[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Experiences that cannot (usually) be replicated in modern games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

>beating the game on your last life of your last continue

Pic related because it's a game in which this can happen.
>>
File: volgarr.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
volgarr.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>2935059
>beating the game on your last life of your last continue
>>
File: samsho.jpg (15KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
samsho.jpg
15KB, 256x192px
>laugh with SNKgrish
>>
>>2935059
>Experiences that cannot (usually) be replicated in modern games

fun
>>
Plug in game game and play straight away.
>>
File: No casuals allowed.png (1KB, 176x176px) Image search: [Google]
No casuals allowed.png
1KB, 176x176px
Finally beating pic related.

Thinking about it I literally can't think of any brutal final dungeons or final bosses that actually are a challenge in modern RPGs.
>>
I remember the first time I beat Thunder Force 2 because I did it with my last life. So fucking satisfying watching the ending.
>>
>>2935059
>your last continue
Limited continues are a thing I really, really don't miss. They are okay with a password save, but otherwise I, personally, I can't stand them.
>>
>>2935095

OP here, I actually prefer unlimited continues too, but the scenario I mentioned is very satisfying.
>>
>>2935095
unlimited continues renders any arcade game meaningless. Nobody is going to self-impose a limit, usually it's like "oh I died... well, just one more".
>>
>>2935112
It doesn't really matter to me how they implement it, I just love the feeling of tension surrounding failure in a lot of /vr/ games. In many modern games, dying will cost you maybe 5-10 minutes of time. You can usually immediately reattempt the challenge you failed. But in retro games, you can lose 30, 45 minutes, maybe an hour or more. It makes you more invested in the game, and it makes you care about playing well.
>>
File: 2012-07-12-514395.jpg (552KB, 1030x1030px) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-12-514395.jpg
552KB, 1030x1030px
>>2935059
That shit gets intense. I finally got around to beating Wings of Wor. The entire final stage is a boss rush. I managed to not use a continue on all the other levels then suddenly a boss I beat many times before cock blocked me, maybe due to foreground objects blocking bullets/not having the power-up I usually had. Then shit went down between me and the final boss.

And in the end I saw my character land back on his marble pedestal and turn back into stone and this text came up:

Congratulations, you are a great warrior!

That was the end, and it felt great.
>>
File: Looking for Troubles.jpg (78KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Looking for Troubles.jpg
78KB, 500x700px
>>2935078
>1999+17
>not getting involved in the troubles
>>
This is something that is more specific to certain games, but one thing I've noticed about modern games is how movement in those games feels really terrible sometimes. Like, the basic act of moving your character around. In Witcher 3 for example, it felt like there was a layer of molasses between me and my character, and it made the game feel more like a movie than a game. In retro games, if you push a button to make something happen, it happens, without any further ado or fanfare. For me, no modern game has captured the sheer joy of movement found in Super Metroid. Compare also Skyward Sword and OoT/MM. Everything just feels clunkier. It's subtle, but when you notice it, it starts to grate on you.

There's no reason that modern games can't capture that same feeling, it's just that they often don't. As 3D games move towards implementing increasingly realistic animation and physics, they're discouraged from thinking about their basi game-like nature, and how they relate to the player as games.
>>
>>2935112
>but the scenario I mentioned is very satisfying
It definitely is.

>>2935131
You can still have Game Overs that send you back to the beginning to the level or to a check point. Little Ralph has a really good implementation of unlimited continues and is still considered to be one of the harder games to beat.
I recently beat Xexex on an emulator, abusing those unlimited continues, and it was still satisfying since every death send me back to a checkpoint and I had to learn to overcome the challenge imposed on me. Really nice game btw, one of the few shmups I really enjoy.

>>2935134
Most modern games are about the expierence of playing it and not the achievement of beating it. They even gave it a name, "cinematic expierence." It's just a different design choice.

>>2935059
Actual answer to the thread: Cutscenes -wait- made with sprites and background layers. Shit blew my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0k2sAR3hmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4HK4sqhqU
>>
Fast loading times.
>>
>>2935131
>unlimited continues renders any arcade game meaningless.

Well these are games not in your arcade but in your living room. If you aren't plunking quarters into your NES, what's it matter?
>>
>>2935928
>If you aren't plunking quarters into your NES, what's it matter?
Because mine requires blood.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1246820613/blood-sport-the-ultimate-in-immersive-gaming
>>
>>2935930
>suspended

This was suspended for health concerns, wasn't it?
>>
>>2935068
this game was so fucking excellent
>>
>>2935059
Thanks for the spoiler asshole.
>>
A good story

And I don't mean a narrative or well acted cutscenes.

I mean your own personal story you forge while playing the vidya. Situations that come up when just playing the damn game normally like in the one in the OP.

Everything nowadays is heavily scripted. There's no room for the player to fail or to get lost. Only thing that's come close for me has been Dragon's Dogma and Bionic Commando 09.
>>
When I played the first Dragonquest and went to the underground tomb to retrieve the magic harp or whatever it was, that was when I really understood the appeal of the old design. I've always loved good games regardless of when they came out, but in this moment it hit me like few games have before.

It's a typical dungeon, when you enter it's pretty easy but each subsequent floor has harder enemies. And you can't save inside the dungeon. By the time I got to the bottom floor, a common enemy was strong enough that they'd have stats about on par with my own. The only way to get through is to continuously outplay them. By the time I got the harp, I was low on everything. Items, health, magic, the dungeon had exhausted me.

But this wasn't the kind of game where you just warp out of the dungeon. After getting the harp, I had to go back through the whole thing. It was a fucking mad dash, every enemy I encountered was intense. Every TURN was intense, having to decide whether it was better to spend resources and fight or attempt running away. But if even a single turn spent running failed, the enemy would get a free hit, and I was close enough to dying that literally every turn of every battle mattered, and could break my whole run. By the time I escaped the bottom floor I was out of items. By the time I got to the first floor, I had less than a quarter of my health and no magic. Suddenly these pussy enemies I could USUALLY kill in one hit were a huge threat.

I left the dungeon with less than ten hp and went straight for the inn, then saved.

It'll always be one of my favorite gaming experiences, and it really taught me the value of old design. Modern games are safer, if you die you don't have to start all over, so failure isn't as dire. But the risk inherent in older games, the possibility of losing all the progress you've made, means that victory is so much more meaningful. It's a feeling of satisfaction modern design just can't provide.
>>
>>2936167
Yeah it is tedious when you get to a new area and the game stops you and explains the history or the goal once again, or what have you. I am in a new place, let me explore and interpret what I see for myself instead of stopping me with either cut scenes, text dumps, or dialogue,

It is a game, it is meant to be played, and it is its strength.
>>
>>2935089
Xenogears and Star Ocean 2 are the last most recent two I remember, both were pretty brutal. The rifts in FF12 was a slog but mainly because it was just so long and boring.
>>
>>2935059
>rolling for stats
>Running around constant 40 mph in an fps
>have fun without expansion packs/addon
>>
>>2936174
Word. I have a bad habit of emulating older games to avoid stressful shit just like you described. Saves me time and worry, but I miss out on those close shaves that really cement a game in your memory. I have similar memories of Dragon Warrior since I decided to play my CIB copy that I picked up on ebay around 2010. You really don't get the same experience from emulating something, using save states and rewind, and then forgetting the experience almost completely as soon as you've completed the game.
>>
>>2935084
That's all modern games are hahah
You honestly didn't get ges back then and dint study the manual on the way home?
>>
>>2935930
This is a joke, right? Nobody is really dumb enough to just waste blood like that...... Right?
>>
>>2935134

I'll never forget my experience with Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and this. Watching my lives slowly drain as I neared the final boss of the second playthrough, only to run out on the penultimate level, and then finally beating the game alongside my older brother at like 3 in the morning one night after hours of playing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.