[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This is just like one of my Japanese animes! I was thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: pc-44345-61337931236[1].jpg (40KB, 431x333px) Image search: [Google]
pc-44345-61337931236[1].jpg
40KB, 431x333px
>This is just like one of my Japanese animes!

I was thinking over how the dialogue from Metal Gear Solid is a lot more memorable than the later games. Jeremy Blaustein worked on the localization of the game. From what I've heard, his dialogue is not 100% pure translations of the Japanese. Has anyone actually gone and compared the dialogue from the original Japanese game to what ended up in the English version of the game?

Especially curious about the most famous lines, like the one above.
>>
Pretty much, although I recall him saying in an interview that he regretted the can love bloom in the battlefield line. He also took some unnecessary liberties, like giving Mei Ling an accent when she's supposed to have grown up in America.
If you want to check out a more literal translation without knowing japanese, play Twin Snakes.
>>
>>2942657
>like the one above.

I see no reason not to think that line wasn't lifted from Japanese.

How about >he'd be sliced faster than an onion on an infomercial which I think was also cut from TTS.

>>2942657
>play Twin Snakes

The script is basically the same, and not so reminiscent of the Japanese save a few lines which they deemed not appropriate in the original, and the game blows.
>>
>>2942828
It's the same game. If it "blows," so does the original.
>>
>>2942909
Different anon but actually as someone who played Twin Snakes first (You know, cause it 'looks better and plays better') I'm beginning to appreciate the original. Trust me I love the MGS2-like controls and advantages but I'm starting to understand how it's a bit superfluous to add it all onto a game that didn't have that stuff in mind.

And after comparing some of the scenes I'm not sure if I like Twin Snakes' tone any more than the original's.
>>
I played through the first 10 minutes or so in Japanese because I was curious what Mei Ling sounded like and nobody has uploaded any fucking videos, and I consider the localization to be fantastic.

Honestly, I didn't see much point continuing, it's pretty much spot on work.

I've heard some things about the original, like Mantis saying "this feels nostalgic" as he's dying, because Kojima was retarded and wanted to tie it into a fucking explanation of Mantis remembering the feelings his mother had while protecting him as a foetus or something equally retarded.

I have no real doubt that pretty much every change was for the better, including the Mei Ling accent despite her being American. The game is supposed to be a fucking homage to spy movies, it borrows so much, and chicks with accents make perfect sense.
>>
As for the animes line, it's basically the same in Japanese.
>何なんだよ こいつら
>これじゃ まるでアニメじゃないか
Which basically translates to the English script:
>What... What's with these guys?
>...It's like one of my Japanese animes...

The original has more of a nuance of incredulity, though. Like the two have just popped out of a show rather than being actual people.

The Twin Snakes reading is particularly terrible, clearly the script notes were lost over the years and Otacon sounds downright upbeat at the idea of animes instead of cowering in the fucking corner after pissing himself.
>>
>>2943107
>wanted to tie it into a fucking explanation of Mantis remembering the feelings his mother had while protecting him as a foetus or something equally retarded.

Never knew about this but if it's true then I don't really feel like bashing Kojima for it. I'm a sucker for that lovey dopey stuff.
>>
>>2943185
Except the explanation isn't in the game. It's in some side material book or something.

It's dumb and confusing. The change to "helping someone feels nice" made more sense.
>>
File: 1385956345273.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1385956345273.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>2942909
>Thinking a shitty remake is the same as the original
>>
>>2942828
>>2942909
>>2942935

He still hangs out with Ryuhei Kitamura. I hope that somehow annoys a Twin Snakes hater.
>>
Basically the problem now is that cultural saturation of memes has reached the point where every individual player and developer is so savvy that whenever anyone makes any kind of joke or reference it floats with this sickening air of wink-wink nudge-nudge contrivance. No matter what you try to say or do everyone thinks they know already what you're trying to do and why you're doing it and the weight of judgement comes crashing down on every syllable and gesture. You can not make a single noise without the internet collectively worshiping, protesting, and criticizing every facet of your action as they clamor to be the first to deconstruct it in front of everybody.

To express any amount of sincerity or individuality or personality in anything you do is to put yourself on the operating table for a eldritch horror type hive mind to dissect.

Thus, every big thing that gets made now has all personality extracted and replaced with absolute professional objectivity and egalitarian equality of options and consequences, because anything else would mean that you're a fucking autist, racist, sexist, bigot, idiot, manchild, or faggot.
>>
File: CGzKI27VAAEvEBo.jpg orig.jpg (198KB, 875x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CGzKI27VAAEvEBo.jpg orig.jpg
198KB, 875x1024px
>>2942638
The original line これじゃまるでアニメじゃないか・・・ ("this like an anime, isn't it?"), so the English line is more or less a direct translation.

>>2942828
>The script is basically the same, and not so reminiscent of the Japanese save a few lines which they deemed not appropriate in the original, and the game blows.
Some of the script changes in TTS were downright autistic though.
>It's not a weak point, I prefer to think of it as a character flaw.
turns into
>It's not a weak point, it's a weakness.

I heard the reason for the script changes was due to the fact that Konami were contracted to pay royalties to Blaustein for his translation, so they changed enough of the script to consider it a new translation
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.