[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does this game manage to have such a bullshit difficulty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: The_Immortal_cover_Genesis.jpg (60KB, 286x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Immortal_cover_Genesis.jpg
60KB, 286x400px
How does this game manage to have such a bullshit difficulty that relies on a lot of trial and error yet somehow doesn't have that diminish its enjoyment?
>>
>>2943390
Because trial and error can be fun if well designed.
>>
I think it's the way that everything feels original and different throughout the game, so it doesn't get old. Also, even though it seems to be badly programmed into the game, i love the music.
>>
>>2943390
Because you have save states
>>
>>2943670
Except I've been playing it on my Genesis.
>>
>LITERALLY WHO PRESENTS
>>
>>2943401
This. The concept has become a boogeyman for modern gamers, yet many classic games (most of them on the arcades) base their gameplay on trial and error and they're still fun as hell.
>>
Because Slowbeef once played it completely drunk while in a night bus made us all realize how entertaining that was.
>>
>>2943723
>Slowbeef
Fucking who?

Stop advertising your shit you fat fuck.

Anyway, the immortal was basically an adventure game with action elements. Adventure games from that time were all about trial and error, and getting killed for doing random things

It's a good game for people who played it back then and understand what games were like back then. Only fucking newbs who started playing "Retro" in the past couple years would trash it.
>>
>>2943750
All this mad is so delicious.
>>
>>2943723
nobody knows or cares about slowbeef or retsupurae autism. The only reason I know is when the occasional sperger like you brings it up
>>
>>2944124
I remember reading his Metal Gear 2 playthrough commentary and thinking it was pretty funny. I was a teenager though. I wanted to see the end of his Harmony of Dissonance playthrough but he stopped it pretty early on in the play.

I don't think Let's Plays are much now, but then again I didn't even know how to play MSX games back when I read that, much less that the MSX was a thing.
>>
>>2943390
Because most deaths are unique, so dying isn't really repetitive in this game. Seeing the death scenes is part of the fun.

It also somehow makes you feel like you're the one responsible for fucking up. The game opens with death two steps away from you and you always know you have to be extra careful, so in addition to dying being fun, you also feel it's your fault for not being careful enough. This kind of "I told you about the stairs bro" approach to design is hard to pinpoint, but I think Revenge of Shinobi and Atomic Runner pull this off, too. Dying doesn't feel unfair, it just feels like you fucked up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.