[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Objectively top tier best jRPGs? Not most memorable but best,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

File: when.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
when.gif
2MB, 400x225px
Objectively top tier best jRPGs?

Not most memorable but best, in following terms:

>actual exploration
>no random encounters, or relatively low rate of them
>no tenaciously long spell/attack animations
>engaging with a sense of progression
>fun even today
>>
>>2932783
>objective
Please die.
>>
>>2932807
Please go back to your shit games
>>
Golden sun
Summon night 1&2
Mother series
>>
>>2932813
There can't be an objectively best experience, that doesn't exist. Subjectively (as in subjective to my taste) my favorite Retro JRPG mechanically is Final Fantasy 4.
>>
>>2932783
Maybe you should find something else if you don't like playing these games.
>>
>>2932783
Mother 1.
>>
>>2932819
Yeah, the whole "OBJECTIVELY BEST!" thing is shit that spilled over to /v/, from /b/, from shockingly lesser shitholes like Gamefaqs, lol. There's no genuine... Well, anything to it. It's just a buzzword that a retard is using, because he doesn't realize that it's designed to get responses.

Honestly, the first popular usage of the term that I saw was at Gamefags about 5 years ago, during the FFXIII buttrage. People hated the game, couldn't explain why, so everything was suddenly "objectively" this and "objectively" that.

And yea, the term got used before then, but not to this extent. After that, it was only a matter of time till retards and trolls on /b/ caught on (though there was likely a few steps before hand. Likely going through Reddit first, like most of /b/'s content). So the "objectively" best or worst of this and that became a new troll staple.

/v/ is basically /b/'s little brother. So anything /b/ does, /v/ does. Only in it's own, "special", little brother way. Because they're TOTALLY not copying big brother /b/...
And now it's spilled over into here. Because refugees from /v/ are too stupid to know the correct usage of the term, or that it's meant to be a troll. Because /v/ is very likely their first experience with the internet.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I've seen shit like this for years, and I've been online for 23 years, so take that as you will.
>>
>>2932823
This.

I'll never understand all the crying about random encounters. I mean, sure, in some areas in many games it' tedious or just annoying. And in games like FFI where there's hallways where you have an encounter literally every step. But it's just part of the fun.

Call it archaic if you want, but it's a mechanic that works just fine and serves a purpose.
IMO, grinding in games with set enemy locations, or low encounter rates is a fucking chore. And really, not having enemies displayed on screen allows games to run smoother and have better graphics (less to process at any given time). So why complain?

Just imagine a game like FFXV with random encounters. How much more beautiful the game world could be, without all the fucking giant ass creatures and shit that have to be rendered all the time. Just sayin.
>>
>>2932850
>I'll never understand all the crying about random encounters. I

That's because you are autistic, since to you playing the same battle against same 4 enemies on the same background location for literally dozens of time per every single fucking area every five steps you make is perfectly acceptable.

It's retarded.
>>
>>2932853
Okay, the thread started out terrible and is only getting worse, I say everyone just hide the fucking thing at this point.
>>
>>2932783
Aren't the SaGa games the only jRPGs that come close to that criteria?
>>
>>2932783
You can turn off random encounters early on in FFVIII and it actually makes the game easier if you do. Guess it must be a great JRPG, huh?
>>
>>2932870
FF8 has one of the best customization systems.

Story and such is hit or miss depending on who you ask, but the actual mechanics of it are by far the best in any final fantasy, outside of like 12 and 3/5 if you're into classics.
>>
>>2932870
What about games like Grandia or Persona? They seem to deal with the issue rather well.

I just guess some people need that mindless repetition.
>>
>>2932783

***WHAT YOU THINK YOU POSTED***

Objectively top tier best jRPGs?

Not most memorable but best, in following terms:

>actual exploration
>no tenaciously long spell/attack animations
>engaging with a sense of progression
>fun even today

***WHAT YOU ACTUALLY POSTED***

I don't like JRPGs.
>>
File: Faxanadu.jpg (389KB, 679x800px) Image search: [Google]
Faxanadu.jpg
389KB, 679x800px
>>2932783
Alright Bojack I'm in

>>2932807
>>2932819
We can be objective since he specified his criteria

>>2932813
You should have probably avoided the trigger word "best"

>>2932845
>>2932850
tl;dr

>>2932823
OP's allowed to ask about retro games. For fuck's sake don't just tell him to "gtfo muh genre" wth is going on on /vr/?

So anyway, OP while there ARE true jRPGs that don't have random encounters/randoms are entirely avoidable I think what you're really asking for are aRPG like Secret of Mana or Terranigma. One game that really delivers on the aRPG and jRPG fronts is the Star Ocean game on SNES (SFAMI) it's really worth a look. There are also a number of hybridy games on Playstation but most of them feel pretty experimental so you should sample a wide variety there.

Also there are "Adventure Platformers" that are pretty prevalent on 3rd and 4th gen systems and I happen to be a big fan of them. Games like Faxanadu and Zelda 2 even have a fairly deep leveling system and there's quite a few more than that. Lots if you get into Japanese exclusive games.

In conclusion, I don't think OP was trolling but our board culture is getting to a point where just having the words "objectively best" in your post will bait the fuck out of people.
>>
My favorite jRPG is probably Skies of Arcadia - the sense of exploration is amazing and the characters are great and memorable while at the same time not boring you with needlessly elaborate backstory. It has random encounters and the battle system is not terribly groundbreaking, but the ship battles are interesting mechanically at least.

If you don't like random encounters you probably don't like retro JRPGs, since almost all of them have random encounters. Grandia is a good one that doesn't have them, and I also like it a lot. It's about the easiest JRPG I've played, though, and that unfortunately turns its interesting battle system into a more repetitive grindfest where you just spam shitty spells to level up your skills asap.
>>
I hate this thread, but bojack is based.

Play the games you like, there is no "objective" best jrpg
>>
>>2932864
pretty much
>>
>>2932885
>Adventure Platformers
Those you're talking about are called ARPG.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (209KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
209KB, 1280x720px
>>2932894
There's a very thin line between something like Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night but if you want to draw it at "Do it have da XP?" then yes it's fair and reasonable to call Zelda 2 and Faxanadu ARPGs but they're also certainly more similar to Goonies 2 than to King's Field and I think OP might prefer to err on the side of "adventure" rather than "rpg" based on his statements
>>
>>2932783
Sadly, Chrono Trigger. That's really how low the standards are for JRPGs.
>>
>>2932783
Final fantasy 8, with diablos enc-none up.
>>
>>2932961
See that's what I immediately thought of because it's relatively easy and short and you can avoid randoms. Earthbound too right?

Really though I don't think that's what OP is looking for CT has some pretty long spell animations
>>
>>2932783
the only way to do an actual objective comparison is by sales

I think you mean subjective
>>
>>2932967
Earthbound kinda sucks tho
>>
>>2932845
You're making a lot of baseless conjectures without any actual proof or even coherency or example to your observations and it makes you sound stupid. Don't say things if they're not totally cogent man.
>>
Dark Law
Shadowrun (take your pick) (okay not a jRPG)
Lunar (I suppose you ran into enemies on the field in that one didn't you?)
Tactical RPGs (Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre, FFT, etc.)
Strategy RPGs (Ogre Battle, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc.)
Any Ys game
Vagrant Story
Brave Fencer Musashi
Threads of Fate
Shadow Tower
King's Field
Most SaGa series games

your criteria is shit though
>>
>>2932972
I agree with you
>>
>>2932825
>>
>>2932783
Will someone please explain to me this sudden (and by sudden I mean last 2 or 3 years) interest in people gathering "objective" opinions?

Games that I give 10, some people might give 6. Games that I give 6 may be someone else's 10. And a third party can view both as an 8. There is no objectivity when dealing with something so subjective.
>>
>>2933563
Maybe some sort of disability that makes it difficult for a person to grasp the idea of differing opinions and the fact that raw numerical ratings are still just subjective grades that only have whatever value a person assigns to them.
>>
>>2932986
Nothing about Advance Wars is an RPG fyi. It's just a board game.
>>
>>2932885
tldr
>>
>>2932783
>no random encounters
Honestly not a good thing.
>>
Dragon's Quest 6, Final Fantasy 7
>>
You should look into the soul blazer series. Start with terranigma and if you liked it, go backwards and play the other two in receeding order.
Also romancing saga is pretty good too.
>>
Most RPGs are inherently flawed in my non-objective opinion.

SMT is pretty solid.
>>
>>2932783
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Chrono Trigger

They both fit all of your points, OP.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453252050344.jpg (6KB, 145x142px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453252050344.jpg
6KB, 145x142px
>>2932885
>says tl;dr makes the longest tl;dr of the thread.
>mfw
>>
>>2933573
Are you broken?
>its a broad game.
>>
>>2932783
None of them. Delete this shit thread. JRPGs are top tier cancer.
>>
>>2934225
Not that dude, but he's somewhat right. It's really just a virtual board game.
>>
There are none, jrpgs much like anything that come from Japan are shallow garbage.
>>
>>2932783
go play dragon quest
shit's magical yo
>>
>>2934189
Panzer Dragoon Saga has random battles
>>
that's why jRPGs are a terrible genre for underaged children.
>>
>>2932906
'Dat Manowar Adol tho
>>
There is room for "objectivily" best this or that. But it's a level of discussion 4chan will never reach. Simply having a consus that something is 'good' does not make it objective, you need to have an actual philophical system that is built up to define and measure terms in an objective manner. Than if you pull this off you can measure things objectively.

The only guy to bother actually making a philosophical system around video games is icyclam though.
>>
>>2936015
>icycalm

You're him ain't ya
>>
>>2936015
>icycalm
>able to measure things objectively
Why would you listen to someone that routinely resorts to ad hominem to prove his cases?
>>
>>2932783
Phantasy Star 4. Even though it does have random encounters. But, really, what retro jRPG doesn't?
>>
>>2936015
>icyclam
Person who thinks that Far Cry 2 is the best game ever?
>>
>>2932783
The first SMT fits the bill save for the random encounter rate. But spell animations (especially with auto) are fast enough, and you can also talk your way out of battles quickly with high INT
>>
>>2936092
There's no way OP can handle the glory of 1st person dungeons
>>
>>2936057
Ones that have enemies on the field. Like Earthbound, the Romancing SaGa games, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Hybrid Heaven, and others I might not remember or haven't played.
>>
>no random encounters
>objectively good

kill yourself
>>
>>2933734
>>2934217
See there's a difference between providing an extensive answer to OPs question and sperging out about why it's a "stupid question" which I wasn't about to bother reading just to refute.

However, it comes as no surprise to me that a majority of neo-/vr/ doesn't understand that.
>>
>>2936454
Okay, what is neo-/vr/? Is it like neo-/v/? Reddit, liberal and everything else we don't like?
>>
>>2936626
As much trolling as legitimate discussion
Endless regurgitation of popular opinions on popular games
Instant offense at any offering of real insight or experience
Wilful ignorance of history
Active misrepresentation of facts

There are so many ignorant punks here now that even the oldfags often mistake one another for them and are just jumping ship more and more

As sad as it is, we probably need more tripfags but that goes against the reason I think most oldfags came here in the beginning, which was to indulge in a little immaturity just like they do with the hobby and not feel childish
>>
>>2936690
>As much trolling as legitimate discussion
>Endless regurgitation of popular opinions on popular games
>Instant offense at any offering of real insight or experience
>Wilful ignorance of history
>Active misrepresentation of facts

I hate to say it... But it sounds just like /b/
>>
>>2932850
Autism.
>>
>>2936690
there are perfectly civil and intelligent places to discuss videogames that are not 4chan

but this is 4chan, which means I can call you a cunt and a faggot which you won't be able to do at those peaceful intelligent places

pick your poison, smarty pants hipster hugbox, or you can do your dumpster diving here with other antisocial nerds too smart and too much of an asshole to fit in the box
>>
>>2938759
>too smart to fit in the box

This is the worst meme on 4chan. The average 4chan poster isn't particularly smart, or at least, they don't show it. I've had virtually no success in attempting to have nuanced discussions about social and philosophical questions on 4chan. If you want to talk to smart people, go to reddit.

Not that this is a strike against 4chan, necessarily. 4chan is where social rules are suspended and you can call someone a nigger and a faggot and that's totally cool. I think 4chan is an amazing place and it should be kept exactly the way it is. But it's not a place where smart people hang out, if the quality of discussion is any indication.
>>
>>2938675
Autism
>>
>>2932783
Any Atelier game released before whatever came after Mana Khemia.
>>
>>2938807
Mana Khemia was better than Iris.
>>
File: Digimonworld.jpg (59KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
Digimonworld.jpg
59KB, 500x495px
>>2932783

Try to believe.
>>
>>2938790
Fundamentally disagree.
>>
>>2938785
Autism.
>>
>>2932975
You're post actually made less sense than his did. Fuck off.
>>
>>2939018
>>You're
Your. Fuck.
>>
>>2932783
Wait guys, doesn't OPs criteria actually describe the best jrpg ever-- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?
>>
>>2933175
>>2932972
>>2932961

So I notice there's a lot of blatant contrarianism on /vr/ since I've been gone.
It's like it's a rule to hate what's popularly considered good retro games.

This isn't specifically saying people shouldn't hate these, but I feel quite a few posters just say they don't like such games to feel cooler.
>>
>>2932972
>>2933175
>>2939064
I'm not sure if hating Earthbound is "contrarianism". I rarely hear people say they like it unless they're very dedicated fans of the series. I tried making an Earthbound thread here a few days ago and people basically told me to fuck off.
>>
>>2938785
There are definitely smart assholes here but you are also definitely not one of them friend.
>>
>>2939018
perhaps you should consult a dictionary
>>
>>2939070
it's just fatties getting upset at the hipster boogieman because some bearded guy with too many scarves asked out the girl they liked but never talked to this one time
>>
>>2939070
That's my point. You posted the thread here, a few days ago.

Loads of people outside of /vr/ like Earthbound or at least understand that Earthbound was known to be at least pretty good.
>>
>>2939098
>because some bearded guy with too many scarves asked out the girl they liked but never talked to this one time

Is this really the /vr/ community these days?

I remember when this place generally just enjoyed and talked about old games, without looking down on others for liking certain ones.

What happened? I'd only been gone a year.
>>
>>2939110
the degenerate millenial generation is growing up and they're worse than we were and show little signs of overcoming it
>>
>>2939125
I guess every board really does eventually go to shit. I guess I was too hopeful when I thought /vr/ would be different.
>>
>>2939126
They say ignorance is bliss, but the foolish and the complacent are always destined to suffer by their own hand.

Don't worry about it, some of the kids these days are alright.
>>
>>2939153
It's a bummer, is all. Luckily there're still good threads floating around here.
>>
I'd say Morrowind, but it isn't retro nor japanese.
>>
>>2938810
>Board
This was a super fun and surprisingly ambitious game. Glad I bought it as a kid, got a lot of hours out of it ~10 years later
>>
>>2932783
FFV hits every single mark on the nose except for the random encounters, but even then the encounter rate isn't overwhelming.
>>
>>2932783
king's field
>>
>>2939715
God, I went super fucking hard in the paint training as a kid to get a Greymon, but I always got Meramon or something. It wasn't until I looked up some more modern guides online that I realized overshooting it was counterproductive.
>>
File: shadow3.png (16KB, 256x220px) Image search: [Google]
shadow3.png
16KB, 256x220px
>>
File: AngiPaulyterrabrandfordKKGLARGE.jpg (662KB, 1000x764px) Image search: [Google]
AngiPaulyterrabrandfordKKGLARGE.jpg
662KB, 1000x764px
>>
>>2932818
Not /vr/ except mother 1 and 2
This is /vr/ after all. Let's keep it topical.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.