[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chroonnoo Crooossss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: download.jpg (14KB, 204x195px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 204x195px
Chrono Cross Anyone? Lovely story as well as a 10/10 soundtrack.
>>
The story was a convoluted mess, and the translation didn't help any. The soundtrack was fairly good, and had some great ambient and orchestral themes. The game has a lot of rough edges, but I nonetheless liked it, and still replay it from time to time.

The setting had a great atmosphere, but a lot of the cast felt really out of place. Most of the recruitable characters were walking stereotypes with cheesy accents, and they embodied cultures that don't even exist in the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross world. French clowns? Greek wrestlers? Goth dudes? Lolitas? Just where did all these wacky characters come from? CT's world was much more homogenous than that.
>>
I don't understand why people like Cross's OST. It is generic as hell. Trigger, in my opinion, had much better music.
>>
>>2920971
>the translation didn't help any
The translation was faithful, overseen by the writer, and made the story ten times more understandable and coherent than the Japanese script.
>>
This is what I imagine playing in the background when you're in Heaven with Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2w-Jo2qrSI
>>
>>2920987
I don't get it either but a musicfag friend of mine told me it's got exceptional arrangement and composition
>>
File: maximum kawaii.png (204KB, 500x659px) Image search: [Google]
maximum kawaii.png
204KB, 500x659px
Best girl
>>
>>2920996
>faithful
>better than the original script

This statement contradicts itself.
>>
File: 1403925481995.png (2MB, 1360x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1403925481995.png
2MB, 1360x1018px
>your experience reflects Serge's
>>
File: 4576517_p0.jpg (501KB, 635x913px) Image search: [Google]
4576517_p0.jpg
501KB, 635x913px
>>2920971

The story is fine. The problem is that the way it is told is poor because it goes for long stretches without saying anything about the whole Schala/Chronopolis plot, then when the game does start prattling about it again, expects you to remember everything about it.

And, at the end, it crams a good amount of information into infodumps at the end of Chronopolis and Terra Tower. If you weren't playing 100% attention before, you're in trouble.
>>
File: Based Fargo.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Based Fargo.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>2920971
>Greek wrestlers
Greco was mexican, his name was probably a reference to the painter, El Greco, just like Van and Gogh, and he fucking rocks, how many RPGs give you masked wrestlers as playable characters?

Fargo has probably the best story and character arc though, his techs are awesome too.
>>
It was great.

I remember picking it up on release along with some friends and most of us were mesmerized by how interesting the game was, really good enough to be a trigger sequel.

The battle system was simple but effective, the music was fantastic and, holy shit, it was gorgeous. The story was a little bit messy, specially due to the multiple paths you could take, but it was ok. You kept playing, the game didn't had any slow moments.

The sheer number of characters was algo realy nice. We were used to up to 10 characters in a JRPG, and having 44 to play with was amazing. Then you talked with someone and the textbox had a picture, you knew you could probably them, and finding out how was really fun.

I don't think I've seen the "cross is bad" meme until the late 2000s. It was mostly repeated by young folks that had just played Trigger and jumped into Cross tight after it, i can understand why they were disappointed.

But back in 1999 we had waited years for Cross and played a lot of JRPGs in the meantime. We were more than ready for new things and changes.
>>
I always see people complaining about how many characters there are, but is that really such a bad thing? If anything, I'd think the game would benefit from this, since it would add so much variety to the gameplay.

After all, even in games with only 5 or 6 playable characters, usually only 3 or so are fully developed and relevant to the plot. Having a massive, diverse cast is more fun IMO.
>>
File: KISS THE MOON.png (109KB, 428x134px) Image search: [Google]
KISS THE MOON.png
109KB, 428x134px
Everything in this game is beautiful.
The story is beautiful, the soundtrack is beautiful, the characters are beautiful, the link it has to my childhood is beautiful.

It's might be my true deep favorite game ever.
>>
File: 1438129382563.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1438129382563.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2920945
I played Shut Up and Jam Gaiden for the first time a few months ago. I loved every second of it, except for when the shitty Gas Pump Save Point tried to tell me that the battle theme in Chrono Cross was good.

It was absolutely not good.
>>
Serge is the sexiest video game character of all time
>>
>>2921217
>Everything in this game is beautiful.
Except how it shits on Trigger. It would have been a great stand alone game, but no, it had to be a Trigger sequel. So, fuck it.
>>
>>2921264
Maybe you should've saved Schala you cuck
>>
>>2921056
One of those things was never said in the post you quote.
>>
>>2921298
This.
I'm bamboozled by the fact that so many people don't understand what happens once you get the true end.
>>
>>2920987
Besides the crappy main battle theme, I find the OST of CC very enjoyable. One of my favorite themes ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5-lvESbMU

I don't really care for the game, but I sure love the music.
>>
>>2921818
Can someone explain why people dislike the battle music so much? I've finished the game 4 times and never found it grating. 4chan was the only place where everyone was constantly complaining about it.
>>
>>2921873
I don't find it that irritating, IMO it's just too lighthearted and catchy for a battle theme. We have to ask the true haters, to have the real answer.
>>
>>2921954
I love Chrono Cross but I dislike the battle music because I find it too shrill. I don't HATE it, but it gets grating for me. I think it has to do with the instrumentation, I never got tired of Radical Dreamer's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQGVlceiGY).

>>2921264
>>2921298
>>2921804
Honestly, it's like people who complain about how it "shits" on Trigger didn't pay any attention to the story. The whole point of Chrono Cross is to prevent anyone from shitting on what you did in Trigger.
>>
>2921264

You fucking Trigger fans wouldn't complain half as much if you fucking finished Cross and found out you essentially undo the entire game and save Schala, the one thing you never manage to do in Trigger. What other game in a series erases itself from the canon if you 100% it?

And that's why Cross fans are right and Trigger fans are slavering idiots who are going on second-hand information.
>>
If Crono wouldn't have made the Porre Mayor nice by fucking with his ancestry he'd have told Dalton to fuck off and nothing would've happened.
>>
>>2922015
You're right. We original fans are dumb for liking original writing and plot without being required to piggyback on another story's success to even get our foot in the door.

I did finish cross once. It was a huge disappointment. Worst example of a shoehorned sequel in gaming history. Mediocre game on its own.
>>
I never realized what a colossal bunch of dickbags Trigger fanboys could be until I started reading Chrono Cross threads here.

I've always loved both games. Cross being a vaguely connected pseudo-sequel doesn't make me enjoy Trigger any less. Might as well say that Pulp Fiction shits on Resevoir Dogs or that Beetles fans can't love Wings too.
>>
File: 525645-cc_kid2.jpg (56KB, 455x600px) Image search: [Google]
525645-cc_kid2.jpg
56KB, 455x600px
>>2920945
I loved CC and I bought it near release day. Its one of my favorite ps1 games. People have been bitching and complaining that its not a CT clone since the start. In life you just need to enjoy the games you love and ignore the haters.
>>
File: 1181683465838.png (23KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1181683465838.png
23KB, 450x338px
>>2926013
>shoehorned sequel
>literally an expansion of RD

Trigger fanboys are as clueless about the franchise as you can get and couldn't be further away from a true Chrono fan if they tried.
>>
>>2926196
Doesn't seem you know what a shoehorn is, how to use one, or what it means in the literary sense. It's not an expansion and I am aware of the text adv game based on the continuation of Magus's story. What you're arguing is like saying Smash Bros is an expansion of the Mother saga. Drop a character or two and completely fuck up the cannon and call it an expansion.

And FYI, shoehorning is forcing a character or arc into somewhere it doesn't belong, like forcing a love interest arc into a story that has no purpose having a love story or forcing this abomination to be connected to the Trigger universe. Cross would have been better if they hadn't made the stretch and forced the connection. It still would have had the insufferable characters, but it wouldn't have had to try to rely on prior fandom to sell copies. And if you even try to tell me Square(enix) doesn't do that, you need to pick up anything they've done a press release about in the past 2 decades.
>>
i'm playing it atm, is there a cheat to speed up the text like the one for xenogears?

i'm liking what I've seen so far but the exploration in the city is pretty annoying, you just don't know where the item could be and end up pixel hunt for it
>>
>>2927187
there is a fast forward mode after you complete the game.
>>
>>2921249
I ship him with Noel from FF XIII-2. I'm weird like that.

>>2926409
the problem is that it wouldn't have had anything make any sense without it being connected to Trigger, so at best, all that would happen is that your complaints about it making no sense would have some legitimacy.
>>
It was good, but it felt underdeveloped at times, as though they wrote out this huge design document for the whole game and were only able to use like a quarter of it. It worked fine as a sequel to Trigger though, I liked the indirect approach they took to following up those events.

I don't think much of the changes they made to the DS remake of CT to try to tie them closer together, they should have just let it be.
>>
I'm playing this right now, I want to use Pip in my party and hear you can avoid some of the glitches involving him by keeping a save right before his evolutions, which I made, but he evolved all the way before the whole Lynx switch thing. I haven't shut off the game once since but I did just get a game over on Miguel, when they rejoin eventually will I have to go back to the old save to set things straight then reload my current save or will I be able to just keep going?
>>
>>2927221
So, you're argument is that it requires Trigger to make sense and can't stand on its own? Then how did so many others play this and their intro to the series and get by just fine? The idea of using time-travel as a mechanic is not owned by the Chrono series. They didn't need to force the link.
>>
>>2927323
>but I did just get a game over on Miguel
YET ANOTHER ONE FALLS TO THE POWER OF Holydragswd
>>
>>2927425
Sorry, I messed up on what I was trying to say there (it's what happens when one gets into three or four conversations at once). I had meant that, for one to fully understand everything that goes on in Cross, some context is needed, and Cross doesn't quite give all of that on its own.
>>
>>2921264

you know is kinda hard to make a sequel to a the finished story of CT, in fact im gratefull CC didnĀ“t shit on CT story
>>
>>2921818
I love this theme too. Kind of remind me ELP
>>
>>2920987
But anon, this is fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcIZtREgbsE
>>
>>2926196

Wasn't RD and Cross made by just 1 one of the 4 minds behind Trigger?

It's OK to be a Trigger fan and dislike RD and Cross.

You can be a fan of a band, and dislike one of the band members' solo works.
>>
>>2928013
Radical Dreamers was made by 9 people who worked on Trigger. Chrono Cross had 11 Trigger alumni.

Masato Kato is the sole story plan credit for Trigger, although he wasn't the only writer. He did develop most of the story from the producer's draft (which was basically "some guys travel across time to save the world"), and he came up with the characters, too. The first drafts ever for the cast are his.

At any rate nobody has to like anything, it's okay to like one thing and dislike the other. CC and RD have different tones, it's expected that some CT fans won't appreciate them.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.