[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/crt/ thread: go fast edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 510
Thread images: 73

File: PicsArt_1434671802487.jpg (3MB, 3861x2172px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_1434671802487.jpg
3MB, 3861x2172px
Previous thread - >>2899049

This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933>>2899049
>>
Still wondering what setting would I look for in the service menu of a PVM to lower the intensity of the blue? I notice there's some bleeding going on.
>>
I have a question about CRT's wearing out, and how to tell what the problem is.

I have a Smile KFC CA-2011 PC CRT rebadged by Viewmaster, and I'd like help determining if the capacitors are failing. It's not anywhere near bright enough unless I set the termination to high - and then it gets blurry from signal reflection along with the fact it's still not very bright.

However, if I displayed any one quarter of the screen white, that quarter can get nice and bright. But if i then changed the whole screen to that same white, it only stays bright for an instant and then fades to being much dimmer overall. So some parts of an image can be bright, but when the whole screen is meant to be bright, the overall brightness fades within half a second or so. Or doesn't fade; just never gets very bright, if no part of the preceding image was bright.

Does this mean the capacitors are wearing out? Given the phosphors are capable of being bright as long as the whole screen isn't, i'd say they're ok. And given the monitor is in perfect focus with the termination set to 75R, i presume the Flyback is in reasonable condition. The only thing left is the fading effect.

I've actually pulled it apart and kinda begun cleaning it and removing the caps, so i hope they're the problem!

Feedback appreciated; i'd love to know if there are certain caps it's not worth replacing, etc.

Photos to follow completion of the project :)
>>
>>2929086
Ah, ok then.
>>
>>2929358
>However, if I displayed any one quarter of the screen white, that quarter can get nice and bright. But if i then changed the whole screen to that same white, it only stays bright for an instant and then fades to being much dimmer overall.
Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps that could be the result of some type of over voltage protection? A full brightness, white screen needs the most power to actually display, and the fact that it suddenly dims when you try to do that, it could be some sort of protection circuit kicking in.

>>2929353
Blue Bias/Gain, I would assume. I have still yet to poke around at the service menu of mine, this is just based off of a glance at an M2/M4 manual.
>>
>>2929562
Yeah, but how do i identify that? Gonna be a pain in the ass for sure.
>>
>>2929604
oh, and thx for trying to help :) I'm aware that BVM's have detection circuitry that will let you know what you're pumping what the set thinks is too bright an image through.

Hmm, might be time to go over the chassis and see if there's anything to be found.
>>
>>2929609
>>2929562
Hmmm, the brightness setting, for a white image, scales up from really dim at zero to still bad but brighter at just under halfway. Sliding the brightness higher from that point does nothing. It would seem weird to include a circuit on a monitor that cut the brightness due to overvolting without giving the user a choice? Why not just limit the brightness range to the lower 50% to begin with?

Does that make sense?
>>
I have an old Grundig in the attic?

Is this an okay brand? I found in on the street years ago and I put it up there for God knows what reason.
>>
File: 1388903480297.jpg (277KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1388903480297.jpg
277KB, 900x1200px
>>
>>2929681
Why is this being reposted? Also is there any point to PS3 on a CRT?
>>
>>2929204
Thank god we finally got a CRT thread without a pic of weeb game shit.
>>
>>2929707
Some men ask why. Others ask, "why not?"
>>
>>2929707
From what I can tell PS3 can't out put 240p, but the PS2 can.

On the same topic, is there a list of 240p compatible Virtual Console games?

I have a JVC PVM that can output 480i through to 720p
Will it suffer from lag and upscaling if I just use it for DC and PS2 games via s-vid, which I believe natively output either 480i or 480p for selected titles?
>>
>>2929842
>trading weebshit for autism
>improvement
>>
>>2929562
Hmm alright

Another question is my model 1 HD Sega Genesis seems to be washed out as far as the color on this PVM. Any idea why? Its going though composite.
>>
>>2929842
I just go with what gets requested. Someone asked for cute "moe" stuff and I did what I could to comply.

Battletoads was 4 threads ago, which wasn't that long of a time ago, and there was Bomberman not long before that.

>>2929848
The monitor shouldn't be doing any type of scaling, so if you feed it 480i, it'll display 480i.
Also, S-Video is limited to 480i(or 240p). You'll need a VGA box/cable for the DC and either component cables or a way to deliver RGsB from the PS2 for 480p on either.

>>2929896
Composite output on the Genesis is quite bad, particularly on early models. Before you start thinking there might be a something amiss, test it with RGB.
>>
>>2929914
Well, its weird because it was fine on another TV.

And yeah, I don't have the cash right now to invest in cables so I'm running off composite for the time being. I have it hooked though a pair of Y RCA connectors with my PS2 though an RCA switch. Might try and test it without those splinters.
>>
>>2929848
Your monitor won't lag on anything
>>
>>2929919
That's always a good idea. Remove as many variables as possible when you're troubleshooting something and if it goes away, slowly add them back in one by one until you recreate it.
>>
>>2929936
>>2929914
Thanks for the feedback re: JVC.
It sadly only had SDI and s-vid input cards, no rgb.
Rgb cards cost a fortune and rgb to SDI is just as bad
>>
>>2929681
are you in alaska? this is the only place I've seen saggy roof mobile homes with wood heat.
>>
>>2929670
don't expect any replies for consumer grade hardware in this elitist circlejerk, sure it wll play games but looks old enough that it may be lacking even a composite input. stick to models that have a s-video input. models with a component input tend to have the best picture.
>>
>>2930043
People respond to consumer stuff all the time in here. You just have to consider that Grundig is a European brand and that you're not likely to get many replies when it's the middle of the night in Europe.
Or at least that why I didn't way anything.
>>
>>2929842
>>2929914
I feel like it's either me or kya that makes them.

Bomberman, battletoads and this sonic were me. I think I used the sonic pic before but I didn't have anything new on my phone.

Next time I'll post weeb shit to piss you off though.
>>
>>2930043
Or maybe it's the fact that the guy has a german TV that most of us are completely unfamiliar with.

I've only known trinitrons since I was a kid. I have no experience in anything else.

And as far as it being elitist, you can go ahead and check the survey; PVM users only make up a fraction
>>
>>2929949
note that there are panasonic clones of those jvc monitors and as such you may find the equivalent card under the panasonic brand, BT-YA702P
right now it's about as expensive as the JVC one, but keep look periodcaly look for both and one or the other might pop up at a reasonable price.
>>
>>2929670
Could we get maybe a model number or a picture of the inputs? Do you live in Europe, if not how will you compensate for the different voltage?
>>
>>2930043
Do you even lurk on here? Peeps are constantly asking about consumer CRT's. Maybe you just notice more of the PVM stuff because of the bigger explanations they garner
>>
>>2930336
>Next time I'll post weeb shit to piss you off though.
Appreciated.

Actually, I find myself coming to these threads less and less now that I actually found a good CRT. I just used to come here for advice and hunting tips.
>>
I've got a BVM-14F5U coming in tomorrow, and the manual states that I should have 75-ohm terminators on the out connectors, is this 100% necessary or can I go a couple days without doing so?
>>
>>2930581
the picture will be bright and shitty without them. they're cheap. hell, you could just stick a 75ohm resistor in the bnc input and wrap it around the grounded bnc jacket.
>>
>>2930604
I ordered some but they won't be in for a couple days. I was just wondering whether or not I should wait it out or not.
>>
>>2930605
if you have a PVM as well, you could always output to that, since it auto-terminates.

a guy posted pics of term'd and unterm'd in the last thread, check it out.
>>
what pvm or bvm should I look for? I think 14 inches is good enough for me
>>
>>2930691
check your local craigslist, make sure they at least have RGB inputs.
>>
>>2930661
>if you have a PVM as well, you could always output to that, since it auto-terminates.
>if you have a completely different monitor, just use that instead of waiting for cheap-ass resistors
The fuck is wrong with some of you people? Do you even think before you fucking type? God damn.

>>2930691
Depends what systems you're going to hook up to it. Are you interested in RGB? If not, I wouldn't bother with a PVM, but you'll always have the option at least. Hunt around for a 14L5 if you want to play anything in 480P. Otherwise any other model will do as long as it's in good shape.
>>
File: hyrulefaceshiggy.png (436KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
hyrulefaceshiggy.png
436KB, 1280x960px
>>2930710
>The fuck is wrong with some of you people? Do you even think before you fucking type? God damn.
in case you haven't noticed, this is /crt/, where all of us autists typically have a number of monitors. to daisy chain from BMV->PVM would terminate the video signals.

it was absolutely a valid reply, go fuck yourself.
>>
Hello there CRT friends, I kinda need your help. I may even posted some pic a long time ago but now my 14" TV which I had since childhood is in the sheer need of assistance. I won't ask how repair it myself, just if it's an easy fix and some tech details I could tell the guy in charge of fixing it.

I live in a PAL territory, so naturally my set is equipped with a SCART input. What I think happened, the SCART plug I was using was SO heavy it brought down some mechanical components inside the slot which are interfering with normal behaviors.

What I got most of the time, was what you could call a forced RGB rainbow all over the screen which changes in intensity according to what video the TV is fed. After tons of trying to adjust the scart input, I just slammed my hand over the TV and voila, she came back to life, but not quite so.

Apparently now the default vertical stretch (I think it's called amplitude) has gotten crampier, but the thing is I couldn't even touch the thing without the amplitude going crazy (sometimes the whole video signal was teared down into a pair of inches, I couldn't even see scan lines anymore).

Now even when I get lucky and it stabilizes, it gets worse because it even pans the whole screen up and down (until half of the lower screen is gone beyond overscan) while maintaining the same amplitude. Even the TV's own sounds create small enough vibrations to fuck something up eventually.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/fwkwaas658o2zb2/Video0024.mp4

This is a potato recording from a while ago, look how much jumpy the output has become (I'm using composite, I fear ever trying RGB again). Every instance of touching the casing results in the signal going nuts (on 0:35 I just pick it so it comes stable, but then I repeatedly slam my hand above it so I can show you the aforementioned RGB rainbow effect at 0:45).

So /crt/, what's your verdict? Can I still restore the amplitude to its factory settings and make sure the output is stable?
>>
File: 1451770259508.jpg (117KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1451770259508.jpg
117KB, 1252x1252px
So just how bad are HDCRTs for retro gaming? I wanted one so I could have an all-in-one solution for retro, 6th gen and the little bit of HD shit I care about.
>>
>>2930898
Exactly as bad as an LCD
>>
File: fo_splash.gif (32KB, 607x426px) Image search: [Google]
fo_splash.gif
32KB, 607x426px
>>2930898
You're going to get a lot of opinions so just test one out
>>
>>2930890
Broken solder joints at the SCART port but possibly more, I think that resoldering everything that looks crappy will help very much.
>What I got most of the time, was what you could call a forced RGB rainbow all over the screen which changes in intensity according to what video the TV is fed
That looked like the CRT lost it's focus voltage.
It's very likely that the solder joint of the wire is broken, it goes from the flyback transformer to the neck board and supplies the CRT with around 7kV. If you're unlucky then it falls off and short something that will fuck up the entire chassis.
>Apparently now the default vertical stretch (I think it's called amplitude) has gotten crampier, but the thing is I couldn't even touch the thing without the amplitude going crazy (sometimes the whole video signal was teared down into a pair of inches, I couldn't even see scan lines anymore).
That set might have a trimmer (variable) resistor which defines the vertical size, also a dead capacitor could cause that too.

Good luck, anon. This whole thing looks very fixable to me.
>>
are any pal snes games fullscreen?
>>
>>2930898
Assuming you mean PC monitor CRTs, they are objectively the best display. Use with sharp-bilinear shader to get nice clear pixels with no ugly scanlines.
>>
>>2930920
It's impossible to output more than 239 lines of video with any SNES but there are PAL N64 games that are fullscreen like Zelda: Ocarina of time.
>>
File: 23042014868.jpg (216KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
23042014868.jpg
216KB, 1600x1200px
>>2930917
Thank you, thank you very much. I mean it. You have given me hope, here's a close up from when the TV looked good.

>>2930920
No PAL game can really get fullscreen because most PAL TV's overscan starts around line 512 (256p), and SNES can only render up to 239p without hassling the borders. The first game that reaches 239p that I can think of is SMW.
>>
>>2930917
Another thing: right now the TV started randomly humming what I believe is the 15KHz sinusoidal wave. It was really audible (although the volume was very low) but it seemed to go away when I started pushing the power button. Not even outright pressing it, just pushing it slightly. Is this bad?
>>
>>2931021
>Not even outright pressing it, just pushing it slightly. Is this bad?
I don't think so
Maybe the switch needs to be replaced, good luck finding something compatible.
>>
>>2930364
Thanks! That's great to know.
I almost regret buying it, its a great monitor but only having composite, s-vid and SDI makes it limited usage.
I was told I can get rgb to SDI converters relatively cheap, but all the ones I see are hundreds and hundreds.

If nothing else it'll be nice for 480i games!
:o)
>>
>>2931057
How can the switch be involved in producing such noise? Thanks for all you've done anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_131437.jpg (834KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_131437.jpg
834KB, 3264x2448px
New pickup, how'd I do?
>>
File: IMG_20160120_131504.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_131504.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2931128
And the back
>>
>>2931131
Newfag here, what am I even looking at? Are you going to use the rack mounts when you set this up?
>>
>>2931067
don't, it looks like a great monitor, even if only using it with s-video at best for now. If you ever part ways, be sure that the person that gets it knows how good and for what usages it is.

Any chance of taking pics of it running games ?
>>
>>2931147
It's a Sony BVM 14-F5U, just picked it up from a liquidation store (purchased through eBay). The important thing is that it accepts RGB inputs, as you can see from the back. Now I just need to get my SNES cables for RGB output.
>>
File: IMAG0359.jpg (899KB, 2048x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0359.jpg
899KB, 2048x1520px
>>2931234
How many hours on it?
>>
>>2931242
I'm back at work now, so I'll have to wait until I get home to see.
>>
>>2931242
i know you're proud of your incredibly crazy find, but it's a big bummer to us that have BVMs with 50k+ hours.

super jealous
>>
>>2931128
>>2931131
>>2931242
How much?
>>
>>2931340
I paid about $120, but like I said I haven't checked the hours yet
>>
>>2931338
Might only have 50k on the chassis, but the tube has been replaced. I want to say the tubes would have been replaced every 30k or so in professional use?
>>
>>2931338
Hehe sorry. I knew it was in fine shape from the pics but got a BIG surprise when it turned up and I took a peek at the status page...

>>2931340
Paid £100 but a combination of poor packaging and UPS meant the bezel got pretty badly smashed up on its way to me. Whipped a good one off my beater F1 and it was pretty much good as new. Seller refunded half too so I'm happy with that.
>>
>>2929358
>>2929562
>>2929642
Bamping. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>2930747
>>2930710
>>2930661
autist who was asking about termination here, I actually do have another PVM (it's half broken doesn't deguass and the screen is damaged, which is why I'm getting this BVM), so their response was totally valid, but I don't have cables to daisychain them so I'm kinda boned, I'll have to wait until my Cheap-Ass Resistors arrive.

Anyway, I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-Euro-SCART-to-4-BNC-Audio-Cable-Sony-PVM-Sega-Genesis-SNES-Neo-Geo-/201493707446 for my SCART connections. It states it has RGB + Composite Sync, is there a difference between "Composite Sync" and "CSYNC"?
For instance: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-playstation-1-2-ps1-ps2-rgb-scart-cable-lead?tracking=5543fb4c077bb
These cables offer 'composite video + sync' or 'CSYNC' for an additional cost, is there any real difference in these cables in my instance?
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 750x420px
I'm looking to buy these SCART cables for my Sony PVM 14-M2U monitor.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201493707446

I noticed the eBay seller, wookieewin, had the same cable only with a built in sync stripper.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191766429870

Does it matter which cable I purchase? Like I said, I have a Sony PVM 14-M2U if that helps.
>>
>>2930927
I doubt he means monitors. It's more likely he's asking about crt's like the hi-scan trinitrons, Xbr models
>>
>>2931131
That's one fine ass
>>
>>2931345
I like this kind of thinking because I have a monitor with 35k hours
>>
File: component transcoder.png (192KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
component transcoder.png
192KB, 500x374px
So I just got one of these bitches here, and all I can say is I'm fucking amazed by the step up in quality I've achieved over my genesis's shitty composite cables

Only problem is it doesn't have a built-in pass-through for sound. Not a problem for the genesis, since I pull audio from the headphone jack anyway, but I can't get sound from my other consoles. without an adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/kenable-THROUGH-Adapter-Phonos-Switch/dp/B0055P2JFY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1453339705&sr=8-14&keywords=scart+audio
I bought this piece of shit, but it's trash and has an incredibly fragile and loose connection. Anyone know where I can get a decent scart cable/adapter with break-out RCA audio? There are similar-looking ones on amazon, but now I'm not sure if they're all just as bad.

Also, why is this wookiee guy the only person in america that's selling SCART-BNC cables? His prices seem like a ripoff compared to retrogamingcables.co.uk
>>
>>2931740
Here's the audio breakout you should buy. http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161612341108
>>
>>2931752
Oh sweet, didn't know her store was back up. Thanks.
>>
>>2931159
Definitely will take pics of both running games, in just waiting on cables for the JVC to run ps2. Will run vc on Wii on 240p on the Sony Trinitron via component cables this weekend hopefully.

On that note, will the standard component cables for Wii work on pvm? Or does it need a sync cable and or scart first?
>>
File: 100_6102.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
100_6102.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>2932273
If the monitor accepts YPbPr Component, they'll work.
I'm going to assume you're talking about the M2A that you got along with the JVC, so yes. You just need to make sure you go into the menu(normal menu) and set that input to Comp-INT.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_222719.jpg (975KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_222719.jpg
975KB, 3264x2448px
Should I be concern
>>
>>2932289
It's a broadcast monitor, they all have a shitton of hours on them.
>>
>>2931131
wait a minute is this the one the guy posted as a PVM NOT A BVM??? I think I saw this one.
>>
>>2932294
Depends, was the seller based in Anaheim?
>>
>>2932283
OK I'll look at that on the weekend. This week has been so flat out I haven't been able to even look at them, can't wait to start fiddling.
I think I'll get last blade 2 and metal slug to try 240p mode
>>
>>2932313
well all I recall were someone selling a BVM posted as a PVM, I saw the price thought it was a little steep for a P so I was just looking at it and noticed the sticker on the back definately said BVM not PVM and thought " hmmm... might be a good deal if it's not bullshit" but I already have a really good PVM so whatevvs.
>>
>>2929939
>>2929919
Well, I tired without the Y splinters and it still looks washed out.

Very confusing considering it looked fine on my consumer TV.
>>
>>2932362
Wait, I thought they both meant the same thing? Or do you mean pvm being specific to Sony Trinitron branded?
>>
>>2932383
Hmm.

Does this only happen with the Genesis, or anything over composite. If there's a Chroma knob on the front(or a setting in the menu for the slightly newer PVMs), try turning it up. Chroma not being set right can lead to things looking unsaturated to just straight up B/W.
>>
>>2932405
No, it doesn't happen with any other systems over composite. The chroma looks fine and is fine for other systems.

Just the Genesis.
>>
Any tips or recommendations for 15kHz/31kHz multisync monitors? I'd like to get one so I don't have to have a computer monitor and regular TV next to the Dreamcast and switch between them since not all games support the 480p mode.
Are there any brands/models that can be recommended or should be avoided?
>>
>>2932362
That's actually pretty funny because that's probably the seller I just got the same BVM model from. Noticed that it was listed wrong only after I payed, but the person was cool and cleared things up. He had it listed as PVM 14N5U when its the same BVM 14F5U the other guy is talking about in here.
>>
>>2932712
*And I mean it works too. I live a state away from the seller so it got here fast. I just don't have much to say about it since I could only test my PS3 (its all I have component readily available for) on it while I wait for my SNES scart and scart to bnc adapter to get here.

Still, I played a bit of G-Darius on it through the PS3 and that was pretty great. Tried a couple other PS1 titles, but I'm honestly feeling like I'm going to be most impressed by how the SNES looks like on it.
>>
>>2929670
Looks oldschool, probably has a SABA or Phillips counterpart. If it has SCART you're golden. But it's an old style CRT, so no fancy stuff.
>>
File: 1452498689661.jpg (54KB, 540x472px) Image search: [Google]
1452498689661.jpg
54KB, 540x472px
>Tfw I still can't find a RGB monitor on CraigsList
>Checked on eBay and sorted by zip code and the closest matches are hundreds, if not thousands of miles from me
>Even regular ass consumer TVs don't pop up much, and if they do, they're usually 13" composite/mono-only Chinese pieces of shit
>All the Goodwills in the D/FW area are no longer taking TVs or monitors of any kind
Jesus Christ, I really don't want to shell out for an XRGB. How in the hell are people easily coming across some PVMs and I can't find shit?
>>
>>2932802
I'm in DFW and got a nearly new NEC XP29 from an Oklahoman seller on craigslist around 2 years ago. I also got a decent Viewsonic PC CRT from cl. Just keep checking, you never know what might show up.
>>
>>2932802
It ain't easy niggy keep at it
>>
>>2932802
It's all about patience anon.
You just gotta wait for the right opportunity to come up.
>>
>>2932956
And don't jump on anything to fast, look it over and make sure it's a good deal. Otherwise when the next better tv comes along for cheaper(or free) you'll be kicking yourself.

>speaking from experience
>>
How do I access the Analog Input on a BVM? I have my cables hooked up and I'm powering on my SNES but no image is appearing? Help me familia
>>
>>2932995
It would help if you let us know the exact model bruh
>>
File: bkm10r.jpg (60KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
bkm10r.jpg
60KB, 638x479px
>>2932995
do you have a remote?
>>
>>2933010
>>2933013
BVM-14F5U

Doesn't have a remote, but has all of those on the side. Got a picture up finally, but the geometry or somethings seems off, I'll get a picture up in a few.
>>
>>2933019
p.16 http://www.cjoint.com/13jv/CADhEm4GSS3_bvm14f5u_operations_manual.pdf
input a channel, set up what signal that channel should show
>>
File: 20160121_122208.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160121_122208.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2931740
Alright /crt/, samefag here with a follow-up question.

So the component transcoder delivers an absolutely beautiful picture for my genesis. However, my saturn doesn't display right. I'm getting a super-distorted picture; I'm guessing it's a problem with the sync.

I'm using csync cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk designed for NTSC saturn. I have a model 1, but I don't believe this should matter.

Unfortunately I don't have a PVM (yet) so I can't test out the SCART cable separately from the component transcoder, but from what I've read online, other people have no problem putting saturn RGB through a transcoder and getting an image. So my next thought is that they could've messed up and given me cables designed for a PAL console? Or maybe there's some other issue?
>>
File: bvm cyuck.jpg (3MB, 2159x3836px) Image search: [Google]
bvm cyuck.jpg
3MB, 2159x3836px
alright, got my bvm-14F5U showing an image. Is there anyway besides brute force to get the Absolute Video Settings for this thing?
>>
>>2933037
have you read the manual? you should read the manual.
>>
>>2933039
I guess skimming it isn't really an option?
>>
>>2933042
at least read the relevant parts. I don't know what Absolute Video Settings are, but getting the image right on mine took about 5 minutes on the menu in your pic.
>>
>>2933037
You mean global convergence and geometry settings?

In the maintenance menu, E board. Password is 1111 unless it's been changed
>>
how does everyone clean their CRTs?
>>
File: shilling intensifies hillary.gif (427KB, 361x442px) Image search: [Google]
shilling intensifies hillary.gif
427KB, 361x442px
>>2933060
Like with a cloth or something
>>
>>2933064
Microfiber, I've got a pack of around 50 for cheap.

Different question, what's the best way to ship a pvm/bvm?
This guy is telling me he'll instapak a foam piece bubble wrap over the screen, then into a box, then in a cushioned box with large packing peanuts and 80lb packing paper. Marked as fragile with delicate instructions.
Is that safe enough?
>>
>>2933079
I got a pvm in the other day (14inch) and it was packed similarly and arrived in relatively good condition
>>
>>2933079
On a palette

Anything else is a huge gamble if you ask me
>>
>>2933079
>Marked as fragile with delicate instructions.
I have my doubts that the people in charge of shipping would care.
I think it's a better idea to claim that the box has "lithium batteries" inside and must be handled with care or else it could catch fire and that's why they can't take any risks here.
>>
Paid 120 for a 14in BVM with roughly 4000 hours on it.
>>
>>2933079
Probably safe, but holy shit that must cost a packet in shipping. How far I'd it going? I'd its a few hours drive, consider making a road trip?
>>
TWO BVM-20G1U's located in brooklyn up on craigslist for $325 each, might be worth looking into if you are local.
>>
>>2933239
We know, you won't stop posting pictures of the service menu's counter.
>>
>>2933382
nah senpai, i don't have a 20, mines 14. haven't posted any pictures of it yet.
>>
>>2933382
Lol that was me.

For the record I've only posted it twice. Must really stick in your craw eh?
>>
Whats your audio solutions /crt/
>>
>>2933446
I want to get a nice pair of stereo speakers so I can plug everything into a receiver
Nothing before Xbox would have 5.1 sound right?
>>
>>2933452
I've heard that some speakers are capable of damaging CRT screens, I don't think any consoles discussed on /vr/ are capable of surround sound.
>>
>>2932960
Had that happen to me jumpes the gun and overpaid big time for a bvm, but live and learn.
>>
File: sonyfag.jpg (54KB, 1420x384px) Image search: [Google]
sonyfag.jpg
54KB, 1420x384px
>>2933446
>STR-7015 receiver
>SS-B1000 speakers
I've posted a shitty pic of my all-Sony setup before, but here's just the audio components. They work great, and old Sony receivers sound clean and they're basically invincible.

>>2933452
>Nothing before Xbox would have 5.1 sound right?
Negative. Unless Dreamcast did, but I don't think it did.
>>
So I've got a PVM-14M4E, everything was working fine but suddenly when I turn it on the image is purple and it slowly fades out into black.

I can still load the status menu & service menu without issues even when this is happening. Under the status menu it says my colour mode is YUV instead of RGB even though I've got it hooked up by SCART via BNC.

Is there a factory reset I can run on it since I think one of my friends was fucking with the service menu options and has probably written something to the memory or does anyone have an idea of why it's happening?
>>
>>2933460
Dolby surround/pro logic is old as fuck.
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,136/p,9/
>>
>>2933469
I'm fairly sure there are DC games that support Dolby Pro Logic, I think even some N64 games do. Not true 5.1, but pretty damn cool if you have the receiver and rig for it.
>>
>>2933452
A pair of creative pc speakers, shielded. For their size, they pack a surprising punch and have really good lows.
Before I tried some shitty Trust pc speakers bought at flea markets, I was kinda amused they put fake piezo tweeters.
>>
>>2933474
beat me to it and better info, bravo and thx anon.
>>
>>2933479
There's more games in the Pro Logic 2 list, but not exactly retro. Its the improved version of dolby surround/pro logic.
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,206/offset,0/p,7/so,1a/
>>
>>2933472
Ok now the image is in colour again but it quickly fades out to black. Doesn't do it on a PS2 via BNC or SNES via s-video but when connecting the SNES via BNC it fades out.
>>
What are the best CRTs of the 2000's ?
I want to upgrade my PC monitor
>>
>>2933496
pretty much anything over 20 inches has a confirmed good res and refresh rate
>>
hey guys i found a 20 inch crt tv today for 35 dollars
it has a flat screen but just 2 componant cables from what ive seen
is it worth picking up?
i plan to get a sega dreamcast or NES soonish
what would i need to hook it up to those or my PC?
thank you
>>
there's a sony monitor line not often talked, the SSM series (security surveillance monitor I think ?).
While it seems many are B&W, have composite only, some do have S-video in, and can be as high as 500 TVL.
So for those composite purists, or those who can't/don't want to go above S-video, searching for a Sony SSM might be a good middle ground, or an entry into SD monitors.
>>
File: ssm14n5u_2_bg.jpg (90KB, 950x1255px) Image search: [Google]
ssm14n5u_2_bg.jpg
90KB, 950x1255px
>>2933512
here are specs
>>
>>2933505
Do you know model number or res details? Might be a good pick up!
>>
>>2933460
Hmm I'd be plugging the consume directly into the receiver via rca rather than through the display.

>>2933476
I'll provably go unpowered speakers, since I already have a nice Yamaha stereo receiver for them
>>
dont know if off topic but what is the maximum resolution you can run through each type of cable?

from my research
composite-480i
s-video-480i better color
component-720p
hdmi-1080p+

I have a samsung blu-ray player hooked up to a crt through composite and it will run 1080i but gets a weird stutter when it switches menus etc. someone told me this is impossible with composite. will also run at 480p. without the stutter.
>>
>>2933538
I think it has to do with unshielded magnets inside of the speakers.
>>
File: IMG_20160121_224039.jpg (839KB, 1827x2100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_224039.jpg
839KB, 1827x2100px
excuse my piss poor phone quality
testing out the ps2 240p patch
>>
>>2933532
i dont
can i still get decent quality if all it has is componant?
>>
>>2933571
component can go up to 1080p, but no bluray player supports it because MUH HDCP
>>
>>2933538
>>2933476 here for some reason I misquoted, was supposed to reply to original q >>2933446
>>
>>2933590
googled that, it is lame.
>>
>>2933571
>s-video-480i better color
More luminance bandwidth than composite that brings a sharper and clearer image.
The chrominance (color) information is equal to composite.

>>2933590
I think it can go even higher, it all comes down to the cables, parasitic capacitance (reduces bandwidth) and the quality of the ADC, DACs, amps..
It's similar to VGA, only a different sync and color format.
>>
>>2933359
it's a dude from here that's selling them. or maybe it's you :o !!!
>>
>>2933704

any help
>>
>>2933761
what type of SNES? what type of cable?
>are there any other options?
well, you're in /crt/...
>>
>>2933775
its a north american SNES, and Im using a NA hdtv, some samsung 5000 series hdtv its last years model.
im looking for options that involve me just using my current tv, dont have room for a crt in my room.
>>
>>2933780
forgot to mention, im just using the standard cables that the snes came with. i dont even know what those are called. sorry for being such a nub, i havent done any retro gaming since i was a kid, and back then I thought it looked and sounded great on my oldschool big screen tv.
>>
>>2933754
oh shit is it actually, it's not me. I was gonna grab one but they have like scratches or something on them
>>
>>2933780
>>2933785
Yeah if you're using the basic Composite (Yellow, Red & White) cables, you're gonna have a pretty lousy picture with a good bit of lag. Assuming you have the original SNES (not the mini), it outputs RGB natively.
RGB, if you don't know, if different from Component (the Red, Green, Blue, White & Red cables). Your HDTV won't have an input for RGB, which is why you'd need something like in your pic. I don't know much about the different upscaler models; maybe someone else can recommend one. I know that the framemeister is the best, but that setup would cost you hundreds.
>>
>>2933329
> cost
$179 shipping
>drive
Cross country

im hoping the box will be big enough that it needs a palette
>>
>>2933785
have you tried setting the tv to 4:3 (narrow on my aspect options. also check that the cables connections are clean and are getting a good connection (the outer ring can become loose giving a poor ground). try to avoid running the cable along side power cords. n64 and gamecube use the same composite cable. if you have one of those consoles you could try swapping cables and see if that helps. also try a different input on the tv if it has multiple.
>>
>>2933503
thanks
why are 16:9 computer CRTs so hard to find? id love having one for multimedia and movies.
>>
>>2933872
I've tried setting the tv to 4:3, yeah, same problem. It's weird, I notice its worse on some games, and every game its really bad on certain screens. i'll try your other tips though. thanks, anon.

>>2933801
yeah thanks for the help!! I think I'll pick up a fragmeister, I don't really mind the price tag (I'm spending a ton more on boxed snes games anyways)
>>
>>2933908
If you get a framemeister, make sure you get the right cables. EuroSCART and JP21 look identical, but it'll only accept one of them (I think JP21, but you should check)
>>
>>2933908
just checked the website, which is the solaris japan one, right? will cost me 38200 yen, which convereted into canadian dollyroos is almost $500. jesus. welp, can anyone here confirm that the video quality is just *THAT* much better, or maybe recommend me one I can get from the US, or preferably, Canada, that would cost less and perform as good as a framemeister?

and the framemeister will work with a lot of consoles, too, right?
>>
>>2933914
what do you mean by right cables? you mean the cables that I will be using with my SNES, or the cables the framemeister comes with...? if the latter, no idea what you're talking about, what is EuroSCART and JP21?

As I've said, I live in canada, and am using a standard north american television and north american snes unit. the old one, not the mini.
>>
>>2933894
Because 16:9 started becoming more standard at the same time that LCDs started taking over.
>>
File: nervous reject homer.gif (2MB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
nervous reject homer.gif
2MB, 250x187px
>tfw bought a PVM online and the seller is shipping it

wew lads, wish me luck. I'm getting it for a steal, all things considered, but all it takes it one asshole dropping the thing to fuck my day up. I stressed how important proper packaging was, but only time will tell.

It's shipping via fedex. I wonder if I can call them up after it ships and I have a tracking number and tell them to hold it at the fedex office so I can pick it up myself. One less trip from the office to my front door, which means one less chance for someone to throw around a 75 lb box.
>>
>>2933894
16:9 HD CRTs are pretty common.
>>
>>2933915
like I said, hundreds lol. if you're just looking for picture quality and don't mind the lag, cheaper options will work for you, but I don't know anything about those.
If I understand correctly, they should work with any console that outputs RGB.

>>2933916
The cables that feed into the upscaler. It'd be Console > SCART cable > Upscaler > HDMI cable > TV
There are two types of SCART cables - EuroSCART and JP21. They look exactly the same but are not compatible. The japs just switched a couple pinouts to avoid paying royalties. All you need to find out is which one to pick, which is something the upscaler seller will specify.

to be honest, the fact that you're going from a shitty composite signal on a flatscreen to being willing to spend hundreds of bucks in no time kinda worries me. you should probably read up a bit before shopping. http://retrorgb.com/displayrgb.html
>>
>>2933032
>designed for NTSC saturn.
You mean you got an ntsc cable? As in JP-21?
>>
>>2933940
does the framemeister come with these scart cables? does it matter if I go euroscart or jp21? will they work fine with my NA snes?
>>
>>2933505
>>2933589
*component

And do you mean composite, or actually component?
If component and it is standard definition, it's worth it. Otherwise, no.
>>
File: CRT.jpg (1MB, 1200x5200px) Image search: [Google]
CRT.jpg
1MB, 1200x5200px
Is this picture still relevant for people new to CRTs and retro video? Or is there something particularly wrong with it?

Been thinking about making one specifically about the 4 major types of CRT (SD CRT TV, HD CRT TV, PC CRT, pro monitor), and their different uses.
>>
>>2933952
>does the framemeister come with these scart cables?
no, AFAIK it's not even provided with the female scart-to-minidin that connects to the framemeister.

>does it matter if I go euroscart or jp21?
yes, go with euroscart unless you're adamant on getting rarer, japan only JP21 cables

>will they work fine with my NA snes?
If you get one made for NA SNES.
>>
>>2933979
RGB is missing the sync signal, should mention that you can get it from the composite signal, the S-video Y signal, or sometimes from a dedicated pin from the console.
Maybe should also point that SD-only TVs with component input are fairly uncommon.
>>
>>2933974
hmmm

all ik is it only has two (colored holes) instead of three (the usual that im familiar with) i could see
is there a way to check whether its composite or component without powering it on?
>>
>>2933952
>>2933990
I'd double-check this dude because I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. I'm nearly certain it does matter whether they're EuroSCART or JP21, as I've said a couple times now.

I get that this thread is here to discuss this stuff, but dude, do a little bit of research on your own. between the two threads, you're asking an obnoxious amount of questions that are easy to find the answers to.
>>
>>2933974
>>2934016
>>2933979
from what i see on this picture i think it must be
composite
>>
>>2933084
I had a 20" set shipped on a small pallet. The pallet was ripped to pieces and the set looked like someone had dropped a cinderblock on it from two floors up.

The other attempt I made was a 14" set, which I had spacefoamed. and it arrived in perfect condition.
>>
>>2934012
I wouldn't say fairly uncommon. all the trinitron wegas from the early 2000s have composite + s-video + component inputs, afaik. At least every model I've ever seen. And wegas are common too. I see them all over the place
>>
>>2933417
Not him, but nah, we're just sick of fuckwits bragging. One post is more than sufficient. If it becomes relevant to discussion or to a question you want to ask, feel free to post again, of course.

>>2933571
Component tops out at 1080p, doesn't it? And HDMI does as well. To go higher res/rate on a
PC you need to use DP or dual-link DVI, no?
>>
>>2933925
I feel you, I just bought a 14-M2U a few days ago, and I'm a bit concerned. Hopefully it will be alright, the guy stated that he'll be double boxing it, and plus it seems like he was an experienced seller.
>>
>>2934076
Hdmi can do up to 4k 60hz maybe higher depending on which version is being implemented
>>
>>2933359
>>2933786
Any idea how one would get rid of scratches like that on a b/pvm
>>
File: IMG_20160119_234829.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_234829.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Recenty got a RGB cable for my wii because I want to play pc engine and wonderswan games through it on my pvm. Cable was pretty cheap and I can't get anything but a rolling picture out of it (before you point out the obvs yes my wii is pal). I opened the cable up and from what I can see on this site http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#wii the pinout is in total about 50% completely wrong.

2 questions:

1st - have I read this completely wrong and the picture should be fine?

2nd - is the diagram on that site correct if I attempt to rewire it that way?

Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_20160119_234657.jpg (917KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_234657.jpg
917KB, 3264x2448px
>>2934183
another pic
>>
>>2934183
That cable looks fine to me, I don't know where you got that it is 50% wrong, unless you think that the fucking plastic sheath colour on the cables indicates what signal the cable has.

Rollover is caused by wrong sync (Sony stuff tend to be bitchy about needing c-sync instead of composite input), or maybe wrong rgb switching voltage on pin, errr... 8 and 16, I think.
>>
>>2934213
if he is connected to the pvm via BNC, he doesn't need 8 and 16.
but if he's using one of those uncommon CMPTR connectors, then he might need pin 8 to carry voltage.
>>
guys is composite really that bad?
i remember using it as a kid
>>
File: composite is superior.jpg (396KB, 1576x1044px) Image search: [Google]
composite is superior.jpg
396KB, 1576x1044px
>>2934224
>if he is connected to the pvm via BNC, he doesn't need 8 and 16.

If he connected via BNC then he also needs a sync separator on the composite video line.

>>2934259
It's not THAT bad, and some games even used the faults of the composite signal to create more colours. It really depends on the game. And it's a huge step up over RF that many consoles shipped with.
>>
>>2934267
which one is composite
>>
>>2934276
The blurry one.
>>
>>2934276
Neither, they're both filters emulating a game at a resolution way larger than ever intended for the game.
>>
>>2934283
I should also add that the game in question is Super Contra, a game that isn't displayed in anything but RGB, and the filter in question isn't meant as a composite substitute by any means.
>>
>>2934267
>And it's a huge step up over RF
lol no, it's marginal at best, depending on tv tuner.

Also, stop spreading fake stuff. >>2934291 is right
>>
what if you're using a vga box? how does the quality turn out then? on dreamcast for example
>>
File: 102_4628cr.jpg (1MB, 2460x3164px) Image search: [Google]
102_4628cr.jpg
1MB, 2460x3164px
>>2933512
>>2933515
>SSM-14/20N5U
Looks to be just a slightly cut down PVM N5U.

>>2933848
>$179 shipping
...Is this a monitor on ebay, because this is the same quote I got from someone recently.

>>2934267
>If he connected via BNC then he also needs a sync separator on the composite video line.
Unless it's a particularly old set, PVMs are perfectly fine accepting CVid for sync.
Need to put this up on the Megaview for a more accurate screen comparison.

>>2934330
VGA is 31khz RGB; Increased resolution (and a progressive video signal rather than interlaced with the vast majority of the Dreamcast's library) over 15khz RGB, but other than those points, the picture quality is the same.
>>
so basically if you have a 31khz crt (the majority) you just use it? unless you have one of those old radeons?
>>
>>2934430
>31khz crt (the majority)
PC monitors, sure, but your normal CRT tv is 15khz only.

>unless you have one of those old radeons?
If you have a VGA box/cable for the Dreamcast, you just connect it directly to the CRT monitor, no interaction with a computer what so ever.
>>
>>2934303
composite is much better than RF, I have both for a snes and it is quite a difference. worth it just to get rid of signal noise.
>>
RF is the superior connection
>>
Is there a reason why people here seem to use CRT TVs more than CRT computer monitors? Or is it just to not have to fuck around with vga conversion and stuff. I'd love to hook a NES or something up to my old Dell CRT instead of buying a PVM or something on ebay.
>>
>>2934529
CRT PC monitors do not support the low resolutions that retro consoles output.
Almost every conversion is shit (component <=> RGB is the exception)
>>
There's a GDM-F500 nearby that is really tempting to get, but I don't know if I really want to drop $100+ on something like that.
It'd blow any other PC monitor I've ever had out of the water without a doubt.
>>
>>2934213
Did you look at the link I posted? The pin out is completely different. Perhaps it's just hard to tell because of the shitty photo? Sorry about that.

I have tried both the normal sync (through a breakout rgbs adapter) and composite as sync (through another breakout pass through adapter I use for sound)
>>
>>2934259
Some system's composite signal is shittier than others. Most Nintendo consoles have pretty good c whereas the mega drives is pretty bad.
>>
>>2934267
That picture is comparing a lcdlike every line look to 240p double strike look and has nothing to do with composite/rgb
>>
hey guys, the obnoxious dude from last night here again. I promise, this will be my last post. just have a couple more questions before I spend half a grand on this stuff.

so... basically I want to keep using my hdtv, no room for a crt. I want to run my snes to my hdtv, and get a really good signal, one thats better then my regular composite cables that came with the system. plus, theres some wiggling problems with the video signal... cant even play games really.

anyways... to clarify:

I need the following items: my na snes, a SCART cable, that will plug into my SNES, a special SCART converter, that I will plug my snes scart cable into, and feed into my framemeister, and then I will run the framemeister to my HDTV, right?

If anyone could give me a link to finding this scart converter thing, that would be great too, I've tried looking on ebay and can't find it.
>>
My shitty Sylvania seems to have shit the bed. I don't have any other CRT TVs to replace it with, but I do have quite a few CRT monitors laying around. Does an RCA to VGA adapter exist that isn't shit and wouldn't cost more than it would to just get a new TV? And if I used one of these monitors, would it work for light gun games?
>>
>>2935092
The only non-shit RCA to VGA converter, at least that comes to my head, is one of the older XRGBs, but good luck finding one of those for a decent price.

However, from what I've heard those cheaper RCA to VGA converters on ebay aren't so bad. So you shouldn't have too much trouble with those.

As far as light gun games are concerned, if I remember correctly you wont be able to use light guns with 31khz CRT monitor.
>>
File: crt.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
crt.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
I have some questions about this CRT I recently got.

Why do I get this scanline effect on 240p games?

What causes this weird smearing bullshit and how can I fix it? The smearing is a lot more visible with a bright color right next to a dark one like in the picture.
>>
>>2935141
How old is the TV, and what kind of signal are you playing your game from?

Often, shit like this is just the symptom of a worn out tube, especially when mixed with a lower-quality video signal.
>>
>>2935154
This TV is from 1992 and I'm using composite. This TV was my parents' and they used it a lot, so the tube probably is worn out.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>2935173
Sounds like it. It might not even be that worn, but composite is a very weak video signal. You'd see some blurring like that even on a newer set.

I still have my old game TV from 1987 stashed away at my parent's house. Now that I've been spoiled by a PVM, I kind of want to dig it out and see just how abysmal everything looks in comparison, especially considering I was using RF most of the time. But I played every game from 2nd gen to 7th on that thing. I'll be damned if I'll ever get rid of it.
>>
>>2935051
>The mini uses a custom 8-pin mini-DIN connector for RGB input. Most users will want to connect either SCART or RGB21 style cables via an adapter. The Mini ships with a Mini-DIN to RGB21 adapter. Never directly use the European standard SCART cables with the RGB IN adapter that comes bundled with the Mini. Standard SCART is wired differently to the Japanese only RGB21 standard and regular SCART cables will not work with it.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER#Important_:_about_the_supplied_RGB-IN_adapter
>>
I'm thinking about getting a 5" PVM for playing Famicom. I'm looking at a Sony and a JVC, any recommendations? JVC stuff is cheaper because it's not Sony, but does anyone have any experience with small PVMs?
>>
>>2935284
at 5" you might as well just not.
>>
>>2935141
looks like misalignment dude
>>
>>2935285
I knew I would get at least one response like that. It has to fit on my desk, I live in a small apartment. I used to play NES on a 5" B&W TV anyway so I know what the size is like.
>>
>>2935290
are you sure a 14" couldn't fit on your desk?
>>
>>2935284
the 8 inchers are very popular
>>
>>2935292
I measured, I can't even fit a 9". I have a two-tiered desk so it has to fit under the top part.
>>
>>2935293
Looking at 8", how are PVM medical monitors? Any different from video production gear?
>>
>>2935305
No. Other that the fact that they have likely exclusively been used to display the insides of peoples' butts.
>>
>>2935313
kek
>>
>>2935305
first of all you should look up the dimensions of the 8 inch pvm (it isnt 8 inches tall)
then if it will fit look for a seller on ebay who will ship the damn things and tell them to double box it
>>
>>2935371
I found a ton on eBay, but the 8" models are generally over 8" tall from the dimensions I've found online.
>>
>>2935295
I know the feel, I'm so sad I can't fit a 36' trunk in my room
>>
>>2935092
Use RGB cables and a line doubler that outputs VGA. Then use a scanline generator. Don't try to convert from composite.
>>
>>2929707
>Also is there any point to PS3 on a CRT?
Free downsampled AA at the cost of resolution. Also better color/black levels, motion and no noticeable input latency.
So yeah actually, it probably looks half decent outside of the fact that he's not going to be able to read tiny ass text.
>>
File: 20160120_201211.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160120_201211.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /vr/, I bought a tiny pvm just to test the waters before moving up to something larger scale. I have a giant trinitron, but I want to figure out the strange inputs that are standard on pvms.

I have it plugged into a Wii with component female to bnc male and I'm getting a rolling picture; does this have to do with the sync that these monitors have? I can't seem to find the menu to mess around and get it to stop rolling.
>>
>>2935686
what?
>>
>>2935686
why would you buy a pvm when you already have a giant trinitron?
>>
>>2935686
What size is that?
>>
>>2935710
Just for kicks. $30. I just wanna mess around and play some nes on my desk or whatever. My only other CRT is impossible to move, 36'.

>>2935718
8"
>>
>>2935686
>Wii with component female to bnc male and I'm getting a rolling picture
is your wii set to 480p? that pvm can't handle anything other than 240p/480i.

look for a sync button, you don't want ext sync on if using component.

lastly, make sure it can take component as well as RGB
>>
>>2935241
So the mini doesn't come with a european scart to mini adapter, so I'll have to get one that works with the european one, right? Other then that, I should be good, right?
>>
>>2935840
or, I could just get JP21 scart cables, right? are those included with the mini, and if not, are they harder to find and are there any compatibility problems with the JP21 scart cables with a na snes versus the euroscart ones
>>
>>2935729
It says component/RGB on the back, the wii is set to 480i.
>>
>>2935851
then you must have external sync on, find a sync button and hit it.
which i assume you've already done, so i'm out of ideas
>>
>>2935849
These aren't included with the framemeister, are they? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-Famicom-SNES-SFC-csync-XRGB-Japanese-21-pin-RGB-JP-21-cable-lead-/201405920500?hash=item2ee4ba74f4:g:waMAAOSwHnFVymPE

And if not, if I get these, everything should work for me, right?

snes > jp21 xrgb > adapter thats included with the framemeister > framemeister > hdmi > tv is how it should look, right?

so essentially what i need is the console, the jp21 xrgb scart cables (not sure if these are included with the framemeister, need clarification), adapter, framemeister unit, and an hdmi cord and hdtv... right guys?
>>
>>2935881
>>2935849
>>2935840
not to be a total dick, but this shit is easy.

if you're having a hard time perhaps you should avoid the whole mess and emulate on your hdtv.

the fact that you keep asking a million questions that are so easily googleable makes me not want to help you.
>>
>>2935880
Right right, no problem. Yeah I hit the sync button and that causes signal to show, but it's rolling.
>>
>>2935887
did you try v-hold?
>>
File: 20160122_160537.jpg (244KB, 1000x378px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_160537.jpg
244KB, 1000x378px
anyone in rochester area interested in this bnc switcher?

8 input, RGBs/RGsB/RGB/Component/Composite/Svideo with balanced/unbalanced audio input, 4 output of the same

US$25 bucks and it's yours (i got it for 37.50)

other anons that would require shipping i can give you quotes, if there's any interest.

i ended up grabbing a 16 input model
>>
File: IpplT8w.gif (2MB, 350x251px) Image search: [Google]
IpplT8w.gif
2MB, 350x251px
All I want is a CRT of decent size with component inputs.

I have a CRT (garbage CRT) with S-Video inputs.

I have an HD-CRT (garbage digital input lag) with component, hdmi, s-video and composite inputs.

I have a PVM-1380 (garbage compshit only pvm) with composite input.

And NONE of these solutions are satisfying. Especially with this (currently wasted) SCART -> YPbPr set up I have for my Genesis and Saturn.

I wish god would descend down from the heavens and open up a company producing brand new CRT televisions.

Just fuck my shit up senpai!!
>>
>>2936016
sell all of them and get a good pvm.
>>
>>2936016
try to find a Sony KV20/24-FS120
According to manual, SD only but with component in
>>
>>2936016
Just grab any 90's set from Europe
>>
>>2929204
No really, why are these threads allowed here? There's nothing even remotely video games about them. You should go to /g/ or something.
>>
>>2936086
the idea is they think crts are only good for retro games
but they're also superior to IPS pc screens as well
so yeah i think it should gather on /g/
>>
File: 300IIHt.gif (949KB, 290x240px) Image search: [Google]
300IIHt.gif
949KB, 290x240px
>>2936036
The PVM-1380 (I would imagine) is next to worthless, as is the generic set with s-video inputs. Maybe I could get something for the HD-CRT but I doubt with all three I could get money to buy a decent sized pvm.

It doesn't help that I'm in Canadanistan where we get charged $20 just for shipping something up from the states, nevermind paying shipping for a 24" CRT set...

>>2936069
I'd love to, I've been looking off and on for years, and looking particularly hard for a few months now.

>>2936070
Shipping costs man, I'm talking wanting a 24"+ size set here.
>>
>>2936086
>>2936097
/g/ is crt nazi
>>
>>2936103
very true
ive been making the crt generals a few times there and they fucking despise it

they'll only acknowledge the tiniest tiniest of problems crts have but wont acknowledge ANY of the problems of IPS

the only like brand new shiny plastics
>>
>>2936086
>>2936097
I know you guys are new here, but these threads are undoubtedly among the best and most consistent on /vr/ (up there with the doom, romhacking and rct threads)

Really, the "retro" and "video" aspects of "retro video games" are pretty tough to factor out.
>>
i have a question guys

how does a vga crt monitor look compared to a 15khz tv
ik its not exactly the same but how much worse does it look? (and i would assume it looks better than lcd)
ive got a nice crt monitor and im considering if its worth it to pick up a pvm as well
>>
>>>/g/52551749
why was this deleted?
>>
>>2935912
Hey how was the packaging on your 16 input model? I was surprised with have overwrapped it was, or maybe im just use to subpar packing practices.
>>
>>2936115
it doesn't look as good for consoles, never mind the fact that IT DOESN'T SUPPORT 15khz SIGNALS HAVE YOU READ THE THREAD??
>>
If I have a PVM-14M4E is it worth picking up any of the following:

BVM-1410P
BVM-1411P
BVM-1415P

All 3 of those are local to me and I was possibly thinking about getting one if the quality jump was enough.
>>
>>2935881
>snes > jp21 xrgb > adapter thats included with the framemeister > framemeister > hdmi > tv
correct (I feel like I've said that a couple times now)
the ebay seller you linked is legit. you should buy from there because, no, there are no SNES JP21 cables included with the framemeister (something you could have easily looked up in seconds)

good luck and please don't come here for troubleshooting when you end up buying the wrong stuff
>>
>>2936345
ik it doesnt support 15khz but what will happen? what will it look like?
>>
>>2936474
You dont get an image...
>>
I like mini crts. They are cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ML3F3fXPs4
>>
File: P_20160118_125420.jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160118_125420.jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
>>2936358
I have a bvm-1410P
Comparing specs, your PVM is actually a bit better (800 vs 700 TVL). It's fully analog, no OSD so no way to check hours. It also need termination. Has no sound.
But, this is just great and I don't think it's present on PVMs.
>>
File: DSC01921.jpg (3MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01921.jpg
3MB, 5472x3648px
>>2936474
For sources that would support running at that resolution and assuming the monitor is at least halfway decent, it'd look really nice.
The problem is, other than PC games and Dreamcast, nothing /vr/ related will output at said resolution.
If you want to go the upscaler route, you could use older consoles on one, but at that point you might as go the emulation route since it'll offer you equal or better picture quality in many situations and at a ridiculously better price point.

Console-wise, non-/vr/ related stuff plays much more nicely with PC CRTs, especially if you've got a transcoder lying around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiY60QotxMU
>>
>>2936535
hmm i see thank you
i guess ill be picking up a pvm
id like to have a dreamcast, SNES, and NES in the future
would i have trouble connecting those things?
srry to bug ya
>>
>>2936528
Yeah I'll be honest, part of the want is just the look of the BVM with the pull-out cards.

Generally though I thought that the BVMs had an overall better image quality even if it did draw less lines. I've always heard that the BVMs "shit" on the PVMs in that regard.
>>
>>2936552
how much ? Paid mine 50€, a bit more than what I initially planned, but in the end it was totally worth it as it was the only monitor that appeared near me. Other would require +200km trips and x2/3 the price...
>>
>>2936552
>Generally though I thought that the BVMs had an overall better image quality
That's probably because on BVMs you have direct/easy access to adjustments that are harder to access on PVMs
>>
>>2936563
It would be around £60 which is around 79€. Where I live is somewhat remote and getting any sort of PVM is a nightmare so I'm willing to deal with the price.

>>2936589
Right ok. I just thought since BVMs have grade 1 tubes where as the PVMs have grade 2 that there would generally be a picture quality difference but if proper calibration means they're fairly even then I can deal with just having the PVM for now.
>>
>>2936198
Due in Wednesday, I'll let you know.
How'd you set up the audio? Patch the unbalanced ground to both negatives of the balanced input? Ignore the balanced negatives?

The brochure says it handles both if wired correctly but I can't find a manual anywhere.
>>
>>2936648
A quick google search of "Inline 31608 manual" will give u a link to a pdf of the op manual. it explains how to wire up unbalanced and balanced audio through it.

I personally havent started using the audio on it yet.
>>
so the only point of buying a 15khz 240p crt is if you're playing a console before dreamcast?
>>
>>2936731
Mostly. But a lot of PS2 games can't go past 480i, so it's good for those, too. PC monitors are better for newer stuff.
15khz = 480i = 240p
>>
>>2936540
yes, you would, because you are not very smart
>>
Probably a noob question, I know, but are there any types of CRT TVs that are considered better? Be it more reliable brand, better features for retro gaming, etc.
>>
>>2936894
definitely a noob question, but i guess this is the place to ask.

look for Sony Trinitrons if you want to put minimal effort in, it'll work and you probably won't need to replace cables

look into sony PVMs/BVMs/other broadcast/production monitors if you're trying to get more into it.
>>
>>2935686
You want your BNC cable in video 1 or A or whatever not rgb/component also make sure ext sync button isn't pressed in
>>
>>2936961
thanks for the tip! there's like, a hundred sony trinitron's on kijiji in my local area, seems like I'll be getting one soon. I'm canadian, but does $50 for one with a stand seem like a good deal? it's a 36 incher... seems pretty huge to be honest. and i'm wondering if my snes would look good on it.
>>
>>2937006
Make sure it is standard definition, not HD or "high scan"
>>
>>2937036
I've seen a few ads were they advertise it as being 'hd', why is that a red flag?
>>
Anybody south of Boston want a piece of shit PVM-20M4U? I spent years looking for one of these monitors, and after sinking time and money into building a proper retro setup and getting all my systems set for RGB and hunting down games I want to play, the fucking thing won't stop wigging out on me. When I play for any length of time, the colors start flickering and changing tint. It's annoying as fuck. I have no idea what to try and fix on it, and there are no repairmen near me that will touch it. Fucking sucks. Time to give up and buy a framemeister.
>>
>>2937056
Sorry man. I'd suggest finding a repairman to do a capacitor replacement on the set. It is a good place to start and is pretty basic. If the repairman can solder and discharge a tube he can do this without knowing much about the other components. You could do it yourself, but it can be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>2937067
>I'd suggest finding a repairman to do a capacitor replacement on the set.
I can't even find an electrician that will look at it for me. I know people have said cap replacements have helped their issues, but that's usually with geometry/stability of the picture. I'd do it myself, but this thing is lousy with capacitors inside. I have no idea what to change.
>>
File: crt.png (13KB, 514x198px) Image search: [Google]
crt.png
13KB, 514x198px
Kya the confidence in this thing you have must be god damn enormous to want one of these for potentially $600 USD.

I hope it works.
>>
>>2937082
>20L5

Wait for it...
>>
>>2937006
>t's a 36 incher
Prepare to have your back broken.

>>2937082
I was just stating how much it ended up going for in end.
I'm an idiot, but I'm not that big of an idiot. The original post was made when the auction itself was still in the double digits in terms of price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121866577973

If the shadowing wasn't there, I'd have maybe been willing to go as high as $150 before shipping, and even that would have been absolutely moronic.
And for additional clarity, the post before that about $400-600 shipping was on a D32 that for once didn't look to have purity problems.

Still don't know about making an offer on a local GDM-F500 though; I doubt they'd take it, but I'm debating on whether it'd even be worth it to offer something like $50-60 for it, as that's considerably less than what they're asking.
>>
>>2937092
ah ok

makes me feel alot better.
>>
>>2937092
What do you mean by "shadowing" in relation to that set?
>>
File: Old Tube.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Old Tube.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>2937096
Notice how in the main picture shown for the auction(of the screen, showing the volume controls) that the screen isn't uniform in its "blackness", rather the areas directly on the horizontal from the text seem to have shadows extending off of them in both directions.

It's a sign of aging and that the monitor is getting past it's peak in terms of display quality.

It'll still work correctly, and look rather nice, but those shadows will get worse as time goes on and instead of only being vaguely visible in situations as shown in the photo, it becomes noticeable in even normal, relatively bright screens.
This is all speaking from experience, as that is the point that my 20M2MDU is at currently. Still useful for testing stuff, but it's becoming visible in photos now.

The photo I have of it has some weird ringing in it, so have this video instead; Note the bars extending off of the white bumpers that move down and then up as they do.
It's more easy to see if viewing the video at half its native resolution, but I didn't think to do that at the time. For whatever reason, this works with photos as well.
>>
Hey guys, I've got a question that's not necessarily CRT related, but I'm relatively new to the RGB game so I figured this is as good of a thread to ask in as any. I bought one of the Gonbes GBS-8220 scalers because dropping $400 on an XRGB is fucking batshit. Anyhow, I've got it wired up to an LM1881 sync stripper and it works great. The problem I'm having is that my 32x isn't syncing correctly. I've got it connected to a Genesis model 2 and Sega CD model 2. If I take the 32x out of the equation it's fine. Most of the time with the 32x it goes in and out of sync rapidly. I've noticed over composite that the top 8th of the image is slightly wobbly. If the GBS manages to lock onto the sync signal then the top of the image is smeared. I found a few other people that seemed to have this image as well but I couldn't ever find anyone that had any resolution to it. Is this something where I should maybe be looking at one of the boosted sync SCART cables or is this (what I'm thinking it is) a capacitor issue?
>>
>>2937167
No experience with the 32X, but I believe that could be one way to go about solving the issue. Alternatively, I'm pretty sure you can install something inside the 32X itself to fix the sync issue rather than buying a cable to deal with it.
Something more acquainted with the 32X's quirks would hopefully be able to give you a better and more reliable answer.
>>
>>2937047
It does not natively support old videogame resolutions. It upscales and lags. Defeats the entire purpose of a CRT.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_152726.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_152726.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2936552
>>2936589
BVMs are a complete step up from PVMs in every way.
>>
File: IMG_20160123_172600.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_172600.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2934183
>>2934186
Can anyone take a second look at my problem here? Still haven't got it figured out. Here is a shot of the Wii emulating Devil Crush through component in return.
>>
>>2936597
>BVMs have grade 1 tubes [whereas] the PVMs have grade 2
Brighter than bright, brighter-than-life colours. But BVM's were really expensive and often saw use in situations where they were used for colour correction for broadcast TV - literally 24/7 use - and the phosphors wear down. You're really unlikely to find one that's in Grade 1 condition. Grade 2 lasts longer, Grade 3 even longer still, so it's easier to find monitors in those categories, along with the fact some PVM's weren't used quite so heavily because they were medical or production monitors.

DESU if your PVM is in good condition, I would expect the BVM to be much, in any, better.
>>
>>2937437
>DESU if your PVM is in good condition, I would expect the BVM to be much, in any, better.

WTF did i just write?

Meant to say, in English, that I wouldn't expect the BVM to be much better, if at all.
>>
File: f.png (1KB, 76x38px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
1KB, 76x38px
>>2937442
desu senpai
Word filters are fun.
>>
>>2937278
depends on models compared
>>
>>2937442
Yeah my PVM is in a fairly good shape, I actually have to turn the brightness down on it so I assume it's still got a decent amount of life in it.

I'll need to spend a bit more time looking into it since for now I've only got PAL systems although I'm planning on testing the colours at some point when I can.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-23-10-18-50.png (285KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-23-10-18-50.png
285KB, 1440x2560px
>>2936730
How silly of me not to search the nonspecific model number...

Thanks, I'll let you know how audio goes once I get it and set it up.
>>
File: bvma20f1u.jpg (13KB, 369x251px) Image search: [Google]
bvma20f1u.jpg
13KB, 369x251px
Is that anon who bought a BVM on ebay from Providence, RI still hanging around? I'm just curious how well it's holding up.
>>
File: 20160122_235442_resized.jpg (763KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_235442_resized.jpg
763KB, 1161x2064px
Also, are there any optional boards for BVMs that let them receive VGA cables?
>>
I was looking around for some intredasting/unusual stuff, I found that Barco Vison 600 projector. Upon reading the descriptions, the seller mentions that he can't test it because he doesn't have the control panel.
>>
>>2937462
I wish we had more honestly. If the mods would just lighten up we could have some real fun by filtering 'overrated' to 'sugoi' (would trash those "overrated games generals")
>>
File: barcovision1500hdtv-kln-1.jpg (102KB, 1195x585px) Image search: [Google]
barcovision1500hdtv-kln-1.jpg
102KB, 1195x585px
>>2937751
so I went looking for more info and yeah, apparently those projectors won't display anything if you don't have the panel (or a bigass input selector). I also couldn't find any clear pic (or even one for sale), the only pic I could find is on this model it's present. And apparently most of old barcos that get sold are missing the panel...
I'm curious, anyone has one or opened one ? Wonder if it's complex and if it would be possible to make a clone.
>>
>>2937092
>>2937082
huh, i recognize that tumblr username, i think i used to follow you when i had tumblr
mrcus32x here
>>
>>2937741
Not that I've seen. Buy a sync processor and a vga->bnc (rgbhv) cable. With one you can input rgbhv and get rgbs out to go into your bvm. I have an extron sc210 processor, inexpensive and works great.

You can also build your own sync combine circuit.

I found that if you just merge them via bnc-t connector there's a good portion of the screen that is distorted
>>
BVM-14F5U owner here
are there any modules I can get for S-Video?
>>
>>2937871
BKM-24N ntsc encoder
BKM-25P pal encoder
BKM-27T ntsc/pal encoder

There's been a 24N on eBay for a while, outrageously overpriced though.
>>
>>2937289
Have you ever displayed RGB from a different source on your PVM?
What pins do you think are wired incorrectly?
Have you pressed the ext sync button?
>>
>>2937871
I've got a BVM 2010P and need an NTSC module. Anyone know the name?
>>
File: compositesync.png (225KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
compositesync.png
225KB, 1440x900px
>>2937789
I think there's an easier solution
>>
>>2937945
Yeah, i've run everything through it. My Mega drive works through RGB + sync, Super Famicom, Saturn, Dreamcast, consolised MVS (not scart but 4 wired up BNC cables). Never had any problems. If you compare the picture i posted to the pinout at http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#wii it's very different. The only things that seem to be the same almost are red green blue and the L + R audio. I usually have the ext sync button pressed in and know what it does etc.
>>
>>2937957
There's a BVM-20F1U on ebay I wanna buy, but it's missing an RGB/component input board. Does anyone know the model number for the right board in case I decide to hunt one down?
>>
>>2929670
Grundig was a pretty good brand for TVs. But as the others said, it's old, it's consumer grad and might not even hat Scart. If it has Scart try it and see if it pleases you.
>>
almost every tv you find in person wont have RGB and you're lucky if it will have s-video right?
>>
File: backpanel.png (19KB, 670x441px) Image search: [Google]
backpanel.png
19KB, 670x441px
How can I identify a CRT if I don't have the manual or can't find any model information on the unit itself?

My dad has a flatscreen Sanyo CRT (not widescreen) that I think is 32", and has 2xS-video inputs and a component input. It looks great but I'd like to read more about it before I offer to take it off his hands. I looked through a bunch of various Sanyo manuals online but never found anything that exactly matched the layout of rear video inputs. Attached is my rough mockup of what the rear panel looks like (I don't remember exactly what order the rgb/rw colors were placed, whatever, you get the point)
>>
>>2938016
Europe: everything has RGB
USA: component > s-video
>>
>>2938018
probably wont find anything better irl
>>
>>2938016
assuming you're in NA, on tvs you won't get RGB, however a lot of big brand like sony, sanyo, panasonic will probably carry S-video.
Back then, S-video main use was for SVHS(C) and Hi8 camcorders which were introduced around 1987, so any mid/high-range brand tv from 90 and after should have S-video.
>>
>>2937963
BVMs have a built in rgb and sync. You don't need any other boards unless you need more inputs. You can send send composite through any of the rgb inputs for three separate composite ins.

But you'd want a bkm-20d or 21d or: >>2937936 if you do need extra inputs.

Keep in mind the additional boards don't have separate sync inputs.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (158KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
158KB, 900x1600px
>>2938114
>BVMs have a built in rgb and sync. You don't need any other boards unless you need more inputs.
Unless the board is missing. Like I said it was.

I probably won't buy it anyway, it's stupidly expensive, but it's just that after looking for like 4 years, the first PVM I got has turned out to be crap. Luckily it was free, but now over the past 3 months or so, I've been spending a lot of time and money modding my consoles and collecting games to play, only to have a monitor that now looks like shit. I work full time and take night classes, so I hardly have any time to play video games, let alone troubleshoot or try and get this shit fixed, if it's even possible. I feel like I just wanna throw a bunch of money at it to get a better monitor, because I have a lot more money on my hands than I do time.
>>
>>2938147
i don't know who sold you that but that's kind of a dick move to remove a stock input card
>>
File: xFnt3cb.jpg (440KB, 2000x1795px) Image search: [Google]
xFnt3cb.jpg
440KB, 2000x1795px
>>2938147
That's slot 3 and is for an optional input card - can be analogue or SDI. The standard analogue card (which is actually wired into the chassis and rarely removed) sits in slot 6. In the pic it's the rightmost one with the yellow warning sticker on it. Is this one missing too? Part number is A-1135-861 as I recall.
>>
>>2938147
Oh yeah another thing, the pic you posted is most definitely not a 20F1. The HD SDI input card is a dead giveaway as that monitor is SD only.

I'd say you're looking at a BVM-A series so no wonder it's pricey.
>>
>>2938225
>BVM-A series
What's so special about that series?
>>
i was just reading about snes and scart to rgb adapters and it sounds so fucking complicated
>>
>>2938245
HD basically. It's the only CRT BVM which is still actually relevant in a professional setting.

This is why they haven't dropped in price...yet.
>>
>>2937783
I recognize you.

The 90's Trinitron with stickers on it, right?
>>
>>2938271
Neat. Will it still process SD signals as well as a regular BVM/PVM? Or should I avoid it for the same reasons as other HD CRTs?
>>
in the analogue section on the back of my BVM where do I wire a composite signal to?
>>
>>2938378
If you can get the BKM-68X input card for analogue it should be excellent. The processing is done wholly within these cards and is top notch and without compromise, unlike consumer ED and HD sets where SD is an afterthought put in only for legacy purposes.

That said the BKM-68X usually costs a ton of money to buy separately at this point. How much is the seller asking for this monitor? Could still be worth getting if it's not an absolute fortune.
>>
File: IMG_20160123_170324.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_170324.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Wish I had a better cameraphone
>>
>>2938421
Look in the input configuration menu. Try setting up a composite connection and see which positions it throws up.
>>
>>2938423
>How much is the seller asking for this monitor?
$999. Fuckin' ridiculous. Especially if I'm gonna have to hunt down an expensive and rare card that I can't even find after a google/ebay search.

I think I quit CRTs. Years of searching and being patient just to get kicked in the balls.
>>
>>2938447
You don't need a BVM.
>>
>>2938469
I know I don't. I just want anything, but I searched for FOUR YEARS and passed up a ton of dubious and overpriced offerings before finally getting lucky and finding a good deal locally. I've used it for less than a month and it's failing on me, I have no idea what's wrong, and no local repair shops will take a look for me.

After having this 480i PVM for a little while, I've realized I definitely want something that can do 480p, because I still play a lot of Gamecube and PS2 games, but 20L5s and other multiformat monitors are getting rare. The few I do see are often overpriced or in shit condition, or stacked with exorbitant shipping rates, plus the risk of them getting destroyed in shipping, which would definitely happen with my luck. I just can't abide by a hobby where I've spent infinitely more time trying to acquire the equipment than actually using it.
>>
>>2938495
Use a PC CRT for 480p. Also, barely any PS2 games will do 480p correctly, even with a modded console.
>>
>>2938504
What type of converter would that require? I toyed with the idea of getting a nice PC CRT for a while, but surprisingly even those were rare around my parts.

The big appeal is that I could finally use that VGA box I bought for my Dreamcast.
>>
>>2938504
Emphasis on the even with a modded console bit. People that recommend GSM have to be retarded. It looks like complete shit.
>>
>>2938525
depends on if it can take composite sync or not
>>
>>2938525
>What type of converter would that require?
>The big appeal is that I could finally use that VGA box I bought for my Dreamcast.
For the Dreamcast? Nothing at all.
For the PS2? If the monitor accepts Sync on Green, just a component cable and an adapter to properly connect it to said monitor. Can be a bit tricky actually getting it to boot into progressive scan mode blind though. PS3 is much nicer in that regard.
GC would need either the stupidly expensive component cable to be modded, or paired with a transcoder. Alternatively, a Wii+component cables and a transcoder.

You summed up the problem with trying to find an L5/MultiFormat BVM pretty well.
>>
>>2929681
Besides the chair, that looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>2933417
>>2933382
>>2933417
theres only like 5 people in this thread senfam....
>>
is it possible for consoles to display something better than rgb if good enough adapters and inputs existed?
>>
>>2938774
senpai senpai, there's someone with a 20in BVM they got for 120, and someone with a 14in BVM they got for 120, both of them claim to have 4k hours.
>>
>>2938818
RGB is literally more than you actually need and has lots of redundancy.
>>
>>2938834
i agree i think s-video looks just fine but just for discussion i wonder if it is possible for them to look better than rgb (on a crt that is)
>>
>>2938838
with cables and inputs that dont exist
is it possible besides upscaling for it to look better on a crt
>>
>>2938818
Humans are trichromats, so CRTs have 3 electron guns and 3 types of phosphors. 3 wires + sync is all you need.
>>
>>2937954
I worry that /crt/ is not recommending someone output 15kHz. This should always be first. All other methods are inferior, most often notably so.
>>2937949
>I've got a BVM 2010P and need an NTSC module. Anyone know the name?
http://neohyphengeo.com/BVM2010.pdf
BKM-1410
>>
>>2938886
wait what?
not output 15khz?
>>
File: monitor.jpg (33KB, 529x384px) Image search: [Google]
monitor.jpg
33KB, 529x384px
what is this thing?
>>
>>2938956
the fuck you think it is?

fucking newfags i swear
>>
>>2938926
If you're using CCC, you're not using crt_emudriver. Which leaves other options, but those get much more complicated.
>>
>>2938956
A Commode-Odor 64.
>>
>>2938956
Sharp MZ-2000
>>
>>2938886
>BKM-1410
thanks
>>
File: mpgfw.jpg (112KB, 635x631px) Image search: [Google]
mpgfw.jpg
112KB, 635x631px
>>2938886
>mfw the controls and cards are exactly the same as with 1410
>mfw I couldn't find manual for the 1410 for free
>mfw I can actually use this instead

thanks a bunch dude, also
>mfw hyphen was actually hyphen and not -
>>
File: WHAT.jpg (140KB, 995x727px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT.jpg
140KB, 995x727px
welp, just got these. fucking canadian dollar being so low, shit is nearly double then you amerifats pay.

anyways, I actually plan on getting a CRT, as well. but I hear a lot of people talking about 'BVM'S and PVM's' which are basically professional level video monitors, right?

any idea where to get one of these? or am I better off just getting a decent trinitron?

also, any trinitrons with half decent stereo sound?
>>
>>2939154
You just spent hundreds of dollars on a framemiester, don't bother with a crt man.
>>
>>2939165
I actually have room for both.
And why not get a CRT? They're basically free, as long as you go pick them up. I can see at least 3 or 4 on any given day just waiting for pickup in my area, and actual good ones too. is this one any good, the kv36xbr450 ? it's a sony wega 36 incher, not an 'HD' model as far as I'm aware. free if I come pickup, might be worth the trip and hassle of carrying the 180lb beast, you think? well, if its good for retro gaming, I mean. comes with a stand too..
>>
>>2939174
check if it has s-video or component
>>
>>2939174
im pretty sure thats an hd model
>>
>>2939180
it does. it has a ton of crap to plug stuff in, more then any other tv I've ever seen, lol. this beast cost over $4000 when it came out, apparently. and I'm getting it for free o_o well... just wanted to know if /vr/ knows if its good for retro gaming, first. google isnt telling me shit about this tv really. the sony kv36xbr450, in case i need to say again.
>>
>>2939183
is it...? i can't tell from the product page :/ i see 'high definition' used on a couple of pages, but it's hard to say if it just upconverts 240p signal badly like all hdtv's do.
>>
>>2939190
If you'll note, in the manual on sony's website, in the diagram showing the rear input panel, the component inputs have an "HD/DVD in" above them, as well as 1080i/480p/480i. That as well as including Sony's DRC "Digital Reality Creation" module mean it's without a doubt an HD model. The DRC is the name for their upscaling process.
>>
>>2939201
Thank you mister
>>
>>2939213
ive heard that before
>>
>>2938248
It seems complicated at first but once you kinda sit down and read stuff it's pretty easy to grasp. It gets complicated when you introduce non-standard equipment into the mix like capture cards and other things like that.
>>
Just wanted to see if anybody could give me help again with >>2932440
I'd really like to have one monitor that can handle basically whatever I throw at it to save space and simplify set up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

>>2938248
RetroRGB gives the most simple and straightforward explanation of everything you need to know.
>>
>>2939393
If just 15/31 support is all you care about, Sony's L5 models, as well as "Multiformat" BVMs from the D-series would get you that.

If you want something willing to sync to a wider range of stuff on the higher end(PC resolutions that is) NEC and Mitsubishi's presentation monitors would be your best bet.
This list has some monitors listed which are able to do 15khz as well as 31, with some being noted as having wider ranges such as the aforementioned Mitsu and NEC offerings.
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/15kHz_SVGA_Monitors

You may have already come across this list in your search.
>>
File: crt.png (245KB, 1156x672px) Image search: [Google]
crt.png
245KB, 1156x672px
>>2939529
every once in a while i just check the prices of the L5 series
this guy scored hard.
if youre out there anon, let us know.

I'm happy with my two 14L5s though
>>
>>2939545
Shit, I'd have had the money for something like that right around then too. Should keep a better eye on ebay rather than just randomly searching it from time to time.
>>
>>2939552
a 14l5 and a 20l5 for <$265 is so unbelievable for late 2015 prices.

Considering im from california and those are from newyork I'd probably have to slap on $40 more for good shipping.

but even that, still an amazing deal.
>>
>>2939545
>best offer accepted
I refuse to believe this isn't photoshopped.
>>
>>2939556
You said it already, but for a price like that, it'd almost be worth it to try to work my way up there to get them in person.

Admittedly, that'd be an 11hour bus trip one way or a 10 hour drive there and back, but still
>>
>>2939529
Thanks a bunch man, that link looks really helpful. Just one question, what does the last number in a list mean?
For instance
>Mitsubishi; Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 20M (HC3925) (HC3925ATK); mel3925; 15.7-38.0; 45.0-90.0; 0
I get that it goes something like {brand}; {marketing name}; {model number}; {hsync}; {vsync}, but I don't know what that 0 is for. For some monitors it's a 1 and I'd like to know what it means so I can narrow down models to look for.
>>
File: DSC02250s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02250s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2939603
Not gonna lie to you, I was wondering the same thing looking over it again.
It mentions something about it including information for modelines for "xfree86", so if I had to take a guess, I'd say it might be related to that.
Outside of that, you seem to have it spot on for what each thing means. The page itself states that it's collected information and not audited to be completely true, so if you come across a monitor on the list, try to do some research yourself to double check.

There's another list someone posted on neo-geo some years back, taken from Usenet that includes a few other monitors not listed there.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?19783-RGB-Monitor-List
DP is dot pitch in this case.

Looking through the various horizontal scan frequencies listed, I can't help but laugh that some of them are higher than "average" PC monitors that came out nearly a decade later in some cases.

Completely unrelated but fun fact: loading the CDX's BIOS file from a flashcart will still initialize and properly start up a Model 2 Sega CD.
>>
I want to get a BVM/PVM.
Which of the two are better, why, and where can you get one?
On average, how much could you expect to pay for a decently sized one?
What are the average sizes for one?
>>
>>2939984
You will get different answers for just about every single one of those questions. Check craigslist for both and report back here for advice
>>
>>2939174
Xbr, pretty sure it's a highscan or HD model
>>
How can I tell if my CRT monitor is good, I got it from the previous owner and he said he used it like 3 times, is there a way to confirm this by testing the CRT ?, if its really low hour ?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Yo /crt/, just got a new TV. It's a "flatscreen" Sony Trinitron CRT model KV-21LS30E. It's a PAL TV capable of running at 60 Hz. I really enjoy the picture quality, or at least I prefer it over the LCDs I used to use. I have one question though: why does PAL 60 appear so dim? I'll start by saying this is possibly a problem with my setup. I'm using an NTSC Wii (480i) to emulate games. However, the emulator itself (SNES9xGx) has its own options for video output, which appear to override the console settings. The NTSC 480i setting works, as do the PAL 50 and PAL 60 settings (Progressive 480p gives a blank screen). I've heard that PAL 60 is supposed to give the best colors, but it just seems really dim to me. Is it supposed to be like this or do you think it's just a problem with my NTSC console? Here is a picture of the NTSC video
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2940372

Here is PAL 60 for comparison. Thanks for the help guys
>>
>>2940372
>>2940379

Should probably add on to this. Of course. PAL 50 has the same color output as PAL 60, just at a lower framerate. I kind of worded that original post awkwardly, implying this was only a problem at 60 FPS. Also, I am using a scanline filter.
>>
>>2940404
Why the fck are you using a scanline filter on crt?
>>
>>2940408

I was told that the scanlines were output by the console, not the TV, itself. Perhaps I received some false information. Either way, it looks better with the scanlines in my opinion.
>>
can you guys tell me exactly what i need to plug my wii into my pvm?
first i need a wii to scart? then a scart to bnc?
and do i have to worry about any of those sync issues?
thank you
>>
File: 41hzON84QwL._SY300_.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41hzON84QwL._SY300_.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>2940581
That depends entirely on what kind of PVM you have. Many can take a component signal (it will say "component/RGB" on the back near the BNC inputs. If that's the case, all you need are some BNC/RCA adaptors and a set of Wii component cables.
>>
>>2940581
Wii component cables, RCA female to male BNC. That should set you up for some good gaming.
>>
>>2940590
>>2940591
ok thanks
ill post some pictures when i get it all set up
>>
>>2940590
i found a pvm on craigslist but it doesnt have 'component/rgb' what kind of adapters do i need for it? sorry but i cant find any info online about the smaller pvms without component/rgb
>>
>>2940657
Does it do S-video? That would be your next best bet, in which case you can just find some official Wii s-video cables. If it can't even do that, you're down to component, which will require just one of those BNC/RCA adapters. But if you're gonna get a PVM, you should strive for something RGB/component capable. That's the whole point, really.
>>
>>2940672
>you're down to component
fuck, composite, I meant.
>>
>>2940672
>>2940681
alright i see
ty
this thread is a godsend
>>
>>2940372
Output 240p. Not 480i. You won't need a scanline filter.
>>
>>2940657
I wouldn't bother with a PVM without RGB unless it was very cheap.
>>
hey crt what's the largest rgb tv I can get?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAH.png (3MB, 1250x929px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAH.png
3MB, 1250x929px
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>2940823
RGB? 40" mitsubishi am-4201r

Unless europe has something that size with scart
>>
if my tv has a shared component,composite and s-video input can I hook multiple systems to it and run the audio cables through a switcher? or will having the other cables connected mess with the video signal?
>>
File: phillips switch.jpg (328KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
phillips switch.jpg
328KB, 1600x1200px
can, i hook up up my systems s-video through this switch and run component to the tv?
>>
>>2941083

No; the output must match the input.
>>
File: 1412348745597.jpg (732KB, 2460x1755px) Image search: [Google]
1412348745597.jpg
732KB, 2460x1755px
>>2940823
>>2940840
No, but Japan does.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-24-21-39-18.png (266KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-24-21-39-18.png
266KB, 1080x1920px
>>2941187
>210kg
Shiiiiit. I thought the HDM-3830 was heavy but that broke my back just thinking about it.

You win man. You win.
>>
>>2941149
okay, thanks.
>>
is there a term for crt tvs that use S-video?
like a way of easily identifying if it has s-video by look or a simple word

i cant get a pvm 20 for less than 200 so i figure the next best thing is a decent tv that can at least input s-video
>>
>>2941239
all the trinitron WEGAs should have s-video (and component) inputs. I've never seen one that doesn't have these
>>
File: 20160122_173318.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_173318.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Anybody know what type of input is on this monitor?
Never seen it before to be honest.
>>
>>2941304
Vtr I believe, some do rgb and some don't but I'd assume that does since its labeled rgb. Not sure if it would be 15kz tho
>>
>>2941214
Wish that Swedish dude would finish that review. It doesn't seem to be very good for anything other than 1080i tho
>>
>>2941273
My nigga. I got a Triniton 36" (Speaking of heavy TVs. Lugging this thing around was beastly) and the video on its is beautiful. I know PVM edges it out but I would also argue by only slightly when you got a converted RGB video signal feeding into this mutha.
>>
>>2939154
Like the other anon just said, you just got an upscaler specifically to run on a HDTV right?

Thats was peeps use specifically when they want to run their retro on HDTVs and don't want to bother with a huge CRT.

However man, if you must roll with a CRT check the longpost.
>>
File: ididit.png (158KB, 668x960px) Image search: [Google]
ididit.png
158KB, 668x960px
>>2941149
ordered this stuff. seemed like a decent deal. should be alright eh?
>>
>>2941521
That PS S-Video cable is going to be complete shit. You need properly shielded ones, and for that price that one is not going to be. Or so i'd guess. Read the S-Video pasta in the OP.

>>2941418
>that rounded beige plastic
>composite input right next door
It'll be 15kHz for sure. Is it an old Commodore monitor or something?
>>
so I have a 20F1U for 240p and retro consoles but whats a good rgb crt for ps2/gamecube/ xbox?
>>
Also I tend to get my bvm "overloading" once a month. I have to usually take out cards from the back and put them back in. What's the cause of this and how do i fix it completely?
>>
>>2941595
>overloading
what does that mean, here? What happens?

Older BVM's, and possibly some newer ones, have an overload warning light, that lets you know when the set thinks the signal you're feeding it (either raw or due to high brightness/contrast) is too strong. Mine overloads on a bright white screen, but it's just a warning light. It's not very often you get a plain white screen and full brightness, and it never lasts long, and the phosphors are going slightly dim so without things set high the set isn't very useable.
>>
>>2941608
yea its that overload light but when that light comes on the whole thing shuts off and refuses to turn on again until I take out the cards and put them back in.
>>
>>2941616
Ok, i'm not getting that second part. On mine the light comes on and that's it. But as I said, i'm not overloading it by much, or very often.

Does yours trigger the same way, i.e. when you push too bright an image? Does it trigger instantly? Can you turn the settings down?

After that, it's not a problem i'm familiar with.

How on earth did you think to take the input cards out and slot then in again?
>>
>>2941630
honestly I just tried anything to get it back on and that's what always works. What's the optimal brightness for the unit? I honestly got it a year ago and still not sure about settings for it.
>>
>>2941591
20D1FU.
>>
>>2941589
It is shielded, its old overstock. They were more expensive new. If it's crap it was only a few bucks. It was a choice between the good snes cable and the cheap ps1 cable or the other way around. Decisions were made.
>>
>>2941640
Optimal settings depend on the picture you're showing, and the age and condition of the set.

So... the answers to the other questions I asked were all "yes"?

>>2941649
Fair enough then :)
>>
how can i find out if my consumer tv has adjustable convergence? it seems off in the lower right corner
>>
>>2941796
Google its model number and "service menu"
>>
So, PVMs like the HR Trinitrons have superior comb filters to consumer CRTs, correct? Is there anything special/different about the comb filters in PVMs?
>>
>>2941802
i haved a pdf of the service manual and it doesn't appear to have anything marked "convergence" but has something about adjusting the piece on the back of the tube.
>>
>>2941589
It might be Digital RGB which some older computers output.
>>
File: IMG_20160124_184238.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_184238.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
The eBay store retro gaming accessories only has 4 items again. Does she often close up shop like this?
I'm hoping to buy MD and Saturn scart and a scart to BNC converter from them soon.

Also, anyone know the native res for this TV? Hoping it's capable of 240p
>>
>>2941928
Anything that isn't HD can do 240p
>>
>>2941956
That's what I meant, I can't for the life of me find any information on if its HD or SD. The manual doesn't mention anything that I could see.
>>
>>2941972
Looks like an SD model to me.
>>
>>2941641
It's a multi format correct?
>>
>>2942018
I'll try it out. It would be good if it is. It's flat screen if that makes a difference or indicates res
>>
>>2942031
>20D1FU
D20F1U/A/E? I think the D20F5 sets might be the ones with the integrated controls beneath, and the D20F1 looks like the PVM-20L5. Can anyone confirm that?

Either way those sets are multiformat.
>>
>>2941928
480i, the cp series are sd analog tv's. some of the last ones made iirc. I believe they only have composite and component inputs though. the older ds series has s-video as well.
>>
>>2942563
Component is pretty good though. I think it had s-vid too, but I'll need to take a better look.

Than you so much for the help!
>>
>>2942614
it is but ps2 is the earliest system that has native support. you will need to go scart>converter>component cable to make it wo and that can get expensive, can you post a pic of the rear inputs?.
>>
>>2942625
Yeah, but I already need to get a Scart to BNC converter for my pvm, I might get scart to component as well.

I'll post a pic of the inputs when I get a chance.
>>
>>2942651
pvm, faancy. sweet since there is so little info on older crt tv's other than trinitrons i am trying to make a list of decent ones and the inputs available.
>>
>>2942656
thats great but it wont be much more than sony pvms bvms and wegas
>>
I want to get an HDMI source (raspberry pi or basic PC or something) onto my PVM though RGBSync. Does anyone know any downscaler that'll do a proper job of it?

Bonus if it'll just do a straight 480p passthru.
>>
that excessively expensive SCART splitter is up for pre-order, in case anyone was waiting to buy one. https://squareup.com/market/retrorgb/gscartsw-v-pre-order
>>
>>2943201
The simultaneous SCART/VGA out is a nice touch but too pricey for me.
>>
>>2942180
BVM-D20F1 does not have built-in controls and does require an external remote, correct.
It looks relatively similar to the PVM-20L5 from the front, but not exactly the same.
>>
>>2943201
I was following it when he said it would be about a hundred bananas...

I ordered a 16 input BNC matrix switcher instead for 25 bucks... Handles any signal at any resolution at any refresh rate.

Twenty-five bucks for a switch that does more. The only thing it doesn't have it's a sync cleaner, which I don't need and would only be a few bucks to add.

Don't buy that scam switch...
>>
>>2943226
Well, It's not too surprising a BNC switch is cheaper than a SCART switch.
What's your setup for connecting your consoles to the BNC switch?
>>
Can anyone tell me about VMC-3P cables? Can I make any use of it on PVM that only supports that or Composite over BNC?
>>
>>2943241
Building on this. Could I use a VTR to transcode YPbPr into the VMC format?
>>
File: 31608SML[1].jpg (34KB, 350x277px) Image search: [Google]
31608SML[1].jpg
34KB, 350x277px
>>2943234
>It's not too surprising a BNC switch is cheaper than a SCART switch
i'd like to know your reasoning for thinking this. hell, the bnc connectors alone are worth more than components in his switch.

anyways, since i already had all the scart cables (that i either bought or made) for each console AND i had 20 female scart connectors i simply built a bunch of female scart->bnc cables with audio breakouts to 5pos screw terms
>>
File: 20160125_130332.jpg (226KB, 498x750px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_130332.jpg
226KB, 498x750px
>>2943313
>female scart->bnc
only took like fifteen minutes per cable.
i used a super heavy duty VGA cable cut into 10" lenghts
>>
>>2943313
As I understood it, BNC is identical to RCA, just with a different connector (and you can buy BNC/RCA adapters in bulk for cheap). SCART never made it stateside, so there aren't a lot of options. I may very well be wrong, though.

>i had 20 female scart connectors i simply built a bunch of female scart->bnc cables with audio breakouts to 5pos screw terms
Right, so that should kinda be added to the price of your setup in some way. Most people don't have 20 female SCART adapters sitting around.

Not really defending that absurdly expensive SCART switch, but the $50 5-way SCART switch I bought makes a lot more sense for my setup than a $25 BNC switch would.
>>
>>2943340
>added to the price of your setup
i only used them because i had them, not necessary.

i understand it's not a setup for people that want out-of-the-box usage. i really enjoy soldering so it was more of an excuse to sit at my bench away from the wife and kids for a few hours. plus, again, i have all the components to do so.
>>
>>2943426
>i only used them because i had them, not necessary.
I'm curious how else you'd do it. It'd need to be custom console-to-BNC cables, right?
>>
>>2943436
first i was going to use the scart cables i already had for their proprietary console-side plugs, then wire to bnc. (then i'd have a bunch of spare male scart connectors, this is how you collect things)

but i'm lazy and didn't want a tumor of caps/resistors inline with the cable (since no scart shell to hide them in)

maybe some day down the line i'll just add the components in the consoles and add rca jacks but, again, i'm lazy. my setup is good to go until i feel autistic enough to change it.

and no, i'm not the free 20l5 guy that pushes adding rca jacks to everything
>>
>>2943241
>>2943269
Nevermind. Even if you have a VTR with YPbPr input and a VMC-3P output, it would be useless to feed it into the monitor over VMC-3P as it only carries a 1Vp-p composite signal.

That was an interesting little journey I just went down.
>>
>>2943443
Do you notice any quality signal degradation with your current method. Also I notice in your pic it looks like you're using some thinner gauge wire for the sync signal and ground? Works fine?
>>
File: 1405569253437.jpg (274KB, 1200x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1405569253437.jpg
274KB, 1200x1007px
>>2929204
To buy or not to buy a ProFeel Pro? (KX-21HVS)

Seller says it turns on but does not function.

Could it likely be repaired? Not sure if I want to shell out the hundreds of Canadollars for it when it needs to be repaired... But it is my personal holy grail for a CRT
>>
>>2943572
>ProFeel Pro

Prob not worth it if it's $100+ and not working, where in Canada if I may ask?
>>
>>2942908
I'm just doing consumer tv's you can find at thrift stores and classified ads. Some of the sanyos look okay, mitsubishi made decent sets as well, There are gamers in ak,hi, and rural canada that have no hopes of receiving a p/bvm in one piece. if they could afford the shipping.
>>
>>2929681
Imagine the spider problem...
>>
>>2943623
I'm Calgary, AB.

Seller wants $155 but it would need to be shipped here as well (a whole other nightmare on its own for a 21" CRT I'd imagine)
>>
>>2943234
These>>2943313just happend to be a lucky cheap find I managed to be the other buyer there were two for $25 each. Most 16x8 matrices tend to sell for close to the $150 to $250 depending on brand and seller so the scart switch >>2943201 isnt overly pricey especially for a custom piece that is also new. I was waiting around for it for the longest time but got tired of waiting and found the matrix to be a cheaper alternative even if It doesnt have direct VGA out, but i could easily get a RGBs to VGA adapter for the sake of video capture to a PC if need be, or maybe even find a capture device that accepts RGBs.
>>
>>2943634

Can you post a link to the listing?

Misterdude on youtube grabbed a bigger one and that just needed a bunch of caps replaced but it still had a wavy picture issue, but was free AFAIK
>>
>>2943653
Yeah for sure, looking at this:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/d175451311
>>
On a different note the BNC splitter i bought came today, and it works perfectly for what i need. No signal loss that i can see anyway. (Its being used to send to different sync signals, not simultaneously, to the sync IN on a BVM.
>>
>>2943625
id be interesting in seeing the list
id love to have more optionsbut its so hard to find info

i think id be fine with a nice flat tv with s-video but in online searches its hard to specify that it has to have s-video or component

so im pretty much forced to go with sony wegas or pvms

id be very interested in a list of some common consumer crts with an s-video or component input
>>
>>2943661
yeah $150 cad plus shipping and also proxy fee's and then it's not even working. I'd pass for sure.
>>
guys is an 8 inch pvm too small for me even if i keep it at my desk?
>>
>>2943712
Yeah that's the thing, I can't imagine the shipping would check in at anything short of triple the asking price for the unit (which may or may not be completely shot, although I doubt it.)

I want one of those units so badly though.
>>
>>2943546
>signal degradation
nope (although i'm currently using a 8 input switch, the 16 comes in wednesday)
>thinner gauge wire for the sync
no issues, that's actually one of the sync lines used in the heavy duty vga cable. i was really glad i found such a heavy shielded cable to use, and at 10 feet in length i had enough to do a bunch of cables.

the rgb lines are separately shielded coax too.
>>
>>2943720
for that kind of money just go xrgb or some sort of linedoubler with a pc crt. But I would keep any eye on kijiji, maybe even in BC too.
>>
>>2943675
I need more data and to organize it but most sanyo,toshiba,panasonic flat crt over 20" have the s-video jack. mitsubishi sets usually have them as well but aren't flat screens.
>>
>>2943201
Its a lovely piece of kit but it's just so pricey. I've got two Mad Catz RGB Scart Switchers I picked up for £15 each and while they don't autoswitch they are completely isolated and pass through all pins properly.

If you can ever find one I suggest snagging them up.
>>
>>2943809
im just imagining a big google spreadsheet full of different tiers and categories of crt tvs sorted by inputs and size

pls do it anon
>>
>>2943741
That's good to hear, I picked up a crosspoint 300 unit (16 input, 16 output) not long ago locally and want to make some cables for it and output to all my crt's/upscalers etc.

Kind of in the same situation as you and want to make custom (ex. snes plug to bnc) cables for all my consoles for use with the crosspoint. So best way to go is straight console input to bnc cable with any caps/resistors in the actual console?

I also plan to run audio completely separately to cut down on any hum/interference and wire up all the smaller gauge unused wires to the copper jacket for some extra shielding.
>>
hey guys can the sony bvms with vga inputs plug into vga graphics cards and still get 15khz?
>>
>>2943862
If you output 15khz
>>
>>2943862
BVMs don't have any input cards with VGA connectors. Those are remote I/Os and are DB9s, not 15 pin VGA connectors.

Multiformat PVM and BVMs can take 480p signals but you'll need to combine H and V SYNC.
>>
No one on here would happen to have a BKM-24N laying around they dont need would they?
>>
>>2944018>>2944018
I've just tied the chroma and luma together with a 470pf cap to get composite. My GCN looks pretty great still on my BVM.

I've gone through that battle man, can't find them anywhere for a decent price.

The eBay guy refused my offer of 100 bones...
>>
File: 20160125_174100.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_174100.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
First time poster here!

I'm just looking for some feedback on this CRT I've got from my parents (Pic related). I've never own a CRT before, thus these questions:

To start off, it's a philips ultraflat Blackline-S (model number: 29PT8303/12), with a 100 Hz refresh rate. It has composite video and 2x scart ports.

- I've just started a collection of PS1 and NES games (odd combo, but stay with me!) Is this a good CRT to start out with? Or is it crap, and I should get a new one?

- I've tried it out today, and to me the picture looks fine, but if I can do better, I would like to know!
>>
>>2944091
The set i own doesnt have a NTSC decoder standard so I cant even do composite thats why i need the 24N
>>
>>2944158
Well, the picture flipped.. Sorry about that
>>
>>2943842
thats what I'm working on but info is scarce and I have a full time job and a child. I'm going to pick up my trinitron from the tv shop and see if I can't get the old timer there to help me. also reached out to youtube channels about old tv's. don't expect anything soon but I will post here as soon as I have something ready.
>>
>>2944167
im really not sure

it would look better on a pvm of course but since that tv does scart i doubt the benefit would be worth it

make sure you use scart not composite tho
>>
>>2944158
>100hz
Very much not an ideal CRT
>>
>>2944207
What are the cons? Only cons I know of are that you can't use the light gun for the NES
>>
>>2944212
movement is weird unless you can set it to 50/60hz in the menu.
>>
>>2944212
If it lags enough to not work with the NES light gun, it lags way too much.
>>
>>2943717
anyone here have experience with the 8 inchers? was it too small for you at your desk?
>>
>>2944239
What do mean by "lag"? I've tried playing my NES and my Playstation 1, and I have never played on a smoother screen before (might just be me, because I haven't played my PS1 on a CRT since I was a kid)
>>
Hey /crt/,

I have a CRT with component inputs (using a SCART -> YPbPr conversion box for my consoles, thing of beauty) but I'd like to watch movies and anime on it as well (lets say it's /vr/ related because TMNT, Godzilla and Dragonball had lots of /vr/ games)

I have a Thinkpad T500 it has a Displayport out and a VGA out and that's all I've got to work with.

It seems there are a number of ways to approach this:
VGA -> YPbPr
VGA -> SCART -> YPbPr
DisplayPort -> YPbPr
DisplayPort -> SCART -> YPbPr

How should I go about hooking these devices up? Any tips for getting the best picture quality?
>>
>>2944164
Your bvm doesn't have the stock RGBSK input? Model? They take all standards. You could also get a 20D or 21D card if you're not just looking for svideo.
>>
>>2944438
> RGBSK
Disregard that K...

RGB+Sync
>>
>>2944429
VGA->SCART->component
Does the graphics card let you output composite sync like >>2937954 ?
>>
>>2944510
Thanks! I am an Ubuntu user, I'll have to do a bit of digging (not as linux literate as I should be, have only been off of Windows for a few months now) but hopefully I can...
>>
>>2944438
The BVM 20f1u only comes standard with one YPbPr/RGBs input, it doesnt contain NTSC/PAL composite or S-Video decoders.
>>
>>2944559
I don't/can't remember the specifics of it, but you'd go about that with custom Xorg modelines.
>>
>>2944850
For some reason I thought you could input composite on the stock inputs, up to three.

The 21D will give you composite support but not svideo. Apparently the 20D only supports it if there's another decoder that can do it.

TIL, etc etc
>>
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/5419462847.html

Somebody posted about this a while back and it just popped up In my email. You can actually see the scratches now I guess he updated it. Thoughts anons? I might pick up the 1354q
>>
>>2944559
unless you have a very specific graphics card it wont be able to output 15khz
>>
>>2945037
id get the one with the scratch not the one that looks like someone took a rock to it
the scratch probably wont be too noticable when its turned on
>>
>>2940112
What are some good models to look out for?
>>
>>2945104
any models that have the RGB/composite inputs on the back (itll be 3 in a row with it saying rgb/component above or below it)

theres a horde of them that only do s-vid and composite which you dont want
>>
>>2944951
thank you but i do know all that already I specifically need the 24N its the only one that will do NTSC S-video plus i need composite but it does that as well so i dont need the 21d
>>
>>2945094
Thought the same thing. The scratches don't look too bad and are pretty far off to the side. The one with the scratch dead center is so depressing. You can see how the m is all blurry as a result
>>
>>2945037
>>2945094
>>2945149
That scratch will be VERY noticeable on anything with a light background. Trust me, I know from bitter experience.

Hold out anonymous. You'll find something better and cheaper. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and alerts aplenty.
>>
>>2945221
I'll follow your advice just as I hope others might follow mine. However that 1354q doe
>>
>>2945083
I'm pretty sure most can. You just need different methods.
>>
File: e.jpg (220KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
220KB, 1600x1066px
>>2945112
How is a sony pvm 20m4u? I was looking at monitors on ebay... don't really care that they're hundreds of dollars and probably over priced, I just want one. The seller notes that "SD/SDI IN Option" what exactly does he mean by this?

I see that it has RGB on the back, so I assume this will work great for retro gaming. How will it fare with higher res stuff, like playstation, and ps2/wii? Will this one work good with that?

For $600usd, could I be doing a lot better? I don't need to be told 'just use craigslist' yeah, I know, but I live in canada, and its pretty much a barren wasteland here in terms of acquiring these types of industrial monitors. And this is the guy who also spent like $550 on a framemeister + cables, so yeah, I just want to have as many options as possible.
>>
>>2945801
Where in Canada?
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>2945882

YELLOW WIZARD GAINED A LEVEL
>>2945882

FOOD IS GOOD
>>2945882

USE KEYS TO OPEN DOORS AND CHESTS
>>2945882

USE MAGIC TO KILL DEATH
>>2945882
>>
>>2945801
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 20m4u doesn't display in 480p, something you would want if you plan on playing ps2 and wii games. Try shooting for a multiformat pvm as they run more expensive but can display in 480p
Thread posts: 510
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.