similiar to Banjo Kazooie.

>still used cartridges
This did have the benefit of eliminating load times, but also drove away developers, limited game size, and made FMV and CD quality music practically impossible. Again, this is definitely a problem with the N64

Arguably. Sure, it looked weird, but functionally the only problem was the analog stick going bad. Looking back the design makes sense; Nintendo didn't know if the analog stick was going to be popular or not. Even still, there's some N64 games that use the D-Pad instead.

Obviously not true. Though to be fair, a majority of the system's gems were 1st and 2nd party titles. Is this necessarily a bad thing though? It doesn't really matter who makes the game as long as it's good.

I don't think that it looked too bad, or that the Playstation looked significantly better. It was early 3D, you can't really expect much more.

>limited library
Like previously mentioned, choosing cartridges over CDs was a huge mistake for Nintendo. This drove away tons of game devs that chose the Playstation instead. The quality is certainly there in the N64 library, but the quantity is lacking.
>>
>>2959441
>How's that any different from what Crash 3 did? You're talking about LOD?

I'm talking about how Crash doesn't do clipping, culling, depth or visibility in real time. This data has already been pre-calculated by Naughty Dog and is streamed from the disk as Crash moves forward in each level.

Because the levels are linear and the camera path is fixed, this trick was possible.

The limitation is, of course, that you can't give the player fluid control of the camera (like you need for a proper 3D platformer) since you can't pre-calculate for every single possible camera angle in that situation
>>
>>2959457
Depth aside (if you're talking about the lack of Z buffer) aren't the features you mentioned always a part of the game's logic other than whatever stock graphic computations you want me to believe the N64 did on its own? The only console that I think ever did automatic occlusion was the DC.
>>
>>2959454 (continued)

Personally I'm a huge N64 fan, so I wouldn't say it's a bad console, but it does have its flaws. It's more overhyped outside of the retro gaming community for nostalgia reasons, but on /vr/ I think it's treated pretty fairly. Masterpieces like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, as well as incredible multiplayer offerings (probably the system's strong point), get discussed endlessly, showing how much of an impact these games made. On the other hand, people are always quick to point out how small the library is and how the competition had its fair share of gems too. I think people get a little too defensive when it comes to these comparisons; all in all, it's always going to come down to personal opinion.
>>
My favorite thing about the N64 was the crazy huge software drought and how you would literally go months at a time where there was nothing good to play.

> It launched with only two games.

> Then a month later it got two more games.

Long story short, it took the N64 almost

> five months

to have as many games released (10) as the PS1 launched with.

Even the Sega Saturn, that had a surprise launch four months early had seven games ready to go.
>>
>>2959464
These are things that all 3D games have to typically do. They have to clip out what won't be in the framebuffer boundaries, they have to cull the backface, they've got sort depth (whether by polygon or pixel) and they've also got to exclude anything else that isn't visible from rendering.

The lack of z-buffer has nothing to do with it, since no PS1 games use it. Anyway, z-buffer is just a means of sorting depth (by pixel) as opposed to sorting depth by polygons (like all PS1 games do).

What I'm talking about is that Naughty Dog took advantage of Crash's linear levels and fixed camera, and already computed the final result of clipping/culling/depth/visibility/whatever for any given place that Crash Bandicoot's camera is showing because it will ALWAYS be the same in that place. That's completely unlike any PS1 game, or N64 game. Other games on those consoles had to calculate those things in real time.
>>
>>2959464

Basically because the camera was on rails in Crash Bandicoot the game only had to compute 3d data in real-time for Crash and the items and enemies in his way, all of the background stuff is pre-computed. The game would know exactly what background geometry would be visible at every possible camera location, so it has all of that data stored on the disc instead of having to figure it out while the game is running.
>>
>>2959471
I see what you're getting at, and it would indeed happen to be a byproduct/compromise of Crash's design. I'd really like to see what a Crash game on the N64 would have looked.
>>
>>2959482
>I'd really like to see what a Crash game on the N64 would have looked.

I reckon it could have looked a lot better than on PS1, because you could microcode the hardware to be really adept at this unusual usage of 3D console hardware. Not to mention, streaming precomputed data from a cartridge would be shitloads faster than streaming it from the CD.
>>
>>2959482

Probably a lot like Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 just with fewer levels, blurrier textures, and shitty music due to the N64's 64MB size limit.

All of that pre-computed data that the game reads for Crash Bandicoot's levels takes up a shitload of space, so that particular method would not have been possible on the N64, and they would have had to use a traditional game engine.

Since Naughty Dog are a bunch of fucking wizards I'd say Crash Bandicoot 64 would have ended up looking better than Conker at least.
>>
>>2959491
>All of that pre-computed data that the game reads for Crash Bandicoot's levels takes up a shitload of space

Not really. It's nothing but lots and lots of vertex numbers. If you remove the junk data that Naughty Dog loaded onto their disk to deter pirates it comes down to like 40MB.
>>
>>2959498

Which means you now have less than 24MB to store all of your

> textures
> models
> animations
> menu graphics
> sound effects
> music
> etc
>>
>>2959503
No, that's 40MB including *everything*.

Talking about Crash 1 though.
>>
>>2959504

I don't believe you, but not enough to call bullshit. Considering Ridge Racer without redbook audio runs 2MB anything is possible.

Can you show some data?
>>
>>2959508
I'm just going off memory here, but I can tell you that for example Crash 3 which is a much bigger game is 106mb without junk data

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZpHFHbqsbWoJ:forums.dashhacks.com/psp-hacks-cracks-mods/152452-official-psx-compression-change-list.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk

Usually if these games had N64 ports they could be made even smaller without compromise, since there was no real incentive for PS1 developers to use their ROM space economically. Actually you could get faster loading from a CD if you copied certain bits of data several times across the disk.
>>
>>2959531

Doubtful you could go from 106MB down to 64MB.

This is assuming of course you could even convince Nintendo to authorize a 64MB cartridge for your game considering how ridiculously expensive they were to manufacture (which is why they were only used in two games).

Then you have to throw it on store shelves for $89.99 and hope it sells.
>>
>>2959541
>Doubtful you could go from 106MB down to 64MB.

Well, there would probably be a fair amount of redundant data even excluding pure junk.

Also, don't underestimate what can be accomplished with compression. The N64 is particularly good at it. You wouldn't be looking at any perceptible quality loss since it wouldn't be large-scale (like 1.2 GB of FMV to 64MB in RE2), but something more akin to just 2:1.
>>
>>2959554

Compression isn't always that great.

The FMV solution for RE2 was just to remove some of it (and re-use certain FMVs in some areas), the trim the hell out of it, then cut the bitrate and framerate on whatever was left down to the bone. This is after they cut background quality and completely annihilated the quality and quantity of the soundtrack.

It's not pleasant to watch. The EX Files are nice, but outside of that the N64 port is objectively the worst version of the game available.
>>
>>2959565
Yeah, but the compression rate was like 18:1 there.

I'm talking more about the difference between ADPCM and MP3 for sound. MP3 virtually sounds the same as ADPCM except it takes up way less space.
>>
>>2959580
>MP3 virtually sounds the same as ADPCM

Fuck no it doesn't, ADPCM is mostly successful guesswork, while MP3 is downright degradation.
>>
>>2959580
Just to reiterate on this, you can actually do MP3 at a higher bitrate than ADPCM in LESS space.

So, higher quality in smaller space. That's the power of compression. The only downside is that you need to process the decompression. But the N64 was uniquely well positioned for this processing since the vertex unit can be microcoded for any task.
>>
>>2959597
>Fuck no it doesn't, ADPCM is mostly successful guesswork, while MP3 is downright degradation.

Nope

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,72694.msg641017.html#msg641017

>As you can clearly see/hear, MP3 gets over three times smaller file-size than IMA ADPCM and still manages to provide way better sound quality
>>
>>2958438
True it wasn't what I'd hoped. The trilinear mipmapping gubbins was only put to good use by some devs. A lot of games looked horribly blurred.

Lovely shining metal effects though - like Mario's metal cap, Blast Corps, etc.

Nice shading too, on untextured polygons (Mario's face on the SM64 title screen). Phong shading was it?

I suppose carts turned out to be a mistake but they had their good points. And it's interesting how things seem to have come full circle in that respect - solid state is back with a vengeance. Look at SSDs, USB pen drives, SD cards, etc. They make discs look like a joke.

And yeah, pretty much the only games I played were Mario 64, Goldeneye, OOT, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. First and second party games. Though I got conned by Edge magazine into shelling out for Turok 2 plus expansion pak. Christ, that was underwhelming.

As soon as I got stuck in the water right at the start (I didn't know you could jump then) I got that sinking feeling that I'd bought a turkey.
>>
File: MM64-comic.jpg (445KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MM64-comic.jpg
445KB, 1600x1200px
>>2959426

I hate this picture because it's deliberately made to make the N64 version look more empty, when in reality it's because, in the game, the buildings get destroyed if you let enemies destroy them, and they destroyed more buildings on the picture on the right than on the left, so of course it looks emptier.

Yes, I know the point is to prove the draw distance that is admittedly pretty bad on the N64 version (not that it's very good on the PS1 version either, though), but yeah it's a very nit picked picture.

The truth is that Megaman Legends doesn't have any definitive better version, the original PS1 version has a lot of issues on its own, it has a lot of camera glitches and invisible walls that were all fixed on the N64 and PC versions.
And while the PC version is the one that looks the best and has the better resolution, it also has its own problems like audio desync.

I own all 3 versions of Legends and everytime I want to replay it I do it on the 64 because of no loading times.

Oh also, N64 version is not censored and has the lewd cat girl magazine (US/EU PS1 version has an action hero instead).

The port could have been much better though, Capcom did a lazy job. But it's not really worse than the PS1 version, it just has its pros and cons, and the pros are better than the cons.
>>
>>2959307
>Hard mode - without requiring an addon expansion pack
>Nightmare mode - without a shitty framerate and/or prodigious amounts of fogging
Kek that's Turok 2 out of the running on both counts.
>>
>>2959658
>>2959658
>>2959658
>>2959658
Ok! What I really like about Mega Man games is all the action. Legends is a great game. Thanks for the memories.
>>
>>2959651
Turok 2 is fucking awesome, what are you smoking?
>>
>>2958438
I like it. It might not have a library of games as big as PS1, but the few good games that it had sure did mark the industry.
It also was a great part of my childhood just like many other people.
Also, of course the 3D looks horrible, every fucking 3D of that gen looked horrible, the difference is that N64 didn't have more complex textures on its models, which can be a good thing somethimes.
>>
>>2959436
as someone observing the battle I'd say you got your ass kicked
>>
I was fortunate enough to own both a PS1 and an N64. Although I think a lot of OP's points are true, the platform was nonetheless worth having around for some of its exclusives. I don't know if I could have lived without OoT, Smash Bros. and Banjo.

If the hardware weren't such a clusterfuck to emulate, I'd probably just play these games on my desktop, but the state of N64 emulation is unfortunately no better than it was 10+ years ago.

>Loss of RPG support
Sadly
I for one enjoyed the N64's colorful array of kiddie platformers.
>still used cartridges
Which was one of the console's selling points for me. Although cartridge-based media was more expensive, it wasn't prone to the same issues as optical media. Longevity is important to a retro gamer.
I never understood this meme. I would keep my left hand positioned under the center, with my thumb on the joystick and my trigger finger on the Z-trigger. This never felt awkward to me, but maybe that's just my opinion.
>all of the 3D models looked horrible
Well, better than the PS1. The textures seem cleaner, and the polygons aren't so prone to clipping through other parts of the character model.

The PS1 did pull off some nice trickery with later games, though. Vagrant Story had characters will fully animated facial features, moving hair, and complex particles and lighting effects. I don't know if the N64 could have supported the game in full detail.
>>
>>2959315
>here's gran turismo for comparison
>Arrive
Now I know why my French flatmate kept saying "I'm arriving" when we played Mario Kart Double Dash and he was catching up to me.
>>
>>2959738
>Vagrant Story had characters will fully animated facial features, moving hair, and complex particles and lighting effects. I don't know if the N64 could have supported the game in full detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nek5y4Q0mog
>>
>>2959651
>Though I got conned by Edge magazine into shelling out for Turok 2 plus expansion pak. Christ, that was underwhelming.

>As soon as I got stuck in the water right at the start (I didn't know you could jump then) I got that sinking feeling that I'd bought a turkey.

I think it's more like your mom got a turkey when she had you. "conned by edge into buying Turok 2"... wtf? Even if you hate the game, you weren't "conned" since most normal people at least like it and lots rank it one of the best N64 games.
>>
>>2959770
It was an allusion to the scandal of Edge taking kickbacks for positive reviews. They gave Turok 2 a solid 9/10 and billed it as basically Goldeneye with dinosaurs.

What we got was a slow, tedious wander-fest, with an awful framerate, and an apparent dice-rolling algorithm to determine whether your weapon had any effect on the enemy.

Not to mention the 2 player mode.

The game was fucking shit. And this is coming from someone who played it all the way through just to give it a chance.

The first 2 levels were okay-ish once you put to bed the idea that this was no Goldeneye. But it went downhill from there fast.
>>2959775
>>
>>2959780
I don't want fucking allusions to scandals happen 20 years ago. If you want to point out that then just go ahead and say it.

Again: nobody cares about your lousy and incorrect "observations" and "coming from someone who played it all the way through just to give it a chance".... the point is that the vast majority of people loved the game and still do. SOME don't like it, complaining it's too big and boring at times, has nothing to do with your ridicuclous imaginary criticisms.
>>
>>2959801
>I don't want fucking allusions to scandals happen 20 years ago
And?

You are just one anon. I see plenty of posts all the time that I don't agree with/appreciate but I don't stamp my feet and go "I DONT WANT THAT IN MY SAFE SPACE".

Fuck you. I was just posting my way. You post your way.

And sorry for going over your head, too. But shit happens...
>>
>>2959801
>>2959808
And my criticisms still stand. The lottery aspect of it, in particular.

Seriously, it was completely random whether a shot affected an enemy. There was no internal "energy bar" for them. Once I fired about 7 grenades right at an enemy and nothing happened.

Other times one grenade would kill that same enemy instantly.

In the multiplayer game, you walked at the speed of an emphysemic OAP. Oh I'm being shot from behind - hold on for 12 seconds while I turn around to confront this threa... oh, too late.

And it was just boring and empty. Collect a load of trinkets on the 7 miles between save points. Missed one? Whoops better go back and get it.
>>
>>2958805
I remember picking that up in Electronics Boutique for a fiver. It wasn'tg great but totally worth a fiver. And better than Turok 2 by miles.
>>
>>2959817
I told you, I am not interested in entertaining your delusions, none of that has any truth to it at all.
>>
>>2959608
>https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,72694.msg641017.html#msg641017

Rigged as fuck. In practical use (mainly stereo tracks) ADPCM is far less intrusive than MP3.
>>
>>2959943
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/p/pangj/research/img/pdf/g_ADPCM_IEEE_predictor.pdf

>we found that ADPCM and MP3 give comparable sound qualities
>>
>>2958484
>When people point out the weakness in RPGs and strength in platform games, nobody ever seems to mention that N64 was definitely the FPS console
>>Goldeneye
>>Perfect Dark
>>Doom 64 (which was actually an exclusive Doom sequel, not a port of any existing game)

Fucking truth. If you wanted arcade racers, platformers, and quality FPS N64 was the way to go.

No doubt PSX had it beat on anything that required large filesize ... RPGs being the easiest comparison.

More than any other retro console war, N64 vs. PSX was the most useless debate since there was so little meaningful overlap between the console's libraries.
>>
>>2960105
Fucking nailed it.
>>
>>2959040
>and the game just feels really slow
This is because the game REALLY pushed the N64. The maps had to be redone to fit on the cart and memory, audio was chopped, etc. The best thing about the N64 version was the hardware rendering support for colored lighting.
>>
>>2960105
>Fucking truth. If you wanted arcade racers, platformers, and quality FPS N64 was the way to go.
Ridge Racer Type 4 > Any N64 racer
>>
>>2959275
>Only because Sega went out of business. If they hadn't they would have stayed Dreamcast exclusives.

>what is windows ce
>>
>>2960160
>This is because the game REALLY pushed the N64

I refuse to believe the game needed to have ridiculously choppy animation. Also, Perfect Dark looks tons better.

I mean it's a pretty alright port, but in relative proportion to the capabilities of each system, the PS1 version is more impressive.
>>
>>2959426
>indiana jones and the infernal machine
jesus fuck that game gives me nightmares when I think of bugs/difficulty.
>>
>>2960163

F-Zero X > Any Wipeout
Wave Race 64 > Jet Moto
Mario Kart 64 > CBR
Diddy Kong Racing > CBR
Mickey's Speedway USA = CBR
>>
>>2960175
Perfect dark used multiple low resolution textures for models and maps, also was purpose built by rare for the N64 (Rare has by far the most experience with the N64 dev kit of all teams at this point, being the first team to have access to it). Quake II used larger resolution textures but used them to single models.
>>
>>2960192

You're probably going to get a lot of people upset over the kart racing games, that always triggers a lot of people.

But I can definitely agree about Wave Race 64.
God damn that game is tight as fuck.
>>
>>2960195
>Perfect dark used multiple low resolution textures for models and maps

Huh? The textures in Perfect Dark are pretty good actually.

That multiple textures thing...that's something you have to do on N64, it's a good thing. The system has a hard 4KB limit per texture call, so if you want high-res textures you actually need to make several calls per texture.
>>
>>2959129
Is there really no n64 that appeals to you?
I agree with what that other anon said. I've always found at least ONE enjoyable game in each system I've played.

I don't really like system all that much (because of the lackluster library), but Mischief Makers and Goemon are great.

I'm kinda spoiled by Sony systems though, where I tend to find roughly over a hundred games that I enjoy.
>>
>>2959307
He asked first, bruh

You don't get to ask questions without answering his's first.
>>
>>2959383
>Saturn and Dreamcast on the other hand maintained zero compatibility. Z E R O
Because Saturn hardware was a frankenstein-like nightmare and Sega wanted to get as far away from that shit ASAP.
>>
>>2960274
Aside from Treasure's output, there's nothing redeeming about the N64.
>>
>>2960302

Goemon is Konami.
>>
>>2960312
Goemon sucked ass as did the other 3D platformers on N64.
>>
>>2960315

Well, that's like your opinion.

Also the 2nd Goemon game is a side-scroller.
>>
File: Goemon423434234.jpg (43KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
Goemon423434234.jpg
43KB, 500x350px
>>2960315
>Goemon sucked ass

There's a limit to how much you can shitpost, and you've clearly surpassed that point
>>
>>2960326
>Also the 2nd Goemon game is a side-scroller.
...that plays worse and has shittier level design than Goemon 4 on SNES.

Let's face it, the N64 was mostly worthless.
>>
>>2960361
Really? I thought the level design was amazing, I actually didn't like Goemon 4's level design as much as Goemon's Great Adventure or even Ganbare Goemon 2, but it's still a good game, has pretty good boss fights.
The controls are also fine, and the co-op is definitely the best Goemon ever had. I consider GGA the peak of Goemon in terms of both gameplay and level design.

And let's face it, you just have a big hateboner for the N64.
>>
>all these desperate anons that want to "prove" that the n64 was "shit"
>mfw theyre just disguising theyre moronic console warrior bullshit

Lets face it, you people dont care about vidya. You just care about shitflinging on the net. Ive found games to love on every platform Ive experienced. Its absolutely pathetic how often these types of threads are created. Absolutely. Pathetic.
>>
I'll be sincere, I hated the N64 for a long time because I couldn't properly emulate it. I had emulated a few games like Mario 64 and OOT, but I was in a mindset where I was biased to dislike them, I also used to be more anti-Nintendo when I was a kid.

Now I have a good job and started actually buying consoles, and since I got my N64 I gotta say it's a lot better than I expected, and can play the games without having to deal with unstable emulator glitches which even if it doesn't seem like a big issue, it really killed the experience for me, and made me feel uneasy about it. Now I just pop up a cart, switch the console on, and it works perfectly.

Been enjoying Mischief Makers and Jet Force Gemini a lot, both games that I discovered thanks to folks here on /vr/.

I'm not waiting for a gamebit screwdriver so I can mod the cart slot and play japanese games, planning to import Sin and Punishment since everyone says it's one of the best games on the system.
>>
>>2960387
>And let's face it, you just have a big hateboner for the N64.
I don't hate it, I just consider it the weakest gen 5 system. There was no reason to own it in the '90s when PSX was objectively superior.
>>
>>2960405

I owned both. Sucks to have been you with only one.
>>
>>2960402

Nooo anon but you don't understaaaaand! 3D platformers are shiiiit and that's all the N64 ever had! What's that? an actually good game? sorry I can't hear you lalalal

i-it's not like I'm a console warrior who had only 1 system as a kid or anything though.
>>
>>2960405
>There was no reason to own it in the '90s

Except for the exclusives and ports of games that were superior on the N64.

I'm deeply concerned for anyone who is still fighting a mid 90s console war in 20-fucking-16. Where did everything in your life go wrong?
>>
>>2960405

That's the thing, you were a single-system person, so you think that your childhood was perfectly fine with just the PS1.

It was not, you missed on a lot of good games.
Yeah PS1 had a lot, but isn't it better to have more? I also had a Saturn and a N64, and a PC. To be honest I didn't play PS1 that much until 1998/99 when MGS came out, in 1996 I didn't use my PS1 as much as my N64 or Saturn.
>>
>>2960409
I actually owned the N64 back in the day and played games on my friends/neighbors PSX systems. I was mad jelly of their games, like Metal Gear Solid and Megaman Legends, but I'd already invested in the N64, unfortunately.
>>
I haven't played either Mario 64 or Paper mario.

Broke my foot yesterday so I'm taking it easy today but looking for something to play on a lazy sunday. Which one of these two should I get?
>>
>>2960418
MML 1&2* I know N64 got Megaman 64 but I was pissed we didn't get the sequel.
>>
>>2960424

And what games did you have for your N64?

I was the opposite of you, I was a PS1 kid, but I went almost everyday to my friend's place to play N64 on 4 player multiplayer with his brothers and other friends. I was jelly of his N64 and wanted to play Smash and F-Zero at home.

Grass is greener on the other side, etc.

idorts were lucky.
>>
>>2960431
I had about 20 games (and played more with rentals) by the time N64 died. Looking back I have no idea why I stuck with the N64, guess I just hoped Nintendo would pull through.
>>
>>2960437

As someone who only had a PS1, don't feel bad, I felt the same way as you but wanted a N64 instead.

The good thing is that now we're adults and we can play all the games we want without limitations (other than time).

I'm actually going back to N64 more than I go to PS1, probably because it's the system I wanted as a kid and never could have.
Now you can play PS1 if you want, but doesn't mean you have to hate on your good ol 64, I still like my PS1.
>>
>>2960458
At least you got the more diverse library. I was mostly stuck with shitty 3D collectathons/platformers. We didn't even get the best N64 game, Sin & Punishment, till years later.
>>
>>2960163
Nah. It's alright. I bought it second hand a few years ago and enjoyed it for about an hour, until I realised I'd seen literally all there was to it. What was it, 4 tracks in total? Something paltry like that.

F-Zero X, on the other hand, is the best racing game there has ever been, or will ever be. It's just so silky and flowing, and the aerodynamics just feels so right.

The GC version demonstrates precisely why Sega were always second-rate, compared to Nintendo. It's like they completely missed the entire point of the game.
>>
>>2960474

What are you talking about? I remember playing Smash Bros., F-Zero, Wave Race, Starfox, Battletanx, WWF, and many other games at my friend's place, none of them were 3D collecthatons or whatever. He had Mario 64, but I never got to play it as a kid because it was single-player and we mostly did multiplayer games, especially those with 4 players because we were actually a bunch of people there, he had 2 older brothers plus other friends from the neighborhood as well.

Yeah the PS1 has an amazing library but as a kid I didn't knew about the many hidden gems it has, I mostly had "shitty 3D platformers" like Crash, Spyro and Croc, which I loved as a kid by the way, but I always wished I'd had a N64 to play these other games I listed. Again, you'll always want what you don't have, it's like a universal law.

I'm sure not all of your 20 games were collecthatons.
>>
>>2960486
>I mostly had "shitty 3D platformers" like Crash, Spyro and Croc
I was gonna call you out for calling those games shitty, but then I noticed the quotation marks. I'm guessing you don't consider them shit now?

Croc is pretty lackluster though.
>>
>>2960486
Yeah, it was alright for multiplayer experiences, but I wanted awesome single-player experiences, and N64 kinda failed to deliver in that regard.
>>
>>2960501

What you say is as if I'd say "Yeah, the PS1 was alright for single-player experiences, but I wanted awesome multi-player experiences, and Ps1 kinda failed to deliver in that regard".

Stop looking at the grass greener on the other side. N64 has a lot of great single player games, same as how PS1 also has a lot of great multi games. PS1 has MGS, N64 has OOT, and yeah they're both "overrated", so what? they're fucking great.

>>2960496
of course I was kidding. I even like Croc for what it was. Not awesome but it's a likeable little game.
>>
>>2958438
You're mostly right, I'd say it's easily the worst home Console Nintendo every made. It gets by far the least play time of any of my consoles.

Way off on carts though. Optical media isn't nearly as reliable as carts.
>>
>>2960419

Both are pretty good, but it depends whether you want to play a platformer or an RPG (although Paper Mario has some slight platforming, it's not the main focus).
Get the one that's cheaper, probably Mario 64.
>>
As an N64 fanboy in my childhood, I was always kind of jealous of the grittiness of the PSX graphics when handled well.

Gran Turismo is an example. Very jaggy and lots of dithering but somehow it looked amazing because of it.

It was like when I was a SNES-kid looking at the MD versions Aladdin and thinking "how the fuck did they manage that? It's beautiful!"

Same goes for Ecco.
>>
>>2960551
>It was like when I was a SNES-kid looking at the MD versions Aladdin and thinking "how the fuck did they manage that? It's beautiful!"
>inb4 that SNES!Aladdin fag
>>
>>2960560
Who?

Anyway I liked the SNES Aladdin but it seemed to lack the "pizazz" of the Megadrive one. Unlike a lot of license games, they were competely different games by different companies.

But I'm sure you probably know that. Just saying....
>>
>>2960560

Aladdinfag here, I never said the sprite animations weren't awesome.

The backgrounds, on the other hand...
>>
>>2958438
The library had huge holes in the fighting game and rpg area, but had an abundance of great arcade racers, platformers and some shooters.
The controller was the best single analogue controller out there since it allowed for a lot of different control options and has great ergonomics. Really blows things like the Saturn and Dreamcast controllers out of the water.
As for why its still popular, the great number of good multiplayer games and the option of 4 player local multiplayer, which most systems in the grand scheme of things don't have much of. Combine that with the durability and quick loading of carts compared to games on Disk and its obvious that its a system that is convenient to dust off and hook up compared to the original playstation or Saturn.
It should be noted as well that for the most part n64 games looked in some ways better than ps1 games, which is especially evident when you compare the small number of games that came out on both like Robotron X/64 and Megaman Legends/64. Legends and 64 is a particularly interesting example since it shows the advantages of both systems really well: the N64 version shows off the systems greater power by having a greater polygon count while the PS shows off the advantages of a Disk based system with great looking textures without blurring.
>>
>>2960715
>The library had huge holes in the fighting game

Like Fighters Destiny. Could have been a serious contender if they'd just gone for the energy bar system we're all used to. But no, they had to be clever and alienate people from what was probably the only potentially good fighting game on the system.
>>
>>2960568
On which version?
>>
>>2960567
The guy that says Genesis Aladdin has "strange" hitboxes and "floaty" controls and worse level design than Capcom Aladdin.
>>
File: aladdinPlatformers_04.png (162KB, 800x280px) Image search: [Google]
aladdinPlatformers_04.png
162KB, 800x280px
>>2960732
Virgin Aladdin has great sprite animations, but the backgrounds are just there while the Capcom game has a lot more detail and polish put into the overall visual design. Virgin's game only focuses on the sprites.

>>2960732
That's me, although I'm not the only one who says that about Perry's games, it's a common notion that the guy does make games with the best hitbox detection or level design, but he's good at digitalizing hand drawn animation.
>>
File: n64arch.gif (31KB, 594x498px) Image search: [Google]
n64arch.gif
31KB, 594x498px
N64 was the best.

>the most precise analog stick, and with octagonal gates. ONLY console with an analog at the time. Still the only console where you can centralize your thumb and not have to stretch awkwardly to control a game except for the Wii. Also, can be dual-wielded for Star Wars/Perfect Dark/Goldeneye.
>Third-party support
>Top tier First-party/Second-party.
>Carts, so no loading ever.
>four player split-screen multiplayer. Really, on the GCN can match N64 when it comes to local MP.
>Reality Co-Processor ahead of its time allowed it to share the processing for rasterizing, sound generations, and textures; and made it the most powerful computer in the world at the time (in fact, the chip was designed "using six supercomputers running simulations for 24 hours that took seven days to complete. The result is a processor smaller than a fingernail.")
>It is possible to produce 16bit stereo sound at up to 48Khz (greater than CD at 44.1Khz). The number of sound channels is not defined in hardware. The total number of simultaneous voices depends on the software although 64 channels is apparently possible.
>best graphics which allowed for a multitude of unique styles (Chameleon Twist, Sin & Punishment, StarFox, Turok 3). N64 is the only true low-poly 3D system that ever existed. PC never had a low poly age. It was all software 3D just like the PS1. When people say "I wish indie developers made low poly games" they are really saying "I wish the N64 was still around."

I've heard the N64 is able to play on HD TV's also, because it has a built-in upscaler as HD was coming out in Japan that year. Also, an anon on /vr/ said that the N64 was capable of playing Majora's Mask without Expansion Pak if Nintendo had optimized it a little more. You can inject the ROM from Collector's Edition into a WAD on an Everquest and play the game.

Squaresoft made a mistake leaving Nintendo.
>>
>>2960720
Clay Fighter 64 is passable too if you don't need a complex fighter and aren't annoyed by its humour. At least Killer Instinct was pretty good and smash bros is a thing. Better than the 64 rpgs at least, where its either Paper Mario or Tactics Ogre and neither of those are at all traditional rpgs.
>>
No ur not the only one who thinks that, we have this thread once every few days.
>>
>>2960839
>the most precise analog stick, and with octagonal gates
Good call. I said this in another thread last night and got flamed for it. I used Monkey Ball on the PS2 as an example of how important they are.
>>
>>2960849
>>2960720

There's Rakuga Kids which is a quirky but actually fun 2D fighter by Konami, it was only released in Japan and Europe though.

And banpresto released Super Robot Spirits, which is a 3D fighting game based on the Super Robot Wars series, but only released in Japan of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RBSQe0d7U
>>
>>2960764
Well you're wrong, I don't remember any odd hitbox detection and I preferred the extra degree of limberness that Aladdin had in the Genny version over the SNES version. As for levels, well, they were both good. I think the more maze-like levels suited the Aladdin style.

Also, dat fuckin' sword, man.
>>
File: 1449300989914.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449300989914.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>2960404
>planning to import Sin and Punishment since everyone says it's one of the best games on the system.

It is. It's like owning an arcade cabinet. On a cart. I would still have to give the edge to StarFox 64 in the long run though. The flaw with all rail-shooters is that they're linear, so you can only play them so many times before you've memorized everything.

But S&P does have a good hard mode to compensate.
>>
>>2960839
>It is possible to produce 16bit stereo sound at up to 48Khz (greater than CD at 44.1Khz)
This is a cost cutting measure, not a quality improvement. Correctly mastered CD audio maxes out safe human hearing capability. The point of 48kHz is letting you use cheaper analog reconstruction filters.

>software 3D just like the PS1
PS1 was hardware 3D. There is no requirement for perspective correct texturing to qualify as "hardware 3D".
>>
>>2960870
>Also, dat fuckin' sword, man.
Sadly not compatible with Nintendo's then "family" policy.

And what's hitbox detection? The rectangle that bounds a sprite for collision detection?
>>
File: 1408508382282.png (421KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1408508382282.png
421KB, 1600x1200px
The 64 was my first console I got and remember playing as a kid. Nintendo really fucked up with this one but i guess its understandable why they went with Cartridges..?
A lot of the hype it gets now a days are from kids on facebook and twitter who false nostalgia for the 90s tells them otherwise. It had potential and it could of been a beast if Nintendo didn't make so many god damn mistakes.

>most of the games are overhyped and circlejerked by le gaemr crowd
OoT, Goldeneye, and Banjo sucked

>Shitty AA graphics and fog

They are good games for it like S&P, Wave Racer 64, PD, Smash 64, Conker, and Mario 64 but people give it more credit than it even needed. If they added CDs, 64 would of won, and I like Sega more.
>>
File: Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg (121KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg
121KB, 640x480px
>>2960870
>extra degree of limberness

What do you mean? Aladdin is more acrobatic on the Capcom game, you can bounce off enemies or objects, as a result the game is a lot more momentum-based.

And yeah, I guess using a sword is cool and nintendo is kiddy haha, but wait... when the fuck did Aladdin use a sword in the movie? no, really.
Anyway, the sword would have been cool if the hitbox was better. As it stands, throwing apples was the best form of attack in the game.

Compare the last boss on the Capcom game: a screen-sized snake that you have to beat by timing your jumps and bouncing off its head to not get hurt by the fire below.

Virgin's game final boss: a tiny snake sprite that looks out of place and all you need to do to defeat it is spam apples at it.

I was disappointed with that final boss, really. For a game with such a great sprite treatment, why couldn't they make a spectacular final boss fight? the game deserved it.

As for level design, sorry I personally don't find the typical western-style level design where you just navigate through a simple maze more fun than going through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixsN-Dp6xo

This level also shows how important the physics and acrobatic controls on the Capcom game are.
>>
>>2960873
>Correctly mastered CD audio maxes out safe human hearing capability.
Surely that depends on how loud you listen to it? How can a stream of bits inherently be "too loud"?

>The point of 48kHz is letting you use cheaper analog reconstruction filters

How so? I'd have thought that, due to the predominance of CD at the time, 44100Hz reconstruction filters would be cheap and abundant.
>>
File: no.png (419KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
419KB, 600x600px
>playing games that look like they have vaseline smeared on the screen

You people disgust me.
>>
>>2960895
Haha, are you the same guy that teases Australia-kun? You're one of the funniest posters on /vr/. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>2960873
Are you the same bro from the other thread I was arguing with that I responded to with the PS1's lack of affine correction?

What's the difference? Its 3D still lacked a Z spectrum. It's not real 3D. It's just running the software. I suppose you could call it an issue of the hardware not being capable, but that's misnomer in my opinion because a post-90's PC can do software and real 3D.
>>
>>2960896
>Surely that depends on how loud you listen to it? How can a stream of bits inherently be "too loud"?
If you turn it up loud enough to hear the quantization noise you are damaging your hearing.

>44100Hz reconstruction filters would be cheap and abundant
True. I forgot the other advantage of 48kHz - it impresses idiots like the typical Nintendo fanboy.
>>
>>2960901
I don't see any vaseline smearing in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkDoR06X7Y
>>
File: AladdinNES.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
AladdinNES.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>2960875

Aladdin wasn't made by Nintendo, it was made by Capcom.
Virgin actually released a port of Aladdin on the NES with the sword. Nintendo had nothing to do with either Capcom or Virgin's game.
>>
>>2960928
I know. Nintendo didn't make Mortal Kombat either but that didn't stop the first SNES one having the blood censored.
>>
>>2960908

Never actually exchanged any words with this Australia-kun, but I've seen his name being mentioned on Castlevania threads.

I'm just aladdin-kun.
>>
>>2960918
>If you turn it up loud enough to hear the quantization noise you are damaging your hearing.
If you turn it up so that it "maxes out safe human hearing capability" you're damaging your hearing too. But why would you do that? You appear to be saying that extra sample resolution is inherently dangerous.
>>
>>2960932

That theory would be substantial if the NES game didn't have the sword, or if there was blood on the Genesis game and removed on the NES game. As it stands, the Capcom game doesn't have a sword simply because the gameplay is designed to be different, not because of Nintendo deliberately telling Capcom not to use a sword.

Also I'm still trying to think in what instance of the movie did Aladdin use a sword. I know it's not important, but I can't remember any, I do remember Apu used one at the beginning of the movie to scare off the guards, though.
>>
>>2960945
If it's safe then it is by definition not damaging hearing. I am not saying extra sample resolution is inherently dangerous, I am saying that being able to tell the difference between correctly dithered 16bit and higher is dangerous, because it requires damaging volume levels. Therefore 16bit is sufficient for listening purposes.
>>
File: son....jpg (53KB, 362x400px) Image search: [Google]
son....jpg
53KB, 362x400px
>>2960918
>loses argument
>I KNOW, I'LL START SHOUTING AD HOMINEMS!

You got called out for making shit up, and now you have to live with that.
>>
N64 is pure shit. Only nintoddlers think it's good and they should fuck off back to /v/.
>>
>>2960952
>As it stands, the Capcom game doesn't have a sword simply because the gameplay is designed to be different, not because of Nintendo deliberately telling Capcom not to use a sword.
Fair enough. I guess I just assumed that was the reason because of all the fuss surrounding the censored SNES MK (which was due to Nintendo's meddling as far as I'm aware).
>>
>>2960961
Oh right. That makes more sense.
>>
>>2960952
Well, the NES one was a bootleg game, so.
>>
>>2960973
>>2960976
Oh shit, now this changes everything. Could this have been down to Nintendo's pussyass policy too?
>>
Just dropping in here again to remind everyone the N64 boasted the best game of all time and you couldn't play it for 5 years on anything else unless you owned one.
>>
>>2960979
Bootleg games don't go through the policy. Same thing with the Bible games.
>>
File: aladdin-nintendo.jpg (39KB, 420x577px) Image search: [Google]
aladdin-nintendo.jpg
39KB, 420x577px
>>2960976

The NES one wasn't a bootleg, it was officially released by Virgin with Nintendo's license.
>>
>>2960990
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Aladdin_%28Super_Game%29

B O O T L E G
>>
>>2960994

Read what you post at least

>This is one of three ports of Virgin's Aladdin games to the NES, alongside Aladdin II and the official European NES port.

It says right there that there are 3 ports of the virgin game, 2 are bootlegs, but there was an official release by Virgin in Europe, which is this one: >>2960990
>>
>>2958438
considering it was outsold by the PSX 3 to 1, i would say you obviously aren't the only one
>>
>>2960839
>I've heard the N64 is able to play on HD TV's also, because it has a built-in upscaler as HD was coming out in Japan that year

Are you out of your mind?
>>
>>2961003
Reading is too hard. I rather believe there was just one version that slipped under Nintendo's radar.
>>
>>2960913
That's like saying the SNES scaling/rotation in mode 7 was completely done in software, which is completely retarded. You can also do software real 3D, so your argument falls flat.
>>
>>2960987
Well obviously, that's why this means there's still a possibility that it was down to Nintendo's policy. Hence:

>Could this have been down to Nintendo's pussyass policy too?
>>
PSX and Saturn ran in pseudo-3D. Neither of them were true 3D. They just simulated it with sprite layer manipulation. The N64, on the other hand, was the first real 3D console.
>>
>>2961023
HD was out in Japan in the late 80's/early 90's in Japan.

The HD scaler in the N64 is probably true, but probably only with the included AV cable.

Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>2961056
>sprite layer manipulation

A+ meme.
>>
>>2961056
None of those consoles had sprites. Also a z-buffer is not required for "real 3D".
>>
>>2961073
uhhh saturn's vdp1 was dedicated solely to drawing sprites
>>
>>2961079
It doesn't do real sprites, it just blits to a framebuffer like the Amiga.
>>
File: unicornfountain.png (25KB, 591x479px) Image search: [Google]
unicornfountain.png
25KB, 591x479px
>>2961039
>You can also do software real 3D

Uh, no you can't. That's the point. Real 3D has 3 axis'. Software-rendered 3D has only two. In fact it wasn't until Ocarina of Time that games started doing rendered cutscenes for precisely that reason. You couldn't make a camera move around an environment in software-3D unless you prerendered it.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/5
>>
>>2961056
What do you mean? Wasn't it 3D vertex data - probably transformed by matrix multiplications?

Whas the N64 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ULuMHGJI8

Was the N64 ray tracing or something?
>>
>>2961091
That's complete bullshit. I wrote real 3-axis 3D in QBASIC as a kid. (Wireframe only, but I was about 11 years old so it seemed awesome at the time). I specifically begged a math teacher to tell me the secrets of trigonometry before I was officially supposed to learn it, and I got a brief summary lesson and info on where to get the details in a textbook. There's nothing magical about hardware rendering. I remember using POVRAY too, which did better software 3D than any modern hardware, extremely slowly.
>>
>>2961091
>Software-rendered 3D has only two
But surely if you write code to manipulate 3D data then it's 3D? Doing it on a chip doesn't change that - it's the same thing going on.
>>
>>2961097
>I remember using POVRAY too, which did better software 3D than any modern hardware, extremely slowly.
Raytracing stuff is a lot more beautiful, but it takes too much horsepower.
>>
>>2961097
Did you make games too?

Also, how old are you?
>>
>>2961091
>axis'
It's axes.
>>
>>2961153
>Did you make games too?
Only thing I made that was even slightly fun was a Spacewar clone, long since lost. Just play The Ur-Quan Masters supermelee mode, it's the same thing but much better.
>Also, how old are you?
Early 30s.
>>
>>2961057
HD was out in Japan in the late 80's/early 90's in Japan.

No?
>>
>>2958438
The Nintendo 64 has a small library of really, really good games. That's it's niche I guess.

Stick to first party Nintendo games and Rare. Those are the only worthwhile games besides maybe Harvest Moon and Mischief makers
>>
>>2961285
Yes?

Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question or a rebuttal?
>>
>>2961057
I can confirm you're out of your mind.
>>
>>2961468
>>2961285
Same person.

HD was by no means popular in Japan, but it was available if you were rich enough to buy a TV like that.
>>
>>2958438
>still used cartridges

It's been 4 generations since, let's stop pretending that matters at all - it would be like bitching about the gamecube discs format.

>but they could have made better games
Cartridge-based games during the N64 it's just not what killed the N64 sales.
>>
>>2958438
>notthisshitagain.jpg
2.8/10

Seriously, the main thing cartridges had over their CD counterparts was the lack of the 45+ second LOADING... screen

>soworthit
>>
ps1 is actually hardware 3D, just really low quality hardware 3D, it does T&L, polygon sorting etc on dedicated chips fairly sure, not sure if GTE can do clipping though

n64 was probably the most hardware 3D system of its day, since it's GPU (RCP) can virtually handle every single step of the rendering process alone, except for display lists of course, plus the 3D was properly high quality perspective correct, z-buffer, anti aliased, sub-pixel accurate

saturn was also hardware 3D but to a lesser extent than the others, like the CPUs had to do a lot more work relatively speaking like T&L, much like a PC with a 3dfx card
>>
>>2958438
> all of the 3D models looked horrible
RE2 Looked better on the N64, the cartidges delivered a better performance than the PS1 the problem was it was hard to make games for it.

Just wanted to point this fact in this swamp of consolewar faggotry.
>>
>>2961473
And all the money in the world couldn't buy you an HD N64 because it didn't exist.
>>
>>2961797
>RE2 Looked better on the N64
No it didn't. RE2 had a higher resolution but worse everything else, from FMV to texture quality.
>>
I think N64 was a recipe for disaster because they pulled through with a number of quality games. But then again you could say the exact same thing about Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. I will however say the way N64 handles 3D, they did an exceptional job with the hardware anti-aliasing, massive scale capabities, 4 players, and analog stick.
>>
>>2962271
It's quite ironic that the N64 failed because it delivered a good piece of hardware that guaranteed better looking games and the best performance and an innovative controller.
>>
>>2959315
Not him or him and certainly not "moving goalposts" but Gran Turismo was never a graphical benchmark. Ridge Racer and Need For Speed, yes, fucking Ridge Racer and Need For Speed, has better environments and car models respectively, than Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo didn't wow people until GT3 for PS2.
>>
>>2962282
I think the 3D capabilities were pretty awesome, minus some framerate and fog issues, but please don't get all preachy about that controller. I think it's great they give you two formats for d-pad and analog stick use, but their creativity shouldn't have stopped at "let's add a third leg to it".
>>
>>2958438
I think a lot of people already knew this at the time of the release. "looked like they are covered in carpet" they would say. The games were "SAFE" version of PSX games too. Golden Eye and Wrestling was the only thing that saved that.
>>
File: tc1YT6Hl.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tc1YT6Hl.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>2961185
Oh. well I'm in my mid 20's. It's cool that you actually made a game and did something productive with that knowledge. You should try to find the game. I still don't follow what you're saying about the hardware 3D though. The 3DO's big thing was it was the first console with "Real3D," and the N64's was that it was the first AFFORDABLE console with "Real3D." I phrase it that way because that's how I think it was referred to (like Usenet days), but I could be making that up. Don't quote me on that.

>>2962221
Oh, so now the goalpost has changed. Look, several people online have vouched for the fact the N64 upscales to 1080p. I just have never confirmed it. But if you want to be an ass and talk like one, by showing no proof, then I'll just go ahead and take away the benefit of the doubt and tell you you're wrong.

>>2962257
Was it on the N64 you could change the blood color?

>>2962324
>please don't get all preachy about that controller
>"let's add a third leg to it".

You listen to me...
Do you not remember the first time you ever held a controller?
The gimmicks of early age 2D and 3D gaming are what retro culture is all ABOUT. Did you never pick up a chisel and etch your past-life into rock because the ink and quill hadn't been invented?
Nintendo had foresight and introspection, and rather than be toe-dipping sissies like Sony, they stepped out boldly and said "TRIDENT-SHAPE" because they knew it would stand out amongst CGI history and needed something equally befitting of the harbinger of early 3D control.
Naive people think "Oh it's because they were testing 3D and didn't know if it would pay off, so they could default to a standard control." You seriously believe Nintendo didn't have dual analogs in the testing phases of the controller?
It's so refreshing to play N64 games nowadays and have a free thumb to press buttons with. HISTORY NEEDED A CONTROLLER WITHOUT DUAL ANALOGS. Dual-thumber, the N64 controller is form-follows-function epitomized.
>>
>>2962395
No goalpost has changed unless you moved it. Lots of kids on the internet say lots of bullshit. Doesn't make any of it true. It's not my job to prove your bullshit wrong kiddo.
>>
>>2962283
it was a good comparison because WDC is the GT of the N64 since they both try to emulate real car physics unlike R4 and NFS
>>
>>2962395
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sub-Nyquist_sampling_encoding

Just read this and realize how dumb you look.
>>
Cause people were talking about it earlier in this thread, I played Quake 2 on N64 (Pak enabled) and PSX back to back to compare them. Here are my thoughts.

N64
+ Really colorful vivid picture (gotta be something like 24 bit color mode, cause I spotted not even a bit of dither filtering/mach banding)
+ Colored lighting looks very authentic to the PC version
+ Particle effects are clear and abundant
+ Lots of control options
/ Atmospheric music is a bit meh, doesn't suit Q2 as well as Doom 64, at least it's new content
/ Originals levels aren't as good as originals, but at least it's new content
- Animation on weapons and enemies is horribly jerky, like there is a serious lack of keyframes
- Movement feels slow and sedate

PSX
+ Colored lighting system is completely different to the other versions, but still quite good and has unique features such as simulated self shadowing on your weapon
+ Fast paced like PC version
+ Music and FMV from PC
+ Almost no texture warping, unusual for a PSX game
/ Levels are based on PC versions, but with some structural changes / compromises
/ Particles and transparencies look pretty good, just slightly messier than other version
- Level geometry is significantly sparser compared to PC and N64
- Overall picture and lighting appears to be rather color palette limited
- Not much in the way of control settings

Despite what I've been hearing to the contrary, I could not spot any significant differences in overall texture resolution on framerate between the two versions. In roughly the same proportion I saw a shit looking texture every so often, and some framerate drops when encountering groups of enemies.

Overall I found it really hard to pick a favorite, I suppose they both try to do different things and are solid ports.
>>
>>2958438
Lifetime Warranty?
>>
I like the n64

Fight me
>>
It had the same problem as every nintendo console since it has had: A poor library because of poor hardware choices.
>>
>>2965320

Gamecube library was fine anon.

Then the wii happened.
>>
>>2962757
>Japan had the earliest working HDTV system, which was named Hi-Vision (a contraction of HIgh-definition teleVISION) with design efforts going back to 1979
>>
>>2965773
Now read the rest.
>>
>>2965778
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w
>>
>>2958438
I think it's a good console, but it's nowhere near as good as the SNES.
>>
>>2958464
>Most N64 games pioneered elements of game design that weren't seen before
name one
>>
>>2969331
Naming one that didn't would honestly be harder.
>>
>>2958438
n64,ps, dreamcast and ps2 are the best. snes and nes suck.
>>
N64 is trash. PS1 was better in every way. EVERY WAY POSSIBLE.
>>
1. gamecube
2. gameboy advance
3. wii
4. nes
5. snes
6. 3ds
7. gameboy / gameboy color
8. n64
>>
>>2958438
Well, the SNES lasted until 1998, and the N64 only lasted until 2000. So it outlived it's predecessor by two fucking years.

The N64 was promising hardware, but that's not enough to carry it. It lived for 4 whole years, had tons of shovelware (more by volume as the PSX or SNES did) ad it had like what? 10 must own games?

It's a fucking joke, and people around here like to try and rewrite history and say shit like they know jack shit. It's pathetic.
>>
>>2965331
I remember being said that GCN library was bad five years ago and earlier.
>>
>>2969556
wow, then why did conker come out in 2001?

LEARN YOUR HISTORY, CHILD!
>>
Honestly 90% of RPG's from the PSX/N64 era are complete trash. I don't get why rpg's are such a big differentiatior, no one here grew up in japan where the n64 sold like shit compared to the US because there were no 100 hour waifu fests instead of creative western n64 games.
>>
>>2969542
Sigh.

1. NES, the king always and forever with by far the best game library in the history of gaming.
2. SNES, a really good runner up with also a very good library and awesomeness.
3. Far, far, far down the quality scale is a big steaming pile of dog shit.
4. Underneath that dog shit is every other console and handheld Nintendo ever shit out. Even the Gameboy was a tiny little hard to see underpowered pile of shit that was only fun if you were far away from home and desperate to play a goddamn videogame on.
>>
>>2969645
>sigh
nope
>>
File: Barbie aventure equestre.jpg (173KB, 940x910px) Image search: [Google]
Barbie aventure equestre.jpg
173KB, 940x910px
>>2969556
>more by volume as the PSX

you're mental.

PS1 had more games in total, good ones, but PLENTY of bad ones.

>ad it had like what? 10 must own games?

Do your research, it has way more than just 10 good games, and that's not even counting 1st party/Rare.

>It's a fucking joke, and people around here like to try and rewrite history and say shit like they know jack shit. It's pathetic.

This actually applies more to people like you. N64 was by no means "the best console ever made" (although I guess that's completely subjective, it's not in my opinion), but this whole "N64 sucked ass it had no games" is actually kids rewriting history and console warriors who only had a PS1 and need to justify their 1-system childhood by shitposting against the N64. That is pathetic.
>>
The N64 library was a joke. I love hating on this system. Makes me even more prideful of my ever growing PS1 collection.
>>
>>2970128

For one, it had more Treasure games than the PS1 got. And Silouhette Mirage was better on Saturn.
>>
File: 1450615961351.png (66KB, 800x831px) Image search: [Google]
1450615961351.png
66KB, 800x831px
Console war?
Console war.
>>
>>2970135
Grow the fuck up
>>
File: Kamiya_consolewar.png (147KB, 592x937px) Image search: [Google]
Kamiya_consolewar.png
147KB, 592x937px
>>2970135

I don't get why Sony fans always think it's Nintendo fans who call them "sonyggers", Nintendo fans are likely OK with playstation, especially since both Sony and Nintendo systems compliment each other well, and most Nintendo and Sony fans both enjoy japanese games, so it's a bit stupid to miss on good japanese games due to brand loyalty, for both Nintendo and Sony fans.
I think the "sonygger" word on /v/ was popularized by PC/Steam fans, and to a lesser extent Xbox fans.

In Japan, the actual Sony-hater is the Sega fan. After all, Sega-fans actually do have reasons to hate Sony, Nintendo is still releasing their stuff.
I have a japanese friend who is a huge Sega hardcore fan, like really huge Sega fan, and he told me Sega fans in Japan hates Sony, Square and Ban Dai. I don't remember why they hate Square since Square never released anything for Sega, but I think ban dai was because of some kind of backstabbing business they did to Sega, or something. Also, I believe the term "cockroaches" (gokiburi) to refer to Sony fanboys was coined by Sega fans.
>>
It got cucked hard with cartridges and a shit controller

/Thread
>>
>>2970135
They're called sonyggers cause thats what they are; while my first console was an atari 2600 I can still disagree, I own a ps2 and had a ps1, the glitchyness in some of the psx games were a joke and the graphics were still blocky.
All consoles had their good and bad but it looks from the chart like PC games had them all beat.
>>
>>2970231
>but it looks from the chart like PC games had them all beat.

PC was best in the 90s. If you could afford the expense of next year's GPUs having like 4 times the performance of the present years.
>>
File: 1389395658256.gif (5KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
1389395658256.gif
5KB, 650x450px
I would take the "samey" platformers with great gameplay over the "samey" JRPGs from ps1 (which consisted of 90% of the library) with 4 hours cutscenes/dialogue and simplistic gameplay.
>>
File: 10101_front.jpg (51KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
10101_front.jpg
51KB, 640x468px
>>2959489
>>2959491
>>2959498
Pic related was a pretty good Crash Bandicoot clone and it had a N64 port but I can't vouch for the developers on having the same punch naughty dog had to its hardware.
>>
>>2970498
This game is a pretty good example of what Crash Bandicoot would have looked like if Naughty Dog hadn't baked all that visibility data.
>>
File: B0000506BD.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (68KB, 489x500px) Image search: [Google]
B0000506BD.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
68KB, 489x500px
>>2970498
Better
>>
>>2970547
It got a release on pretty much every platform, even 6th gen. And it still managed to be fun.
>>
>>2970498
PC version was more complete with a lot more challenges
>>
>>2969556
>more shovelware than the PSX
>>
File: 0722_image_08.jpg (78KB, 424x244px) Image search: [Google]
0722_image_08.jpg
78KB, 424x244px
Seeing this thread reminds that the N64 is the console I most neglected out of the three fourth gen ones. I have plenty of PS stuff and dozen of SS games, but only three N64 games (Ocarina, Star Fox and Ogre Battle).

I'm tempted to track down the two Goemon games, but the second seems ridiculously expensive, even loose.
>>
>>2970821
*fifth gen
>>
>>2960415
*current year intensifies*
>>
>>2958484

>N64 was definitely the FPS console

You say this like it's a good thing
>>
>>2971192

seems like people can't get into a consensus.

N64 is a 3D collectathon machine?
An FPS machine?
A wrestlan machine?
A Mario and Zelda machine?
A racing machine?
A Treasure machine?
A fun machine[/spoiler?
>>
>>2958484
>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
I sure love FPS games that chug along at 10fps.

>Doom 64 (which was actually an exclusive Doom sequel, not a port of any existing game)
Ok, but, not as good as 1, 2 or Evilution.

>top tier ports of Hexen, Quake, Quake 2, Duke Nukem and Rainbow Six
Ports don't count.

>the Turok series
I believe these also came out on computer.
>>
>>2958438
I genuinely never understood the dislike for cartridges.

>way better loading times
>look better on a shelf and feel cool to plug in
>way more durable

I'll trade marginally better textures for faster loads any day.

Anyway, the N64 isn't shitty. You just like the SNES better. Because you probably had your prime childhood gaming moments playing on that system. Other kids experienced the same on the N64. Simple as that.
>>
>>2970821
If you're going to buy a goemon n64 joint buy the second one, its superior to the original in every way, but they are both very fun. The second is technologically superior and to me the gameplay was a lot more cohesive.
>>
>>2958484
>top tier ports

Holy shit, no.

>>2958497
So much this. Consoles are great at a lot of things but FPS isn't one of them - especially with that fucking horrible N64 controller.
>>
>>2958514
But /v/ is nintendo circlejerk central
>>
>>2958449
It wasn't even popular outside US.
>>
>>2972391

Is it? You must know, I guess.
I haven't been there in years but the last time I browsed /v/ they shat on anything and posted dank memes, barely discussed video games.
Not that /vr/ isn't going in the same direction, but...
>>
>>2969542
1. would go with ps2 coz it has more games and variety of genres, arcade collections and sega saturn ports/remakes
2. would agree
3. same as above (I hate playing fps games with controller anyway)
4. would go with famicom, it has proper label art on cart and more games and can play chinese/vietnamese bootlegs
5. agree
6. agree, because psv has no games
7. would agree
8. PSX all the way, more games, more influential titles, perfect arcade ports,
>>
File: dafuk.jpg (119KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
dafuk.jpg
119KB, 500x475px
>>2972447
>ps1
>perfect arcade ports
>>
>>2972394
True. But the US is fucking loud and this is the fucking pop / nostalgia culture we have to deal with now. Tiring, honestly.
>>
>>2972447
>because psv has no games
If you don't like Vita games, it doesn't mean others don't like them.
>>
File: goe.jpg (45KB, 165x165px) Image search: [Google]
goe.jpg
45KB, 165x165px
>>2972462

>a bloo a bloo, why people like thing I don't like

I'm from italy and me and my friends loved the N64 (along with the Saturn), I never paid too much attention to the PS1 until 1998 or so when Metal Gear released.
>>
>>2972464

You can play all 3 or 4 worthwhile Vita games on PS3.
Anyway not retro.
>>
>>2972451
Gradius, Parodius, and All Namco games are fucking perfect
>>
>>2972479

>Namco

Well, no surprise there since Namco based the System 11 on the PlayStation hardware.
Just like how Saturn has perfect model 2 arcade ports and even N64 has perfect arcade ports of Midway games.

PS1 has a couple good arcade ports, like DonPachi, but as a general rule the Saturn was the system to get if you wanted good arcade ports, not PS1.
PS1 is notorious for having butchered ports like Marvel vs Capcom, I wouldn't go as far as say the PS1 has "perfect arcade ports", it only has a selection of good ports but it has more bad ones.
>>
>>2972473
You're the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>2972498

Actually, in the real world most people aren't console warriors and those who genuinely like vidya just enjoy the most out of it.

Bitter people who keep fighting console wars from 20 years ago on the internet are actually a minority.
>>
>>2972498
Most people dont go out of their way to shit on the N64. You people do though, so are you not the exception?

I think so. Look, there are games to enjoy on just about every platform. Being a filthy console warrior makes you look like an unfun faggot.
>>
>>2972487
Model 2 is a quite bit more powerful than system 11 and the saturn model 2 ports are far from perfect
>>
>>2972479
fairly sure parodius was better on saturn
>>
File: 1387967199702.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1387967199702.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>this fucking thread is still alive
>on the first page
>>
>>2959541
Resident Evil 2 managed to fit both Discs of FMVs, voice acting and the entire game on a 64 mb cart.

With good compression im sure you could Fit the Crash games on an N64 cart.
>>
The N64 was the epitome of RARE. How is that overhyped you teenager peace of shit ?
>>
>>2960839
>Built in upscaler
What the fuck are you talking about, anon?
N64 can't do better than S-Video (or RGB when modded), and that's still a 240p signal. Upscaling is handled on the receiving end. Your N64 will look like total dogshit on an LCD unless you RGB mod it and pass it through a Framemeister.
>>
>>2972653
>Resident Evil 2 managed to fit both Discs of FMVs, voice acting and the entire game on a 64 mb cart.
*With some corner cutting of course.
>>
>>2973324
>*With some corner cutting of course.
And some enhancements like surround sound
>>
>>2973284
pro tip: it will still look like shit.

N64 has a built in pixel blur to assist shitty TV's in receiving it s shitty signal.

just use S-video with a crt or use the 400 dollar framemiester on an LCD with noticeable lag...
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.