[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a thread for retro games you hated playing back in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 1450205571948.jpg (417KB, 740x725px) Image search: [Google]
1450205571948.jpg
417KB, 740x725px
This is a thread for retro games you hated playing back in the day, but upon retrying them you find you enjoy them now.

For me it is Ocarina of Time. I couldn't get past how it looked like dogshit initially and felt so sluggish in movement. Now though I can appreciate the level of subtle details in the game as well as the fun dungeons.
>>
Zelda 2. I first played it in 2004 shortly after playing a ton of Zelda 1 and loving it (on Animal Crossing GC, used Action Replay to unlock all of the NES games and proceeded to play those more than the actual game, it was what springboarded me into getting an NES a year later). Zelda 2 was really odd to me, and I didn't really understand the game at all.

It took until my 10th time (at least) trying the game to really get it, that was about October of 2012 or so. Finally beat it a few years later, and I can say it's one of my favorite Zeldas as well as one of my favorite NES games.
>>
Diddy kong racing. I got my N64 + games used back around 98 or 99 or so, and that was one of the games I received, along with Turok 2, some sports shit, and extreme G.

I played DDR, but I never really appreciated it because I wanted to own those *real* N64 games like Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT, etc. But looking back, it was a very fun and damn unique cart racer that IMO is better than MK64.

Always thought Turok 2 was baller as fuck though. Bewareoblivionisathand
>>
File: Hero-1.png (181KB, 393x215px) Image search: [Google]
Hero-1.png
181KB, 393x215px
Gotta be Dragon Warrior. That was babby's first RPG, and I tried so damn hard to love it as a kid, but it was nothing but endless frustration and annoyance for me. I remember being especially pissed off about having to go through menus just to open doors, and how frequent the battles were. Shit like that. I just didn't get how RPGs worked at the time, and didn't have the patience for them yet.

Years later, DW was the first game I ever emulated. It was definitely antiquated, but it was still enjoyable to just sit down and experience the game that really sparked off the popularity of a whole genre in motion. It's not one of my favorite games of all time or anything, but the feeling of going back and finishing something you couldn't as a kid can be a pretty great one.
>>
>>2922264
I always liked Zelda II. Even though it was a pain in the butt and I first played it on GBA, I thought it was really quirky and fun. It always feels like you have the upper-hand and have broken the system then you get to the next territory and the game is like "LOL, YOU WERE SAYING?"

The game that I first played and thought was a chore was Zelda 1. I disliked the grid-like system that impeded you from walking diagonally, that the candles can only be used once and then burn out unless you leave the screen, that there weren't any cool items, that the whole game consists of nothing but hitting things with your sword and moving unto the next place to do the game, that there's no sidequests, that you start with three hearts instead of the full bar whenever you turn on the game, that you have to grind so much just to make a few rupees.

Now it's my favorite game of all time, after Ocarina of Time. I was just being a noob and trying to conform it to my idea of later Zelda games. It's still a bit jarring to play it if you come back to it after like a year of only playing GB Zeldas, but it's the only game that really tests your reflexes and determination every time you pick it up.

I love that every Zelda game is so different.
Zelda 1: Blocky and archaic freedom.
Zelda II: Statistically in-depth fighter from the future.
ALttP: Go mad and kill bosses in seconds with OP'd magic or Dark Souls.
OoT: 3D athletic challenges at your level of expertise.
MM: Role-playing with a more mind-game focus.
>>
>>2922296

Same boat. I got dkr for Xmas when it came out and hated it because it felt slow. Couple years later I tried it again and realized I was too slow.
>>
>>2922750
I'm serious. I am replaying it now and actually enjoying it. I shat on this game for years and I will admit it now that I was wrong. In fact these anons >>2922264 >>2922683 are making me consider trying Zelda II again after I finish with Ocarina.

Why would you automatically assume I was lying?
>>
>>2922762
Ignore and report him. He's the town drunk of /v/ and /vr/. Some dunce who spends all his life on 4chan and shitposts any time someone starts a Zelda thread because he perceives it a threat to his favorite series.
>>
>>2922803
You're fighting a battle you're never going to win son.
>>
File: Valis-III-Megadrive-US.jpg (199KB, 1200x796px) Image search: [Google]
Valis-III-Megadrive-US.jpg
199KB, 1200x796px
Valis 3. I thought this was a girly piece of shit game, with sluggish controls, when I was a kid. I played it again a week ago and enjoyed it.
>>
>>2922850
what's the point of having hot chicks on the cover if you're just gonna control a tiny chubby big headed sprite?
>>
I can't think of any

I've been obsessed with games forever and I learned to understand them rather than outright hating or disliking them
>>
>>2922212
oh, is this a b8 thread? cool
super metroid is dogshit
>>
File: is it really that time again.png (43KB, 404x238px) Image search: [Google]
is it really that time again.png
43KB, 404x238px
>>2922750
>>2922803
>>2922954
you wonder why these kinds of posts always occur at the same time in the evening.
>>
>>2922762
I'm not >>2922750, but it's really weird that you'd consider a game like Ocarina of Time 'ugly' when it came out. Sure, if you put it next to Skyward Sword it doesn't look great, but it's not as if you had that kind of graphics back then.

Which games did you think look good? I'm genuinely curious. I'm not here to criticize your taste of years ago, just curious.
>>
File: breakout_small2.jpg (67KB, 310x426px) Image search: [Google]
breakout_small2.jpg
67KB, 310x426px
>>2922884
Misleading covers thread?
>>
>>2922965
Well, I never played it on the N64 back in the day. I skipped from SNES to Gamecube. On Gamecube I picked up the Zelda Collectors Edition disc for cheap at a local game store. When I tried out Ocarina and Majora I was at a complete loss when trying to understand why people liked the games at all. Now this was still like the 2nd or so game I had played on the Gamecube. I had played Luigi's Mansion first and then I tried out the Zelda collection as I was eager to experience the games I had heard such good things about. Luigi's Mansion blew me away with how smooth the circles were and the dark lighting and all. But I never really thought it was an amazing game. Not to mention it is not as if I hadn't seen better 3d at the time. I mean Toy Story came out before Ocarina, and by the time I played it I had already seen Monsters Inc. which I thought looked good for it's time. I know I am going to get some shit for saying that, but to me as a kid I didn't understand that there was an expected drop in quality between pre-rendered 3d and not. So yeah, that was my reasoning. For this reason I still have trouble going back to play games I missed during the N64 era. I just never developed the eyes for imagining what early 3d stuff was supposed to look like I guess. I just skipped from good 2D to good 3D and accidentally bypassed the awkward learning stage.
>>
>>2922762
You're a liar because everyone who played oot saw it as perfection. Why do you think it got so many awards?
>>
Anyone else fap to OP pic?
>>
File: ironlady.gif (2MB, 477x346px) Image search: [Google]
ironlady.gif
2MB, 477x346px
>>2922683
Hey anon.
>>
>>2922296
Turok 2 was like, the third N64 game I owned and still have never beat it without cheats. Love that shit though.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.