[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Price Inflation: The Redux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (105KB, 750x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 750x1080px
When will it end, /vr/?
>>
>>2930848
Put your copy up for $100 to drive the market down, send me the link
>>
>>2930854
My copy is in the mail and should be arriving sometime today or tomorrow. I think I'll let some other kind /vr/ poster perform the generous act of charity you suggested.
>>
>>2930848

Whenever people get bored of it. There's no reason to not just pirate every thing though, unless you also collect.
>>
>>2930858
Well then you answered your own retarded question, go back to /r/FeelTheBern now
>>
With this sort of thing, probably never. At least, not for the lifetime of the people who collect it. You're already dealing with unreasonable people paying hundreds of dollars for a compact disc.
>>
>>2930862
I was under the impression that Saturn was one of the few systems where it's actually worth owning the original games, because Saturn emulation is still pretty crappy. People often report freezes when emulating PDS, for example. You can still finish the game so it's almost certainly not worth the price tag, but it is an annoyance that owning the game lets you bypass.
>>
>>2930871

>There's no reason to not just pirate every thing though

I never mentioned emulation.
>>
>>2930869
Uhhh, it's actually four compact discs and a manual and a jewel case. :^)
>>
They couldn't give this shit away back in the day. I picked up Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, and a few other Working Designs games for $20 a pop when Sega pulled the plug on the Saturn. No way is Saga worth $500+ and that pile of dog shit Burning Rangers worth $200+.
>>
>>2930967
>No way is Saga worth $500

The market says otherwise buddy. Not only is it somewhat rare (not too many copies were made), but it gets amazing reviews. Sometimes retro collectors will ask if there are any expensive games that actually deserve their price tag, and PDS is always one of the answers given (granted, most of those people probably paid around $300 for it, maybe they would answer differently at $500...)
>>
>>2930993

Prices are up because all of a sudden Saturn is trendy, just like PC Engine. Saga is for sure a good game, and I wouldn't sell my copy, but I am sorry it isn't $500 good.
>>
File: 1436710542220.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436710542220.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>2930848
Hopefully never.
>>
>>2930967
Look at this dumb hipster hating SEGA games.

I only ever saw 1 copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga new in a store. Most stores didn't even have it. And I lived in the tristate area.
>>
>read up about a fairly realistic SNES airport management game after seeing it on ebay
>its Japanese version
>"Oh, I cannot speak Japanese, better check for English versions"
>English versions are £20-30+
>Japanese version is like £8 (~$10-15)

The fuck
>>
File: 1433950630737.gif (898KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1433950630737.gif
898KB, 480x360px
>>2931661
Keep in mind that used games are far more common in Japan than elsewhere because they had some law preventing people from renting them so people would buy and sell their games more often.
>>
>>2931682
I guess so. Still is ridiculous due to how niche the game is. You'd think no-one would buy it and that'd push down prices.
>>
>>2931687
No because the ones who bought the game for MSRP realized how great of a game it was and with such few copies (30,000??) Everyone wants to play it once they realized they missed out on something great.

Lack of product leaves a massive crowd yearning to play with no outlet since even 10 years ago Saturn emulation was shit.

This way only fancy pants collectors who actually take care of there shit can pass it around for high dollar instead of some nigger picking it up at trade-it for $4 with Madden 95.

At least there is some incentive to keep these games in a manageable condition for 30+ years. Either shell out the cabbage, deal with inaccurate emulation, watch a neckbeard on YouTube play through it, or shut the fuck up and pick up a new hobby.
>>
>>2931721
I guess. I hope I can roughly understand it. The game's English title is Aerobiz Supersonic btw.
>>
>>2931687
That's usually not the case with niche games. The problem with those stems from the fact that because they're niche means they sold like shit at release so now there's hardly any copies up for sale and because it's something hardly explored people who are into that niche pretty much have only that and a few other games to pick from causing the price to fly up due to a small but very present demand.
>>
I might catch shit for this here but paying $500 for a video game is absolutely fucking retarded.
>>
>>2930871
>what are modchips and CD-Rs
>>
>>2931810
No, you're absolutely right. The most I'll ever pay for a used game is like 40 bucks, and that's pushing it.
>>
>>2931810
Nostalgia and history man.
>>
>>2931810
Yours is the majority opinion here.

I've dropped some big bucks on expensive retro games before and honestly there's not much of a rational explanation for it. If I want to play on the original hardware, I can just get a flash cart (or a modchip in the case of systems like the Saturn). Basically it comes down to, I make decent money, so if I can spend a couple hundred bucks to make people go "wow, that's a really cool game you have!" then that's worth it to me.
>>
>>2930871
Saturn emulation is still pretty crappy
Still shit because the ssf is not open source, turning more dificult to get any improvements.
>>
>>2931838
I blame the fucking hipsters with the vintage bullshit
>>
>>2931810

It really fucking is.

I want the game for my Saturn library, but fucking kek ain't ever paying that much. I'd pay 100 though.
>>
>>2931927
>kek

Not for you, kiddo.
>>
>>2930848
when perfect forgeries become profitable, I suspect.
>>
>>2931892
The thing with these hipsters and collectors is that most of them, I'm willing to bet, don't even play and enjoy the games. They sit on a shelf collecting dust for the rest of their days.
>>
>>2930848
>want to buy skies of arcadia
>it's $60
>check back about two weeks later and it's almost $80

how does this even happen? it's happening all across the board for everything below gen 7. I have a very strong feeling it will happen for a certain console from this generation in the near future, too
>>
>>2932000
like James that angry guy
>>
>>2931810
I draw the line once it goes for more than a new game today. Unless it's something like Steel Battalion I don't see how the hell I could justify dropping so much money on one game.
>>
>>2932003
the PS4?
>>
>>2932000
That's not true. There are definitely collectors who own a huge number of games they've never or rarely played, probably expensive ones too, but I always make it a point to play any expensive purchase right away.

Also it's the fate of almost every physical game to collect dust on a shelf. If you're like me and you've been gaming your whole life, then you have hundreds of games just from building up normal purchases over the years. I can't play all of them all the time.
>>
>>2932010
The Wii U, silly.

People are already stocking up on Devil's Third, hoping it becomes the next $1,000+ collector's item.
>>
>>2932010
no. I believe the Wii U is the dreamcast of our times, and its games will only go up in price from here on out. it's already happened with bayonetta and pikmin.

it's a great console with great games but poor marketing and limited releases. the perfect recipe for future inflation.

the PS4 and the Xbox One games, with few exceptions, will only be going down in price imo, especially with all those PC ports.

I know this isnt retro but the it's happening with that market too
>>
>>2932020
Jesus, Pikmin 3 is already up to $80. That's insane.
>>
>>2932013
I do have a decent amount of games, but its only games i like. I don't collect for the sake of collecting. Only stuff that interests me really. And they do get played very often.
>>
With all this being said in the thread, for all you know all these games can be worth nothing in lets say 15 years from now. NES games can become worthless. And something like ps4 games are going for thousands. You never know how these things work. A 100$ video game today can be 5$ in the future.
>>
>>2932032
Name one time that happened
>>
>>2932036
Atari games, champ.

They were very pricey pre internet/ebay. They did drop to nothing before ebay though.
>>
>>2932036
CDs can rot away, mang.
>>
>>2932032
Sure, they could be worthless, but they could also not be. We can try and base our predictions on the available data. Genuinely rare games like Stadium Events are not likely to crash in value, unless everyone stops collecting games, which is unlikely. Some people have theorized that 8th gen games aren't likely to spike in price even in the far future because of how widespread digital distribution is now, but it's impossible to know for sure.

None of it's relevant to me anyway because I don't intend on ever selling anything in my collection.
>>
>>2932036
I've noticed price drop on n64 games in the past couple years.
>>
>>2931931

I'm probably older than you, edgelord.
>>
>>2932041
>Atari games

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/atari-2600/air-raid

Granted, most games for the system are dirt cheap. But there are some outliers, to put it mildly.
>>
File: bugsdrunk.jpg (72KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
bugsdrunk.jpg
72KB, 720x540px
>tfw don't have extra money to spend on plastic carts, but also watching as prices continue to escalate

Pay 40 bucks now or 80 bucks tomorrow. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>2932036

most comic books dropped in value incredibly once ebay took over.
>>
>>2932054
Read what I said you dumb kid.

Before the internet atari games were a lot of money. In the 90s.
>>
>trying to trade stuff on craigslist
>everyone grossly over values their trade stuff while undervaluing my trade stuff

You know, it really sucks because the whole idea of a trade is to be mutually beneficial. Both parties get something they want out of the deal.

All my trades are breaking down because stuff that is actually very close value (+/- 5 bucks according to ebay) is being grossly estimated by the potential trading partner. I'm trying to go direct swap but they all want extra stuff.

Makes me so mad. I'm more then willing to deal but these people just think they have gold.
>>
>>2932074
You're probably offering shit trades.

I had a Snatcher on craigslist and got nothing but the most common shit games for trade offers..
>>
>>2932079
I'm not offering shit like Barbie's Horse Adventure.

All the games I have are valued at are 40-60 bucks, looking for other games in that range mostly.

I have fucking lists of stuff I'm willing to take. But when I have a mint copy of something and someone offers me a game that's cheaper then what I have AND has the label torn to shit then it feels like a complete waste of time to even post the stuff.
>>
>>2932056
JUST
>>
Why is everyone here so adamant about handing their shekels over to a reseller? Why wont you just get a flashcart?
>>
>>2932116

Personally, I like owning the actual game.

That said, I own a flashcart and have burned discs of games like Panzer Dragoon Saga because 500 dollars is absolutely insane.
>>
As much as complaining about prices is shitty, this is at least better than the seven "Recommend me good games for X console" threads we currently have going.
>>
>>2932116
>8th generation fags wont be just as bad as these currentfags who absolutely must own useless pieces of plastic
>>
>>2932116
I have flashcarts, but I also just like having the actual game in my hand. It's purely sentimental.

But at the end of the day, you're right. Because of flashcarts, I DO have the option of quitting and refusing to go for ridiculous prices, which is what I have to do more often than not. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm disappointed that things are the way they are
>>
>>2932148

>"I'm better than you because of X: the post"

Don't you have better things to be doing other than being bitter?
>>
>>2932127
I've always loved the sort of longboxes that SCD/Saturn/PS1 games came in since I was a kid, so I bought up loads of the things for individually reasonable prices.

I don't recommend anyone actually get into retro collecting at this point though. Buy the real consoles for reasonable prices then use a flash cart and/or burned discs. Buy actual games only for reasonable prices. Some good games on various systems are still priced acceptably. Avoid meme games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Keio Flying Squadron.
>>
>>2932161
If it wasn't for the fact those big usa saturn cases break so easily. The jap releases are better for using standard jewel cases.
>>
File: Ghetto 360.png (182KB, 332x395px) Image search: [Google]
Ghetto 360.png
182KB, 332x395px
>>2930848
Never
>>
>>2932161
PDS isn't a meme game though, it's actually great. If you just mean, don't pay meme prices for it, then that's more reasonable.
>>
>>2931728
You're bitching about basically paying MSRP on a retro game you want to play? Just pony up or emulate man.
>>
>>2932036
Not true, I bought lots of Atari games from email lists and small game shops in the pre-eBay era and they were still dirt cheap.
>>
>>2931827
>The most I'll ever pay for a used game is like 40 bucks
That's basically limit. I have paid a little more at times, but anything over $40 and I feel dirty, but really good games like Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star still feel like they're worth the money.

>>2931882
>so if I can spend a couple hundred bucks to make people go "wow, that's a really cool game you have!"
That's ridiculous. What kind of human being is ever legitimately impressed by someone owning a 20-year-old piece of retail software?

>>2932000
This is why my collection is super-focused. I only own my absolute favorite games for every system. Most of them I already own from when they were originally released. I don't feel the need to have a massive library that takes up multiple shelving units when I'm only really going to play and enjoy a small fraction of it. If I ever feel the need to play random shit games, I can just shell out for an Everdrive cart or whatever.

>>2932003
I saw Skies of Arcadia for $65 bucks while I was game-hunting last weekend. I did a double take, because I bought a mint copy just a few years ago for $20.
>>
>>2932005
With such a prodigious retro collection, and living his dream of making a movie where his wife is cucked nasty git, how can one man be so perturbed?
>>
File: 1452411746877.gif (479KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452411746877.gif
479KB, 450x400px
>people who aren't collectors complaining about prices

JUST GET FLASHCARTS AND LEARN HOW TO BURN CDs HOLY FUCK
>>
>>2930848
IDK, but I'm committed to just buying jap copies for the time being. Like, I'm gonna just get the PSP versions of the Rockman Dash games, rather than go into dept buying the US PSX versions. I mean, yeah, I won't understand WTF they're saying, but I don't really play Megaman games for the plot. OR any Capcom games, for that matter.

I'm also going with cheaper ports in general, like I got Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles for $12 so I can play SOTN, rather than pay $45 for SOTN on PSX.
Granted, it's not 100% the EXACT same game, but I'm not OCD enough to care.

And then there's my main resource. There's a used game store in a town near me, where there's TONS of retro shit, but no local interest. Locals all deal mainly in Xbone and PS4 stuff, and mainly just trade in their old shit to get bank.
Combine that with the fact that the guy running the place just wants to clear out space, and I've got a pretty good thing going.

I got a copy of Dino Crisis for $3, and I just got the PSX version of Doom for free.
And yeah, he' got the usual prices on things like FFVII and any other AAA games (on ALL platforms), but I don't go there for those. I hit up eBay and Craigslist for those. So it's all good.

Any collector, or just enthusiast should honestly have systems in place to shop around. Spent a few days looking, and you'll get great prices.

Personally, I have a list of games, with prices written next to them. Those are the prices I'm willing to pay. It's not strict, and it in no way represents market prices, but it keeps me on curse most of the time. And many times, I do my list one better and get games for cheaper than I have them valued.

Just be willing to buy rereleases or ports and do some shopping before you come here and cry.

And if you're just a collector, and only want games to look nice on your shelf, then you deserve to play collector prices. Simple as that.
>>
>>2931682
>they had some law preventing people from renting
Weird. Although renting is the reason I don't own a lot of games. Also because I was the only kid out of three who liked video games in my family, and that shit was expensive. I basically only got a few games each year, one on my birthday and maybe two for Christmas. There were a lot of games I played by renting and borrowing.

Of course, now that I'm trying to fill those gaps in my collection, it's pretty costly. I wish I had the foresight to hunt these games down years ago. I remember going to flea markets with my grandpa 15 years back, and vendors were stock full of SNES, Genesis, PS1 and even some N64 games that were still new in box. All I can remember buying is a mint copy of StarFox. Now all the flea markets I go to might have multiple dedicated retro game stalls, but they're only selling the reject games that they likely fished out of a dumpster behind an Electronics Boutique 10 years ago. People who have good retro games are holding onto them now.
>>
>>2931827

My rule of thumb is never pay more than it was new.

Even after that, never pay alot for a common title if you yardsale and game hunt enough you'll come across like Legend of Zelda titles.
>>
>>2930967
Saga has been worth over $400 since the early 2000's. OP picked a really shitty game to use as reference for this. instead of some stupid shit like Earthbound which sells for 4x what it's worth.

PDS was a legitimate chore to track down when it was new (speaking from experience), it's legitimately rare.
>>
>>2932996
>4x what it's worth
you should read an econ book
>>
>>2932859
is that the fucking maxx
>>
I don't like spending more than like $15 on a game. For consoles that I don't have preexisting collections of games from my childhood, I'll just straight-up buy a flashcart/modchip along with the console and call it a day. I don't own a single saturn or dreamcast game, and I only own a few super famicom games (basically just the ones that aren't compatible with everdrive, also super metroid because I fucking love that game)

Only time I'll spend more than that is if it's a really good game I'm burning to own. So for my genesis, that was games like hard corps, thunder force 4, and gunstar heroes. And even then, I got those for like 20-30 each and they've like doubled in the past year. I usually like buying genesis games but I'm about to just get an everdrive anyway
>>
>>2932996
That doesn't sound right. You can find forum threads from like 2 or 3 years ago where people were talking about the game being worth $350. And every sale in the last month has been $400+, and then you had the one in the OP PoC. Seems like a pretty big price jump to me.
>>
I gave up and sold off my collection years ago. Collecting has become a rich mans game and its no longer fun. Just emulate and get flash carts.
>>
>>2933973
You can still get a lot of great classic games for less than double the price of a new game (sometimes much less).

All of the most expensive games are obscure mediocre games that aren't worth playing anyway.
>>
>>2933070
Wow, I can't believe that my iPhone autocorrected pic to PoC.
>>
File: anime7a.jpg (19KB, 354x235px) Image search: [Google]
anime7a.jpg
19KB, 354x235px
As someone that actually owns the game I would buy it again at the current craziness of $350-$500. It's by far the best RPG out there in my opinion. At the very least it's top 5 best of all time.

Now the shooters like Zwei are pushing it. Great games but far too common. Orta was meh but that game is well under $20. More for eye candy than anything else.
>>
>>2934010
Orta has an enhanced port of Panzer Dragoon in it, so it has that going for it.
>>
>>2934025
And also works on a backwards compatible 360 which upscales the graphics.
>>
>>2932003
Skies has always been exspensive. I remember trying to pick up a copy in 2007 and it was going for $40 even though. Ive never seen that game in the wild. Dreamcast a bunch but not the gamecube version.
>>
Who else /buying up all the games you want that are under 20 bucks while they're still cheap/ here?
>>
>>2934010
Woah woah woah Panzer Dragoon Zwei is the best game of the 5th generation you gigantic faggot
>>
>>2930848
>The Redouche
Price inflation will end when the fed stops printing money and releases some of the secret cache of PDS, EB, etc games they stored in a secret underground bunker.
Or when kids stop wanting to play with their daddys toys
>>
>>2933070
No, you cant, the one archive we had kroac
>>
>>2934145
That can be your opinion. Still not a rare game.
>>
>>2934281
No anon, the world itself is objectively wrong here. My opinion is not an opinion, it is a fact, like the word of god. (whose work is also inferior to my judgement)
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.