[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets try to keep it retro. Like between Dragon Quest 1 NES and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

File: xQ1RoVt.png (167KB, 808x351px) Image search: [Google]
xQ1RoVt.png
167KB, 808x351px
Lets try to keep it retro. Like between Dragon Quest 1 NES and Dragon Quest 1 SNES.
>>
Isn't the GB version of DQ1 harder than both the NES and SNES versions?
>>
>>2923285
No, the GBC version as the same as the SNES version gameplay wise.
>>
>grind
>defeat miniboss
>optional collect/return princess
>grind
collect 3 objects
>grind
>defeat boss
they're both shit games
>>
>>2923491
Is 3 much better?

I didn't think 1 and 2 were terrible per se, but the grinding is so tedious that I didn't bother playing any of the rest
>>
>>2923491
DQ1 is one of the worst aged games out there.
>>
>>2923497
I actually preferred DQ1 to DQ4. Both are inferior to others like 3 and 5 but I think DQ1 still holds an odd charm through its simplicity and lone exploration, at least if you're playing the GBC remake and not the NES one.
>>
>>2923491
>One of the first JRPG
>Complaining they didn't yet understand level balancing
They were just trying to combine Wizardry and Ultima. Hell even they said they fucked up on Dragon Quest 2 because they rushed it out.
>>2923496
Dragon Quest 3 is actually amazing at how much refinement can work for your advantage. You don't even need to really grind if you play it right (don't look up maps so you have to find your own way in the dungeons). DQ1 and 2 are "bad" because they were just trying to do something new at the time. With 1 not really understanding level balancing and 2 not really a good job at explaining where to go (seriously finding those crests was a fucking pain).
>>
File: 533001-phanstar002.png (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
533001-phanstar002.png
32KB, 640x480px
>>2923635
>trying to copy wizardry
>doesn't even have first person dungeons
lmfao dragon quest are you even trying?
pic related did a much better job at combining wizardry+ultima desu
>>
>>2923497

This doesn't make sense. If you don't like it now, you wouldn't have liked it back then either. It didn't "age". There are many people who have played the game recently and enjoy the game as it is, and likewise, they would have enjoyed it if they played it back then.
>>
How is the PS1 version of FF1? I played the original and liked it a lot, so the game itself obviously isn't a problem for me. Are there load times?
>>
>>2923665
Play the GBA version, it's the PS1 game without load times and a less autistic magic system
>>
>>2923569
>Both are inferior to others like 3 and 5
Well that's just your opinion. Dragon Quest IV is a great game if you play any of the remakes.
>>
>>2923676

>less autistic magic system

Why?

I've been looking at screenshots and listening to the music and I've found that I prefer the PS1 version in both instances. Do the load times and magic system weigh out those personal preferences I have?
>>
>>2923665
PS1 version is often considered the best version there is. The load time issue is only in the later PS1 FF ports.

Also to consider are the GBA and PSP versions. They have bonus dungeons and use the more modern MP magic system. However, the GBA version is locked to PS1's easy mode.
>>
>>2923665
PSX version of FF1 (on normal) is basically the NES just with the bug fixes. Which I feel is how it should be played.
>>2923676
God no. I fucking hate how much they made it easy.
>change target if an enemy dies
>MP
>Massive gold and EXP
Fuck all versions of FF1 past PSX.
>>
>>2923683
>>2923689

Okay, sweet. I'll play that version. Like I said, I already beat the original, but my girlfriend and I like to play games together and she wants to play FF1 and I'd like to have a slightly different experience while still keeping the gameplay of the original; so no easy mode or MP for me. Thanks!
>>
>>2923262
>Lets try to keep it retro
Remakes of retro games on non-retro systems are fair game to talk about on /vr/ you know.
>>
>>2923665
>Are there load times?

The only FF game with load time problems is the 6/Chrono Trigger disc. Every other version is fine, and even 6/CT's load times are drastically reduced if you're playing it on a PS2/3.

That all said, yes, Final Fantasy Origins is the best version of the original, and the GBA version is probably the worst due to it trivializing the difficulty and eschewing Vancian magic for straight up MP.
>>
>>2923692
>playing the worst version
jesus christ
>>
>>2923692
Yeah to me PSX of FF1 on normal is the best way to experience it. I'm actually sad how every version past PSX forces you in easy mode. I don't understand why they don't allow it.
>>2923704
That's not the mobile version
>>
>>2923704
>>2923676

Please stop posting if you don't actually know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2923665
>How is the PS1 version of FF1?

This is the definitive version of the game, in my opinion. It mostly preserves the balance of the NES version, but fixes numerous bugs while retrofitting a few others. The inventory system is expanded to allow you to hoard every item in the game, whereas the original gave each character 8 restrictive equipment slots that could be used to mule around a very limited quantity of gear.

Note that PS1 has an optional easy mode, as well. This mode makes equipment and spells substantially cheaper, tones down enemy stats and allows your characters to gain twice as many levels, Easy mode just sucks the soul out of the game.

I'd avoid the GBA and PSP ports, as these are based on the aforementioned easy mode. The game's difficulty becomes so watered down that it's no longer enjoyable. The post-game content introduced in the GBA version feels incredibly shoehorned and out of place, and the encounter rate has been beefed up so high that you'll be thrust into random battles every 5 or 6 steps.
>>
>>2923717
You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about famfam
>>
>>2923706
>That's not the mobile version
The smartphone version or the Namco version that no one knows?
>>
>>2923720
you keep talking about easy mode like it's a bad thing, but that just makes me want to play the gba version
I just want to get through the early games quickly so I can get to the masterpieces 5, 6, and 7 that I'm always hearing so much about
>>
>>2923661
There's always one who gets triggered...
>>
>>2923751

If you want to suffer through the tedium of literally thousands of random battles from start to finish as you plow your way through monotonous and unchallenging enemy formations, then the GBA version is for you.

I'm not exaggerating in the least on the estimated number of random battles you'll be dealing with in that version. Most of your play time is going to be wasted on escape attempts. Get used to seeing the battle interface load, promptly followed by your party making attempts to flee, because that image is going to be burned into your retinas for years to come.

>I just want to get through the early games quickly

If you have no serious interest in these games, then why are you even investing in them? You may as well GameShark your way through the games and deactivate random battles altogether.
>>
>>2923676
The gba version is heavily neutered to the point where it's questionable. It's mash a, the rpg. Not the worst port, but it really isn't that great
>>
Everyone's got strong opinions on the FF ports, but in reality most of them just have different sets of pros and cons, with no single version being the objective best.

For FFI in particular, it goes like this:

>PSX
+ difficulty selection, easy or original
+ FMVs
+- original magic system, a pro or con depending on preference

>GBA
+ new bonus dungeons
+ save anywhere
+ better item system, with more slots, more healing items (like phoenix down), and enemy item drops
+ some rebalancing tweaks to classes
+- MP-based magic system, a pro or con depending on preference
- no difficulty selection, takes elements from PSX's easy mode but isn't as easy (many monsters have increased HP, for example)

>PSP
+ retains the GBA features such as saving anywhere, item system, and balance tweaks
+ retains GBA bonus dungeons plus one more, adds new music to the bonus dungeons
+ FMVs
+ bonus art gallery
+- MP-based magic system
+- high-res graphics with fancy spell effects (retro graphic lovers may not prefer this)
- no difficulty selection, same difficulty and balance tweaks as GBA
>>
>>2923778
because my autism forces me to play them in order
>>
>>2923789
The original magic system is restricting, but the MP system is broken in terms of balance.
>>
>>2923789
Something everyone seems to forget is that the PSX version also has a treasure list.
So when you're going through a dungeon it will show you the number of chests in the dungeon and if you've collected it or not.
>>
>>2923803
This is NOT available on the GBA version for some reason.
>>
>>2923789

Have you even played the PS1 version? You're leaving a number of things out.

>Has the same inventory system as the GBA version
>The Thief / Ninja class was statistically rebalanced to make the character more usable
>Has bonus galleries and other unlockables that the GBA version does not
>Actually shows you how many treasures are in each dungeon, and which ones you've collected (including total treasure percentage for the entire game)
>Can tweak new features off or on depending on preference, such as support for Life in battle, or being able to use the dash button

Also, on the PSP version
>+- high-res graphics with fancy spell effects (retro graphic lovers may not prefer this)

These "high res" graphics are greatly mismatched. Enemy bitmaps are poorly scaled, and some of them are apparently scaled by different algorithms, resulting in them appearing more blurry than others. This is an issue that plagues the other 2D FF ports on PSP as well.
>>
>>2923824
Those are fair points to add to the list that I forgot, so thanks. I'm wasn't leaving them out on purpose or anythjng, just typing this out while bored at work and forgetting old details.

Ultimately, though, they're extra features that some people can live without, which feeds back into my overall point that it's up to personal preference which version is best. Personally I like the GBA version, but that's just me. The PSX version offers a more classic experience, which suits some people but not others.
>>
The problem with FF1 GBA onward is that they took out the option of picking the mode. Some people want to play like how the NES was but with bug fixes and maybe added bonus stuff like a dungeon. But instead we are forced to play a gimpped version where you can win 99% of the time with just holding A. While in the NES/PSX you had to plan out attacks and wonder what spells you should cast because of the charges. I mean the NES/PSX is still easy as fuck but there is some thought in playing it unlike the newer versions.
>>
>>2923824
>or being able to use the dash button
I never understood why there's a choice to completely turn it off. In what situation would a dash button be a negative?
>>
>>2923919
>I mean the NES/PSX is still easy as fuck but there is some thought in playing it unlike the newer versions.

I disagree. I've been playing RPGs all my life, so I'm quite good at them, and I still say FF1 is very hard during certain points, especially when it comes to facing enemies who can hitstun you to death or cast instadeath spells before you have a chance to do a single thing.
>>
>>2923971

There are probably people who want an experience as close to the original as possible without actually playing the original.
>>
>>2923262
ITT fake retro gamers complaining about grinding.
>pathetic
>>
>>2924104
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but just because it isn't explicitly stated in the rules doesn't mean it's not okay. I've seen plenty of discussions about originals vs. modern remakes and mods have said that it's okay.

I'd say that talking about just the remake would probably be considered breaking the rules, but in the context of comparing them to the originals, it's still a 'retro discussion'.
>>
/vr/ The board where people will go into long winded arguments about how video games don't age, then tell you to play the modernized re-make.
>>
>>2924397
right, because /vr/ is one person
>>
>>2924397
And you're not making the thread better with your "observations"
>>
>>2924397
The aging meme.
>>
>>2924397
Just ignore them and just talk about the topic.
>>
>>2924415
code for "It's not easy/ADD/instantly-gratifying enough"
>>
DQ1 is kind of a grind but that's somewhat offset by how short it is. Also you literally can't lose besides wasting a little bit of gold, as long as you keep going you will win eventually. Play it on emulator at twice speed with fast forward, you'll be done in 2 hours.
>>
I wish that games like Dragon Quest and Mother could have remakes that made them more of a challenge. And not just more of a grind either. The two games just don't put much forward in terms of actual interest, beyond of course the world and characters and music. I'd hope for more interesting/engaging battles or something.
>>
the Mega Drive versions of Mega Man 1 2 3 were pretty well done
>>
>>2924104
Yes. Because there totally hasn't been several discussions about remakes of games on newer systems that were A-OK by the mods.

Don't be a retard.
>>
>>2923789
>high-res graphics
You mean generic RPG Maker graphics
>>
>>2923497
that's not true. at all.
>>
>>2924682
to go down the stairs, you had to open a menu and select STAIRS
to open chest, you open the menu and select CHEST
>>
>>2923497
I really liked that game, just played and finished it for the first time this summer. It's simplicity was very soothing. I wouldn't say it aged well however.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>2924613
you're thinking of the ios ports
>>
>>2925036
Not at all, though the mobile versions are indeed worse.
>>
>>2925036
>female white mage
Not in my FF1.
>>
>>2923656
You're kind of stupid, aren't you?
>>
>>2923689
>God no. I fucking hate how much they made it easy.
>>change target if an enemy dies
You know there's an option in the system of the PSX version that allows you to turn off the swing at nothing failure of programming, right?
>>
>>2926742
But that's kind of the thing. There's the option if you want it or not. GBA onward never gives you a choice in which game style you want. PSX gives you the option of playing a much more easier version or more true to the NES version.
>>
>>2923665
Fuck what everyone says about the PS1 version
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631
Know this patch and love this patch. Best way to play FF1 period.
>>
>>2927547
Oh, it has a retranslation. That;'s nice. If there is a seprate retranlation patch thatr would be cool, but I'd rather deal with CAPITAL LETTERS and ORBS than those other poofter changes.
>>
>>2927547

That patch makes too many arbitrary changes, like a thinner and uglier font, redesigned menus and a different title screen, and translation errors (no, it's not more accurate than the original translation)

There's a patch somewhere for just the bugfixes, and you can probably find another to decensor the graphics as well.

And why are you linking to RHDN of all places? You have to register for their shitty message board before the site will allow you to download anything now.
>>
>>2923778
You, sir, are full of shit. I've played PSP remake and the original in parallel and can say that encounter rate in the original is far worse.
>>
>>2925242
It's a guy with long hair :^)
>>
>>2927834
Jesus, you're right; when the fuck did they do that? I just downloaded shit from there like a month ago.
>>
>>2925036
>black mage
>not two monks, warrior, white mage
Hell if you want a challenge that bad just erase the white mage completely. You need one.
>>
>>2928913
In the original art, it is. FF1 was a manly game with no girls allowed before remakes.
>>
>>2929096

They say there's no recourse against false-positives, but I'm pretty sure that's just them talking out their collective asses. Being too lazy to navigate the Googlocracy does not mean that there is no recourse. It means you just can't be arsed to utilize said recourse.

Not to mention that if everything they say is true the sanest course of action is just to completely ignore Google's garbage and slap up a notice telling users how to disable it, not mine for more fucking registrations.

Pretty sure this is the lamest excuse-riddled bullshit attempt.
>>
>>2930073
>slap up a notice telling users how to disable it
>when no one can access the site due to googlocracy
>>
>>2930017

Can you post that art? I can't find it and I'd like to see it. All I found was chibi White Mage which is still androgynous
>>
>>2924397
It can be a good game now and in the past and have a version that improved upon it.

Game A can be made 20 years ago and still be great today, but if Game B is a remake of it with some quality of life or graphical improvements and hell even some added content you're damn right that's what I'm going to suggest to people.

Doesn't make Game A any better or worse than what it is.
>>
>>2932076
I meant the sprite from the game itself. It's a manly sprite. Only the FF3 white mage sprite looks like a girl, and that's a boy.
>>
>>2932053

Put a blurb in the site description. You can't tell me it just plain doesn't fucking show up in the search results.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.