[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>game about fast character >game wants you to go fast >design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (167KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
167KB, 1440x1080px
>game about fast character
>game wants you to go fast
>design of stages is setup so if you go fast you'll run straight in hazard or enemy thus losing your rings

So, if you go slow you're better off. So why go fast?
>>
>>2919947
Because sonic a shit.

Super Mario Bros is faster paced and so much more gratifying when you blast through a level at non stop full sprint.
>>
>>2919947
Its almost as if you have to get good at the game, like the programmers didn't want it to be easy.
>>
>>2919958
I swear, a lot of young people these days have no idea how to play these games. I've seen people commenting on normal Sonic videos about how amazed they are by the speed... that's how fast you're supposed to go. You master a level and then fly through it, so when you beat the game it doesn't take 12 hours there being no save function in Sonic 2. No wonder the save staters of today have no idea how Sonic is meant to be played, they played through the levels once.
>>
>"Sonic is all about going fast"

I swear this is one that ALWAYS gets funny results every time.
>>
>>2919947
ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND
>>
>Game commercial tells me a game is all about a superficial action.
>Play game
>I don't get to perform that superficial action constantly.
>Go on 4chan to complain instead of trying to find the meaning of the game's mechanics.
>>
>>2920012
GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MY RAINBOW
>>
>>2919963

This. I can beat practically every Sonic level in under 3 minutes and some levels in less than a minute.

In Sonic Generations it is even easier.
>>
>it's an anon repeats whatever YouTubers tell him thread

So we can agree /vr/ is just /v/ at this point?
>>
the challenge is in the momentum
>>
File: 1449998492318.jpg (173KB, 700x528px) Image search: [Google]
1449998492318.jpg
173KB, 700x528px
>>2920461

Not sure, but every Sonic, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Super Metroid and a few others are pretty much /v/-tier here. It's a shame do this kind of shit with such great titles, but hey, it's "le meme culture xDDD, y take things serious at le internet?? :^)".
>>
>>2919947
As far as I remember I've never ever heard of anyone pretending that, from the 90s onward, until getting on /vr/. Who the fuck are you, kid.
>>
>>2919947
Sonic Rush fixed it.
>>
>>2919963
>they played through the levels once
No wonder all games nowaday are full of "creativity" and zero replay value.
>>
Oh fuck off.

In the '00s: SONIC IS JUST PUSH RIGHT TO WIN. SHIT GAME.

In the '10s: OMG SONIC PUNISHES ME FOR PUSHING RIGHT. SHIT GAME.

That's all you deserve. No more discussion is needed.
>>
>>2920501

It's an opinion youtubers have been spouting lately.
>>
>>2920314
CAN'T STICK AROUND HAVE TO KEEP MOVING ON
>>
>>2920590
GUESS WHAT LIES AHEAD, ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!
>>
File: never forget CIA.jpg (77KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
never forget CIA.jpg
77KB, 1000x670px
>>2919947
Sonic is like a lot of sega games. You don't just get to go fast. You have to earn your speed by gitting gud and learning the levels.
>>
>>2920575
What happened was back in the 2000s, apparently everyone only bothered playing Green Hill Zone. And now in the 2010s, people have finally gotten around to Marble Zone. Who knows what the complaint will be once they get to Spring Yard. They'll probably complain about momentum and how they can't reach the higher areas of SYZ without the spindash
>>
>>2920626
>>2920590
>>2920012
>>2920314
>This pleb shit
>Not the Knuckles raps
>>
>>2919947
>design of stages is setup so if you go fast you'll run straight in hazard

The Megadrive ones weren't set up like that. The GBA ones specifically threw you into spike pits though.

>So, if you go slow you're better off. So why go fast?

You get less score and you don't get to see how damn fast the game can get.

Going fast was OPTIONAL by the way.

And in 1992 when people came fresh off the NES, the speed in Sonic games was phenomenal, no game played like that at all.
>>
>>2919947
Guess you also complain about racing games when you crash for not using the brakes, right?
>>
but what does "Nothing can survive the will to stay alive" actually mean?
>>
>>2920007
reminder that the obstacle in op's image is untraversable if you arent moving at top speed. almost like the game's about going fast or something
>>
>>2921038
in racing games you can see what's ahead of you even in very far off distances, in sonic you just kind of run into shit unless youre somehow autistic enough to memorize the boring levels.

why do you think there wasn't ever any side-scrolling racers? because they make no sense from a design perspective and would only be frustrating. sonic got a pass on this because idk furries or something
>>
>>2921021
do you know how ass sonic is to control if you try to maintain a slower momentum? youre clearly not supposed to do it

i like how you have to betray sonic's basic design philosophy in order to defend it. almost like it's a badly thought-out game in the first place (hint: it is)
>>
File: 1417472953492.png (217KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
1417472953492.png
217KB, 500x343px
>>2921157
>>
>>2919947
>it's a WAHH SONIC IS SHIT thread
>>
>>2921157
Or maybe because you have more than a couple frames for reacting accordingly?
>>
>>2921189
>it's a defensive furry reply
>>
>>2921157
but racing games are marketed as GOTTA GO FAST too, seeing what's ahead of you is irrelevant, that will hardly matter the first time you race unless you're a racing game veteran. You have to slow down and take things calmly first in order to learn how to go fast. Sonic is the fucking same.

Also,

>why do you think there wasn't ever any side-scrolling racers?

What is unirally?
>>
>>2921303
to add more, the fucking problem is that kids like you have that school of thought of games being flawed if you don't have total command of it 5 minutes within the game. Have you played any Sega arcade? they've all the same philosophy: git gud and so on. Stop complaining about games that don't make you feel like a pro.
>>
>>2920567
While this statement is untrue, Rush had an excellent balance of mechanics.
>Trick system adds energy to boost meter, and there are tricks that "extend" and "finish" combos for extra points
>Boost meter can be maxed out for a period of unlimited use, only ending when you stop gaining points
>Can continuously trick to keep unlimited boost up, but tricks require air/rail time
>S-ranks practically require nonstop boosting to beat
>>
>>2921303
>You have to slow down and take things calmly first in order to learn how to go fast.
..no you don't. yes you make the occasional mistake but it always feels like it's your fault considering you saw the obstacle coming and had time to think about how to overcome it
>Sonic is the fucking same.
nope, sonic is fucking shit. like i said, the controls do not accommodate moving slowly at all, especially in 2. literally nobody ever plays like that and it definitely isn't how youre supposed to especially with shit like the spindash which gives you instant topspeed. so much for your "i-it's about momentum" nonsense
>>2921317
a game shouldn't make you feel like a pro within five minutes. it should work within systems that are comprehensible in the first place
>appealing to age
>git gud xD
fucking furries and their horrible arguments

i will say though sonic 3 fixed a lot of these problems
>>
>>2921420
but even at it's best sonic is still a boring series. very mechanically dry outside of "go fast" or according to you "don't go fast, but btw here's an unavoidable boost so you can go fast and instantly run into something LMAO that was totally your fault xD"
>>
>>2919947
>being this much of a red letter media sheep
>unable to form own opinion

do you hate george lucas too anon?
>>
>>2921006
I AIN'T GON' LET IT GET TO ME, I'M JUST GON' CREEP
>>
>>2921021
>The GBA ones specifically threw you into spike pits though.

I only remember Advance 2 doing that.
>>
Thing about Sanic was the pinball physics and going up and down slopes while in ball form.
Going fast was a marketing thing that America came up to sell the megadrive as a super powerful game system, much stronger than the NES.
>>
>>2919947
You can go fast once you get good.
Also:
>design of stages is setup so if you go fast you'll run straight in hazard or enemy thus losing your rings
Does not really happen. Again, I'll bet this is the result of some kid playing on an emulator or with a wireless or USB controller and wondering why he can't react quick enough. You physically can't because your input method is crippled and your visual output may even be delayed. The games are quite playable at high speed on the hardware they were intended to be played on outputting to a display that they were intended to be played on.
>>
>>2922214
Here niggus, this video should give you an idea what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnL4jlRraP8
>>
File: 1452955174936.jpg (104KB, 550x397px) Image search: [Google]
1452955174936.jpg
104KB, 550x397px
>>2920641
>Spring Yard zone
>>
>>2922206
The first one also had a lot of springs that shot you into spikes, or hallways where you could run up and they ended in spikes.
>>
>>2922218
Or you could just take the upper route before that, the one hidden behind a wall, that takes you over a quadriple loop and drops you right before the bossfight with an invincibility powerup.
>>
>>2922263
I'm just showing off the physics engine, but yeah I do know about that shortcut.
>>
>>2919947
git gud faggot
>>
>>2919947
off yourself
>>
>>2921157
>somehow autistic enough to memorize the boring levels
You mean do a few playthroughs of the game? Yeah, I have no idea who would be autistic enough to do what the developers wanted you to do instead of stumbling through it once and never touching it again.
>>
>>2925491
The fact that an initial playthrough can be described as a "stumble" no matter how familiar you get with the physics of the game just points towards it having horrendous level design.
With Mario or Mega Man, once you have the mechanics down, the game is intuition, even if you're seeing levels for the first time. With Sonic, you need to master the mechanics AND learn the levels if you don't want to be sprung into a spike pit or a wall every 5 seconds.
>>
>>2925495
Except that doesn't happen. Intuition helps you do well in Sonic as much as it does in other games unless your reaction times are really horrible. But again, why would that matter? It's a game that's meant to be replayed a lot, so the quality of its design is measured in how well it rewards players who learn it rather than how smooth of a ride a shit player will have.
>>
>>2925495
sanic is a hard game now? you are technically invincible as long as you have a single ring
>>
>>2925514
It's not hard, it's tedious
>>
>>2925495
>if you don't want to be sprung into a spike pit or a wall every 5 seconds.

Is your reaction time that bad? Are you sure you're playing it with no input lag or broken controllers? I have an hard time believing you get "sprung into a spike pit or a wall every 5 seconds". You have to actively try to be this bad, even when you're just discovering the mechanics.
>>
>>2925503
>It's a game that's meant to be replayed a lot
Uh, says who?
This doesn't apply to any other platformer.
>>
>>2925495
>if you don't want to be sprung into a spike pit or a wall every 5 seconds.
wat. Are you playing rom hacks or what, because I don't think we are playing the same game if you are talking about Sonic 1~3.
>>
>>2925520
Jesus you are thick as a slab of concrete.
>>
>>2925495
You clearly didn't play any genesis sonic game.
>>
>>2925528
Please answer the question
>>
>>2925525
>>2925529
show me a playthrough of genesis Sonic where the player isn't stopping and starting every 5~10 seconds
if you made it yourself, even better
>>
>>2925532
I'm the person you're replying to but not the person you asked..... every fucken mainstream platform game is intended to be replayed. Mario games, DKC games, Mega Man games. He made the point that Sonic levels are meant to be replayed and had this in mind, while other low quality platformers didn't.

"uh says who"... oh so he's not allowed to state something about the game himself that's commonly established without you coming up with "says who", and yet you're able to come up with your farcical generalized statement saying: "No other platformer is like that". With your logic a perfectly good response to your own statement would be "uh, says who?" That's why I called you thick, fucken retarded kid. Go away and stop posting here, sort out what issues you have in life.
>>
>>2925546
lel
>>
>>2925546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IdvyJRRH4
>>
>>2925553
I played SMB3 to the end when I was 11, not revisiting a single level unless I died.
It didn't really strike me as game that asked of multiple playthroughs, nor have I seen anyone claim that the game was meant to be played multiple times.
So why is it different for Sonic? I assume you must have heart someone say it somewhere, else it's an excuse you pulled from your ass to defend a poorly designed game.
>>
people have the most amazing hate boner against sanic, I think it's the fault of autistic fanbase
>>
>>2925567
i was thinking more an LP from someone playing the first time, who didn't memorise the stages (kind of the entire point of this discussion, no?), but even here, the dude is stopping and starting all over the place to take advantage of the maze-like structure of the game. gameplay isn't fluid at all.
>>
>>2925574
if you game over in mario 3 you have to redo all the levels in a world minus the fortress
mind you mario 3 is a much harder game than any sonic
>>
>>2925582
anyone playing for the first time is going to suck and take it slow.

the fuck is even your point
>>
>>2925584
Is that so? I don't think I ever saw the game over screen in SMB3.
In any case, the point is that the levels don't require for you to play them multiple times to go through them in a smooth manner, only that you understand the mechanics.
>>
>>2925582
it's actually the other way around because you see, in sanic as long as you hold a ring you can't die. with mario 3 you are at constant threat of dying if you're stuck in small state

mario makes you play slowly and cautious your first playthrough around while sanic pretty much makes you invincible the whole game as long as you learn how to recover a single ring
>>
Oh look, it's this thread again.
>>
>>2925590
I saw the gameover screen all the time as a child, I even started a 2 player game to have more extra lives. if one character game overs only the levels he cleared get locked away
>>
>>2925587
so you're telling me that in order to have a fluid experience with Sonic that doesn't involve running into walls all the time, you need to learn the levels? then we're in agreement
phew, got there in the end
>>
>>2925590
You obviously never played SMB3 then.
>>
>>2925590
>In any case, the point is that the levels don't require for you to play them multiple times to go through them in a smooth manner
except they do, mario 3 is a pretty hard game
>>
>>2925601
i think you made a mistake by comparing sanic to mario 3 when every enemy is extremely deadly in that game
>>
We all need
To work together
To build a better life
To make it what we feel
We have to make it real

We all need
To remember
That nothing in this world comes for free
We have to make it
What we want
Just you and me and everybody

Work it out, work it out
Think about it
Work it out, work it out
Talk about it
Work it out, work it out
Make it happen
Let's work it out, work it out
We've got to make it real
>>
>>2925598
Huh, learn something new every day

>>2925602
>>2925603
SMB3 only really gets challenging in Dark Land (as expected) where you are forced to be very careful in your playstyle. In the levels prior, the player can go at a fairly uninterrupted pace if they understand the mechanics.
>>
>>2925607
fig. 1) the Sonic fan spams threads with lyrics when he reads opinions he dislikes
>>
>>2925610
you should have really used mario world for your example
>>
>>2925614
SMW is even more fluid that SMB3, but that's sort of a symptom of being a very easy game.
>>
>>2925612
Oh . . . yeah . . .
Yeah . . .

When the day is done
When the race is won
My life has only just begun
When you're next to me
So much more I can see
There's nowhere that I'd rather be

When I'm away from you
And there's nothing I can do
Do you think the same things too?
When the time has come
I don't want you to run
You know that you're the only one

All I need is you
For always and forever
All you need is me
Remember when I say
All we need is love
For us to be together
'Cause you're my number one
>>
>>2920641
>Marble Zone

horrendous stage. I can't believe people defend this

Marble Zone would feel out of place even in a slower platforming game. It's devoid of any fun, and very tedious pushing blocks in claustrophobic spaces
>>
>>2925607
>>2925616
These hot beats are the best thing to come out of the Sonic series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-yryFIB6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9m2sHQwLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRosZzB_a8
>>
>>2925601
>you need to learn the levels

No, you just need to suck it up, git gud, and don't close your eyes if you like going fast.
>>
>>2925620
>horrendous stage

You mean you don't blaze through it? You don't even need to get on any floating platform minus just one. I even dance with the controls following the song rhythm and I don't EVER slow the fuck down.
>>
>>2925620
Marble Zone... the memories of such a beautiful, great level.
>>
>>2925620
The way Sonic 1 was structured, they made a fast level followed by a slow one because they weren't sure how players would adapt to the pinball mechanics. Starting with Sonic 2 the whole thing got more homogeneous.
>>
>>2925515

>pick up one ring, any ring
>tedious

Do you even know what that word means faggot?
>>
>>2925495

I'm starting to think you may have a developmental delay of some sort, that really shouldn't be happening.
>>
>>2925703
>Mario
>get hit, get invuln period, go forwards
>Sonic
>get hit, go backwards to pick up rings
Yes, it's tedious, boring, shit game design.
>>
If you go slow you wont have the momentum to cut enemies, go up ramps, or make distant jumps.

Also, no one ever said you had to go fast ALL the time. It's a platformer, not a racing game.
>>
File: 1453119936766.jpg (128KB, 957x1382px) Image search: [Google]
1453119936766.jpg
128KB, 957x1382px
>>2925495
You're the kind of child a mother throws off a bridge
>>
>>2919947
Fast is a reward for learning the layout of the stage.
You don't get it straight away. If you want to play Sonic once, you will go slow for the whole time.

>>2925703
>>2925705
>>2925725
what's with these thoughtless one-liners? can you all go back to /v/ please?
>>
>>2925737
Sonic threads are filled with fresh /v/ immigrants who don't want to lurk for even a day and just wanna post reaction pics all day. It's best to avoid them.
>>
>game wants you to go fast

The game doesn't want anything. If you want to go fast then go ahead, but don't blame the game cus you can't react in time or learn the levels.

git gud
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.