[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1st gen gaming thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: Magnavox-Odyssey-publi.jpg (57KB, 742x531px) Image search: [Google]
Magnavox-Odyssey-publi.jpg
57KB, 742x531px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QF8-0gcULc

Why does nobody talk about the greatest generation of gaming with the purest gameplay experience?

I guess you are all casual normies who think crash bandicoot is retro.

What is your favorite system and game in the 1st gen?
>>
>>2927442
>and game in the 1st gen?
That's where all problems begin.
>>
I sure love pong.
>>
Does Spacewar count?
>>
File: Dnd8.png (50KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
Dnd8.png
50KB, 325x325px
In 1975, as in today, general-purpose computers were home to the best games.
>>
I have an Odyssey 200. It's really weird to play. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to give you control of the ball.
>>
>>2927442

Other than the table tennis game (which predates pong) and its variations like hockey, I do not consider the odyssey to be a video game system. There was no actual unique game code or graphics in its other games, and without the screen overlay it was just 2 lights that you moved around and projected whatever you wanted onto it.. As long as you had the overlays you could play all the other games with one cartridge.

Also magnavox was completely defunct as a company, and did nothing for the industry afterwards other than patent troll.

Now, Spacewar! on the other hand is something else. That thing was a full 2 decades ahead of its time. You wouldn't really have anything that moved past it at the home console level until the third generation. And even compared to the golden era of arcades which didn't really go on to create genres, Spacewar! introduced the arena action versus game, which has things like senko no ronde as a successor, or virtual-on from a 3d perspective.
>>
>>2927442
>system
>1st gen

The reason nobody really talks about 1st gen is because it was single-game hardware. Game "systems" as we know them didn't really exist until the 2nd gen.
>>
>>2927506
Those types of games are not really videogames. In fact anything with too much reading and too little reaction, even some RPGs shouldn't be considered videogames.
>>
MUTHA FACKING PONG
>>
>>2927628

>it was just 2 lights that you moved around and projected whatever you wanted onto it

That's exactly what an interactive video game is.
Imagine the reaction back THEN

>HOLY SHIT I CAN CONTROL THE DOTS ON THE SCREEN BY MYSELF THIS SO AMAZING!!!!
>>
>>2927710
aged badly though desu, senpai
>>
>>2927506
In 1975, as in today, WRPGs were home to the most generic and uninspired stories.
>>
>>2927697
more like spreadsheet simulators
>>
>>2927710

But it's not. A game needs to have game rules. Anyone having played Spacewar! which came out a decade prior would have scoffed at the ody since it was literally poorly controlling board game piece movers.

Take 2 flashlights under printed cellophane, is that a video game to you?
>>
>>2927831
there is no "video" in that recipe, chief. try again.
>>
>>2927837

Yeah so? Unless you're going to pull some extreme relativism and say "if you can move a light on TV it's a game :^)" .
>>
>>2927746
But video games don't age remember?
>>
>>2927852
>what is emergent gameplay
you can make a game out of moving lights on the tv. a primitive game, but game none the less. little army men toys don't do anything until you make a game with them, either.
>>
>>2927697
>Those types of games are not really videogames

It's a game, it's on video. It's a video game. If it's not a video game, then it would also not be a game.

>even some RPGs shouldn't be considered videogames

Role Playing Game, looks like a game to me however you put it.
>>
>>2927697
do you have an argument to back up your idiocy?
>>
File: Dracula2_small.jpg (328KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula2_small.jpg
328KB, 600x800px
>>2927914
What is a game?
>>
>>2927982
A miserable little pile of coding!
>>
>>2927710
That system was a piece of shit invented by a conniving Jew who then tried to sue Atari who made an actual vidya system (go figure). It's not a video game system, it's two lights on a screen. You could make up better games with sticks and stones in your backyard.
>>
>>2928057
>Jew who then tried to sue Atari who made an actual vidya system
He also sued Nintendo and a bunch of other companies. And he was proud of it.
http://www.pong-story.com/inventor.htm
>>
>>2927914
What seems like thousands of times I have had to explain on the internet, you cannot break down words/terms and expect that you can just build up the word from it. If that were the case then playing charades over video would be a videogame.

You can't say a penalty kick in football/soccer is a "kick" and it was given as a "penalty", "therefore it's a penalty kick". You can't say there was a "touchdown" in American football because "hurrr durrr, he touched the ball on the ground".

Such unbelievable faggotry.

A videogame in the normal common understood meaning of the term is about playing in front of a screen that demands something from the player and there's interaction. It also helps a lot if it's not all textual, because otherwise it's more like CYOA or pen and paper style RPGs. I doubt anyone would consider a quiz or an IRC roleplay as playing a videogame.
>>
>>2927898

I'd argue that without in-game rules, it fails to actually be a video game. Army men isn't a game, it's toys. You make the game from them, which requires rules, which the odyssey does not have.
>>
>>2927710
What really killed the magnavox was the price tag, the engineers intended to sell it for $100 but the executives priced it at $500. It was a big fat scam.
>>
>>2928067
>To qualify as a video game, you have to have to pass one major test: Can you play the game on a standard home TV set or a TV monitor ?
I guess Arcade games aren't games
>>
>>2928583
Rules were implied with the different overlays.
>>
>>2928853
You can play arcade games on a TV with a supergun or similar.
Handhelds might be a question. GB can be played via SGB or GPB but do GG or Lynx qualify as TV monitors due to the TV receiver?
The other stuff is more dubious. Like something isn't a game because it isn't patented or commercialized. Steve Russel (who wasn't the first to make a game for a digital computer but probably the first to make one that was could be played and ported on various machines) didn't do that either, he was proud that others copied and modified his game or developed games of their own.
>>
>>2928882

Overlays aren't in-game. That's like keeping score by marking tallies on some scratch paper.
>>
>>2928954
>But the rulebook isn't on the field in sports. It's like keeping score on some kind of board.
See how stupid this logic is?
>>
>>2927710
The 2 was good....Pick Axe Pete
>>
>>2929538
It is on field when you're playing competitively, because you have a referee on field who enforces the rules.
>>
First gen should not even qualify, in my opinion. It's missing the ability to play arbitrary-styled games from removable media of some type, which should be one of the basic requirements for being designated a "videogame console".
>>
File: imgres.jpg (20KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
20KB, 300x168px
>>2927442

Documentary on the first video game console.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44i4LQbCIzM
>>
>>2929889
I guess all pickup games don't count, then. I guess all those people playing poker or bridge are just them shuffling cards around.
>>
>>2929895
I hope Ralph Baer emerges from his grave to strangle you in your sleep.
>>
>>2930416
Fuck that Jewish asshole, taking all the credit.
>>
>>2929615

Oh I loved Pick Axe Pete. I was in preschool but I still remember playing the hell out of it. The Odyssey 2 was my parents' system and I played that until we got the ColecoVision.

I also liked Monkeyshines as a 2-player game.

Unfortunately, we left the cartridges in my Mom's car and they all melted.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.