[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

screen tearing vs micro stutter - emulator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Icon.png (9KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Icon.png
9KB, 256x256px
Is there a way to deal with screen tearing (no v-sync) or with micro stutter (with v-sync)?
It seems like both are cancer and there is no way to avoid one or the other.

I already tried several emulators including picture related and the actual problem doesnt really come from the emulator itself, just wanted to get that part out of the way before someone suggest to try a different emulator.

Up until recently I was an original only fag but sold my collection so now Iam trying to find a way to still play some of the older games, especially on the snes.
The only two solutions I came up with is getting an everdrive or a g-sync monitor.

Iam kinda amazed how many dont care about the screen tearing/micro stutter in emulators since its actually a pretty huge deal.
>>
>>2916568
Audio rate control gets rid of stuttering by adjusting the audio output so the game will run at 60.0Hz instead of 60.098Hz, enabling smooth vsync with and imperceptable pitch and speed difference.

Otherwise you need to use video modes with exact refresh rates for every system.

Higan has the option to adjust its audio and video rates to match your system but RetroArch does it better by handling adjustments automatically with only needing to tell it your display refresh rate, and also makes microadjustments to the audio rate to keep the audio buffers from overrun or underrun due to frame time deviations.
>>
>>2916602
Intereting, I will look it up thanks.
But will it solve the problem completly or am I going to accept a few hick ups here and there?
>>
>>2916609
It works as long as you can maintain stable fullspeed emulation and don't have any external factors like Aero interfering with vsync.
>>
>>2916616
at this point wouldnt it be better just to get a 100$ everdrive? I already have a good crt.
>>
>Use RetroArch!
>Just buy an Everdrive!
>Retron saved my marriage!

Do you guys even have a life beyond shilling on /vr/ all day?

OP, any modern emulator should support vsync, and if not, double or triple buffering may prevent screen tearing. If you're trying to run an emulator that support DirectDraw rendering only, but you using Windows 7 or newer, that could be a problem. I think newer versions of Windows only emulate DD support, DD-driven vysnc may not work correctly in that case, if at all. Regardless, there should be a number of modern emulators that are compatible with Windows 7 and above.
>>
>>2916787

Somehow I knew you would show up. It's almost like you search /vr/ constantly for mentions of certain things just so you can show up and shitpost about it.

Seriously, fuck off.
>>
>>2916624
Well if you already have an SNES and CRT already, I don't see why not. But flashcarts usually don't support every game with special coprocessors, notably Super-FX
>>
>>2916787
I can almost understand accusing people of Everdrive or Retron shilling, but RetroArch is a free product lol. Wtf are you on?
>>
>>2916916
Super mario rpg uses the SA-1 chip and some other games like starfox need specialty chips but an ED v2 will play almost everything you want to play. You can emulate the rest or buy repros or whatever.
>>
>It seems like both are cancer and there is no way to avoid one or the other.
If you use vsync as the master timing source, which is possible with most emulators, you don't get micro-stutter, you get audio glitches. The unique feature of RetroArch is making minor adjustments to the audio in real time to correct this. This is obviously the correct way to do it, because the audio runs at a much higher sample rate than the video's frame rate. With correctly configured RetroArch, good hardware, and nothing hogging CPU time in the background you can get emulation indistinguishable from original hardware.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.